Guest viewing is limited

TKR Update

I’m sorry that there hasn’t been much improvement and that you feel you need to wait another 2 years to try again. I do understand your reasons, though, and I hope it works out for you.

I have considered making a “getting acquainted“ appointment with my next surgeon of choice, just in case an emergency comes up and I suddenly need him, but I just can’t make myself do it. I have passed the 5 year mark (last March) and I’m still managing, so it’s easy to keep putting it off.

How far is it to Boston for you? I’m looking at a surgeon in Philadelphia, which is about a 90-ish minute ride for me. (with a probability of intense traffic later in the afternoons, so that will take extra time.) But I feel a more populated area gives a better chance of a surgeon who has seen, and fixed, problems. I would think Boston will be a much longer ride for you, but worth it.

I do hope someday you will have both knees done successfully.
 
Boston is about 60 miles, but because of traffic it is 90 minutes to 2 hours driving time. I still will definitely go to Boston next time
I was thinking about figuring out which doctor beforehand like you stated for the same reason!! I literally cannot even remember what it is like to not be in pain 24/7/365!! It sux!!
 
You’re closer to Boston than I thought. That’s good.

I don’t really have what I would call pain, but my knee just feels really bad and like it’s out of joint, far too often. But, I don’t make it do things it doesn’t like, so that’s how I’m “managing.” I’m sure it would feel worse if I had a job that require me to bend my knee a lot, I’m sure that would put me into the pain category. I still can’t go down steps foot over foot. That really makes it feel out of joint, any time I try, and my step is very shallow. I don’t even try it on a regular height step.

We do what we have to, right?
 
my TKR will be 3 years old tomorrow and it still was an absolute failure!! in the meantime my right knee has of course become considerably worse.
@DOCCUKE, I think you definitely need to see a revisionist surgeon as soon as you can. There is no reason for you to have to suffer like this. I'm sure your old, natural knee is suffering so much because your new knee is in such bad shape. You can do plenty of research on the web for doctors in Boston. I wouldn't put it off any longer. It's affecting your whole life. :prayer:
 
I would love to get it resolved, but I cannot do it until I retire. Not financially possible.. sometimes reality just sux!!
 
@DOCCUKE , have you tried any braces to support both knees? When my left knee had no medial meniscus left, my surgeon prescribed a carbon fiber unloader brace for my bad knee that helped a LOT. It easily delayed surgery a few more years and allowed me to be on my feet more.

Your knee issues may be very different from what mine were, so you would have to discuss with a surgeon whether it would help your right knee while you wait for surgery.

I also used off the shelf tight neoprene knee supports and they also helped. I found the kind with the criss-cross straps to work the best, for me at least.

Now, after four surgeries, I still use the neoprene braces when my knee is having a bad day and it helps.

If you try the neoprene braces, note that you can't wear them too much of the time, and you have to keep them very clean, or you can develop skin issues. I usually wore them over lycra tights except when it was very hot.
 
@DOCCUKE. have you tried getting on Medicare? With your outcome, you should qualify for SSI until you age into it. It would be worth a try, in my opinion.
 
Haven't tried medicare yet. I have health insurance, that is not the problem. The problem is the amount of unpaid time off I would need to take is not possible. This will have to wait until I can retire in 2024
 
@DOCCUKE , have you tried any braces to support both knees? When my left knee had no medial meniscus left, my surgeon prescribed a carbon fiber unloader brace for my bad knee that helped a LOT. It easily delayed surgery a few more years and allowed me to be on my feet more.

Your knee issues may be very different from what mine were, so you would have to discuss with a surgeon whether it would help your right knee while you wait for surgery.

I also used off the shelf tight neoprene knee supports and they also helped. I found the kind with the criss-cross straps to work the best, for me at least.

Now, after four surgeries, I still use the neoprene braces when my knee is having a bad day and it helps.

If you try the neoprene braces, note that you can't wear them too much of the time, and you have to keep them very clean, or you can develop skin issues. I usually wore them over lycra tights except when it was very hot.
I tried some elaborate braces that the doctor had, they immediately caused far more pain in both knees. He kept telling me to give it time, I wanted to slap his head off his shoulders!! They were immediately excruciatingly painful, could not stand up with them on. I have a pair of stretch supports that I wear when I have to go in to my office to work. They do help keep my right knee from randomly collapsing. Better than nothing
 
The problem is the amount of unpaid time off I would need to take is not possible.
That's where the SSI, (Social Security Insurance), might kick in. You could always check it out. That costs nothing and may benefit you so you can still be paid and have your surgery, too.
 
The other problem is my final pay from SS retirement is largely determined by what I made the prior 2 years.. collecting disability will drastically change my average and my pay from SS retirement. King of a cluster
 
The conditions for receiving SSI are pretty stringent (it is means tested.). If you have much in the way of savings you don’t qualify.

There is a completely different program called SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance) which is not means tested but the medical requirements are still stringent.
 
Hi @DOCCUKE ! I’m in Gilford......very small world! Sorry your knee isn’t doing well. I had both knees replaced, and one hip, by Dr. Burns at Concord Ortho. Is that where you went? (Dr. Fox did my first hip).

Marie
 
Hello DOCCUKE,

I read your original post with interest. Sorry to hear it has been so painful for you. However I have a question that I hope you don't mind my asking: How were you able to achieve 130 degree ROM after only 3 weeks? Was this done with the help of a physical therapist in PT sessions and using PT-prescribed exercises at home? Or did you do it more or less on your own? In either case, what specific types of exercises did you do to accomplish that?

My reasons for asking this are related both to my own experience with bilateral TKA surgeries that I had about 4 months ago (2 weeks apart), as well as to your own ongoing experience with pain. I'll explain what I mean after seeing your reply on how you were able to get to 130 degrees so quickly.

Thanks,
Al
 
Last edited:
Greetings. I have a new symptom, actually symptoms. After sitting more than half an hour I cannot put any weight on my knee that has not been replaced. If I stretch my right leg out and sit like that for a few minutes I can carefully put weight on it When I straighten my leg it is extremely painful but it is the only way I can use my leg. The other symptom is I am getting a sharp pain on the back of my knee, almost more of a burning sensation. Curious if anyone else has experienced either symptom.

My plans to wait 2 years to get this knee replaced are seeming to be getting more and more unlikely!!
It will be difficult to make it financially if I have this replaced before I retire. Maybe I will luck out and win the lottery!! Or get hit by a bus!! LOL J/K gotta keep on smilin right?

Anyway, if anyone has experienced either symptom and has any advice I am all ears

PEACE
DOC
 
My guess is your other knee is compensating for the poor outcome of the replaced one, and it is wearing it out. I’m so sorry. I hope you can work something out.
 
Hi @DOCCUKE ! I’m in Gilford......very small world! Sorry your knee isn’t doing well. I had both knees replaced, and one hip, by Dr. Burns at Concord Ortho. Is that where you went? (Dr. Fox did my first hip).

Marie
Hi Marie. Yes Concord Orthopedic. Dr Neil Dion did my surgery. Would NOT recommend him!!
 
Hello DOCCUKE,

I read your original post with interest. Sorry to hear it has been so painful for you. However I have a question that I hope you don't mind my asking: How were you able to achieve 130 degree ROM after only 3 weeks? Was this done with the help of a physical therapist in PT sessions and using PT-prescribed exercises at home? Or did you do it more or less on your own? In either case, what specific types of exercises did you do to accomplish that?

My reasons for asking this are related both to my own experience with bilateral TKA surgeries that I had about 4 months ago (2 weeks apart), as well as to your own ongoing experience with pain. I'll explain what I mean after seeing your reply on how you were able to get to 130 degrees so quickly.

Thanks,
Al
Hi Al.
I just did whatever the pt lady told me to do. I had 90 degrees the day after surgery
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom