THR was on the fence now on the other side!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found it odd that my last Tradamol dose was 5:44 am.

I wasn't in pain. I totally forgot to take a dose later in the day.
no burning, no stabbing just stiffness in the hip and itching from my incision.

I ran a errand with my dad today. Although we took a taxi to and from our destination, it felt good to get out of the house. Week 3 will begin in a few mins. I can't believe it is already the 21st of August! just 13 days on this side and feel new.

I finally received my disability insurance approval letter. They think that Oct 1st is a great time for me to return to work. What they don't know is that I will return when I feel that I have enough strength in the hip and leg and I've adapted to my new gait!

Home PT came yesterday. He said a was doing very well. He told me that I can eliminate 1 crutch while indoors. but return to both crutches while outside. :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
[Bonesmart.org] was on the fence now on the other side!!
@rettabetta, is always good for the inner spirit--a refreshing change, a sense of normalcy. You're very smart not to let the insurance company decide when going back to work is right for you. Just love seeing that you are doing so well----just think how good it will be after another 2 weeks.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Hi @rettabetta - yes, you must look after yourself and be your own advocate :) you also might like to read these articles, especially the first one ..

The following is a link to an article which provides the current science regarding the healing beneath and around the implant and approximate timeframes for the healing phases and processes and the relevant nutritional information for each phase.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery
 
@rettabetta, not only are you talking care of your body, you're taking of your well-being. Good for you!! My insurance company is jerking me around about stupid stuff but I'm not even dealing with it yet. If they think I'm a pain now, wait until I'm healed!!!

Proud of your priorities. Keep it up!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Poppet
"let food be thy medicine" right.

I've been slowing changing my eat habits when I really got into my workouts earlier in the year. Reading homeopathic nutritional books for pointers.

I've gained some of my weight back due to stress and emotionally eating. (I guess I had pre-op blues/anxiety)
With help from friends and this site, I stopped the pity party and got back to work. I saw your list of greens and read about the power of vitamin C the way it helps build tissue.
So I decided to juice for 4 weeks before surgery. I ate normal food also. 2 juices a day with normal food any order I choose.

it is a start. I've keeping it up more when I got home. I live too far away from the juice bar near my job. I brought one of those omega juicers

I juicing romaine lettuce, kale, spinach, pineapple and ginger. Swapped the spinach for broccoli because the aspirin (blood thinner) I'm taking.


I also read that daily multivitamin intake can keep the blues away.
I had post op blues at 6 weeks when I had my meniscus removed partially on the left knee. but also I was eating bad.

I hope the multi-vitamin help keep depression away far away.

bottom line, I really do not want to have a early revision. I need/want to maintain this new joint and go past the 25 year expiration date. So anything to keep Miss Bonnie (my hip I just gave her a name :) ) happy I will do!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi there, @rettabetta for some reason I didn't get your alert to me - not because of anything you did though :)

Yes, you are so right "let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" - girl after my own heart xx

You are spot on with a multivitamin, just ensure it has sufficient coverage and quantities of the b vitamins, which is a group of 8. They are essential to our health, especially our nervous system. A very essential mineral is Magnesium for stress and nerves. Remembering that minerals come first and vitamins are the minerals little co helpers so to speak.

Homeopathic treatments are also good - check out the Bach Flower remedies :)
 
19 days in recovery and I can sit at my desk. Been sitting for a few hours with walking breaks.
Today was my 2.5 week follow up with the surgeon. I passed with flying colors! I have been discharged from home PT and now I move on to outpatient physical therapy! I have graduated to 1 crutch outdoors and no crutches indoors.
I am walking well. The start is a bit wobbly then everything works itself out. I can wait to sleep on my side tonight!
I have no restrictions except doing straight leg raises in bed. Dr says that it causes unnecessary pain at the top of the hip.
Dr explained how surgery a bit longer due to the removal of the old pin. According to him it was pretty buried in the hip. He also went on to show me via x ray how even my legs are. He managed to correct the 1 inch difference. I do feel that the right leg is slightly higher but I'm excited to see more improvement as I continue with rehab. I've reduced my pain meds to 2x a day. The log leg, thigh burning, and ankle swelling has went away. Still working through the stiffness.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @toohip
How goes your progress? thanks for checking in
It has been 31 days can you believe it?!
I had 4 sessions of land therapy so far. My incision has not fully healed so I can not participate in water therapy yet. I had some clear fluid come out when I pressed on it today before showering. Went to PT anyway just to have therapist look at it. He couldn't recreate the secretion but recommend for that area to be re-stitched. So I will be seeing the surgeon tmrw.

I had some blues. I have to take the bus everywhere now. I really have to work on my patience.
I did some normal things like get groceries (whatever I fit in my backpack), a pedicure/manicure even went downtown to a dog fair on Sunday. I didnt realize that I was on my feet for 3 hours petting dogs.
I thought about fostering a dog for awhile. In the meantime, although it is not in the plan yet, I have tried to go up stairs normally holding on the to the rail. I was surprised that I was to do it. I didn't try going down. One curious act a week I suppose.

I am no longer taking medication and my stomach thanks me alot!
but usually after long periods of sitting or laying on my side there is a stiffness/soreness/heavy leg. One thigh is slightly larger than the other. Once in a blue moon i'll have thigh spasms. Currently the battle is to end this war with cabin fever.
 
Hi @rettabetta - I know, i can't believe it either...it'll be 4 weeks for me tomorrow!!! Yes, the blues are to be expected...especially in NYC (LOL)...it's tough getting around that city healthy, never mind being in recovery-mode!! It's over-whelming at times, way too many people!! Patience is the key...just because everyone else is rushing....you just take it easy. I heard about that dog fair (adoptalooza?)...it looked fun...I would recommend waiting a bit before becoming a pet-parent...it's a huge responsibility (I have 2 dogs and it's a lot at times)...I also have been going to some fairs and shopping...sometimes when i get home, i am exhausted...but then realize I've been out for about 3-4 hours and that's why I'm so tired...some days I nap and some days go the whole day with no nap...I am still icing and elevating my leg. I also have the one thigh larger than the other...I am going to work on building up the muscles in the operated leg...sometimes the shin in that leg aches at night. I think because of the LLD for many years and now it is being stretched now that both legs are even.
well, feel good and keep spirits high!!! and remember some days are good and some days might need to rest a bit!!
Take care and talk to you soon!!!
 
Yes it was adpotalooza!
I got some great info on fostering so it is a start!:dogwalk:
Came back from the surgeon today. My wound did not need to be re-stitched but he told me to clean it twice a day and apply the prescribed topical cream and it should heal in another 3 weeks. I wanted to be in the water by my 10th visit :tantrum: ! PT Visit number 5 is tomorrow. Nothing has changed. I still have no restrictions when it comes to hip precautions.
There are things that I want to master before going back to work/normal life. To be able go up and down stairs, to kneel, and to be able to a little faster and balanced are the most important.

@toohip, when standing comfortably, do you notice your operated leg is ahead of the unoperated leg?
it is kinda hard to describe but I feel most even that leg is a little bit ahead of the unoperated leg but putting both feet together, I feel, is better posture.

as for napping... Everytime I go out, it is required that I take a nap when I come back. LOL I can't help it.
 
Hi @rettabetta - I just find it a miracle that both legs are similar lengths now. everyone that sees me says it looks great. my OS dr. said that the operated leg might feel a bit longer at first...i didn't really have that so much.
Balance and strength takes a lot of time and will happen according to my dr. it just takes time for your mind to adjust to your new posture. all the HSS doctors that saw me in the hospital (my OS, the HSS MD, who was a rheumatoid expert and my os's doctors who are studying under him) all told me it could take 6-12 months till your mind and body are back to how you should walk and also the muscle strength has to be there as well. it's frustrating at times for me. I also want to walk faster, but i want to concentrate on walking correctly as well.

What do you mean by 'nothing has changed'? I have hip precautions till my dr.'s appt at end of september, then we shall see what he says.

Did you have stitches or staples?
 
Hi @toohip ! Sry for the late response. I didn't see an alert on my phone. I hope things are well.
Today makes 6 weeks. :yahoo: My scar still hasn't fully healed. :swoon: The end of my incision is a little wider for drainage (I guess) and it is taking long for the surface skin to meet the other side. I had stitches.

I think I am a pro at doing bridges exercises LOL. I do them everyday. What I meant by "nothing has changed" was although the incision has not healed, I am to resume all rehab exercises. My favorite is the balance board.

I took the train instead of the bus to therapy today. Yes, I was able to get there faster but I do not think I will be doing that regularly as of yet. I can feel the implant on certain seats. I guess need to work on my glutes more but it felt great to not be restless on the bus for once.

I still walk with a crutch outdoors none indoors. My feet are slight inward when I walk without looking down. I noticed that when I first walked after surgery. I never noticed that I've walked inward before but it is happening more on the unoperated leg. I have to consciously think "heel first" when I walk and I hope that it all goes away.

I still have stiffness with sitting and laying for long periods of time yet i had a few moments that i forgot i had surgery. Progress is progress...
 
Sounds like you are doing very well @rettabetta ! Things will continue to get easier. That heel, toe walking will do the trick!
 
Hi @rettabetta - our recovery is very similar, I am still at outpatient PT and that is going very well. I also need to think 'heel first' and not limp...i'll get there, it's tough tho. And i also feel stiffness at times...the pt said that could be the incision on the inside still healing, he said that takes a long time to heal. I'll check about that when i see the OS.
The one positive about the subway is the stairs, that'll work your glutes for sure. Everyday my operated leg gets a bit stronger, i see it especially when i climb the the stairs with that leg. it's still a bit weak, but i keep working on it. I can't wait till my OS appt next week, to see what the doc thinks and about lifting restrictions. when the PT stretches me out, i definitely see a difference from before the surgery to my motions after the surgery.
I started driving again, so for me that's liberating.
I also like the balance board. and last time i went, the PT had me stand on a small step and drop my unoperated leg to the floor without bending my operated leg at the knee...but i just couldn't do it. I couldn't even do it with either leg...it's a weird exercise...where you drop your hip down...anyway, PT ended up putting a band on my legs and then had me stretching my operated leg back and towards the right, he said that that'll strengthen the same muscle groups.
I am walking without any assistance (cane, crutch, etc) and it feels good. it's weird, because i expect to feel the arthritis pain when i get up from bed or chair, so like instinct, i do it very slowly...but there is no pain anymore...so i am trying to train myself to get up faster from a chair or bed...
Well really glad all is going well with you...keep up the good work and all the best!!! I'll let you know how it goes next week.
Take care!
 
Hi @Zebra - Thanks!! So far I am doing well and feel good...All my friends are egging me that i shoulda done this awhile ago...I keep telling them everyone has to make their decision themselves, lol...don't get me wrong, my muscles have to get much stronger...I am still walking with slight limp, it's just the arthritis pain is not there anymore...i'm able to walk with no pain, it's very nice.
 
@toohip and @rettabetta, I had my 2nd hip replacement surgery done at HSS on July 21, and I'm just at 10 weeks out. I don't walk with a limp, and I just did a 4 mile walking circuit in the first time in probably 15 years. It's glorious! You both are doing great!

Does anyone know if @Zebra had his surgery? I don't see that he has a post-op thread, so if anyone knows about how he's doing or what his thread name is, thank you.
 
Hi @cthipster - So happy for you!! 4 miles, WOW!! that's fantastic...i've been walking about 1 mile once or twice a day. Life is good! so far, 2 out of 3 objectives checked off - legs even, check...no arthritis pain, check...i still need intensive PT to strengthen the leg muscles that haven't been used properly in years. My doc lifted the 3 restrictions and now wants me working on crossing the operated leg over the non-operated leg, so i can put shoes and socks on w/o assistance. I am still at Pt 3X a week, plus my own exercises and walking. This weekend went to big fall fair, so lots of walking and people, all went well...was a bit tired afterward. I am still a bit restless at night during sleep, can't find comfortable position...hoping that will go away with time...I think the inside is still healing and probably some muscle ache.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom