• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[THR] Westy's Hip Recovery Thread

OP
OP
W

Westy

Country
United States United States
Hi Mojo333 and Pumpkin, thank you both for responding. I found a long thread right here on the site that has a lot of good information on H.O. Earlier this morning I called a recently retired highly rated OS, who also happens to be an old friend. We grew up two houses from each other. He didn't do hips and practiced a bit too far from my house, otherwise I would have probably used his partner that specialized in hips.
He listened as I explained the whole thing and the timing of everything and concluded that this is most likely a direct result from the trauma involved from the surgery itself. Although not heard about much, he estimated that H.O. is more common than I imagined. He wouldn't put a percentage on it, but he was fairly certain about it being a direct result of the surgical procedure, which he described as "pretty barbaric" :) and very tough on the human body. He also wouldn't blame the OS, saying it can happen to anyone having a THR.
I put in a request through the electronic massaging system we use here for an RX pain killer. I haven't heard back. My OS is non stop busy, seeing a patient every 15 minutes like clockwork. If he doesn't respond by tomorrow, I will follow up with my GP about this and ask him for something to get me some relief. My GP, who I absolutely admire and respect a ton is the one who recommended my OS. Now I have to wait until November for the MRI of the hip. Once those results are in, hopefully we'll have a complete and clear diagnosis. Then I can discuss my options, assuming it is in fact H.O. with him.
The thread on the forum that I mentioned earlier made it pretty clear that if it is H.O. there's nothing much that can be done until I'm at least a year out from surgery.
I appreciate your responses, and am grateful to this forum. This place has a treasure trove full of information based on real life experience. That's pretty hard to beat.

BTW, Mojo333, I'm pretty mad at myself for not asking more questions during my pre surgical office visits. I put too much faith in the whole system thinking this was just a regular routine surgery. :)

Have a great week all,

Westy

Pumpkln

Country
Glad to year you have someone to help you find the right OS to address your HO.
You might get a faster response if you call and leave a message with his nurse.

Eman85

post-grad
Country
Sorry to hear of your complications. Because my hips have been bad for so long and having consulted with surgeons that were very straight forward I knew this wasn't a sure thing. The ones I consulted with were not afraid to spell out worse case scenarios and weren't booking patients every 15 min. I had one OS many years ago that allowed me to drive home and back to get my x-rays and waited for me.
This is a great procedure and does offer relief of pain that otherwise we would continue to suffer from. That said it is barbaric and does have risks, it's just a matter of weighing them out and hoping for the best. I'd never heard of HO before even with th reading I'd done. It does seem odd that you would have these bone islands happen so quickly. You said that you need to wait for a date for an MRI to confirm diagnosis, I know it's hard but I think I'd wait for that info.

Last edited:

VSlowLife

senior
Country
@Westy Try not to be mad at yourself. We can’t possibly know about every complication, and I think it is difficult to list every complication. Just like when you look at the side effects of a new medication online, there are the most often reported side effects, the less reported side effects and the rare side effects.
Since we are all genetically different, we never know which if any complication may develop.
In my experience, it seems the surgeons will advise about the major risks of the surgery, when you meet them, because those are the most important risk factors we need to know.
I am so sorry to hear this has happened to you. I “googled” H.O. hip surgery, and there are a few easy to read research papers about it. It seems to be one of those things that you may get a little bit and never notice, or have enough that you do notice it and need help with. That is why your friend could not put a percentage on it, I think.
I thank you for joining us, so we can all learn, and support you.

Mojo333

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
BTW, Mojo333, I'm pretty mad at myself for not asking more questions during my pre surgical office visits. I put too much faith in the whole system thinking this was just a regular routine surgery.
I did the same.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
@Westy .... in case this isn't the thread you found here on BoneSmart, here's a link to one member's experiences with HO. It is more common than most people realize.

I'll be interested to hear what your surgeon proposes for you if this is what's going on. Be sure and ask any specific questions you may have. We're here to support you. Just tag me if you like and I'll get back to you faster. To tag, you type the "at" sign (@) followed by my username with no space.....like this @Jamie

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Syroca
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom