Revision TKR Wberry knee is up<

Back to the reading board I go, for some reason 2 weeks got stuck in there as a timeline mark.

No, I'm not exceeding the recommendations, I am actually doing less sometimes because it hurts.

I was just looking for the location of the light at different layers of the tunnel. I obviously need to be more patient.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@wberry - you need to be WAY, WAY more patient, sweetie. I'm 8 weeks post-op, still walking with a cane, still have a LOT of stiffness, still have difficulty sleeping at night (hence writing this post at 2:30 in the flipping morning)!

I go back and refer to the literature posted here often -- what a wealth of information! You'll get there, but it won't be today, tomorrow, next week, or next month! Please slow down and don't push it. Your leg will respond when IT is ready, not necessarily when YOU'RE ready. :-)
 
@SeptemberZen and @Josephine Thank you so much,I appreciate the reminder and the hey buddy slow down and do it right. I have gone back a sesiously read everything I should have before, no skimming this time. Now I am just stunned at how much of an idiot, and getting cart before the horse I have been. I am sure @referee and @vinny and several others will give me a nice poke sooner or later also. I see thinks more clearly now that I can see this more long term without any hard mile post in the way. And I am up since 4:00am reading, icing and elevating be cause my sleep schedule is in the knee's area of control.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry @wberry for some reasons I did not receive your tags...you really do need to be more patient..not even a week out and it is difficult to lift the leg up and down after the surgery...your muscles have been weakened substantially as a result of the surgery....I pushed myself in the beginning because I was very fortunate not to have pain issues and felt I needed hard PT to improve...once I backed off and did mild slides and little mini squats in the shower(4 weeks out) I started to improve dramatically....at this point get your your sleep when you can and get the pain balanced out...I am not a big believer in narcotics just to take them if you have no pain but if you do then you need to take them and just know the side effects...when I was on that PCA in hospital I saw all kinds of things coming at me... by the way not much of a poke from me as we are all different on this journey just try to resist your natural urge to push and chill out and go with it...your knee will be awesome and you will love it very soon....remember you are no longer and airborne ranger living a life of danger.....:heehee: although once an airborne ranger always an airborne ranger....

Vinny
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You're more than welcome, @wberry. I'll say it a million times: On this journey, I have learned that recovery does NOT happen in a linear fashion.
Some days you feel like you've turned a corner and then a week later, you're so stiff and tired, you can barely get out of bed! If you make too many goals, you are bound to be disappointed and frustrated. Hard to give up control, I know, but your knee is in charge right now and it will let you know when it's ready for next steps! :-)
 
Very true, I have to start calling it my knee mind. I am much happier today. I refocused and know I need to move with my knee. Another nice thing happen today. I went to work today for 4 hours and my mind felt normal and involved. I purposely am on the part of my 24 cycle that is extra strength Tylenol all afternoon. Calm down, I'm an IT guy, so I am sitting in the recliner and I'm remoted into my system and my desktop. On Monday I will take control of the robot so I can move around. Have a video teleconference meeting on Tuesday. I'm only doing 4 hours and that's it. I need time to rest, PT, and ice and elevate.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Anyone got any recommendation on sleep. The knee master mind won't let me get more than 4 hours before I am up and turning in discomfort. My meds are good, so I am hoping for any advice.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
:bored:Welcome to the not-so-wonderful world of post-op knee surgery. You could set your watch by my knee. I wake up 3.5 - 4 hours after I take a pain pill every single night. I sometimes get up and move around which helps a little, or I just take a Percocet.
Very frustrating! If anyone here has a cure for this, I'd truly love to hear it.
 
Hey @wberry 4 hours!! not bad...what worked best for me was a pillow between my knees...I am a side sleeper and found every time I turned I clanged the knees together the pillow kept me from turning a lot and also the knee knocking together..

Vinny
 
At this point, I'd give my eyeteeth for four hours of uninterrupted sleep! :loll:
Hang in there wberry. The ones that have gone before us keep promising that this does get better too!
 
Right now I have 4 primary positions:
1. Back with foot and calf on pillows
2. Slight turn to right side which pulls the left leg up and behind the right as I turn.
3. Slight turn to left with right knee lagging behind, but against a small pillow bid the left
4. Right full over a curl, with right pull up and the under from behind.


All these start out great until the knee mind decides something is pulling my quad, or nows a good time to remind you about your staplers, or here is a fake **** in the upper caff where they did the surgery tourniquet , or these yet hoses are to tight. It's like the knee has a list it just runs down. Then there is the ever present, o I don't hurt, just ack a bit.


So folks we have much to be blessed with the knee mind.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Your tourniquet was most likely applied mid thigh
 
No, I'm not exceeding the recommendations, I am actually doing less sometimes because it hurts.
That is the right idea!!! "Less is more" is the right way to go at this time period.
I was just looking for the location of the light at different layers of the tunnel. I obviously need to be more patient.
That location for the light is a looooooooooong way off right now. Remember that it may take upwards to a year to be fully recovered, and victories now are measured in very tiny increments. That light may be over the horizon at this point in time, but it is there and you will reach it.

Anyone got any recommendation on sleep. The knee master mind won't let me get more than 4 hours before I am up and turning in discomfort. My meds are good, so I am hoping for any advice.
I think that the length of my recovery was first and foremost, the most frustrating aspect of my recovery, but sleep issues were a close second. Again, please be patient, and sleep when you can---these problems will slowly subside in time. i would fall asleep and BINGO!!!! I would wake up and wander around the house.

Back then, I played about a gazillion games of pinball on my computer. Then I would crash eventually around 3:30 or 4:30 in the AM. I feel your pain and can certainly commiserate with you.
 
Sleep is something that we are all learning to deal with..I am a side sleeper and have only been able to sleep on my side for about 10 min then my knee starts hurting and I have to go onto my back...Im almost 4 weeks out..I would love to sleep for 4 hours straight! I nap a lot during the day so I take advantage of those...This is a wild ride with lots of ups and downs, we just need to keep on top of our meds and patience! Hope you have a great day!
 
Hey, I asked my PT's at least once a week, "When am I gong to lose this limp?" "When will the stiffness go away?"

They smiled and said that they would disappear. The limp took about five months to pack its bags---and the stiffness went bye-bye with it.

It was six months before I was at around 80%-85%, and it was not until about eight months when I would say that I was at 90%-95%. I had to reach deep down inside myself for patience that I did not know that I had.

You will reach our destination of being fully recovered, but it is something like boot camp---just focus on the task at hand, get through today---tomorrow will take care of itself and we will worry about it when it gets here.
 
Very nice, well we know improvement will come.

OUCHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

I fell today, fortunately just my pride and not my knee.
Coming in from the car, doing the old up with the good leg and lost my balance and fell straight back onto my butt.
My wife was in despair while my youngest son came to try to help me up. In this instance all of his 6.4 240 pounds of muscle and youthful brawn was a great help. I did the same steps again with some backup support.
I didn't feel any pain lances from the knee, so it was probably a toy soldier topple. No torn staples and bleeding from the knee scar either. I'll talk to the PT about it in an hour.
 
Oh no! Wberry, hope your pride and your knee are not too bad...falls are scary...glad someone was there to help you....now that you are home get some ice on that knee and rest!
 
Yea me too. He is putting together the ramp I built two years ago when my Mom visited, she is A stroke patient.

PT was not happy, they also warned me about how my right leg flops out to the right. I'm kind of like, daw I can't make those muscles work that do that in the knee. So we prop two towel rolls under it. I made it to 72 today, not sure how I did the extensions, but it's not 0. PT says I am putting to much weight on the walker, and it should be going on the operative knee. I told them when I try to stand direct it both hurts and seems wobbly. Any advise folks?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Now I am happy and nicely clean. Transfer bench in place and okay to take sower. No problem with complying on this end.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back
Top Bottom