Guest viewing is limited

TKR Very discouraged, 2 weeks postop

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should check this out before doing it but, my Dr. said it was safe to take three if I had to. I haven't yet. he did prescribe tramadol 50 mg but my group insurance won't cover it until the paper work is completed.
 
Good morning everyone,
Well, I will be 3 weeks post tomorrow and I'm doing great(except for constipation issues which I am working on). Today what has surprised me is the severe mood swings I'm having. I know I am progressing at a really good pace, I know it will take time, I'm at peace with that but today since I got up I am really grouchy and all I want to do is have a full out tantrum, stamp my feet, throw things and yell. I keep trying to figure out why I feel this way. I guess deep down I feel I've had enough of this and just want to get back to normal. It's just weird how you can wake up one morning and be very positive/ happy and the next day be like a bear and want to rip somebody's head off to release some frustration. So, I decided the best way to try and calm this storm was to share it here with the people I am sure will understand. I am (almost -lol) feeling a bit better just having typed this email.
 
saultlooser
This is kinda how I felt last night. I am experimenting to see if the Hydrocodone is contributing and I have stopped taking it. This AM I feel great and no pain yet today. I don't feel as antsy or tight and upset. Just a thought.
I can also get depressed when I think of not being able to go out and keep fit but that will come.
 
Ah, yes. Lots of liquids and dried fruit are your friend. :wink:
Come here any time you need to :gaah:
 
I have a couple of questions for everyone. I am 3 weeks post op. Today, I tried to reduce my tramadol from 2 every 4 hours to 1.5 every 4 hours. Did it once and pain and tightness increased. My question is this, how should we know that it's time to reduce the meds? Do we decide, the doctor or the PT? Also, I have a cottage that is 1 hour away from where I am staying, with 16km of gravel road. I'm thinking this weekend is too soon to start traveling there but would like your input/advice. My ride in to PT is 40 minutes in a car and my knee does not like that drive at all, find myself shifting in my seat. Any and all input appreciated.
 
That's a good question. I have this sense that the pain medicine cancels out the pain, and the pain cancels out the medicine, but if I take more pain medicine than I need I notice more side effects such as mental fuzziness and headache. Plus my knee hurt less when I moved it. I don't know -- it's almost sixth sense, and I don't remember!! My gosh, it's not PT or MD who decides. It's our role as patients to titrate our pain medication.

Your post reminds me of how much miserable time I spent in the car (worse because my knee did not bend well). All I can say is, if you want to be a happy camper, better to err on the side of caution. Would you be going to this cottage alone? If you were going with someone who drove and also did most of the work of being there, it sounds like a nice getaway. I used to ride in the back seat with the passenger seat in front of me laid flat so I could have my leg up and still be safely belted.
 
Three weeks is pretty early in the scheme of things. My doc said that most people needed pain meds for 6 weeks. There's no reason to rush to get off of them and I think you'll know when its time. It's that day when you just forget to take them. :) I stayed home quite a bit at first and I think that facilitated the healing. It's hard if you inadvertently over do and that can be very easy at first. We want to hurry up and get better. Just be assured, you WILL get better and life is pretty awesome with a new knee but! it does take a little time.:yahoo:
 
Thanks very much for the advice. I am so looking forward to getting back to my normal life. The knee is the boss and it sure lets me know I need to continue with the mantra, rest, elevate and ice.
 
Think you and I are having the same up and downs! My knee was the day after yours. Chin up chicken - as we say in the uk. :)
 
I'd give it until week 4 before trying to cut back again. Like you say, your knee is boss and will tell you when it's ok.
 
I have a question. I'm hoping you will not think its a silly question but here goes: when I wake up in the morning, I always stretch from head to toe. After this surgery, I stopped doing it and didn't even notice until this past week. This past week, when I wake up, I automatically have started stretching and when my TKR leg begins to stretch, my brain kicks in and stops me from doing it. It's a very scary feeling, almost like I just caught myself from really hurting my leg. So my question is, would it be ok to stretch that leg and would it hurt as much as my sub-conscious thinks it would? Also, should I avoid stretching that leg.
 
Cant imagine that normal stretching would be bad unless it is painful. I do it often to relieve discomfort.
 
Aw, honey, the same thing happened to me..don't let them scare you. All of us were a mess two weeks out and it's way too soon to worry about bending to any great extent.
I refused MUA. Twice. I am at nearly 5 months and making slow but steady progress, closing in on a hundred ROM.
Remember, this is a formula for many practices. Meaning same approach to everyone, which is stupid, until you consider that this protects them.
If ,in a year, you have crappy results, they can say they "tried everything", and thus prevent potential litigation. Also it's a big money maker for the hospital and do not underestimate this. A procedure that takes 10 minutes, books the OR and Anesthesia and guarantees another 12 PT session or so, is a big money maker for a practice. Plus it protects them from litigation.
This is not to say some people don't benefit from MUA, they do, but I hear just as many stories here where it was a miserable and non productive experience.
You just rest and heal and take things at your pace, you are going to be fine..just stick with us!xo
 
I was taking taadol 2 x 50mg every 4/6 hours for about 3 months! Why be in pain when you don't need to e? I was always told if you're taking it for pain you won't get addicted and just gradually cut down without even being aware of it
 
I'd say it's ok to stretch but not to the point of hurting. You are probably just feeling very protective of the leg--which is normal. Just take it slow and easy.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Very discouraged, 2 weeks postop


Nahh! Stretching is GOOD for you! Ever seen a stiff (live) cat? It's because they're always stretching! It's what the human body lacks in spades - a jolly good streeeeeeeeeetch here and there!
 
Hi there Sault :) I don't think I stopped taking meds 3x/day until maybe 2 months or so. I'm a wimp evidently. But seriously, the moods are probably caused by your pain meds. I had horrible crying episodes when I was on my medication which was oxycodone. It's all quite normal for what you're going through! Please take heart in that I seriously thought I would never get better...it seemed to drag on and on. But! I can say at almost six months that I'm doing really well now. You will too! I don't know if you saw this, but i created a graph charting my 5 month progress regarding emotional and physical progress along with a data point showing the reduction in medication. it might interest you to take a look. https://lauramacky.wordpress.com/?s=five+month Hang in there!!!
 
I don't think I stopped taking meds 3x/day until maybe 2 months or so. I'm a wimp evidently.
If you're a wimp, what does that make me - I was taking pain meds for 3 full month, at least!
 
Well, I probably said that too much in jest. Everyone is different. I had some real struggles because I had waited so long with the TKR that my hip, my groin and my foot were completely messed up and this was before the surgery! It was needless to say, awful! Occasionally I have taken one pill for this or that, but pretty much I'm off of it now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom