THR Up, up & away!'

Status
Not open for further replies.
@doopy, I've never seen snow and it's hot and humid here on the other side of the planet. I'm right there with ya regarding emotional outbursts and feeling like a failure. I'm a single mum of 4 though my youngest is 19 and I try to do as much as I can for myself but feel like I'm whining a lot lol they are all very understanding and try to do as much as they can to help out. I'm about to finish my post grad degree with one last assignment due in 13 days but I can't focus to get moving on it. My Dr was okay about more meds and has left a prescription for me to collect tomorrow so that's good. I stopped wearing the stockings after 3 weeks as they were too uncomfortable and since my weak knee incident I'm limiting exercise to 5 to 10 minutes stationary peddling a day for now. I hope your telephone call from NZ cheered you up x
Cait
LTKR
27th October 2016

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
 
Wow, @cait1981 , no snow! We are in the south of the Uk, about 30miles SW of London, so its relatively mild here. However, it's -3 at night & everywhere is frosty, which meant that the PT advised against walking outside a school the pavements in our road are v uneven as well. So I ought to take a walk but daren't!
Glad your kids are supportive - our one & only, 23, came home for 36 hours & tho it was great to see him & I know he'd been worried about my op, as soon as he saw I was ok he reverted to type, leaving hazards all over the floor! And lay around telling me how exhausted he was & needed to come home to rest!! I actually could see that it was him trying to make sure all was as normal - I know if I'd been wasting away in bed he'd have been worrying & caring, so this was his way of reasserting thebold status quo (i.e. Mum fine & capable!).
And I'll bet you aren't whining - with 4 of them, just think how much care you have given - it's your turn now! And we know deep down we aren't failures - we are bravely getting through this as best we can, & only us Bonesmarties really know how that feels!
Wow - stationary peddling - I can only dream!!!
 
Hi @doopy - and the rest of the BS gang. Oh wow I had a minor meltdown this morning. Jealously watching people on TV and weeping - and all they were doing was WALKING! :bawl:
Major brain fog when trying to tackle some emails - every single one took an age and I had to keep re-reading them because I didn't trust myself to make sense. :sad:
Completely there with you and the frustration which accompanies recovery and the sensation that we are lazy, simply because everyone else is busily getting on with their lives languishing in their mobility - and not even having the decency to appreciate they are able to move effortlessly!
Christmas card writing has been picked up and put down on and off for over a week now. Need to get 120 of them out to customers, quite apart from staff, personal and several for abroad. :scaredycat:
I'm big on Christmas but Heaven only knows if I'll get organised in time. Doubt it.
I think I'm just overtired. It's not a smooth curve. We aren't actually going bonkers and we'll all hold hands and share our grumbles. One day we will look back on all of this and spot the difference.
(PS - I've given up on bedtime TEDs. They're too hot and uncomfortable)
 
Oh @Miss Muffet , I feel for you!! I've taken to looking out of an upstairs window, watching life go by gently on our fairly quiet road and realising I'm so angry when I see people far older than me virtually running down the road!! How dare they??! Of course I don't mean it, & I'm so thankful that my sprightly 81 yr old Mum-in-law is fit enough to sit on the carpet at my feet & wrestle with those TEDs! In return, I'm teaching her how to use her new iPad - think I've got the better deal there!

My theory on brain fog is that our brains are using every cell just to keep us moving in the correct way & healing - there's no brainpower left over for thinking about Stuff!! My box of Xmas cards is sitting next to me...unopened.

My frustration is not being able to transport plates etc round our tiny kitchen. They PT yesterday sort of told me not to do it if it meant not using my crutches. But if I can stand & walk unaided with no pain, & I am good and using my crutches all the rest of the time - can a couple of steps here & there really matter?? And why am I so much more clumsy than usual?? I only have to look at something & it falls behind a radiator, behind a sofa etc!

It will pass, for all of us. By Christmas Day, whether my house is ready or not, the TEDs will be in the bin, the blood thinners finished & the crutches parked somewhere, & even if I still need help etc, I plan to enjoy it - hopefully painfree. And I plan to remind myself to be thankful!!
 
@Miss Muffet I suspect you are overtired--you've done a lot of wonderful things in the past week or two and now your body is recovering. I'm clearly still in a day of activity, day of rest mode--although I don't always rest on the day of rest. After my doctor visit yesterday, I should be couch sitting most of the day today but instead took the car to be inspected and then did a very quick grocery visit. Result: I'm ready for a nap and it's not yet noontime.
@doopy Interesting theory about the brain fog and I think you're on to something there. I long ago gave up on Christmas cards but I do have some other projects I said I'd tackle during this down time and instead I'm watching mindless videos or reading mindless books (and dozing).
 
Absolutely right - over stressing the body = tired + brain fog + weepies. I've rested and had a huge nap today and another good night should see me more like back on track. I do some part-time volunteering for the NSPCC and our Christmas lunch is scheduled for tomorrow. I had said I'd get driven there and make a drop-in appearance but have changed that to Apologies For Absence. Much as I'd love to see the team I want to devote that time to energy saving instead. It's just a question of choices and I know what my priorities are now.
@doopy - a great big high five for M-I-L and aren't we all envious of her sitting on the floor!
 
It's just a question of choices

So true--and sometimes so hard to make those choices. I have a ticket to a play tonight that I'd like to see but I'm not sure my hip is up for sitting in a theater seat for 2 plus hours--I think my body is telling me to stay home with legs up--so I just sent out an email to see if anyone would like the ticket.

Rest up!
 
The times we live in eh. I have an aunt who was given an iPad for her 90th birthday - she refers to it as her eye patch. I also have a wonderful memory of finding the grandkids' 87-year old Grandma with 4-year old granddaughter sat on the arm of the armchair showing her how to downhill ski. The squeals of delight as she twisted the iPad around the piste were hilarious - but the lasting memory was the surreal scene. Rewind to when I was aged 4 and it would be my grandmother showing me how to knit!
 
@Miss Muffet, how great giving an iPad to a 90 yr old & sending her skiiing!! I had a most wonderful grandmother who never saw a Dr in her life (religious stance!) & lived to nearly 98. Among my many memories of her is that of her climbing trees with me in her huge woodland garden aged around 70, & teaching my friend & I how to ride bikes a couple of years before. I just accepted that she could do all these things, but now I just wonder at it! I think my knees began to give up aged 50!
@gertie , I posted earlier re a bout of viral labyrinthitis & how I struggled with speech & brain fog, & it seemed to be accepted that the brain was just working so hard to keep the body upright & make sense of a world like a ship at sea that it just dropped the non-essential stuff off the edge for a while. That's how I feel now (unless it's just me making a mountain out of a molehill), I find household tasks exhausting because of the zillions of separate actions I need to do re crutches etc & "thinking" my muscles to move without falling, hurting, risking dislocation etc - a massive effort. I had a spinal, so no anaesthesia excuse for me!!:what:
 
@doopy I think you will be so much happier when you can get off the crutches and not have to think through the logistics of every move! I feel that way about getting dressed with the reacher and sock thingie--instead of just mindlessly pulling my jeans on I have to think through the order of steps and if I get anything out of sequence, I have to start all over again.
 
:loll:@gertie Socks??! You wear socks!!! I haven't been able to contemplate a sock for so many years because of bits of me which don't bend!!! Will this be the shape of untold dreams to come??!

But yes, you are right only 11 more days to go on crutches, then life will be easier. The blasted things are so unwieldy, get tangled up with the grabber & anything else. I suffer such guilt all the time (especially after my first visit to the PT yesterday) - is my foot turning out? (Probably) did I twist? (almost certainly), etc - so very wearing.
 
@Jaycey , thanks for that - I'm not on any restrictions, even the 90 degree rule, except for 4weeks of crutches, & everyone tells me how rare dislocation is - but when will I let go of all this fear??! My brain understands, but the rest of me just carries on being fearful. But I know it will start to fade with every positive step. :rolleyes:
 
@doopy Socks indeed! Too cold here not to wear them but I have been suffering with strangled toes because that sock thingie just yanks them on and ouch!

Too bad the PT induced guilt rather than helpful awareness.
 
:loll:@gertie Socks??! You wear socks!!! I haven't been able to contemplate a sock for so many years because of bits of me which don't bend!!! Will this be the shape of untold dreams to come??!
Didn't I send you the link for the sock gadget (from Amazon)? I wouldn't be without mine - let me know if you want the details.
 
@Miss Muffet , indeed you did, but seriously, socks, shoes with any kind of fastening ( & don't even mention boots!) have all been off my radar for so long that I couldn't conceive of getting them on, with any kind of contraption!!! They've taken on a mythical status - something Other People wear!! But maybe not for much longer! !:elevate:
 
@doopy We started helping Salvation Army when I was homeschooling my son in high school. There was a notice on the bulletin board and I said let's check this out and help in the community. We have enjoyed this so much that we go back every single year! It makes you aware that we take so much for granted and it could be so different. So I am glad we got this opportunity to make a difference in someone's life! Thank you for your kind words.

I swam as much as I could the last two years because it truly helped my joints. I planned surgery for September and October because the weather changes and it is too cool to swim. I prefer sunny warm days to cooler days in the winter. Some still swim but I will wait til It really warms up. I can walk now! Woo! Hoo! Here we are only out of the pool for 4 months or so.
 
Aaagh! V scared & emotional - very kind, brave husband has just removed my bandage!! It was meant to come off (for good) 2 days ago but i wimped out, but now it's gone. I'm too scared to look - not because I'm squeamish but because of my poor little (not!) damaged body. He says it's fine - clean, with nothing to see, but it's a bit stingey. He's being all matter-of-fact about it, saying it's one more step towards the end of all this - I'm whimpering behind a pillow! (Actually I'm ok now, but anyone else felt the same???). :yikes::eeeuw:
 
@doopy @ Miss Muffet I wear slip on Sandals most of the time, however got soft sketchers for walking distances, such as walking down my driveway. Never wore heels and never plan to. Boots possible!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom