THR Weight bearing concern - 6 months out

Onna can you not use multiple tags? Users with mobile devices report that it makes it very difficult for them to access a post very well as the get in the way. Also your friends who have previously posted to you will be watching your thread so there's really no need for them anyway. I have deactivate those tags. We did make an announcement about this no so long ago Use of multiple tags or alerts in posts
Any recommendations regarding exercises, bicycling, pool, stretching, massages, etc. are most welcomed.
Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
I can tell you all that an "Omniball" roller really helped me with my self-massaging.
You mean this?

[Bonesmart.org] Weight bearing concern - 6 months out


They are good but I couldn't get on with it because mu shoulders were bad and I couldn't apply enough pressure. I was very disappointed. But delighted for you! Acupressure massage
 
Yes -will not use multiple tags. Sorry. Still learning how to communicate properly on this site :-)

Bursitis pain is still under control w/last week's injection :-).... It was there for awhile.

i Asked about excercises as my left leg (LTHR) still feels far from normal 9 months out although NO osteoarthritis pain is just amazing! I had the anterior approach and leg still fees numb, tight in the front. Also, just a tad of pain/discomfort when I walk on the front of my thigh. Somewhat around the incision still. I am waiting and working toward the day as some say "I wake up and don't even realize I ever had a hip replacement!"
I hear the delight of many. Leg just doesn't seem to swing and move like the unoperated side.
 
I just caught up on your thread. I looked at your X-rays and it reminded me of my own. I had a TLKR before I had the TLHR. I limped for a long time before I had the hip replaced. My Physical Therapist recommended I see a chiropractor. She said my skeleton was tilted from all the limping. My chiropractor helped me get straightened up. It's a thought.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Mscant - thank you for your post last week :-)

I will try a chiropractor if things don't improve now that I am in less pain due to the injection.
Hopeful to hear stories such as yours. We had our surgeries about the same time as I was July of last year.
I seem behind your healing and most others but I understand all situations are different. I was 56 and in good health so I guess I felt I really should have really breezed through this. I was anterior - and you ? Leg still feels numb and tight somewhat but I do see progress.
 
Mine was lateral. I still have some numbness at the surgical sight, and I have arthritis in my spine! It is what it is, and I'm still working on my mobility. I have to get the right hip replaced, but I'm planning that on my time and no one else's! Looks like I may do it in October!
 
@Mscant well good luck to you - stretching seems to help me with my mobility - seems to loosen me up in the morning and when I stretch throughout the day (when I take the time to!) I am sure your chiropractor is there to help you also as you mentioned. PS - seems like my sneakers with all their great support help me move the best, too.

I am learning about this site and will see about how I can follow you if you post and see what you are doing regarding your 2nd THR. Warm Regards ~~~best to you ~~~
 
Onna.
I know a lady who had 2 hips done separately.
One was better in weeks.
The other took over a year.
I got 2 done together and one was much slower (many months) than the other.
I think you have a way to go still.
Joe.........
 
Josephine, OUCH!, Pewaukee - my 1st injection ever this past Thursday has brought much relief.

My surgeon's PA gave me the injection as once again the OS was not available. He said to update him in a week as sometimes the relief is not long lasting. Positive thoughts it will last.

I am now almost 9 months out since my THR - anterior approach and my recovery has also been a journey. - getting not much direction but this site has helped. I am improving but feel far from normal. My leg still still feels awkward but I will now be better able to concentrate on my stride and stretching and walking and see where this takes me. Any recommendations regarding exercises, bicycling, pool, stretching, massages, etc. are most welcomed. I can tell you all that an "Omniball" roller really helped me with my self-massaging. Gets down deep like your knuckles which can tire quickly.

I can also tell you all that the injection for my bursitis and IT tendon pain has brought much relief and encourage anyone experiencing weight bearing pain to explore this with their physician. I am disappointed that it took me 8 months to get here. Thank you all, again....

Are you doing better. I am 6 months out. The bursitis is so much better. We are now work on getting my back healthy so i can have my other hip done. I guess with both my hips being bad i walked goofy, used my back instead of my gluteal muscles when walking. Put a lo of strain on my back. So back to the pt to learn how to walk properly. The pain is crazy. I cant take anti inflamatories because he messed up my stomach so bad from aleve, prior surgery. So i ice and still cry a lot.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@Irish Joe - thank you for your encouragement. Everyone seems to know exactly what their concerns are and go to either physios, chiropractors, physical therapists, their OS, massage therapists, acupuncturists, etc.

Soon I will explore other avenues to improve as was mentioned by another BoneSmart member - that help from your surgeon's office is not always forthcoming. We have to search and be assertive. I am getting better but still far from normal.

Any recommendations as to the best place to start? Possibly a 2nd opinion from another OS but would like to possibly try a chiropractor or orthopedic (non surgeon) to see my gait and examine my leg/hip/x-rays and see where the discomfort is coming from.

Thanks in advance Irish Joe and hope you are well. I have seen other posts from you to help other BoneSmart members and you must know how much this means to us struggling to figure this all out.
 
@Pewaukee - think of the progress you are making ! Your bursitis is so much better, you say! I often become discouraged, too, as my progress is far from where I feel it should be. Yes, my bursitis pain is better ! After 9 months I still do not walk properly. As I mentioned in the above post I will keep working at getting better - I just need to find the proper direction on what to do. Now I stretch, massage, walk, and rest end of day when my leg tires. Pool excercises, too.

It is difficult because we do not know if our progress and issues are "normal" for us slow healers - or if it is something that needs to be addressed. It seems you are getting good direction from your surgeon's office (getting you PT, off antiinflammatories, having you ice, etc.) So that is great that you know what to work on.
You have a plan so be hopeful :-)
 
Today, i went to my new pt who works me so hard. When I come home i an so sore i can barely move. So i have to therapist, one is a physical therapist and the other is an exercise therapist. They both said i am nursing my hip too much. They got out a hip model and showed me the tendons and scar tissue that surround the hip area. They reassured me the hip would no dislocate and i had a lot of scar tissue i had to break up. So working hard is a good thing but they said to also know my limitations. So i cut down the water aerobics to twice a week and pt twice a week then i rest my sore achy muscles. I ice after therapy and anything else thats strenuous. The ice really helps with y workout pain. The big thing the therapist said is i have to take linger strides when walking. I tend to take small steps. The longer strides helps build the gluteal muscles which help in walking better.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sending out some well wishes to you both, it must be frustrating to still be in pain and not know the cause. Some of the unexplained post op pains do just go away but when they don't, it never hurts to seek an outside (revisionist) OS opinion or a chiro, physiatrist, massage therapist, etc. The more input, the better.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sending out some well wishes to you both, it must be frustrating to still be in pain and not know the cause. Some of the unexplained post op pains do just go away but when they doesn't, it never hurts to seek an outside (revisionist) OS opinion, chiro, physiatrist, massage therapist, etc. The more input, the better.

Thank you, I have gone to two more surgeons. The placement is fine. I waited yo long to have the surgery and my other hip is bad too so its hard fir the unoperated hip to help. Lots of issues


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@Onna123.
Its frustrating to say the least when recovery doesn't go according to pre conceived ideas. I empathise with you completely as I actually am still recovering so you are not alone here.
When I see a post like yours I like to remark that Bonesmart is here for the difficult recoveries as much as the easy ones so do keep posting. We all expect different things from recovery and I think the more active we were the more we expect from recovery. I decided a while back that I was 75% normal and I would be content with that and you know what 2 months later I think that I'm 80% so that's good. The point I make is that we sometimes need to adjust our perception of normal. Its important to at least get to the point where you say " well if I don't get any better I'm satisfied ". You clearly are not at this point.
How do you (we) get you there.
Firstly I'm not an expert so these are my feelings Onna. You will get better and quite a bit better I believe.
I can't understand this thing about people who clearly have issues dealing with a PA. Could I suggest you ring the OS office and tell them that because you are concerned with your health you wish to meet only with the OS until your problems are resolved. If they sat that's not possible them tell them straight out you want all your notes and scans for an independent second opinion. That might focus things.
Its always a good idea to Jot down in a notebook what the problems are and If possible have someone with you who understands your situation but wont talk over your head. This tells the OS that you are really concerned.
There are Orthopaedic Physios who specialise in gait analysis and seeing one would do no harm and Chiropracters and Osteopaths are also great if you get a good one but I feel you need to go to the Source and look for explanations.
Try to keep your mood positive which can be difficult sometimes but you will find I hope that when you are chasing and answer you feel more in control.
This is longer than my normal posts but I recognise the necessity.
Ask Whatever Whenever. And I get frustrated myself sometimes. I think 85%/90% is as far as I am going to get. But if I do I'll be satisfied.
Keep Well Onna.
Joe...........
 
@Irish Joe - thank you again for the encouragement and hopefully others feeling somewhat frustrated will see the value of all your words, too. I will continue to be appreciative for feeling so much better than I felt prior to THR surgery, continue to explore the different avenues for help, and continue to post as you have made me feel that I am not a "complainer" as I sometimes feel when I post my concerns/questions.

You are so correct that if we were active and with no other aches and pains - the fact that our new hip/leg does not work like the other leg causes frustration and many questions as to why and what can I do to speed the healing process up. Especially when you hear the miraculous recoveries of others and even when your OS's office seems to feel that you are not the norm and your healing is not as quick as others. You feel that you are younger than the average THR individual, you take good care of your new prosthesis, eat well, rest, etc. and you feel you are well behind others and wonder why. Was your leg in really bad shape prior, did the surgeon do an excellent job, should I have had a posterior approach vs an anterior approach, etc--you can just drive yourself crazy.

Like you also said you feel more in control as you explore your situation and have a plan.
I wish there was a support group around where you could actually SEE the progress of others who had the same procedure as we did. In a perfect world :-)
Thanks again and I hope to one day be of support to others.

All the best to you and wishing you an additional 5% progress the next 2 months :-)
 
I am still having problems with weight bearing. Today i went to see an occupational therapist who specializes in lymphadema. Basically a condition that causes fluid build up. In my case she said i had so much scar it was preventing fluid from my lymphatic system to move and it was building up causing swelling and pain when i put weight on it. So the treatment is massage, among other techniques and perhaps a compression type of capris


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Seeing an OT that specializes in lymphedema was a good decision, she should be able to help with your swelling. Less swelling should help with any discomfort and hopefully your weight bearing.
 
@Pewaukee - think of the progress you are making ! Your bursitis is so much better, you say! I often become discouraged, too, as my progress is far from where I feel it should be. Yes, my bursitis pain is better ! After 9 months I still do not walk properly. As I mentioned in the above post I will keep working at getting better - I just need to find the proper direction on what to do. Now I stretch, massage, walk, and rest end of day when my leg tires. Pool excercises, too.

It is difficult because we do not know if our progress and issues are "normal" for us slow healers - or if it is something that needs to be addressed. It seems you are getting good direction from your surgeon's office (getting you PT, off antiinflammatories, having you ice, etc.) So that is great that you know what to work on.
You have a plan so be hopeful :-)

You mentioned exercise. I am seeing a special OT for fluid retention in my thigh. This is what she said, now is a time to heal. She said do light stretches and my exercises in water, walk in water etc. Because of issues with mu bursitis she said don't do anything that required me to lift my leg to the side. She said if it hurts don't do it. She said WALK WALK WALK


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
I noticed you have not received the post op reading, you will notice the Big Tip talks about walking is pretty much all hips need. Sounds like you have a keeper in your OT.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for THRs

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
@Pewaukee - it's Onna checking in. How are you doing? I just began working with a PT (good referral, avid runner with many awards so I believe he knows hips and movement). He feels my pelvis is off. Helping me with stride --- he feels I have lots of soft tissue build up so he will massage. He also does electronic acupuncture and cool laser therapy. Anyone know anything about these treatments? Never heard of cold laser tharapy but have read up some on this. Thank you !
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom