Guest viewing is limited

TKR Update

I got these cleats that attach to my boots. They dig right in to the ice. So far I went outside once this winter without them, and the result was painful.
If you need to go outside during the winter, that is the way to go!!

I attached a pic of them. There are more than a few versions on the net but anything that looks like the ones I bought work. I really cannot afford to fall again. And I can't afford to retire for at least 5 more years!!

I turn 63 in a couple of weeks. Believe me if it was affordable I would retire tomorrow!!

Come on Spring!! LoL
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Update
    Screenshot_20210204-215714.png
    127.5 KB · Views: 270
I haven't been on here in a while. To update, not much change. Still the worst thing I ever did was getting this TKR. Pain is still worse the before surgery. Then to make it even better, 3 weeks ago I went out to walk my dog & stepped on ice on the top step!! Slipped & fell full weight on the replacement knee!!

Still pretty bad. Having a tough time walking. Dr put me in a knee brace that would not allow me to bend. He wanted me to use it 3 weeks. Dumped it after 1 week as it was making it worse. Only good news was according to him the implant was not damaged. He said I tore a ligament!

24/7 pain wears ya down, or it at least wears me down!!

Anyway, Happy New year y'all

Hope everyone is pain free!!
Peace
DOC
I, too, am not one of the lucky ones who have no pain, and great results, following a TKR. Can't say I have the same constant pain as before surgery, but still experiencing tightness and pain standing and sitting. wish I could be one of the lucky ones but I've learned to accept what I have....
 
@DOCCUKE So sorry you fell and got hurt. Today was the first time in a week I went outside because I am afraid of falling. I am a klutz on a nice day and can trip on a shadow. Thanks for mentioning those cleats. I saw them online and was wondering if they worked or if it was a scam. I guess I'll order them, but I still think I will stay inside if I feel there may be a risk of an ice patch. I guess that really does not r make any sense as no one goes out expecting to fall; that's why it's an accident. I am on short term disability, which pays next to nothing, and I still have a couple of years left to work. After this long time of recuperating and staying home, I am definitely not ready to retire soon. Anyway, I hope you heal up and feel better. I still do not feel better than before my surgery either, but I am trying to have faith that things will get better.
 
@DOCCUKE

You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we will get it changed for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Thanks, I didn't look for my original thread because I thought it was locked for some reason, just me getting old I reckon!! LOL

But yea, anyone that has to go outside and deal with the weather those cleats are a lifesaver!! They dig right in to the ice. On the downside, not so great to keep on in the house. I take my boots off as soon as I get back in the house. Aside from working I walk my dog 2 to 3 times a day so I really need something that keeps me from slip-sliding away!! LOL

I do NOT fall gracefully!!

Off to work

Have a great day
 
@DOCCUKE Those cleats were a lifesaver for me as well. Just after my LTHR we had record snow and ice. Fall is never an option. But just post surgery it is downright dangerous.

Have a great day!
 
I have read this entire thread and really hope you improve over time. I live in Australia and the trend isn't to push pt. I had 5 sessions to learn how to do exercises and that was it. I initially did do them but now I don't bother. My surgeon didn't measure anything or ask if I'm doing pt, he lifted my leg on his knee, had a feel and said all is good and honestly it is. I have no problem with the implant but rather my quad needs strengthening and aches and pains are improving. Ice really helps. I wanted to add that my surgery was robotic
3D camera assisted. I have two tiny incisions in my lower leg where the camera was inserted so the surgeon could fit and place the implant with precision..also I used an excellent surgeon so I had confidence in his ability to do a good job and he did. If you look for a second opinion perhaps a surgeon who uses latest technology to assist in surgery could help if you decide to go again. I really wish you well.
 
I have definitely come to the conclusion that I did not do enough research on my surgeon. He was a very young Dr & in hindsight just not a good choice

I believe finding a great surgeon makes all the difference in the world.

Glad you had a great surgeon

Thanks
 
Research on a surgeons professional history or better still word of mouth pays off. My husband had hip replacement with him and I had the knee done. Husband is great and I'm getting there. For the future for whatever reason I agree that who you choose to go with is part of the success story. All the best.
 
Greetings all

Just thought I would poke my head in and say hello.

As if my knee wasn't painful enough...

In late January I walked outside, stepped on some black ice and landed full weight on my replaced

knee!! Tore a ligament. Still trying to get back to where I was before the fall , which was not great.

Knee still is more painful than the knee that has not yet been replaced. At this point I am hoping to

push through another 4 to 5 years and get this one redone with a competent surgeon after I retire as I

cannot take the time required off from work!! Pain levels are in the ridiculous range most of the time.

I hope you all are having pain free days!!

Keep on smilin

DOC
 
Last edited:
Hi Doc - I read thru your posts and at only at 5 weeks post op I feel the same way . I had some pain and could only walk a few blocks then needed a cane and had to do steps one at a time other then that Idid not have chronic pain before the surgery.

I tore my meniscus several years ago and in addition was told I was bone on bone. I tried PT and different types of injections to help the sometime pain along with meds and topicals . My OS said you will know when it is time to have the surgery when it impacts your daily life . Well—I decided it was time .I know I’m only at 5 weeks but feel I’m way worse off then I was . My surgeon is one of the top guys and was lauded by everyone I know.Also all others that had done this before me didn’t seem to do as bad as I am so I figured how bad could it be ? I cry daily and have told my hubby repeatedly if I knew I would be in this much pain,stiffness and discomfort I would never had this done . I’m taking Tylenol also and only 1/2 of one pain pill before PT which is 3 times a week .In addition I have had all kinds of stomach issues since the surgery. I’m praying that with time this will heal and be better then before my surgery- everyone says give it time . A friend is due to have the surgery soon and keeps asking how I’m doing I don’t want to scare her but I feel she should be prepared. I told hubby idc what happens to other knee I will never get it done -they can make me one of those harnesses like they do for dogs and I’ll roll along !
 
Lindalu. DON’T DESPAIR!! It WILL get better, but you are a mere 5 weeks into a year long recovery! I think you might feel differently in a few months. I fault the medical establishment for not preparing us for what lies ahead. But you will make progress. Maybe you have quit your pain meds a bit too soon. Are you icing and elevating many times a day? Go back and read the journeys of many who have gone before.
Praying for you.
 
Thanks for the encouraging words Sisterpat -I’m trying my best to stay positive . I was up at 2:30 this morning with all kinds of weird leg pain and stomach issue. Went to PT this morning and he said my range is above average for 5 weeks so I guess that’s a plus. He said at this point it’s like climbing a hill and I’m almost at the top and in the next few weeks I should be finding it easier.Lord I hope so !
 
I sincerely hope you have better luck than I did. I had 130 degrees ROM 3 weeks out, but the pain never got better. On the plus side there are many folks on here that had outstanding results! Let's hope that will be your experience. At 5 weeks you definitely are very early in your recovery!!

Keep on smilin and I will be praying for you

DOC
 
@DOCCUKE - welcome back! You will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.

Sorry you are still in pain from your TKR. But glad you are safe from all this chaos.

All the best on your hand surgery! Let us know how it goes!
Sorry about that, I only opened a new one because last time I looked my original thread had comments disabled so I assumed I needed to open a new thread

I don't think I would trust anyone enough to cut me again at this point!! I don't know how much time I have left on this rock, and I already wasted the better part of a year on this replacement! Not inclined to risk losing another half year to a year on a second try!!

Hopefully the hand surgery will be as simple as they tell me it is
Greetings. I haven't been here in quite a while. My replaced knee is still horrible. My unreplaced right knee is definitely not doing great. Plan on trying to hang in until after October 2024 when I retire, then find a Good surgeon in Boston & get my right knee done. Who knows if I even live that long, but that is my plan so far!!
Peace
DOC
 
@DOCCUKE , I am in the Boston area. When it comes time to get your second knee done, or get a revision of the first, you should consider Dr. Peter Werger, Chief of Arthroplasty at St. Elizabeth’s, in Brighton, which is a suburb of Boston.

He did my revision and I believe he is highly skilled. He primarily does revisions and deals with all kinds of difficult situations (like mine), but I think he will do primary TKRs as well.
 
Thanks for the recommendation, I appreciate it very much. I was definitely planning on finding a doctor in Boston next time.
I firmly believe that the surgeon is probably the most important decision to make, & on my first tkr I definitely did not choose well! I may end up needing to do my right knee first which has not yet been done as it is getting really bad as of the last month. After sitting down for more than an hour when I first stand up I can't put any weight at all on it.

I will definitely check out Dr Werger .
Thanks again
DOC
 
Oh and to update my replaced knee has had some improvement, but it still is very painful. I have a spot to the right of my kneecap that if anything even brushes up against it sends me through the roof. my TKR will be 3 years old tomorrow and it still was an absolute failure!! in the meantime my right knee has of course become considerably worse. As I said in the last post I am trying to wait until october 2024 when I retire and then find a great surgeon in Boston to do my right knee. Not sure if I can get another 2+ years out of this beat up old knee or not, but going to try like hell. I still have an insane pain level everyday and it is really dragging me down. I know I sound like a broken record but y'all are my therapy!! LOL

Hope you all have a pain free day

DOC
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom