Revision TKR Wberry knee is up<

@KarriB

Your right. And they had to run there own series of tests on me to see if they can take me as patient.

They say liability and age on me.. But maybe they will find answers for you so you can be pain free... Xxxx to you...


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
My leg is now picking up a limp. Operative knee seems to not come forward strait anymore. There is a slight twisting as the knee comes forward. Swelling and soreness on sides and in front.
And I still have an entire month before I see anyone.

Wondering if I should look around for another revision specialist who can see me sooner.

So what do I do about this knee and the developed gait and limp. Knee still catching and three audible additional clicks.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Wberry,
If it were me, I would go back to a cane, walker, or crutches, what ever works to help your gait normalize, and reduce the stress of what is going on with your TKR.. You are just developing bad habits you will have to unlearn later. I doubt someone else can see you sooner unless there is a cancellation.
Call the OS's you have appointments with and see if you can get on a waiting list for an earlier appointment.
 
Already using the cane. Yes, I have been calling every other day.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
If you are limping with a cane, you can use two canes. You may have to move to walker or crutches?
 
Sorry to see you are having so much difficulty.:sad: Perhaps as Pumpkln said, using a walker till this is resolved would be best. You certainly don't want to develop any bad habits to unlearn later. Hopefully, someone will cancel and you can get in to see your OS sooner. Wishing you best of luck, hope you feel better soon.

Chris
 
I am so sorry your going through this. I pray for some results. Can u go to a hospital where the revision specialist is and just tell them pain and see if they can get some one to see you.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
If you decide to search for another clinic, I suggest you try the doctors at Shawnee Mission Medical Center. I don't know any of them personally, but the hospital has an excellent knee and hip patient program.

But don't give up on Dickson-Diveley. It can take time. I think all the reviews are because you already have had a TKR and you are currently considered to under another doctor's care. They have protocols when that is the case.....and they must follow them.
 
Today I followed the other requirement and faxed a copy of all records they wanted, 26 pages took a bit to fax Dickson-Diveley.

I think one cane is fine, the knee pretty much goes numb after walking on it a while with all the fluid and swelling that is now present. As long as a sty away from the things that cause the worst pain, like stairs up or down and larger walking stance i am okay. Still icing it daily, keeping up my quad exercises. I have lost ROM due to the swelling, i can just make 90 now, so I have lost 30. Have some funky things going on, like while I am sitting I can clunk my knee by moving it forward or up and down. It's gotten that loose, I have decided I don't want to do anything to actively increase looseness in the joint.
 
Online reading on the use of thicker insert: broken link removed: https://www.aaos.org/news/aaosnow/may14/clinical6.asp

Found this in a larger report on ligament loosening after TKR:

An intraoperative positive anterior drawer of more than 5 mm with the patella reduced in the trochlea may indicate flexion instability. Filling the flexion gap with a thicker polyethylene may provide increased flexion stability, but a corresponding tightness in the extension gap could result in a flexion contracture. Posterior femoral augments and/or an upsized femoral component are the appropriate initial correction in flexion instability. Tibial slope can be a subtle determinant of flexion stability, since excessive or inadequate slope can create difficulty in balancing the flexion and extension gaps. For example, with insufficient tibial slope (usually < 3 degrees) a corresponding recession of the PCL may be required in order to achieve flexion gap balance in a CR prosthesis. Over time, progressive attenuation of the PCL may lead to symptomatic anterior-posterior instability. In this situation, most patients will require revision to a posterior-stabilized (PS) prosthesis. Although it may be possible to use a thicker CR polyethylene insert, the reported long-term success of this procedure alone is low. Anterior-constrained CR polyethylene inserts are available, but they may not be an adequate long-term solution to PCL-deficient knees that are loose in flexion. In cases of excessive tibial slope, conversion to a PS construct may not be sufficient to correct a flexion gap imbalance, and revision of the tibial component to correct the slope may be required.

So my take is if the replacement is not right it could cause more issues. @skigirl, you had your replaced, you upsized, have there been any issues logterm term as a result for you. My medical exam says I have gone from 2mm up to 10 mm since surgery.
 
You probably had to fax the stuff b/c email isn't considered secure.
 
I am just growing tired of this knee.
Patience, I must have patience, some day this will all be made right.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Must be so frustrating. Sorry you are having to go through this.
 
Okay, this started about mid morning. I got up from sitting down and there was a very sharp pain and my knee caught so badly i could hardly get up. Now as I walk the knee cap hits the top of the prosthetic on every single step. When I have my leg stretched out, if I push down on the knee cap, it drops into the knee joint sideways to the left, and I can feel it hit the prosthetic. It has never done this before. Its like something that was there is gone that stopped the knee cap from dropping into the joint sideways. Maybe all it was was scare tissue that tore. I need to ask @Jamie and @Josephine about this. I am getting concerned that something is not going right. This is all so confusing, I hate not knowing what is going on and why. I am wondering if I need to call my original OS while I am waiting on the one appointment I have so far. I have been calling everyday to see if there are any cancellations. I need suggestions.
 
You are really between a rock and a hard place. As I recall the OS who did your TKR referred you to an OS who does revisions. If he sees how you are having increasing problems, he may be able to get you in earlier? It's a long shot. It really depends on how much you trust the original surgeon.
 
Well I called the OS in Wichita today to see if there are any earlier openings. I explain about my OS trying to reach them to get me an earlier appointment also. I also ask if there are any cases when patients are scheduled sooner, she told me only if there is a confirmed break or a tear. She transferred me to the OS nurse and i left a message about the issue i was having and that it had grown worst. I didn't want to claim my condition was in the break or tear category, because it probably is not. I will just keep trying to take it easy and ice until I get there.

Update: I did get a call from Dr. Papademus nurse, and she said they have no openings, but a new OS in there office, a Dr. Christopher L. Anderson could see me tomorrow, but he has only been with them for about a year (broken link removed: https://www.aoaortho.com/physicians/christopher-l-anderson.php). If i see him i would not be Dr. Papademus patient, but his. This guy is new with their group and he doesn't have the same number of years of experience, but he is listed as a revision specialist. I don't want to have to keep having surgeries if this guy is not as good.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So should I go with the new guy and get in tomorrow or stick with the experience one and keep trying for a cancellation to get in mealier?

I called my OS and left a message with the nurse that Dr. Papademos office had never recieved a a call or anything about looking at me records or even getting an appointment. She said she was the one that always does those and she has recieved nothing from them. And its been about three weeks now, curious.
 
How about calling Wingerter's office and explaining the situation? Tell them it's getting worse and ask how long you can expect to wait. If they can get you in sooner, I would see what he says and still keep the appointment with the experienced guy. Just an opinion.

Roxie
 
I was thinking go with the experience also, Thanks.
Calling KC now to see what can be done.
Frustration, they are claiming the never received the 26 pages I faxed to them.
I have a fax report I was given saying it was received on the other end to that fax.

So My original OS office nurse called me, he said he got my stuff sent to Dr. Papademose office and even tried to get me in sooner. he said the appointment I had was the soonest, he also mentioned something about he wasn't in the office and maybe on vacation. I also asked about getting my records sent to Dr. Wingerter, he took the fax number I had and said he would check with Dr. Hodges to see if he felt confident about them and if so he would get my records sent their also. He said he would call me back either way.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my goodness. A comedy of errors except its not funny. I was going to give them your name in an e-mail but realized I don't know your name. Tell them you were referred by a friend of Dr. Brotsky. That is true since she is my daughter.

Roxie
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom