wberry's First Timers TKR Nervous Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not that he hasn't, he has, but when he started his practice there he stopped. He spent 10 minutes detailing all the risk factors and how strongly he felt about not putting patients through bilaterals. i have been working with i for like 7-8 years now, so I pretty much trust his work and opinion.
 
Understood Phil....my OS and I reviewed the difference the risks and I felt that being under once versus the cumulative time going under twice was as acceptable risk trade off..by a spinal and sedative the blood loss is minimal and he rarely has anyone need blood...all in all I am glad I went the bilateral route of one and done.....I did the compression stockings for 2 weeks and heparin injections too...glad it's behind us though.....:santawave:

Vinny
 
Well my choice is to continue as planned or find a surgeon that will do two. I don't fell comfortable with trying to do that considering how much I know and trust my surgeon. The time it will take and the travel distance is much greater. What are heparin injections?
 
@vinny Could you exspand on your exercises preparations you did. As much detail as possible would be appreciated. I have access to large game at work and also a small personal gym at home. The friend I my church also mentioned he did a lot of exercises the strengthen his quads and such and it made his recovery faster. He also mentioned he was pretty much off his pain mess by week three. I have exactly three months to prepare for this, so I want to be int the best shape I can, looses as much weight as I can and be ready to give my body the best chance I can. I have no idea what my recovery will be light, but I am optimistic. Thanks in advance for your reply.
 
I have noticed that most got pain meds beyond two weeks. When I asked my surgeon, he said major narcotic for two weeks then high does non narcotic from then on. What do I do if the non narcotic, ice and elevation don't do the trick at week three. Should I establish in advance some flexabily with him when it comes to the post-op pain medication. Now I dislike those narcotic meds and have always tried to get off them sooner rather than later. I just hate the way they make me feel. But this TKN is going to be a totally new exsperiance for me. I have had numerous surgeries, my most resent a kidney surgery for a lodged kidney stone, and I was on morphine for two weeks and it barely helped with the pain. What can i exspect.
 
Wberry for my quads I did as many squats as possible starting with the big gym ball behind my back against the wall slowing going down and holding as long as possible...I could only hold a few seconds at first but worked up to a minute. Also sat down on the bench and stood up without using my hands as often as possible usually 3'sets of 10. Legs presses 3 sets of 10 using light weight and gradually adding as much as possible but with more emphasis on reps than weights.....I had access to the machine where you sit and lift the weight up at the ankle with both legs and the one leg alternating legs at 10 reps...lying on my stomach and lifting up at the ankles..also lying on back with rubber bands at ankles lifting legs a few inches off floor and stretching to the side to strengthen inner thigh....arm focus was on triceps with pull downs and barbells...I tried to gradually increase weight doing 3 sets of 10...
As far as pain meds go I think everyone is different as I used the morphine the fist night of surgery and that was it....they also gave me so pills for pain on day two and 3 and my discharge was on day 4 and I found I did not need any pain meds at all using ice if I felt discomfort..
For me the process has been easy as I got rid of the cane by day 12..yesterday as 6 weeks post op and I played golf yesterday and today...I plan on trying to walk the course tomorrow for the first time....if I can be of any help at all please let me know....preparation will be a very big help.......

Vinny
 
I'm hoping your doc is not arbitrary on the narcotics. Everyone is different as far as how long they need them. Some for a couple of weeks, some for more. For me I needed pretty strong ones on a regular schedule for the first two weeks and then stepped down to weaker ones for a few more weeks. You may only get a couple of weeks worth of pills at a time so the doc can reassess how you're doing. I'd say don't fret about it, but stay in communication with your doc after the surgery.
 
Thank you both for your excellent info. I will start my work outs tomorrow. Have a nice gym on campus where I work. Will do three days a week there, MWF and Three days at home in my small gym the other days. Sunday will be rest day. Planning diet and weight management to drop more weight before the surgery. Have my cryo cuff still, but going to get some gel packs also. Looking for elevation wedge and extra pillows now. I will be doing post op classes at the hospital in February and seeing PT for post op exercises as well as ROM measurements in February. Good planning and preparation and exercise, following the great advice I get here, and paying attention to my knee should lead to a successful recovery.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Best of luck with your preparation, I hope all goes well. Holly
 
Update! Changed my date, now it is sooner March 9, 2015.
I originally had a commitment I thought was on March 15, 2015, but found out the date was after my original surgery date. I decided this surgery was more important. So I cancelled the commitment and moved the date up to the other earlier date the doctor had in the schedule. It will reduce my prep time, but I would rather move onto the next phase sooner rather than later.
 
Best of luck Wberry, good positive thinking, I am sure you will have a very successful surgery, I am on the other side and doing great, surgery was much easier than I thought it would be.

Holly :SUNsmile:
 
Hi Wberry, I'm an older timer, popping in for a visit. It's been 2 1/2 years since my bilateral tkr. While bilateral was the best decision I made in my opinion, for me, you just need to trust and go with what your surgeon feels is best for you, and for him as a surgeon. You should have a good result either way. In my case, it was the surgeon's experience that made him comfortable in doing both. 18,000 as a career total, and more than 350 per year (with another 150 hips - he only does knee and hip replacement. He is strictly a surgeon. I went to another orthopedic doctor, through a different health system actually, for the years of treatment leading up to the big day.) Surgery took 90 minutes, and I had 3 1/2" and 4" incisions (that were glued, so I could shower almost right away). That's where extensive experience shows itself. So I was not under anesthesia for an extended time. Bilateral possibly has a slight increase in risks, however, it isn't clear that the risk of undergoing surgery twice isn't riskier in itself, as your exposure to the risks of one surgery is doubled. I'm not trying to have you rethink, or doubt the decision your surgeon has chosen, but to clarify the issues for others reading this and trying to make their own decisions. Either way, you are going to eventually be happy with your new knees if you are like the vast majority of us! I wasn't really up and walking until after about a week, but then my recovery was rapid and really amazing. I was walking unassisted, without pain, at two weeks! Doing one at a time, it would have been easier getting up at the beginning, but others here with bilateral had a better first week than I did. There is an advantage in having them done close together, as they are recuperating roughly at the same time, and there is not the problem of favoring one over the other and having to force a normal gait. I personally can't imagine having had to go through two surgeries, but even that is quickly behind you and the focus on the long road of recovery ahead is what will be the same. In the end, this surgery gave me my life back, and it's been a wonderful thing. Good luck!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Wow, thanks @Janet2012, this is great info. I think mine and actuially the entire group of surgeons are on the same sheet of music. My wife said that financially everyone makes more with two separate, sometimes economics can drive the boat also. For me, the diecision of when to do the second one will be tricky. I will either do it asap or if I can't get it within a couple of months, might as well wait till next year perhaps.

Took care of my dental yesterday. Still don't understand why i got the talk about needing antibiotics for at least two years if i go to the dentist after the joint replacement. Can someone explain that to me?
 
Some feel the risk of infection is greater to the implants if dental work is performed...my OS does not follow that protocol
 
Hi WB for some reason I have missed this thread, so my 2p all at once...
I know I can't expect to be back to my 20 year old self with my knees, but I want to at least be able to go on vacations to Disney World, hike in the mountains, and maybe do some light skiing again.
I am now just on three years and my knees are as good as they can really be, there's no reason you shouldn't do all the things mentioned.
I have a question about what does it feel like with both your knees replaced. I mean is it like having your old young knees back, or is it different, what does it feel like when you walk on them. does it hurt, like my arthritic knees do, or is there no sensation at all.
The arthritic pain is gone on the very first day, that awful sharp pain deep in the knees. All the rest of your leg will hurt, mind...

Walking continues to improve; after a year you'll think it's wonderful, but you just get more and more used to it.
But I want to be able to hike, mountain bike, light skiing, play tennis and do all of my photography stuff including weddings again.
Tennis is the only one I'd worry about. The standard wisdom is that it's impact that can cause problems, so running and twisting around not so good.
I plan to start working out on my quads and legs extensively and also do upper body strengthening to help me with my arms for support.
I'd concentrate on the upper body, that's what you'll need in recovery.

I had BTKR and like Tim I think it's a fine way to go. However, in the grand scheme of things having them done only a month apart is 'almost' bilateral. What I mean is that four weeks is a short time in the recovery period, which is a year at least (you can see my own recovery from my sig, below).

I'd encourage your surgeon to go for the minimum gap. This is because - as you've already realised - one is really just 'marking time' between the two procedures.

Losing weight will make recovery easier, you haven't so much to haul about, so will put less stress on those recovering knees. When you have recovered you'll be able to do more or less what you like - with the caveat about running - so that further loss will be less difficult than now.

Going back to work too soon is often an mistake. I know that after four weeks I was still mentally as well as physically challenged. Take as much time as you can - post TKR is the one time in life where being very self-absorbed is the way forward. Sitting watching telly is not being an idle bum, it's a proactive structured recovery programme. That's not a complete joke, either.
 
@wberry you have received great advice regarding this life changing event..I don't know if you have looked at my recovery thread or not but I cannot help but notice some similarities and concerns that you and I have had....my result,from what I see, is at the best end of the spectrum.....riding my motorbike at 17 days and back to work part time at my desk job(semi retired on 15 hours a week)played golf at 29 days all with my Doctors approval... It is not necessary to lose weight for surgery but it can only help to do so and the fact that you have lost 60 shows that you have great determination because that is not easy...each pound off of your body is 4 pounds of pressure off of your knees plus the added benefit to your heart and quality of life not to mention your mental well being....I was 5'10 and 245 and got down to 184 before settling in at 195....I've gained 10 since the surgery because of being sedentary and eating comfort food over the holidays... I also see that you have posted the Karate guys video on your thread as he was my inspiration and I was able to duplicate his efforts off all meds and pain free at hospital discharge and off the cane at day 12 so it can be done but all the stars were in alignment for me..
One area where I would respectfully disagree with Roy is the focus of your pre surgery exercise...my trainer works with many of my OS patients and she focused on my lower body primarily and triceps secondarily with the theory that the quads and all muscles, ligaments and tendons around the knee will help with mobility post op and the arms helped get off the toilet and out of a chair which seems to make sense to me.

I would not expect 20 year old knees but my 67 year old knees feel great better than I can remember and I have a whole new lease on life..you will too..

Vinny
 
The reason I say to concentrate on upper body is that much leg strength will be lost anyway in the first weeks of recovery.

But it could be that I was just lucky in that being a keen cyclist for 30 years my legs were pretty strong and supple.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom