TKR Vickie's Knee Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Belated Birthday, Laura! It is wonderful to get out though, isn't it?!

Vickie, i know what you're talking about. I feel like I am making no movement forward at all and friends and relatives don't seem to get it. I've read your thread and I think you are doing great! Keep up the good work. Steady on.

Susie, i have that clicking. I, also, think I have tendons that are about an inch long from the way they feel when I try to bend.

Sometimes I miss my old knee. I hope this will change!

Laurie
 
Hi Vickie.
It seems like FOREVER since I have felt NORMAl! Had you asked me before if 6 weeks after surgery I would still spending more,time in,bed than running around I would have thought you were nuts. I think you are doing great! This is such a long and painful surgery but we will get there. On most days I think my knee will never bend or go straight again! Then I picture how excited I will be when it does and just keep working away! I am so frustrated I actually hopped on my regular bike and tried to ride it in the yard, oh that lasted 2 sec with my knee. But it is so frustrating havering my newly fixed up bike just sitting there.
Laura I just want to be ordinary and not be stared out when I go,out with my cane. I am rethinking the trip to Florida right now. It takes us like 10 hours to get there by the time we drive to airport 2 hours early, then fly, then get car and drive again I am not sure I will be up too it.
Cathy
 
Thank you Cathy! Yes, it was FABULOUS to get out!! OMG...I enjoyed it so much! Today I'm going to attempt to go out with my new camera. I can't wait to take pictures!
 
Boy do I ever relate to what you are saying about other's expectations....I had a few complications that really set me back last time and I didn't want to go into detail with everyone I talked to about so I felt that they thought I was dragging it out, I know my recovery seemed like a never ending ordeal both to them and to me...I remember one very constipated day that I was in a lot of knee pain sobbing to my husband that I didn't think I was EVER going to feel normal again...This time I know what to expect, I know it takes time and patience. Vickie, I think you are doing great, it's 6 weeks, you are getting up and dressed and out and about by yourself...you are sleeping better and you cutting back on drugs...way to go girl!
 
Sometimes it just helps to know others are feeling the same way you are, doesn't it? Oh my....I can so relate to your feelings of discouragement and wanting your old life back! I know that when I read posts that I think "oh, me, too!", it makes me feel a bit more "normal".....or the new normal! I will be 8 weeks tomorrow, though, and I do think that somewhere between 6 weeks (that was my lowest point so far!) and 8 weeks, things turn around a little. The low days still come, but not as often. I'm still elevating, icing, and not living a normal life yet, but I'm beginning to think that it WILL happen one day! I'm trying so hard to stay positive and move forward.

I'm beginning this process all over again in 2 weeks, so I hope I can get my emotions back to normal a bit before that time! I'm always a pretty upbeat person, so this is new to me. At least this time, I'll know when to expect to feel a bit better.

So, let's all hang in there, and know that this will all be worth it in the long run! I have a tropical beach vacation to look forward to in July, and I think that's what will keep me going during the next couple of months! WE CAN DO THIS!

I have this quote posted on my bathroom mirror: "I Want the Rest of My Lift to be the BEST of my Life".....and I'm going to try hard to make that happen!!!

Good luck to you all, and I hope our recoveries get easier starting today! :friends:
 
Thank you all for telling me how your recoveries are going. It sounds like we are all pretty similar, so maybe this part of the recovery is exactly where it is supposed to be.

For some reason, I really thought that at 6 weeks that life would be back to a more regular basis than this. I never know from one day to the next how stiff my knee is going to be and everything revolves around that. When we were first recovering, it was easier to understand that healing was needed and I was more patient. Now it seems like it has just "stalled" and I'm not really seeing too much progress.

It has been really cold here in OK for the last few days and my knee hates the cold. When I went to PT last Friday the therapists said that everyone was stiff and cranky. That certainly described me!

Thanks for helping me thru this latest bump in the road. I hesitate to post messages that are depressing, but I really needed input from all of you that understand how this feels. I will move my new goal to 8 weeks. Warmer weather is just around the corner!

Dewey, I love the quote that you have on your BR mirror!

Vickie
 
Stiff, cranky and depressing is understandable to all of us...we get it, heck, stiff, cranky and depressing R US! But there are better and might I say much warmer days to come...my knees are not happy with this weather either Vickie..we are getting blowing snow here today ...where is our sunshine and flowers and chirping birds when we need them??? Don't ever hesitate to post what you feel...I guarantee there are others who are feeling exactly the same as you feel. When I look back at myself during my recovery it's like I am looking at a stranger..my moods and behaviour were nothing like I am when I am well and not hurting.
 
Dewey,
God luck on your upcoming surgery. Your right knee should be strong enough by then to help out the other knee. Please let us know if we can encourage you. I will stop whining long enough to be supportive. I promise!

Vickie
 
Sissy,
Your surgery is coming up very soon also. I will be checking in on you. Let us know how you are feeling when you are up to it. Pretty soon you will have 2 good knees and literally be traveling the world again. That's enough to make anyone smile!

Vickie
 
Cathy,
When is your trip to Florida? I wouldn't be up to a 10 hr trip right now, but who knows how much can change in just a few weeks. If you take your meds, maybe it would work out just fine. You could also ask for a ride to your gate. Just show them your knee scar or get a note from your doc so that you can board early.

You will be riding that bicycle before you know it! :bicycle1: You are doing so well at the gym. It just a matter of giving it a little more time.

Vickie
 
Hi Laura,
I'm so happy for you that you were able to go out for your birthday. It's a step towards living a normal life again and that is what all of us want! I'm going to my nephews birthday dinner next Saturday and I'm already wondering how long that I will be able to sit there. My MIL is having a really hard time understanding the recovery length of this surgery and I know that she is going to give me a hard time if we have to leave the restaurant early. That's is a week away though and maybe it will be better by then.

Hope you are feeling better today!

Vickie
 
I was reading what i wrote to you last night Vickie... I think I need to stop writing late at night, some of my sentences dont even make sense to me. My brain knew what I was trying to say, but im not so sure anyone else will know. Sorry I hope you got some of it out of the things i wrote.
Hope everyone has a good nice, me I have lots and lots of swelling tonight its been a busy couple of days.
night ladies
Susie
 
Hi Vickie,
My trip is in the middle,of June. I will see how I feel,having hard time typing so chat tomorrow
Cathy
 
Cathy, I bet that your are feeling great by June. When do you need to book your flights? I still haven't made any definite plans for our trip this summer. Until I get better ROM, I just can't make myself commit to anything. My Dr. has always been very optimistic about our travel plans, but while I feel like this, it's hard for me to share his enthusiasm. I know that things can change quickly and I'm certainly hoping for that. Vickie
 
Vickie don't delete your thread!! It has been helpful to me :). I used your instructions and was able to get in and out of my bathtub yesterday! I was like if Vickie can do it so can I!! Even my 7 year old daughter said to me when she saw me by the bathtub "don't do it Mommy if you get stuck I can't get you out and you will have to stay in there till Daddy comes home from Las Vegas". I told her sweety don't worry I can do this! We all have our up and DOWN days so I think ALL postings can be helpful to someone at some point! I would be lost without this forum and all that post! Hang in there things will only get better .... with TIME!
 
Sadknee, I am so happy for you that you were able to get in and out of the tub by yourself! I actually did get in the tub the first time while my husband was gone to the store. He was worried about it to. I just knew deep down that I could do it and I wanted to get in the warm water so bad! Doesn't it feel amazing?

Thank you for your kind words about my thread. On days when I am feeling down and think that I'm just not getting any better it feels like all I do is come out here and whine!

I called my doctors office this morning and talked to them about the excessive amount of time that I am at PT. (2-1/2 hours on Friday). The reason I actually called though was to see if I needed stronger pain meds to make it thru the bending exercise that I do at PT. I cry thru the entire thing and it feels awful. The nurse said that they were more concerned about me getting my knee straight at this point and my ROM of 105 is fine for now. She asked me to get the PT to call her to talk about the exercises. Now I figure that the therapist is going to be upset that someone has challenged her way of doing things. I may have to end up switching to a different place. I'm praying that it all works out. I just feel so tired and stressed out from this right now.

So, your kind words could not have come at a better time. Thank you!

Vickie
 
Oh, Vickie, my heart is breaking for you right now....There is no way that they should push you to the point of tears at PT. I would be happy that my OS office is going to speak to them. I also would not worry about the PT getting upset about that, this is your knee, your pain and your recovery and you are paying them to help you not to hurt you...they are supposed to follow what the OS wants for you. PT is supposed to be beneficial not detrimental and painful.
OK, and about this travel thing...NEVER give up on the goal! Always keep the idea of traveling to great places, being comfortable walking and not being afraid to dream of new adventures as your long term goal...I have my TRKR on 4/3 and have a big trip planned and paid for this September and October and refuse to allow myself to even go there mentally. Think positive! Here's a big hug for you today ((((( :flwrysmile:))))))))
 
Hi Sissy,
It does feel so defeating to think that I'm beginning to give up on our dream to travel again this summer. After all, travel was the reason that I had the knee replacement done in the first place. I know that you also understand that dream, since you love to travel too. I think that with all of the stress that I am having right now at PT about the ROM, it has just left me feeling defeated. I know that I just need to listen to my OS and if he is happy with the recovery then all is ok. However, when you are hearing the PT say that you can't move onto the next exercise until you reach the ROM that she wants, it just feels like I can't make it thru this. I hope that the nurse gets this all worked out with PT before I get there and I don't have to go thru this anymore. Please don't misunderstand, I am motivated to exercise and get my knee healed. It just feels like this is more than I can do right now.

I never even thought about exercise as being a problem before I had the replacement. I feel a little blind-sighted by the whole thing.

I know that I'm going to get thru all of this and I want you to know that it has helped for you to post to me. I'm hoping that I will be able to repay the favor if you need any encouragement in the next few months. It really helps to have recovery friends!

Vickie.
 
The beautiful and amazing thing about this site is that there is always someone who gets what you mean or where you are in recovery to talk to and give you comfort...I know you are motivated to move on and feel bad that PT is causing you unnecessary stress and pain.
My day is coming and it is reassuring to know that when I come here boo hooing:beg: as I am sure I will do you will be here for me. :friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom