Guest viewing is limited

TKR VW's new joint venture

Thanks k2t, how did you know I made an outing?
LOL.
Yesterday I was at two birthday celebrations.
The first was a luncheon for a lady in our English conversation group. Her 87th. She had both hip replacements a decade ago. one of which didn't help much. She cannot walk without crutches...and alas, is leaning towards dementia but she loved the attention.
The second was a family get together ( we were 14 p) for my DHs 65th. We went to a nearby restaurant with a huge garden and a fantastic view at the edge of the city.
We took the light weight stool with us so that I could elevate leg every so often. I used it half the time there. Noticed that gravel paths can be tricky. Glad I had trekking sticks with me.
Today DH accompanies his 96yr old mum back to Salzburg w train. She's now using the walker she lent me. ( was her sister's) Normally she only uses her cane, but we, those in our 60s, think she will like the stability the walker will give her. Sneaky aren't we..
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@VW54, your *progression* sounds very much like my own, with just a few minor differences. This week, I am also experiencing the *stuck* or regressive phase. Unfortunately, it's all part of the non-lineal path to total recovery....pffft! Remember the great, zig-zag chart here? You know the dance, one step forward, two steps back. Sometimes.:good-bad: Other weeks we have a big leap forward, but it's not going to happen every single week. I think this period is the most frustrating yet, however, if we think in terms of where we are chronologically, we're really only 1/2 way to the end of that important first trimester. In other words, right smack in the middle of the pit. That knowledge does not necessarily bring joy, but it does bring an understanding of why we feel the way we feel and perhaps a sense that this is all *normal*, or par for the course.

In summary, you're right where you should be and so am I. We just don't like it; hah!
 
Those Birthday celebrations sound like a lot of fun and I'll bet the food was great as well! I'm glad your mother-in-law was able to be there for your husband's 65th since many of us do not have that situation at this age. Your folding, lightweight stool sounds very handy as well. Is it cloth or plastic? I have one made of plastic, Rubbermaid brand, but a canvas, camping type stool would be more comfortable and probably less bulky. I'll have to look for one.
 
As reported on another thread: today I didn't think about my operated knee at all for almost 3 hours. I was helping DH sort papers and only when I bent down to pick up a paper off the floor from a chair did I realise... nuh-uh that won't work ouchy. ..and then why not. Haha!

Another thing, I've read many people mention that the morning stiffness is pretty bad. I am probably lucky to have the opposite: when I first wake up, my gait feels quite fluid and almost normal. My knee feels quite stiff later in the day. That is, as the day wears on, it gets worse unless I have a long nap.
OTOH, when I first sit down in the morning it really hurts to do so, but as the day progresses it gets less painful to sit down.
What's up?
 
VW54, I had to laugh when I read this.....perhaps you were a breech baby, so everything is backwards? Just kidding, but it was my first thought!:heehee: I'll gladly swap some morning stiffness for your evening stiffness. Perhaps you can take mornings this week? I'm open to suggestions, lol.
 
Hehe I was indeed a breech baby and because all attempts to turn me around failed, they opted for a caeserean. Not common 60+ years ago.
Back to knee, the operated one.
Late last night I tried with the help of a pillow and a book, at the angle it's at in our car to see if I could manage the clutch.
Nope. Knee clicked and clonked something awful. ..and the scar felt too stretched after 10x of the self-imposed trial. Knee still feels so tight just below or at kneecap.
Will attempt next weekend again. I'm not in a hurry...just curious if I can drive.
 
Maybe your knee responds REALLY well to elevation? When you wake up in the morning, they're happy because they've had great circulation and the swelling went down. Then as the day goes on and you're on your feet, or sitting with them down, they swell a bit and so get stiffer on you. If you nap, you elevate (I'm presuming), so you get some relief because the swelling subsides a little. Just a thought.

I have no clue why things would hurt when you first sit down in the morning.

Hope you get to drive soon. It's ever so liberating. Safety first, though!
 
Well, here's my driving experience so far; I'm good for about 20 minutes and that's it. My OP thigh goes into spasms after that. It's not a big problem....yet...because I live in an urban area and am close to everything. But, I hope this subsides at some point when I am able to go on longer car expeditions. I'm sure it will, but I'm going to bring it up with the OS on the 25th.

You've got a clutch to deal with, so I can understand how that would make things more uncomfortable. It's good you're not in a hurry to drive, but once you do, you'll be thrilled, so I hope it comes fairly soon for you.:SUNsmile:

My knee and scar also feel very tight, but no tighter than they do sitting at the kitchen table or anywhere else with the leg down. Are you massaging your knee at all? I am, as does the PT, but the looser feeling is only temporary so far.

I am also baffled about why things would hurt when you first sit down in the morning, given that you don't generally feel stiff upon waking up? Maybe some heat on the back of your legs would help? Just a thought.
 
Just returned from 6(and a half) week and first post release check-up with OS - and lunch downtown w DH- it's very crowded, full of tourists!.
He watched me walk and moved my knee every which way. It hurt a bit when he pressed on kneecap area.
I had marked with a pen ( numbered in pain intensity 1 through 4 ) all the places that still hurt me and also delineated the area of numbness. He laughed but said he was not surprised at all at this.
He noticed the clicking-clonk that I keep reporting about. He said it's not bad, about half of his patients complain about the same but it goes away after about half a year when all the muscles build up. He showed my DH with a model, why it clicks and clonks.
He said my bending ROM is very good and better than he expected but I *must* work on my gait.
Basically I should walk more and more consciously. He said to my DH it's going to take a while...up to a year.
He turned to me and said :"you must be more patient with yourself"
Maybe it was a tactic: maybe he meant to tell him to be more patient with me ....hahaha...
Driving is up to me.
He said they would try cycling at rehab and not to worry that's ok if it takes another few weeks.
I'm cleared for swimming and thermal spa too. Yay.:swim:
He prescribed Naprobene to help with swelling that happens every evening. Paracetamol whenever I need it. ( right now I take 500 mg around noon and late eve or before bed) and condrusulf for the other knee.
He wants me to have an Xray again. But no hurry bc he'll be on holidays for about a month.
I'm going to get a photo of the implant and perhaps post it here.
All in all I guess I'm doing as expected. Just have learn to accept the clicks and clonks.:snork:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
VW54, this is a great report and you must feel so relieved that everything you are experiencing is...er...*normal*, lol! I had to laugh when I saw that you marked all of your ouchy spots with pen; hah! What he told you about the clunking is exactly what my PT has told me. Best of all, you'll soon be in the pool and thermal spa; heaven! I hope I get the same sort of review on the 25th! Cheers!:cheers:
 
Flash " newkneenews: "
Just asked DH to "watch over me" as I tried stationary bike. Getting on it is already a slight challenge of balance, w my overweight body.
Tried it and it was not quite but almost. I asked him to raise seat so my toes would reach pedals. I managed 5 revolutions. Then scar felt ouchy.
But I promised him I would do 6 tomorrow morning. As a reward! he started to vacuum.
Am flabbergasted. He never does that unasked.
 
Wow! Two good posts! It's so nice when your OS is happy with your results. And bike riding already. Whoopee! Great news!
 
You get good movement, and clean carpets also. That's a great trade-off. It's amazing how quickly these new knees get "better" at biking. You'll be pedaling up a storm in no time.
 
wowza, you can do full rotations on your bike ~ that's a huge milestone. congratulations on that and a good report upon release from your surgeon.:flwrysmile:
 
I'm going to add my praise and celebratory woots, so nice to hear SUCH good news ! But @VW54, I would really love to see a pic of your knee with the numbers - too funny!
In one of your earlier posts you said that your OS wanted measurements of the circumference of your knee to judge the swelling. Where did he have you measure? I liked the idea.
And the spa - that just sounds wonderful - I'll have to ask my OS about it at my 5 week checkup. It's not covered by insurance here but maybe I could book me a weekend in September. How many weeks will you be when you go to the spa?
And lastly but not leastly, what a wonderful city to live in! Each year that we watch the Vienna Philharmonic New Years concert, I resolve to enter the lottery - my DH definitely has it on his bucket list (he will be 86 in a few weeks) so after this knee surgery I WILL enter. When it becomes a reality, perhaps we meet up for a high tea?
 
Hehehehe. I wrote too soon.
Probably because OS pushed, pressed and pulled and wobbled my knee (to see about the clonking, which he did say he noticed) my knee was soooooo very painful last night. I took Acetomenaphen and Seractil and listtened to 174hz sound to get pain relief. It could also have been the almost forced bike revolutions. Dunno.
It still hurts this morning so, although I promised DH, have postponed bike for now. PT tomorrow anyways.
@nensi can't comply right now w photo of knee sketch. It was regular ink which washed off in the shower. Will do it again soon.
Re concert tickets for New Year's at Musikverein There's always a contingent reserved for people ordering from outside of Austria. Just write and order tickets for next or over next January. You could be lucky! Mention even that it's for your DHs XX'st birthday.
Many different price categories. Maybe a combined Sinterklaas present from your children for you.
Spa? Well.. about 70 years ago or so, they were drilling for oil at the -in those days- edge of the city but hit upon hot springs instead. They've built a Spa there and in 1990s added a "Rehab centre" for people with muscle and bone illnesses and post/op treatments...to also make use of the warm water for water therapy.
So I'm going there as an outpatient 4x week Mo to Th. Sometimes 2 hours or 3 or 4 units. For 6 weeks!
It would take me 1 and a quarter hour by public transportation to get there, so DH will drive me. Until I can drive the 30 or so min myself. On the short days, we would then both go to the spa sector to make the drive there worthwhile.

We're going out today to help a dear friend celebrate his 85th. He's the founder of an NGO here which we joined in 1980. I'll be taking icepacks..Our coolbox broke so we'll improvise w newspapers and ice 'cartridges' =frozen water sealed in plastic hulls..
They don't sell ice here at gas stations or stores like they do in USA/CDN
Another heat wave is upon us. Uff. 33°C as I write. 36 tomorrow and Thursday.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom