Guest viewing is limited

THR We are home

Ok so it has been 2 and 1/2 weeks since jy surgeryl I had my post -op visit yesterday. It was my first day out since I left the hospital. It was a full day OS , accountant , and grocery store where I zoomed around in one of those motorized thingys.

Today the Pt came and my pain has been horrible. Is it from jy outing and Therapy today
Since nightfall I have been getting all kind of surprising pain. I have been trying to wait before taking the Norco cause it knocks me out. This has been the worse pain since I came home. Jeepers :headbang:
 
[Bonesmart.org] We are home
Nessiepie, take your meds on a schedule. If what you have now knocks you out, ask your OS for something that will manage the pain but let you stay awake. But you need the meds. And, of course, you did entirely too much yesterday and then had PT today----just too much and your hip is a very unhappy camper----so that means you are, too.


Remember the mantra and follow it:
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

Now be a good girl, take your Norco and get some sleep. Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Hi Bottomshollow
You are right. I overdid it and now I am paying the price. I just took my pain meds. Good Night All :thankyou:
 
[Bonesmart.org] We are home
, I have merged your multiple recovery

threads. We prefer that you keep everything about your recovery in one thread as we have all your information in one area. This makes it much easier to answer questions or discuss concerns about your situation. Thanks for your cooperation.
 
Nessie, Judy is right. You just had a bout of the "overdoing it" and we all do it. Treatment is simple. Pull back a bit, rest, ice and elevate if there is swelling, and take some type of pain medication on a schedule for a few days. You'll feel better and ready to start again. Don't even feel bad if you miss a therapy session here and there. Recovery is measured in terms of weeks and months and you are just in the beginning stages. Slow, my friend.....slow progress is best!
 
Thank you Jamie,
I took my pain meds and slept pretty well. I guess I underestimated the toll
Being out would take. I just wanted to get as much done as possible. Bad decision, learned my lesson big time.
:sorry:
Vanessa
 
Thank you Jamie,
I took my pain meds and slept pretty well. I guess I underestimated the toll
Being out would take. I just wanted to get as much done as possible. Bad decision, learned my lesson big time.
:sorry:
Vanessa
Every day, you'll find there is something you can do you couldn't do the day before. I agree with everyone who told you to REST and be kind to yourself. :yes!:
 
Hi Hippy 12,
I have been taking it easy today. I am waiting for the nurse who is over an hour late. Soon as she leaves I am taking a nap,
 
Well I haven't been on in a while so here is my one day shy of 7 week update. I returned to work Tuesday of this week. I have driven short distances with no problem but because it was my first week a friend at work kindly offered to to pick me up and take me home. it has gone pretty well. I work in a office and have my cane. I have a slight limp and some lower back( upper buttock) pain if I am on it too much. I still am going to PT but not as frequently as a would like because I am not driving and the PT office is quite a distance from my home. I take Ibuprofen or Mobic for pain. The main issue is that my leg is a little tired at the end of the day but I have not had the complete energy drains since I have been back. A good friend who is a physician and bilateral knee replacement recipient said that it will likely take about six months before I feel alot like myself.

That gave me some relief. My main issue is the numbness in my thigh and quadracep muscle I guess because I had Anterior. The PT says I'm doing fine I guess I have to stop being so hard on myself . I guess that's it for now.
 
Hi Nessiepie. Actually, I think you'll be surprised at how much better and stronger you will feel even at 3 months. Right now is still very early, and going back to work is a huge energy drain. Give yourself lots of down time when you're not at work....your real job is healing. PT can wait too.....it's not a requirement for healthy healing....normal walking, and your home exercises will get you where you need to be. You really are doing fine.

Sharon
 
Thank you Sharon,

You have no idea how much that makes me feel better. Right now I will probably be able to go to PT only on Saturday because of work and the distance. Honestly now when I get home from work all I have the strength for is a shower , letting my dog out and maybe to make a sandwich. lol!

I have to remind myself that it has not really been that long. It is a process :SUNsmile:
 
Vanessa you so helped me realize that I am not lazy. I had surgery on Jan 22 and am working as well but by end of day I am exhausted and leg is tired. I don't have PT but I certainly felt as if I had gotten lazy over the last weeks and glad to hear that I am not alone in this recovery period. I am trying to realize that I can't do days like I did 6 months ago without exhaustion setting in. Thank you for your insight
 
Hi Nanal,
I think we made the mistake of thinking that because we are back to a major part of our regular routine we are healed, but actually although we have come a long way we still have a ways to go. I am glad to hear that someone whose surgery date was near mine is having a similar experience. It will get better. Sharon's post
was comforting.
 
Hi Vanessa,

I saw your post about injections, etc in someone else's thread and wondered how you are doing now?

I have also had many of the same types of issues you complain of since my surgery in 2011. It is frustrating when you don't get the outcome that you hoped for and expected, but sometimes that happens and we just have to learn to cope as best we can.

********from the other thread

"I had my 2nd cortisone injection for trochanteric bursitis last week, 6 months after the 1 also been in P T. For strenghthening m stretching and massage.
The combination of bursitis , IT Band, soft tissue, connective tissue issues have made recovery difficult. The 2nd shot helped significantly but it is not gone completely."

Take care,
Cardie
 
Welcome to the other side nessiepie i am 9 days post op and today was my first good night sleep at home.
Rest all you can and pump your feet!
It only gets better!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom