TKR Very discouraged, 2 weeks postop

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are never alone once you join this site. It is quite wonderful. I pretty much iced and elevated any time I was sitting or laying down. My elevation was not always above level of heart but I kept my legs up a majority of the time (usuall recliner with legs up and a pillow or two under it) and made sure some of the time they were above the level of my heart but iced pretty much non stop. I believe this helped with my recovery as well as religiously following the bonesmart gentle approach. Often, my in home PT made comments on how hard I must have been working on flexion and I kept saying not really but worked hard on elevating and icing to limit the swelling. It really does work. You are so early in the recovery - slow and steady will win this race.
 
saultlooser Hello there, I was reading your thread and I saw you were taking 2 tramadol 37.5 acet 325 every 2 hours. Is this correct or is it a typo? I only ask because I am taking the exact same medication and it is to be taken every 4 to 6 hours! If you are taking it every 2 hours you are getting 7800 mg of acet in 24 hours!!!!!
 
It does say you can take them every 4 to 6 hours but I found I was managing the pain better if I take 2 every 4 hours (not every 2 hours). The pain seems to be getting a bit better now so I am thinking maybe I can cut it back to 2 pills every 6 hours but don't want to do it until I am really ready.
 
I'm glad that was a typo! I wouldn't be in a rush to give them up at 2 weeks post op! I hope I can manage my post op pain with this dosage.
 
I agree with those who said to ice longer. Just get your leg up as high as you can and leave the ice on as longer as you can, hours is fine, just make sure to protect your skin with a towel or something. The first two weeks are the absolute worst. Eventually you will see a turn around. Just check your expectations and be as patient as you can. It sounds like you're doing great with not cooking, etc. keep that up and just take it real easy until you feel like doing things. I'm super happy with my knee at 7 months. It just works so much better. :spin:
 
I think what is very important is not to ever feel intimidated by your surgeon. You need to be an advocate for yourself. Next time, go in with a list of questions written down..show him that you are involved in your post op care (some people just leave it all up to the dr and never mutter a word). Remember they are human and humans tend to respond to responsive people. You own your body. And with the help here..we will help you through this.
A great community.
 
I am taking a stool softener with my hydrocodone and am trying to remember to drink water. It is working a little but not good enough so I am switching to combo of senna and ducocet (softner and laxative).

I had my surgery the day before yours and I can easily let myself feel sorry about the slow progress but I am trying to take it easy and am relying on the experience here. My surgeon told me two days ago when I went for post op that until the swelling goes down I probably won't see much rom improvement. I was in pretty good cycling shape, riding my bike up to a few days prior to the surgery and I'm hoping that the exercises they have given me combined with walking will help me stay reasonably fit so that when I can ride again I won't have too much of a fitness setback to deal with. My extension is getting better with the walking and does not seem to be heavily impacted by swelling. Bending/flexion is another story and like you I am concerned but am trusting my surgeons comments and the experience of others.
 
maddoxsmama. I see that you are 6 weeks post op. so am I. May I ask you if you are still having issues with pain? Is so, what are you taking? I am still being bothered by pain significantly and my doc has me taking one 5/325 Percoset every 8 hours (not able to take NSAIDs). He really wants me to work on getting off this med too. Just wondering what others at the 6 week mark are able to do and what meds they are taking. I know enough not to compare my recovery with anyone else's , just curious. Thanks.
 
Sorry, just realized I should have posted the above question to maddoxsmama in my own thread and not hi-jack yours. I have done that now. My apologies.
 
Gracious, can't type tonight! I meant " the above question". Not the " bone question"
 
He then threatened that if I don't increase it to 90 degrees within the next 2 weeks he will bring me back in surgery. is that what MUA is?
What, drag you by the hair or what? Unladylike language in telling this basket what to do is in order.

2 weeks is nothing. As everyone is saying (and you are doing!) relax, take it easy, let healing take its course. If you are still stuck in a couple of MONTHS then MUA might be considered, if you aren't progressing at all. Adhesions - what MUA is designed to break - are actually quite rare.
 
My surgeon doesn't even consider MUA until at least 3 months out. He says you can't tell anything until the swelling has gone down. I'm having mine done 5 months after the surgery. At this point we can pretty safely say that the flexation is truly a problem and not just due to swelling.
 
I'm two weeks post op today. I've a similar rom to you. My PT said extension first then rom will follow. I find icing invaluable - as is the input from these folks!
 
hi , i am almost 5wk post op and ROM has just got to 80 this week after working on it with gentle physio and hydotherapy really hope to gain more :egypdance:
 
saultlooser....the dosage of Tramadol you are on is very low. This soon after surgery it is no wonder that you are experiencing pain if you try to take two every 4-6 hours. It is NEVER a good idea to take more of your medication than prescribed (taking 2 every 2 hours is not good unless prescribed by your doctor....plus it gives you way too much acetaminophen in a 24 hour period).

I think you should take no more of the medication than what is prescribed, starting immediately. Then....if you still find yourself in pain after 2 hours, contact your surgeon's office (there should be someone on call even over this holiday weekend) and tell him that this is not working for you. The usual prescription for Tramadol is 50mg, 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours. And, normally if you having pain right after surgery, you would be given something like Percocet or Hydrocodone for a few weeks and then switch to the Tramadol.

It does sound like some discussion about your pain management is in order with your surgeon. Or....if he proves not to be much help....contact your GP. They are sometimes a lot more understanding about the need for proper pain management.

Many surgeons don't even see their patients until 6 weeks, so to recommend an MUA if you don't get to a certain point by an arbitrary date before that is just crazy. You cannot get ROM when you have swelling. And some of us tend to swell a lot after surgery (that would be me!!!). You just have to be gentle and calmly wait. You cannot hurry things up just because your surgeon thinks you should!
 
Well, had an appointment with my PT today and my ROM was 80! Very satisfied with that and PT kept telling me I am doing great and to trust her which I do. When I see the surgeon in 2 weeks I will definitely not be going for a MUA, I will tell him I need more time to work on my ROM. Once again, I have to tell all of you that I would not be surviving this if it had not been for this forum. I can't thank everyone enough for the support and guidance. I feel strong, informed and in control. :)
 
Well done saultlooser. :yay: Your PTsounds wonderful. You're on your way now. Have a great day. Jenny:SUNsmile:​
 
HI, i forgot to mention that the dose of tramacet I am taking is to manage my arthritis pain. My GP put me on this to get me through to my replacement. This just takes the edge off the pain and I cant imagine it being strong enough this early in your recovery.
 
Thanks for your support Jenny.

my Way, I kind of figured these meds are probably not strong enough but all other meds they tried made me sick so it looks like tramadol/cet is the only thing I can tolerate. I sure wish I could take something stronger but I'm working it out. I agree that something stronger would have been better this early in the recovery.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom