THR We are home

Nessiepie- I too had constipation issues but after trial and error I think things are on the mend. Every day gets better with small steps. My energy is better every day and hardly take naps at all. Trying to get the night sleeping better. I think I need to take pain meds to help me relax going to try something till I get it right. Take pain meds on PT day as she works me really well and this helps me relax after. I have bee home a week and trying to be patient on this recovery process. Hubs has been wonderful tome.
 
Nessipie,

Are you using stool softners? They've been my friend whenever on narcotics. My friend who's been caring for me feeds me lots of salads and fresh fruit. Even still, I have to be careful or the pipes do block. The Colace/senna my Dr. Prescribed is a last resort as it gives me too much abdominal pain, but it may work for you. My lower pipe is touchy, and others may be Ok with stronger stuff.

And going without a lot of the green stuff because of the blood thinner makes it harder. Being home will help you feel better, and 10 days out from surgery feels like a turning point. It does get better and better. And remember the motto here, and sleep when not feeling well. But bowel meds are our friends. :)
 
Nessiepie! Congrats on your surgery. I'm so excited for you and can't wait to follow your recovery. You are doing great!
 
Hey there, try drinking a little hot prune juice before bed, drink a Danactive in the morning and if that doesn't do it, buy some Lactulose. It is good stuff and was recommended to me by an internal med guy who did my pre-op workup. Its OTC but they keep it behind the counter.
 
Hi All,
12 days post op. I still need pain meds. I still feel wobbly. I think I will feel better after seeing my OS. I had a major meltdown yesterday. Cried off and on all day. Don't know why :boohoo:
 
Sorry to hear you've been a bit wobbly. Recovery is one day at a time... I think that having a general can quite often cause a weepy episode a few days afterwards.
 
Aw, Nessipie <big hug>

I'm still on pain meds, and I think most people 2 weeks out need them. I'm also on a cane, and may be for awhile. My leg lengths feel off, and i lurch when I walk. Don't cut back on the meds until your body says so. We're all different in our healing.

Are you making sure you're eating right and getting help with what you can't do? I attribute a lot of my feeling good to keeping up the B vitamins and iron. But you're on stronger blood thinners, so I don't know what you can/can't do diet wise.

And it's ok to cry; you just had major surgery. And don't compare yourself to others, I can't say that too many times- we all have our own timing. I'm seeing my OS in a few hours and I'm excited, so I understand your happiness. Hopefully, he'll release me to do more. You,just take care of yourself, Nessie, and come and see us for any reason, 'k?
 
Nessipie... its the post-op blues and entirely normal. So now you do know why! We've all been there and done that: in fact having a big old person is very good for you. Hugs to you, it will soon pass and just be a vague memory, promise!
 
[Bonesmart.org] We are home
Nessiepie, oh, Nessiepie, of course you still need your meds. You're not even a full 2 weeks post op. The surgical pain is going to be with you for a while yet. You're going to need the meds for at least 8 weeks and possibly longer.

The meltdown---let me remind you: Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Things will slowly begin to get better--these first 2 to 3 weeks are tough on some of us. Get that chin up, find a smile, get some positive thoughts going through the brain----YOU CAN DO THIS!!! I have faith in you----have some faith in yourself.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] We are home
 
Thank you Vida, Tired Hippy and Bottomshollow.
I neededto hear these reassuring words. I read the article again and that explains it. I know I am guilty of every thought. I don't know what I was expecting but apparently for me it was somewhat unrealistic :umm:
Patience is what I need to have
 
I'm HappyHippy now Nessie :). I'm like a butterfly newly out of the cocoon (right). Unfortunately, I still have this loose skin under my neck ... Guess they forgot to do the plastics while I was under. Hard to imagine how someone becomes a surgery junkie and does this on a regular basis, eh? Especially when the bruises are on your face and not your bum. I'd do a few nips and tucks (very minor) if I won a lottery, but not liposuction. Makes me hurt to watch it, and I'll still need muscle tone.

I decided last week that being TiredHippy didn't fit anymore, and Jo was nice enough to change my nick. We are what we're called, right?
 
Hi nessiepie and happy hippy, my dr has only prescribed half an aspirin now I am two wks post op and said I should wear stockings but not mandatory if I chose not to. I try and stay as active as practical.

I am on x8 panadol a day and swap one for a panadeine forte at night of it has been a rough day. Nessiepie I promise in another week it will be a totally different story I cannot believe the change day by day bit by bit. Roll on six weeks!!!!

Let's keep saying the tortoise won the race xxxxx
 
Ahh, Nessiepie, you are doing well, the first 3 weeks especially are the hardest. I know for my next surgery I am going to drink liquids and eat prunes, or as they are now called, dried plums, the plums sued that they were being stigmiztized, till they are coming out my ears. Last time it went beyond constipation and reached the impaction stage. I do not want that again.
 
bellaroma Beth..See if you can get some Lactulose from the pharmacy. Its a great help. The Mayo Clinic also recommends having a Danactive drink daily but start doing it a week before surgery. Drinking half a cup of hot prune juice before bed is also a good thing. All this, plus the shriveled plum treats, helped me avoid the vile post-op plug-up.
 
Bellorama ,

Impaction is life threatening. What a foul death to die full of .... I know a few people that would be an appropriate death, but not any of us. Lots of water, fiber and awful stool aids if needed. My dr. likes people to take Milk of Mag every day, I take Colace/senna and plain stool softeners. Milk of Mag if not much has been happening that day.

Stargirl, no stockings and small amounts of aspirin? I don't know the labels for non-USA meds. I have a high dose of painkillers because I was on for 6 months and it will take awhile to get off. My dependence is higher than I'd like it to be, but it's not time yet to come off.

And Nessie, I hope you're not in the snow zone. I'm worried for everyone in it's path. Our early hippies in the storm zone could really have a rough time. I hope you're feeling a little better.

H.H.
 
Hi nessiepie I'm 17 days post op and can still get down, angry weepy and question if I should have had procedure still even though I could not move one step without agonizing pain beforehand!!! I had my first public outing with my cane only yesterday other than pt because I am self conscious but truth be known everybody has their own issues and whilst might take a curious glance to think about what the 35 yr old with a cane is doing , quickly revert back to their own lives.

It was so enjoyable to feel the sunshine on my face again and put done lipstick on :) I strongly recommend a little natural vitamin d courtesy of our wonderful sun wherever you can get it from , even your own patio will do.

I am away from all my family other than my wonderful husband, so it really has been an exclusive time to reflect, heal and be reborn .

HappyHippy so coincidental you should use the inalergy of a cocoon I have told my family several times I too am within a 'chrysalis ' and will emerge stronger and better for them all xxxx

Every day is slightly better until our grand people before us advise fast forward six weeks or so and we understand why we had to put our temple through the wars to be rebuilt and regain so much of what we had each lost.
 
I think it's hardest the first time too, like it is for you Nessie and stargirl and a few others I'm missing. You have no idea what to expect when, and the days can seem like they go on forever. Does it feel like Christmas was recent? It was 6-7 weeks ago. Time is always racing ahead. I find it helps if you don't focus on how long your day feels, but mark the time in weeks. It helps you see what progress you're making. And you can keep a daily log of "what I did today." That can help you notice you're moving ahead. You'll have days too where you overdo the day before and have to take it easy the next day. That goes on for months, just less often. You've seen the "I biked 10 miles today instead of 5 and now my leg hurts." That will be you in a couple of months. This is truly a journey, and it's different for each of us, but we do get better, even if it takes a second time. :)
 
Thank you everyone. Today is 2 weeks. I feel stronger than before. Pt really worked that leg. I had so much swelling before my leg was so weak. Prunes are now my friend, lol . I use my pain meds because now more than ever I think my leg (hip) is coming back to life. My OS' s nurse said the first 2wks are rough. So many of you have said the same thing and that is comforting. Thank you :thankyou:
 
Seems to me that prunes have had a bad rap. Long live the prune!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom