Revision TKR Wberry knee is up<

The moderators will know more but I think those two blood tests look for inflammatory markers in your blood -- maybe screening for an infection?????
 
3. I am to get a ESR and CRP blood test, will be doing that today. What are they?

ESR - AKA Sed Rate - Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate

CRP - C Reactive Protein

Both are nonspecific tests for inflammation, the CRP test is also more representative of the acute phase of the inflammatory process. More than that, you need to Google.

Julie,
labrat
 
Sounds like my new OS wanting to do blood work..:

Glad things is looking up for you... Xxxxxxxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
I like that the doctor sat with you and explained what he thought was going on and what options you have. Also that he was comfortable with you getting another opinion. A good sign.
 
Has anyone else with the Smith & Nephew had this issue?
Can you tell me exactly what type of device you have? S&N have a few on their list.
The solution was to both to remove the section that was binding and release. In the patients case his knee cap has already broken off at the point they impacted. Josephine, wondering if you have ever heard of this?
Only a couple of times and usually the basic issue was nothing at all to do with the implants. For him to imply that the implants are at fault is somewhat disingenuous in my opinion.
3. I am to get a ESR and CRP blood test, will be doing that today. What are they?
Julie is correct in her description. Seems to me your surgeon is covering all aspects. I'm as certain your problem is nothing to do with a periprosthetic infection as I am certain the blood tests will show some evidence of inflammation because that's what is going on in your knee right now. I'm just asking myself why he wants to cover his back like this. Could it be he knows one or more of the implants are malaligned?
I wonder ....
 
@Josephine , I know you don't like to be tagged but I'm just curious why he would want to cover his back when he wasn't the one who did the original surgery -- he's a second opinion. Truly just curious so please don't take it the wrong way.

Roxie
 
@Josephine it says in the surgery report I have a Smith -Nephew Legion Oxinium Fermur size 7, posterior stabilized tibia size 6, with 11mm posterior stabilized high-flex polyethylene and a 35mm resurfaced patella.

Okay, so you think the implant statement is note really it is really not sincere or even showing what he really knows about it then?

When he looked at the xrays he thought the implant was well aligned.

My OS never asked for the blood test at all.
 
Josephine , I know you don't like to be tagged
Oh don't ever think that! I just prefer not to be tagged when my name has just been used in the general course of conversation - like "as Josephine said" - that's all.
I have a Smith -Nephew Legion Oxinium Femur, posterior stabilized
great - that device has A1 statistics!
I'm just curious why he would want to cover his back when he wasn't the one who did the original surgery
Ooops! Thanks for correcting me.
Okay, so you think the implant statement is note really it is really not sincere or even showing what he really knows about it then?
Evidently not - I got the wrong man! So sorry - forget I spoke! :blush:
 
So now we wait again. But while I wait, the knee is getting worse. The catching is fairly frequent and I don't know why. Gone from a bad catch on maybe every ten steps to a regular catch and the knee cap hopping after it catches on every step. Hi hum, so much fun


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I should put up an audio clip, I count 5 clunks and two grinds when I walk now.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Dang. Are you still checking with the OS in Wichita to see if anything even earlier opens up so you can make a decision and get on with things? They sure aren't improving on their own.

roxie
 
Actually no, I guess assuming one week early was the best I could get was not the right decision. I think either way I was still looking at at least 4 weeks with scheduling. Dr. Wingerter ask if I was wearing a brace. Maybe he thinks I should until this is fixed.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
As hard as it was to even get it moved up one week, I'm guessing it's pretty unlikely anyway that you'd have done any better than that even if you had kept calling.

Maybe Dr. Wingerter thinks a brace would help keep things as stable as possible until they can be fixed…..

Roxie
 
Yea, I need to log into my health portal and look at my lab results.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sorry---I was visiting my daughter where there was terrible internet connections!! I lost a little rom with a 2 mm increase of spacer---I am still zero for extension but I went from 150 rom to about 145.
 
Bet they're okay. I had a list of lab tests I had to have done before my TKR ordered by Dr. Wingerter and the CRP was one of them. My knee was so bad and had been inflamed for so long that I expected it to be high but it registered in the normal range.

Roxie
 
Thanks skigirl, that is encouraging.
I need help reading these results:
@Josephine what do the following mean:
CPR - standard rate .0-.9 Mg/dl your value <.6
Sed rate - standard rate 0-15 MM/HR your value 5

I think this says I am in acceptable ranges, but I am no doctor.

Even he said the results are not a accurate indicator if infection, but these look pretty good.
 
No significant inflammation is present in your body is how I interpret those results. Those tests are not used as a monitor for infection, just inflammation.

Julie

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom