wberry's First Timers TKR Nervous Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.
@vinny I am wondering if there are some exercises i can do that put less stress on my knee. I am doing the reps, but the pain is getting so bad on the knee I can't do as many or with much weight increase to make progress.
Currently I am doing the following:
Presses 10 rep x3 wt 180
Leg curls 10 rep x3 wt 110
Leg extends 10 rep x3 wt 90
Squats 20 rep x3 wt(none)

I had another injection about a month ago, but it is not doing anything at all on the right knee.
So with having to fall off on the reps and the weight to about half of what I was doing, I may not have enough build up to help with recovery.
 
Well my implant may be switching to Stryker, in name only - look who is planning to buy them:
broken link removed: https://www.onlinetmd.com/medical-device-manufacturing-stryker-smith-nephew-1615.aspx#.VOOKRiyVnhU
 
@berry much of my focus was on squats with the large ball against the wall and in front of bench...the ball I started with squats and could only hold for 5 seconds and by the end I was up to 2'minutes....also squats down to the bench and started collapsing to the bench when my butt was over a foot from the bench and by the end I squatted and held 1 inch from the bench and tried to stand up coming straight up with arms crossed in front on my chests...also did tons of arm work with focus on triceps to help get up chairs ,etc. I have to tell you it hurt a lot at first but as muscles built up in took a lot of pressure off the knees themselves...I would not get any more injections as there is a risk of infection and they most likely only offer temporary relief. You are using a lot of weight somI would cut back the weight and do more reps if it is less painful...

Vinny
 
My OS told me the best possible thing I could do up to surgery was bicycle - great to build quads, range of motion and the easiest on your knee.
 
I have a recumbent bike I can ride that all i like indoors, I will add that to my list
 
Personally, I wouldn't punish my knee with squats.
 
Looks like I am almost done.
Labs are all done, xrays done, PT pre visit done, EKG done, taking my massive amount of vitamins.
Last thing to do is the pre-op with the surgeon, physical with my primary and Joint center class.
17 days to go. I almost wish I could move it up again. I already went from March 25 to March 9.
I think I am excited, but will be overcome with nervousness again the day before.
 
Hi @wberry I was the same leading up to k-day. I have to say though that after reading the pre and post threads on BS I was not nervous...I knew ehat was going to happen and what to expect (well the range of outcomes). Keep reading it really helps to understand as much as possible. Cheers Maggie x

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
True, I just hate the fact I have to do this again later. I think I will play it by ear and see how the other knee feels after it gets a functional new partner.

Anyone else needing both done and waiting on the other? How does the real knee verses the new knee feel. How well do they work together? Any comment from the crew?
 
One of the nice things about my PT appointment Pre-Op.
They not only did all the measurements, I heard here say, that's enough, don't bend until it hurts.
Also they measured my known swollen knee so they knew what they needed to get back to after surgery.
She was an older PT, and she was really frank and realistic about my potential progress after the surgery.
So I think I have a good PT.
 
I have a clear green light. Saw my physician for physical today and the otho doc two days ago.
They are both happy, labs look great. My primary thinks I will do very well. he joked that most of the time he has folks in there 70's getting this done and they don't do well in rehab.

The ortho thought I might have to have a redo before I die, well if I live to 85 or more maybe.
I am hopping this knee last a long long time. i intend to loose weight and take good care of it.
Couldn't get him to commit on when we should do the other one. he want to wait and see, since the left is in much better shape than the right. Though the left pops and clicks like the right, but doesn't heurt like the right does currently.
 
True, I just hate the fact I have to do this again later. I think I will play it by ear and see how the other knee feels after it gets a functional new partner.

Anyone else needing both done and waiting on the other? How does the real knee verses the new knee feel. How well do they work together? Any comment from the crew?

I need both done, but I'm planning to do one at a time. I have my pre-op appointment on April 8, and I'm going to ask about staged bi-lateral just for curiosity, because I hadn't heard about that method before. I'm pretty sure I'm going to stay with the current plan of one now and the other later. I think that's my doc's preference, and I think it will be mine as well.
 
I took this with my cell of my knee's
I am getting the right one replaced, the one with no gap on the inside.
@vinny, @kneeper, @referee54
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] wberry's First Timers TKR Nervous Cat
    IMG_0867.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 201
Last edited by a moderator:
you may find that after you do the right it will feel so much better that you won't want to wait long for the other...

Vinny
 
Well, your probably right. The left doesn't hurt unless i walk on it a lot. Now it just clicks and pops.
 
Can you believe that our surgery is only 10 days away??? My left knee also pops and clicks but otherwise does not hurt but my OS kept asking how my right knee was so I wonder if he saw something on the x-ray. I will be talking to him about that when I visit on Wednesday even though I won't be able to do it for at least a year due to my work schedule. I just wonder if it's going to hurt after the new knee is in because the left knee hurts so bad that it may mask how much pain the right is in already, get what I am trying to say?

Have a great weekend, I am off for a retreat this weekend, I am squeezing in as much fun as I can now!
 
@Blendab1 Yes, my nerves are getting on edge, but like I mentioned earlier my primary thinks i will have a great recovery. So I am pumped and eager to get it done and move onto a better life for myself with a new knee. Did you get all your pre-op stuff done? I just have my Joint replacement class on Monday to attend. Well, my left pops but doesn't hurt unless i walk on it a lot, meaning a trip to Disney World level walking. It still responds to an injection and it last for about a year. I have to spread mine out to build up enough sick leave and regular leave at work. 5 weeks is gonna clean my current balance out anyhow.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom