THR was on the fence now on the other side!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks Ladies!

it took a while to fiddle around. The funny thing was that I didn't receive compression socks from the hospital. I was expecting a lot more then crutches and a commode. I guess my age has a lot do with it.

at first I was too young for hip replacement now I'm not old enough for compression stocks and I have less restrictions *sigh*

the ankle swell went down a lot but as soon as took a shower, the swelling began again. I will have to considering getting these stockings.

now for my badges:
[Bonesmart.org] was on the fence now on the other side!!


11 inches long.
the other badge was from my first surgery when I was 12. I had staples.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Badge looks great! You're doing just fabulously. Keep it up!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi All,
I made it to week 2!

my friends tell me that I'm owning these crutches!! I'm being complimented on the way I am distributing my body weight when walking with the crutches. some question why I was so scared to get surgery in the first place.
that is the part where I take offense because it is still major surgery and I don't regret the pre operation jitters.

I find myself watching a lot of stand comedy and Louie CK, Ricky Gervais (sp?) Chris Rock etc.. to keep the positivity in the air.



I had a major breakthrough on Saturday night! I was able to lift my operated leg!
kinda of just happened. I was adjusting my pillows for the operated leg for bedtime and while my leg elevated I decide to lift my leg to bring another pillow into place.
I read it here that lifting the leg from the elevated position is a great way to begin doing leg lifts until one is able to do it independently.
the next morning while doing my bed exercises, I gave it a go and I lifted it. it wasn't all the way up in the air, but the distance between bed and foot was very noticeable.

I accepted an invitation to go to Sunday brunch with two of my best buddies celebrating my recent birthday and successful surgery. My friend has a car so she picked me up.

the discomfort from sitting too long wasn't bad until about 30-45 mins in. I stood up and the sat back down. I had to 'reset' twice.
then we drove back to my apartment so I can take my meds and use the bathroom and then off we went again to my other friend's house.
It is Harlem week in the neighborhood and there are lots of vendors and food and entertainment. My other friend lives near the festivities so we drove over there to check things out.
I walked about 4 city blocks and 1 avenue then walked back to my friend's apartment. I knew I can clear 4 blocks from the walking the long hallway in the hospital. I was excited that I walked 8 blocks and 1 avenue no with pain and no drain.
I took my time walking. I kept the looking at my ankles for swelling because that was the cue to go home.
We sat in her living room and watched a movie while her hubby made dinner for us. I sat on her rocking chair with cushions instead of sitting on the couch.
my ankle swelled slightly and pretty stay there. It didn't grow.
I was driven home at around 8pm. so I pretty much spent the day outdoors.


I did my exercises that morning and made an attempt to do a set (10 reps) of standing exercises then got ready for bed. I attempted to lift the leg and I couldn't :(
the day turned bittersweet.
I think I did too much. yet I thought maintained my boundaries.

So today is back to step 1. laying down with leg elevated and walking once an hour as instructed by home PT and PT exercises :(


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
You did way more than I've done in a day and I'm at week four!! Just be careful to not overdo and don't forget to ice your hip regularly and especially with swelling. I know your fun day makes the rehab tolerable! Congrats to owning it!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I took my meds regularly when I was outside. I even took naproxen in the middle of the day which I'm allowed to use as needed due to the constant use of aspirin (it was prescribed to me as a blood thinner)
I'm surprised that the only discomfort was felt in the earlier part that day.
@beachgal when taking OxyContin do you feel drowsy only to wake up a few hours later alert and unable to go back to sleep?
I feel no drowsiness when taking Tramadol.

I also learned that even if I feel no pain, still take the medication. I read the link from @Jacey is very important about how long the medication kicks in to bring the pain down. after I decided to skip my Tradmadol dose thinking I can wait it out until my OxyContin dose which two hours away. That probably the stupidest thing I've done.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi...just remembering back to that early on. I had a hospital recliner, you can actually rent them, and it was a life saver. The ice and the higher I could get my leg was such a help with the pain. I would often sleep that way as the bottom of my right foot drove my crazy if anything touched it. Not sure why, but we all seem to have little quirky things that are annoying as all get out. My biggest issue during this recovery process is figuring out how much I can do..Even now having what I'm finding out is inflamed soft tissue, it's hard to get a balance with sitting standing, lying down. Just keep searching until you find the right position for you. It's a slow process and for me a way to learn patience...not one of my better virtues. Good luck, feel better, and know that people have been there. Rebecca
 
I've not taken any OxyContin since I learned of my aversion to opiates. I've been prescribed Tramadol which I took prior to THR but have not needed with recovery. For pain now, at four weeks, I use Tylenol. If I think I may not sleep, I'll take two prior to bedtime but that is rare.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
interesting... how become before surgery ?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I had IT band release surgery in April before THR at the end of July so I was prescribed the Tramadol for pain with earlier procedure. Glad I knew my tolerance for it as didn't have the learning curve time to experiment.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
ouch!
I worked out with a personal trainer prior to surgery to strengthen legs ,back, arms and core and he used to roll IT band post workout with a massage roller and that was really uncomfortable!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
thank you @Rebecca65. Sometimes it's 4 pillows, 2 pillows, or no pillows.
sometimes I lie down with my knees up. I don't sleep like that but yes it is difficult to find a comfortable position when icing.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I have a concern about ice. When is it too much ice ? I asked for ice every few hours as the bags melt.
it helped tremendously with my pain especially overnight.
I had up 6 bags on my thigh. 3 across one 1 under and 2 on my side.
I felt so good.
My second second concern is that according PT elevating my legs is not needed,
My legs were not elevated during my stay. PT says because of procedure (anterior) I have no restrictions.
They courage me to sit in a high chair with a low foot stool for a couple of hours a day.

@rettabetta , I also had anterior. I had no elevation during my one day stay in the hospital, but I absolutely elevated at home, whether sitting in the recliner, or in bed sleeping. It made a huge difference in my comfort level, and I never had any swelling or bruising. I cannot imagine being told to sit with my leg pointed down!!! :rolleyes: I did use ice, a little. Maybe once or twice a day the first 4 or 5 days, but really not even once a day after that. And never in bed sleeping - I think it would have kept me awake, but that is just me.
 
I elevated my leg with two pillows in bed for about three days after I came home but I was mostly in my recliner which kept my leg up most if the time. I sat on ice probably six or eight times a day and it helped immensely with zero swelling/bruising. That said, I don't usually bruise easily anyway but was taking no chances. The ice also us a great natural pain reliever and I think it contributed to my not needing anything stronger than Tylenol. I'm still using it several times a day.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
exactly! the ice was helping so much I questioned why am taking two strong meds so I skipped Tradamol waited out until my next OxyContin dose. Big Mistake! I felt a heat sensation and stabbing in my thigh the OxyContin kicked in 2 hours later. from there on, I never missed a dose.

OH the constipation because of this medication been eating kale and spring mix salads with every meal and drinking a lot of water.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@rettabetta, my solution to the constipation was fiber gummies. I ate pretty normally, and usually have no issues, but man that percoset slowed things waaaaaaayy down for me. I did not even try gummies until the issue arose, and by the time I got it under control, I was already stopping the percoset except for an occasional night. I wish I had bought them and taken them from the start!!
 
@rettabetta
Like @Chessie, I am usually one without issues. I was never concerned about things moving again, but smoothies with a bunch of greens and flaxseed are also a good one. Also lots of fruits included along the way. I was not familiar with fiber gummies.
 
@Chessie ok I will have find me some of those. the prune juice is almost finished finally! yuck!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom