THR Weight bearing concern - 6 months out

If you'll tell me where you are in Florida I can most likely recommend someone for you. Be sure and tag me so I will see your post quickly!
 
@Jamie thank you - I am in south Florida - West Palm Beach area - my THR was farther south.
I don't mind traveling.

I believe I am in good hands but like to have a plan as things aren't progressing as I believe they should. Then again - I understand every situation is different. I am seeing progress, though but 8 months out and feel I should be walking smoothly :-)
 
Good luck @Onna123 , I'd def do the same and it never hurts to seek out other opinions. PA's are great but I insist on seeing actual medical doctors for all diagnoses and treatments, that's just me :)

My first thr is doing well though I have a few pain spots after I've been active. As mentioned on another thread, I bought new shoes which made a *huge* difference in my gait -thanks BS! My legs are more supported and I don't use walking aids when I practice walking so I can freely swing my arms. Old wear patterns on shoes can throw off your gait.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My surgeon's also checked to see if both knees lined up.
That's a standard part of the procedure. They do it when they do a trial reduction with the trial implants and then again at the real reduction with the real implants. They also do it a third time when all the drapes are taken off the they have the patient uncovered on the table! I know this because I've been a scrub nurse for hip replacements since 1963!
I cried every time someone said, my aunt or whoever had that done and they were out and about with no cane after 6 weeks.
These are common gloating/boastful reports that are patently untrue. I wish they could be made illegal!
Possibly prior/after surgery they did a full leg x-ray to measure?
That's unnecessary as they can see what's necessary with a standard pelvic xray, like this

[Bonesmart.org] Weight bearing concern - 6 months out
 
@Josephine - thank you for the photos of the pelvis - I will try to figure out how to get my X-rays to you on this site. I have the X-ray prior to my THR, 6 week follow-up w/surgeon, and most recent 6 month appt to due the weight bearing pain. My pelvis is tipped more now than after 6 weeks -pretty certain. PA said surgeon said if we can eliminate the pain this should even itself back out. I am planning to go for cortisone injection.
Important to get you the photos :)

PS - miss seeing your photo by your sign in :)
I was delighted to see your lovely face - the woman who provides us all this wonderful guidance and support - I believe it was you. I would post a photo but I am not PC savvy - never tried to figure it out. But I will try to figure out how to post the info on my x-ray discs.
 
Actually that photo with Jo's profile recently was a wonderful member of our staff, Poppet, who passed away in February. It' wasn't Jo's photo.

I'll do some searching for West Palm Beach and the surrounding areas.
 
My listings only have a couple of names in Orlando. If it looks like the surgeon you are currently seeing (or plan to see) doesn't work out, let me know and I'll have to do some in-depth looking in the Miami area.
 
Thank you Pewaukee & Krista


Krista - I am glad to hear that you are doing better :)
I had read some of your posts and noted similarities. I appreciate you sharing your situation.
I hope to be in contact in the future w/you to share our progress.

Pewaukee - I hope your lift is helping your pain. I must say the stretching/massage I began a few weeks ago is helping me - far from perfect - but better. I don't know if you do any stretching - while I would never advise you please know how this helps me.

May I ask how your 2nd surgeon determined the leg length difference ? Exam only or scan/test?

I plan to continue my stretching, etc, get Josephine a copy of my X-rays (when I get someone to assist me with this), get a cortisone injection if needed and in a month or so if things aren't improving w/my gait and the pain I will see another surgeon for his opinion. With me, my operated leg is the one that feels shorter (I hear it typically is the opposite). I wonder since I compensated for the pain for so long prior to my surgery that maybe the tightness, pain in the operated leg, etc. is what is causing my gait to be off. I will do whatever I need to improve - it is just getting the proper diagnosis. I had the anterior approach and still also have some numbness in the front which also doesn't help when walking. My leg just seems off - but my hip seems great! No arthritis pain which I am so thankful for :)

Much appreciation to all.

I should really be journaling this journey. So I went to a third surgeon who was recommended by my PT. My PT did not think I had a discrepancy in my leg length. This surgeon said the difference was less than 1/8 of an inch and the lift was hurting more than helping. His PA felt I had an inflammation in my bursa which was causing me pain and I was unable to put weight on my operated leg. So she gave me a cortisone shot after the doctor agreed that it would help. It was amazing I had almost instant relief however the front of my thigh still aches. Not sure if it's muscular. What type of dr, deal with soft tissue issues? They want to operate on my other leg but I need to understand this whole process better because this has been somewhat of a night mare fir me.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
maybe try a physiatrist? According to one site: What is a physiatrist?

Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R) physicians, also known as physiatrists, treat a wide variety of medical conditions affecting the brain, spinal cord, nerves, bones, joints, ligaments, muscles, and tendons
 
Having similar issues. I will post more later. Long day and I fear I woudln't make much sense.
 
@Josephine ~ hello Josephine. I just attempted to send you my xrays to the above e-mail you provided me with. I do hope this information made it to you :-)
Warm Regards, Onna123
 
Yep, I got them! Will post them on here when I get a chance. Might be tomorrow.
 
@Josephine - hi Josephine
I am meeting w/my surgeon in 2 days for any injection - if you could review the X-rays I sent last Friday and provide any input it would be much appreciated. LLD, proper positioning, is pelvis tilting more (8 months) due to uneven gait/minimal pain??

I the member - 8 months out from anterior approach - still experiencing weight bearing concern. Self massage, IT band and Bursitis daily stretching is helping. Hopefully the injection will provide additional relief.

I was reading Remo7 thread and mentioned their cup might be sticking out beyond bone causing their discomfort. My thoughts are that my THR was done perfectly and that I now have to find the proper guidance to help me work with leg that was compromised for so many years.

Thank you !
 
Oops sorry - I completely forgot.

[Bonesmart.org] Weight bearing concern - 6 months out


If you look carefully at the coloured lines you will see that they although there appears to be some slight disparity between the green and the red lines, it's not enough to call it a leg length differential. However, the entire alignment of the pelvis is a little weird and almost seems like the bottom of the spine is angled somehow. I've not seen anything like this before and can't offer much more of an opinion. Sorry.
 
How did your appointment go today?
 
So I got s third opinion because the lift caused more pain. It ended up I had inflammation in my bursa and that caused me to not want to put weight on my operated leg so it looked like I was limping because of pain. The new doctor said it was 1/8 off. So I got an injection in the bursa, anti inflammatories, ice and pt. I am so much better. This has been a journey!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Josephine, OUCH!, Pewaukee - my 1st injection ever this past Thursday has brought much relief.

My surgeon's PA gave me the injection as once again the OS was not available. He said to update him in a week as sometimes the relief is not long lasting. Positive thoughts it will last.

I am now almost 9 months out since my THR - anterior approach and my recovery has also been a journey. - getting not much direction but this site has helped. I am improving but feel far from normal. My leg still still feels awkward but I will now be better able to concentrate on my stride and stretching and walking and see where this takes me. Any recommendations regarding exercises, bicycling, pool, stretching, massages, etc. are most welcomed. I can tell you all that an "Omniball" roller really helped me with my self-massaging. Gets down deep like your knuckles which can tire quickly.

I can also tell you all that the injection for my bursitis and IT tendon pain has brought much relief and encourage anyone experiencing weight bearing pain to explore this with their physician. I am disappointed that it took me 8 months to get here. Thank you all, again....
 
@Onna123 glad to see you're getting relief, long may it last! You may want to consult a revision OS to get a second opinion to give you peace of mind or an alternative diagnosis. I have found that information is not forthcoming, you have to ask the right questions but don't always know the right questions to ask which is why many people go online and happily find BoneSmart : )
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom