TKR VW's new joint venture

lomg=long! Note to self: Open eyes all the way.
 
Oil of clove is often used in dentistry as a local analgesic. It numbs the gums and helps salivary glands secrete more saliva. One single drop on a wad of gauze is what I used.
 
Went out to dinner and theatre to celebrate our 38th. I propped up my leg during dinner on chair next to me. Was fine, except I was sitting a bit diagonal to table and some things landed on the floor.
I had asked person at theatre to give me a seat all the way left so that I could prop up my leg on a fold up stool we would bring with us. It worked like a charm! The stool has a surface the size of an LP disc, very light weight too and height is regular chair height. Best €9 Euros investment in hindsight. :)
Getting in and out of passenger seat is getting easier. But still slow going.
DH said next week Sunday he'll take me to empty parking lot so I can try driving. Reminder: I need to use clutch pedal with operated knee.:scare:
Today I noticed that when I bend both knees in bed they are almost parallel. So ROM must have increased last week. Yay
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What a wonderful outing you had! And your ROM is outstanding! You are doing something right!
 
Happy Anniversary and wishing you many more to come! Your evening of celebration sounded perfect and your advance planning with the footstool worked like a charm. :smile2:

Wow, knees bet in bed almost parallel? Huzzah! You're definitely doing something right!:fingersx:
 
Q re stitches, staples, glue, steri strips etc.
I was telling one of my friends that in many parts of the US they use staples to close wounds instead of stitches and how when I asked my OS if glue would be used to close the wound he quickly dismissed it as not reliable for joint operations. So now am wondering what are the advantages of each and why do you think some surgeons choose one over the other? I couldn't tell my friend.
As an added comment, I went to look at several pages ofsubmitted scar photos and the ones with staples or only steri strips looked to me to be more likely to weep? Is that really so or just my perception? Are steri strips that strong?
One more thing, after my stitches were removed, (they were covered by a honeycomb waterproof bandage) I had another waterproof bandage (rather tight too) put on for a few days. I thought they would say wound should be exposed to "fresh air" so altogether my wound was covered for 18 days.
 
I did not have staples, just dissolvable stitches. I had something called an Aquacell dressing that stayed on for two weeks. It completely covered the wound tightly and we were given strict instructions not to touch it or try to peek at the wound. Then just an ace wrap over the bandage. When it came off in 2 weeks (it came off pretty easily) there was no weeping just a couple of pucker places. I'm very happy with how the incision turned out and I was thrilled not to have to have staples taken out.
 
Would be great to have some info about all of this in the Library. ( hint hint):yes::SUNsmile:
 
My incision was stapled and then covered with an Aqua Cell. I could see ooze marks for the first day or so, but when the dressing was changed a week later, all of that had stopped. On 7/6 that dressing came off and the staples were removed. That was a pinchy process, but not too bad. Apparently I winced on some of the easy ones but none of the deeper ones.

And I did not go "Ouch, ouch, ouch!" like the lady next door. Reminded me of the hospital stay :shocked:

I now have steri-strips and a nice clean wound. Congrats to the doc for being such a good stitcher.
 
Every OS has their own preference on how to close the wound and the dressing that they use. It's more of a preference than anything else. One way is not better than another.
 
Both of my knees had internal sutures and then glued. There was a dressing on top and then an ace wrap. My instructions both times was remove the wrap and dressing on day 5. I left open to air and was allowed to shower at that point and no need to cover.

That's a little different than most it seems. I did ask my OS about glue vs staples. He said it depended on the knee. If he felt glue was best he did glue, if not then staples. I've never had any drainage, not even on the dressing. The glue leaves a dark brown stripe on either side of the incision and that just wears off. I had a suture abscess on first knee that didn't require anything and no issues with this knee. I'm glad I didn't have to deal with staples.
 
My scar was glued VW but only the surface, I've got three layers of stitches underneath. Personally I'm delighted that my scar was glued as I don't have a railtrack effect with it. I wore a waterproof dressing for three weeks then went au naturale. My surgeon explained that she prefers to glue the surface scar as it knocks out the procedure of removing staples or stitches thereby reducing risk of infection, makes sense to me. The orthopaedic unit that I was in has the lowest infection rate in Scotland for replacement joints and works hard to keep it that way, none of the surgeons use staples or stitches for the surface scar.
 
Would be great to have some info about all of this in the Library. ( hint hint):yes::SUNsmile:

It's already there, complete with puctures!
Closing surgical wounds: how is it done?

It really doesn't make much difference how your skin is closed, because so many layers of tissue are stitched together before you get out to the skin.

No one way of closing the skin is better and the method makes no difference as to which wounds ooze and which don't.
Usually, the method used to close the skin is a matter of each surgeon's preference.
 
Crazy how different we all are. I have glue and aquacell bandage. Was told to remove at day 10, but waited til my follow up on day 12 to have them remove it. I'm doing the same this time - f/u on day 12 is Monday. They fussed at Me but I trust their skill better than mine. It was a bit angry and puckered looking to me, but everyone swooned over "how good it looks". Lol. My left has healed into a nice, minimally visible scar already. Anxious to see what's under Door #2 in a couple days! My 9yo keeps asking when she gets to see my scar, too. Lol.
 
I remember when I had my last TKR. My ganddaughters, then aged 3 and 5, used to ask each day if they could look at "Nanna's ouchy." They were really gentle with me and they would comment each day, "That doesn't look so sore today," "You're getting better, Nanna," " I think you're going to be OK."
It was good to get the opinion of the "experts!"
 
I had several layers of sutures topped off by 4,327 staples, and an ugly, silver bandage. No oozing, just some blood when the staples were removed. As a result, I needed some steri-strips for a week or so. The incision isn't exactly what I'd call pretty yet, but people tell me it looks good, so I believe them.:snork:
 
I read about your outing today in Pheebs thread. You did a lot today. I hope you are able to get some rest. Sending comforting thoughts your way. :flwrysmile:
 
I had glue and the bandages came off on day 3. I didn't have to keep it covered with anything. It really is interesting how the preferences of each OS varies.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
On the eve of my 6th week post op I wanted to report on how I'm doing generally. ( below)
Thanks for sharing your scar/ incision treatments.
I probably skipped over the info in the website library due to the photos that made me queasy.
Now I've read it. Am informed to a certain degree but not as to why some surgeons chose one over the other. Am assuming it's how they got educated or what congresses they attended.:) or even what they felt best doing. Interesting point is that at the orthopedic hospital I was at, ALL knee surgeons use stitches. Last time I checked, there were approx 240 Orthopedic surgeons associated with the hospital. Not all do knees though.

I find it difficult to judge how much I've 'progressed' with healing compared with last week. It feels like I'm stuck or regressed. I say this because the act of sitting down hurts like it did at week 2. My gait is best with trekking sticks. I can do steps up but not very well; I tried Pheebs PT's suggestion to go backwards down today and that went well.
As reported on another thread, I used the metro and walked home 650m slowly. Pausing twice because the crutches hurt my hands. I have rheumatoid arthritis in my hands.( Heberdene's nodes)
Last 3 nights my knee has swollen up every evening. Perhaps because I no longer take Naprobene? Am only taking paracetamol 500 mg 3x or 4x day.
I wake myself up sometimes because I've bent my operated knee to a point of pain in my sleep and/or thigh cramps. <the latter is VERY painful.
Magnesium supplements have helped last 4 nights but also I've tried the 174hz tapes.
I still have the very tight feeling in the front and I still hate the click-clonk sensation with every or every other step I take w op knee. It hurts behind my knee too.
Getting in and out of shower inside tub has been mastered, which is great since we're having a heat wave. I so look forward to getting the OK to use a swimming pool.
Getting in and out of passenger side is still tough and slow. I'll give driving a try this Sunday on an empty parking lot. Have to use left op leg for the clutch. I don't have to drive. I just want to try if I can.
My right knee is giving me more grief now. I must keep it healthy and reliable for as lòooòng as possible.
Next week is the 1st check up with OS since my release. To be continued -after that appointment. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom