Guest viewing is limited

THR Vet girl is a hippie !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember the mantra .... Rest, elevate, ice and take your prescribed pain meds Aussie girl :)
 
Hi everyone....so sorry i have been missing in action .....

Things are going pretty well...i have been super tired and they have taken some blood tests to see if my haemoglobin is low...as this might explain this.

I have had my wound checked....no sutures to be removed except for one on the tiny incision above my real incision. It has healed beautifully and the dressing can come off tomorrow

Unfortunately, I wasn't allowed to start my out patient PT as it would have taken a few hours for a waterproof dressing to seal and they didn't want to risk any chance of infection. I did get to see the rehab Dr who ordered the blood test and gave me a script for more pain meds.

Unfortunately, I have to stay on crutches for the full 6 weeks....they think it is because my hip is uncemented but my OS is overseas now and as he said crutches for six weeks in the initial consult everyone says I have to follow this.

I have not been doing much....been out a few times. I find it hard to sit in a normal chair for more than 1/2-3/4 hr at a time when out because it feels like I'm sitting on a ball of a bruise. I am having no problems getting around or using stairs etc and its amazing not to have that pain in my hip.

pain meds....I am still taking the slow release pain med and anti-inflammatory but have cut down on the break though pain meds. And I'm still icing elevating etc.

When out I have no problem getting a good walk in but at home it hard to get any distance up. I have this really groovy two tier tray trolley walker which means i can walk around getting drinks or a cup of tea etc...best recovery aid ever!!!! :dancy:

Its hard not to compare my recovery to others who are walking without sticks or walking heaps etc.....when i have so tired. i feel like i could and should be doing more but then i get so tired.

Anyway....its been great catching up on everyones threads and to see everyone doing so well
 
Hi Vetgirl, once they sort out your hemoglobin levels and start moving the levels in the right direction you will feel less tired, it won't take long... Yes, lots of us found in those early days/weeks that we were sitting on tennis balls, that too will slowly dissipate.

Regards, feeling as though you are behind in your recovery when comparing your progress with other members I had exactly the same thoughts! Then I realized it was my recovery journey and my body was going to dictate how long it would take to recover. I am 22 months post and still feel the ache in certain muscles as I try different activities, like walking up and down grades.. I always expected it to take me 24 months to fully recover given my total lack of mobility pre surgery, but rather than pin myself to a timeframe of 2 years, I am now giving myself some slack and self talking and have come to an agreement with myself that it will take as long as it takes. And indeed if I only achieve 90% it is far better that the electric wheelchair I was days off going into pre surgery..

Be gentle and kind with yourself grasshopper you are progressing at your recovery speed and this is a good approach... Hugs Aussie girl
 
Thanks Poppet....I feel ok to do stuff but then am so tired....I feel a bit lazy and I'm hoping it is my haemoglobin and not just me!! N
 
Hi Vetgirl, I'm sorry to hear you are having problems with your haemoglobin. Hopefully they will get it straightened out.

Its hard not to compare my recovery to others who are walking without sticks or walking heaps etc.....when i have so tired. i feel like i could and should be doing more but then i get so tired.

I wouldn't worry about comparing yourself to everyone else, we all recover differently and some of us are dealing with issues that is delaying the use of our new hip. Once we are able to use our new hip we will be flying out of that starting gate just like everyone else!!!

Also last night I ONLY woke up 1 Time!!!! I was so excited this morning when I slept for 4 hours straight!

Keep up the good work and take care of yourself, you're doing great!!!
 
Sleeping equals healing VG. Get your bloods sorted out and then gradually your energy will return :)
 
Vetgirl, haven't heard from you in awhile. Hope all is well! Do update when you get a chance.
 
Hi...sorry I have been absent for a bit. I'm going well but feel my recovery is a bit slower than some of you.

Life has been super busy with kids going back to school and my hubby had to go to the USA for a final job interview for a new job here in OZ. my dad and aunts came to stay with me and the kids which was great.

I had to have a week off rehab due to them closing for a week and went back this week.....still exhausting but great to talk to others in the same situation. I am still on crutches as my OS required that for six weeks. I see him next week....and feel so ready for just a stick. :yay:
:yay: :yay:

I have been going out each day and my hip definitely tells me if I've done too much. I am still achy in the quad muscle but if I do too much I get this real ache in my previous hip joint and so have to ice and rest. I think I'll be really nervous about driving as its my right leg and braking scares me......I think I'll delay my return to work for another month as I'm still really tired.

On the good side no more bone on bone pain, stairs are a breeze even on crutches and each day I get better and stronger!!!!!!! I still really believe the surgery is much easier than the waiting and not knowing!!!!!!

I think about you often and hope you are all going well......thanks to Jaycey and sunsetbiking for thinking of me!!!!!!
 
Hi Vetgirl
Sorry I wasn't following your recovery story, fear is a terrible emotion, the past month or two I've not been able to read posts on the site, I was scared I'd read something that would knock my fear and anxiety levels back.

I'm so glad your back on track and always remember how far you've come not how far you imagine you should be in your recovery. You were a great help to me pre op and still are in post op, I've always liked how honest you are, a great quality in a person,

Onwards and upwards.
 
Hi Vetgirl are you feeling better?I hope so,if not you will be.Try not to compare your recovery to anyone else I dont think any good can come from that and you might set yourself up for disappointment.Sounds to me like your recovery is going just the way your recovery should be going.And as far as being tired,ya think?Your body has gone through the equivalent of being tossed into a wood chipper.Of course your tired.Im tired.Before surgery though I was exhausted.How bout you?Ya your good and we're here for when your not.Vent Aussie.Peace.
 
You will get there Vetgirl. :) Slow and steady... I am 23 months post and still get tremendously tired.. Working full time, long days and general living activity. I always gave myself at least 2 years for full recovery, but I adjust it as the months go by and believe due to my lack of mobility pre surgery for so many years that it will take as long as it takes... Each day, each week, each month gets easier Sally :)
 
Thanks for your replies Roofmaster PDH63 and Poppet

I'm having some groin. Pain which is annoying but see surgeon tomorrow and can't wait to get off the crutches!!!!!
 
I think your doing great , allow yourself that much , don't compare we're all different , you don't know if the person's recovery your comparing to was a world class athlete in the past and extremely fit pre op , they may be mega millionaires who have the best post op care anyone can get , we just don't know , all we know is what our own body tells us and we are where we are supposed to be .

The one thing we do all have in common is this site , problems with knees and hips , a desire to get rid of those problems and maybe help someone along the way like we've been helped .
 
Hi Vetgirl. I have that same annoying groin pain. :(. Some of mine seems to be caused by tight abductor muscles. The pt worked on them today to try and soften things up. It definitely helped.

Looking forward to seeing what your doctor has to say!
 
Thanks calikat. I'll ask my PT about that

I went to the surgeon on Tuesday and am finally off the crutches!!!! That has lifted my mood and spirits so much. I'm walking well without them but for security take a crutch or stick when out for extra support and so people might take care!!!!

I'm doing a lot more around the house and still doing my rehab program 3 times a week which involves an hour in the pool and an hour in the gym. We have a half an morning teas and also half an hour education talk in things like how to get up from a fall, getting back. To exercise etc...it's great to chat to people in a similar situation. I'm by far the youngest! They call me the baby of the group. I love the pool. I get really exhausted after it though.

I still am getting some pain in the groin and also over the cut but the dr is happy with my progress so it's all good. I'm getting quite a bit of pressure to go back to work....but the dr said another 6 weeks off. I'd prefer to go back a little earlier...well see how it goes

How everyone is progressing well
 
Great to hear your off the crutches , another milestone over , and your being more active .
I took a rest today , funny I was feeling stiff in the groin and had swelling on top of the hip like you have , I think it's because of the dislocation and the trauma the muscles and tendons were put under .
It's nerve racking when I'm not used to something and can get a fright but from what I've read here a lot of it is normal and takes time .

Wow that group sounds great and what a pity your so so young and have to be the baby of the group , you wish you were older ( not ) :rotfl: , great to have support .

Your recovery sounds brilliant , it's a mantra on here for a reason : '' follow the advice given '' , I'll be 14 weeks off by the time I get back to work , I have a high risk of doing damage at work , but it will give me time to get back on the bike and on the road to getting fit again , I was adviced to stay off that long , listen to your doctor .
 
Wow PDH63. 14 weeks off work!!!! What do you do???

I'm a vet nurse so that's why I'm getting longer off work.

I agree with what you say about the swelling and ache. My Dr said that the pain under the scar is the muscles and tendons healing and the pain in the joint is where all the action happened with attaching the new joint in the socket etc....so yep it's normal.

The ache usually happens when I've done too much!!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom