THR Up, up & away!'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think our US Smarties are generally given more guidance on leg lengths versus beds/chairs

Best wishes, @doopy with your first days home. It's wonderful to be in your own space and also challenging.

I did get my house set up beforehand with risers for the couch and bed and a rented recliner in place but I got most of my guidance from BoneSmart posts (and my own experience several years ago with an ankle injury). It would be wonderful to have an occupational therapist visit pre-surgery to help with prepping the house but that wasn't on offer.

I also did a lot of practicing getting up and down with one leg stuck out!

Last edited by a moderator:
@doopy Yay! You made it home. I understand about the low sofas and chairs. I put a big firm pillow in my recliner and it was most helpful for boosting me up. Also, I found the perfect height bed in my house and then measured the sofa futon and added the perfect mattress height on top of it so I wouldn't be too low or too high. You see the sofa is directly across from bathroom with the 4 inch raised toilet seat. Also this bathroom could fit shower chair outside of tub since others shower there too! For some reason not everyone wants to sit in the shower! I love it! At 3 weeks post op I still love it!

I have 3 cats and they all adore to sit in my lap but not all at once. I made a plan that for the first few weeks I would put a pillow on my lap so they would not jump up. After that when I put a blanket on my lap they know they can sit there. I always direct them off of healed incision site! And direct them to opposite side.

Have you attached something with a pocket you can add to your crutches? Then you can carry cell phone or ice packs or anything you need by your side without asking for help. I put the apron w pockets on my walker and put coffee in a closed thermos cup. I put soup in it as well. This saved me many steps. BSC known as bedside commode seems like best option for you. At least for a while.

I understand your tears! We all go through it. Like a right of passage. Everything seems like it takes so much energy because IT DOES! Oh my goodness! Yes! Everyday gets a little bit better I promise. Recovery from surgery is not a sprint it is a marathon! Sounds like hubby is doing his best! Remind him that you will be there for him
Someday when he needs it.

Hi All!
Ok, it's 4.10am, & here's my poser to if there's anyone who has solved this, or knows if there's a PT- type method to get this done:
So, it's 4am, get up to go to the loo & for a little walk to stretch the legs (never thought I'd hear myself saying that!!), come back to giant squashy bed (2 mattresses in order to make it high enough to get on/off) but can't work out how to get those pillows back under my lower legs for lumbar support (give me back my hospital bed!!).
I'm 8th day post-op, virtually pain-free when careful, but obviously stiff & cant fling my legs up onto bed. I use a slide sheet to help move across the bed, & a leg-lifter for when legs don't quite make it up there. All this is still a bit tough, but I just don't see how to get the pillows back under my calves - if I do it before I get into bed it's too high to get my legs up onto it, or once back in bed I can't bend enough (either legs or back, + wary of the 90% bit pain-wise) to get the pillows under. I'd like to draw a cartoon of this...!

Any advice welcome, guys!
:what:

You don't need to draw a cartoon @doopy - I'm right there with you. It was one of my difficulties too and involved a lot of huffing and puffing to get a small squashy cushion (rather than a pillow, because I found that even a slight elevation helped) under my knees, as opposed to my calves.

My preferred resting position was pillows bulked up behind my back and lumbar area, then the slight elevation under my knees. Some find a rolled towel in the area is adequate to make a difference. Give it a try. Alternatively I wonder if the leg lifter would work for that final manoeuvre? It's those stiff muscles that don't want to cooperate. If it's any consolation I think you'll find that in a few days you'll manage it

:boohoo:@Miss Muffet , thanks as ever for the advice - I'm giving it a go right now.
And I'm so grateful for finding some of your very early posts re the emotional side & how Mr M coped.
Yesterday (Day 6) was great - I rested but settled back into home. Today, I just knew everything was going to go wrong, & boy, did it!!
A dreary morning, Mr Doopy off work for 1 day & obviously fretting like bad about his students, so not as relaxed & intuitively helpful as yesterday. Frankly, if he'd stop trying to do a Michelin star number in the kitchen, he might not end up so tired & Frazzled by the end of the day! I'd be just as happy with a good pizza & huge salad sometimes, & less chaos afterwards!
So, there he is, cooking away, when I step on some shard of glass (?!) on the floor. Agony, then rather shockingly, an awful lot of blood (not homicide level, but a sort of cupcake-size pool). I totally freaked, decided infection was at that very instant shooting up my leg to the hip & I would be done for before dinner even got served. Husband extracted glass, washed in warm salt water (as he couldnt find the antiseptic stuff, under his nose, of course) & put a plaster on, all with me wailing & sobbing like a hysterical banshee. This is one of the major frustrations - I am just totally reliant on someone for everything, & of course, nothing is ever done as I would like it (e.g. Arranging the many flowers which have been brought: I let that go, as being very non-essential) - you have to prioritise every last little wish & desire, & it is so draining.
I also am having to deal with the crisis of a 90 yr old aunt - I called her today to find she's been taken to hospital by paramedics once again after a night in the floor. The OT at A&E was asking me to do stuff - I actually got a laugh out of her when I explained that I'm THR day 7 post-op & am possibly more in need of her services at my house right now than the aunt who is safe in a ward!

Right now I'd like a short holiday from my body, returning when it's a bit better. Just wanted to post about these massive emotional lows (are there highs??), this site is so fantastic at making me feel I'm not alone or just being a pathetic wailing child!! :bawl:

But tomorrow should be better, & maybe the day after that, so it will all pass.:swim:

@SwimGirl, thanks for all the ideas - I'm working on them! When everyone mentions walkers here, are these what I might know as a walking frame? In the U.K. we don't seem to use them so much - just the 2 crutches (I HAVE to be on mine for 4 weeks - yes, sir!), & I can't balance anything on or around them. But the apron is working, & im using small bottles of water so I don't get spills. Talking of spills , I think my arms are so shaky from using the crutches that most of my meals go down my front rather than in my mouth! In a fit of gloom after eating really healthily for ages, I succumbed to a jam doughnut - who knew exploding jam could teavel so far??
Thanks for the understanding & uplifting comments - these early days are a minefield!! :thankyou:

@doopy My goodness! Such excitement at your place. First thing I would have hubby do is run vacuum cleaner for any additional pieces of glass. That way you won't repeat this same episode. He sounds like he is trying so hard to help you. Then I would tell hubby to keep meals simple for both of your sakes! We had a lot of chickens from Publix already cooked and ready to eat. Worked for me and family was fine with that. Sorry about having to use crutches. The walker is bulky but very supportive and once leg is stronger at about 2 to 3 weeks I moved over to using a cane only for support. So much easier with walker I wonder why they are not popular there?

You are going through the normal emotional transition that we all do my dear! When you have to depend on others it can be so frustrating. I had RTHR on Sept 1st. By 4 weeks was driving and at 8 weeks I was back to square 1 when I had LTHR. Talk about starting all over. So it really seems like I have been in this same place a very long time! When is your next visit back to OS? Write down all your questions even about how to do this or that with your restrictions. They will have suggestions.

@doopy - oh those down days. It just feels like everything is conspiring against you. Ahhggh you stood on glass. Where did that come from? Why no footwear? Not lecturing just concerned you understand. We all get where you're coming from as regards being dependent on someone else for your needs, especially when we're usually so self-reliant. It's just sheer frustration isn't it. I also wonder if the blood thinners made it seem more of a suprise in terms of quantity of blood loss, which would have added to your anxiety.

You'll see I had the same problem with get well flowers - but, yes, you're right prioritise what's important. That's a killer for us perfectionists isn't it!

Sorry to hear about Auntie in hospital - don't need these extra crises - and hope she'll be ok, but as you say, at least she's safe in hospital, just concentrate on yourself now.

Re walkers - these are what we refer to as Zimmers over here, or walking frames @SwimGirl. We initially use them to "find our feet" for the first couple of days immediately after surgery but are generally discharged from hospital on crutches (they're much meaner to us) which we use until we gravitate to a single crutch then a cane (or stick as we call them). I'm not sure about the thinking behind it (whether it is to teach us to walk more upright from the outset, rather than leaning?) but I have found this to be ok for both my recoveries. Just different medical thinking and approaches I suppose.

Incidentally I quite agree about keeping things simple in the kitchen. We don't necessarily need to be impressed, just fed! My husband is seriously colour blind (honestly, no joke) and keen to keep up my protein and veg levels, which is all fine. My Sunday evening chicken meal included 6 green vegetables - kale, leeks, cabbage, broccoli, broad beans, and leeks (he swears they're white, but they've got green tops). Not the most colourful plate but I guess I'll end up like Popeye with all that iron inside me.

You will find that the frustration of needing help coupled with your desire to be right back to normal immediately is a tricky one to grapple with. As you say, it will pass - and in the meantime come back here and vent. Whatever your problems chances are someone else will have encountered them. We may have suggestions, and if not then we all have shoulders.

@doopy Sounds like a severe case of post op blues! I remember it well! Nothing worked and everything was major effort. This too shall pass! You are right to keep things simple for now. Still early days!

@Miss Muffet @Jaycey @Tweetybrd @SwimGirl ,
:loveshwr: Thanks guys - I love you all!! Such wonderful friends across this big globe of ours, all sharing common tough stuff!
Of course, after all that, today was a great day. For the first time post-op yesterday I had had pain for 24 hours, starting on the top of my foot & spreading up to the muscles above the knee & into the hip. Neither the basic OTC meds touched it, & I got the TED on that leg removed for the night. Every time I stood or walked, it disappeared, then suddenly it just went! Odd! Maybe nerves (or other bits) reconnecting??
So today was good! No fallout from the glass episode (yet! Touch wood!), & husband returned to work (phew!) and his mum came to take care of me & the cat. Actually far less stressful - I explained about how nothing was quite as it should be in the house, which was challenging my inner control-freak & she totally got it. Obviously just a girl thing!
The aunt stuff continued, but I just dealt with it, doing what I could & letting the rest pass - as was said, she's safe in hospital! And durr! - of course - blood thinners accounted for the torrential foot!
So today a happy bunny, even if one who discovered you just can't empty a dishwasher easily on crutches!! There's going to be more glass on that floor soon!
Take care everyone, and thanks so much for being there.
:console2:

PS: meant to add, not a walker in sight in the hospital I was in, for patients of any age! When my friend asked a physio if she should lend me one, the PT almost visibly shuddered!
:yikes:

Crutches, ugh, haven't seen them used either, walker to s cane seems the norm in Seattle!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Thanks to all who recommended the use of an apron to help carry stuff! Excellent tip! I feel like Kanga in Winnie the Pooh, bounding all over the house with stuff hidden in my pouch!
Except that when I went to bed and emptied it I was confronted by all sorts of mysteries - "now what on earth did I want THAT for??!"

:what:

@gertie @sinijoma ,
Hi, yes, isn't it weird how many different approaches there are?? I know my surgeon has different views on stuff such as the 90% rule (doesn't believe in it) & sleeping positions.
Best just to do what you are told so you don't get into trouble if you encounter any problems. I'm following "official" advice to the letter, but bet I'll be far more blasé next time round!

@doopy Ah, that pesky 90 degree rule. My surgeon doesn't really believe in it either but the rest of the practice he's in does so I get very mixed messages and have been obeying the rule just to be safe. Seems like this is as much an art form as a science.

Hi there,
Just wanted to throw a couple of questions out there, in need of a little gentle reassurance!
I'm Day 11 post-op LTHR, and doing well (I guess). I think I may have been lucky because the only pain meds I've used (even immediately after surgery in hospital) have been 2 paracetamol & 400mg Ibuprofen every 8 hours. Any pain is only after movement, but last night I felt (and heard!) a couple of clicks (exactly the sort you get in every joint, normally) deep in the groin of the operated hip, & a v slight twinge. Today the groin pain is a bit more noticeable and "twingy" when I walk (always on crutches, as told to by surgeon) - I've read up all I can on this site & it sounds like this may be nothing to worry about.

So is it right to think that things will move about in there, & pain may vary? I confess I still haven't iced, because frankly I never really felt any pain & there's no visible swelling. I'm elevating in a recliner, though!! And I plan to continue on the pain meds regime in order not to let any pain set in at all.

I was trying to potter about in the kitchen last night, battling with emptying the dishwasher, cat feeding etc, & found it all monumentally difficult balancing on crutches. My first PT appt isn't till next week, so I don't have anyone to check with.

Thanks to you all!!:good-bad:ps: this is how my week has been - one day good, the next rubbish - up & down!!

Also reminds me of the mantra I have to repeat out loud every time I tackle the stairs: "Good leg up to heaven, BAD leg down to hell"!!! ;Makes me think of people saying "BAD dog!" - BAD leg! :curtsey:

So is it right to think that things will move about in there, & pain may vary?
Many new hippies comment on a clunking feeling in the joint post op. This feeling usually just fades away. Soft tissues and muscles firm up around the joint again.

Pain levels will be up and down as you get more mobile. Take your meds as prescribed around the clock for now. The trick is to stay ahead of the pain.
battling with emptying the dishwasher
I have no idea how you are doing this on crutches. Please be very careful. You do not want a fall!
cat feeding
I had cat bowls with a cut out in the front. My grabber fit perfectly into that area so I could lift and lower the bowls without spilling. Cats weren't delighted by the grabber but they got used to it.

@Jaycey , thanks for that, it helps a lot!

Yes, dishwasher is a ridiculous challenge - because, unlike the washing machine where it doesn't matter if you drop an item, any false move result in either spillages or breakages (not of bones, I hope!).

I've tried the grabber with some v lightweight cat bowls & he thinks it's a great game! Ditto my leg lifter, which puss is certain is there just for his entertainment! He is, however, petrified of the crutches coming towards him!

And yes, I guess the more I move - both walking & other more awkward movements, the more pain I might stir up. It's all v complicated, isn't it?? Plus having the post-op blues every now and again as a result of the utter frustration...

Something I hadn't expected was the brain fog: even though I'm not on any meds which I wasn't taking in bucket loads pre-op to deal with the OA aches, I can't concentrate on anything at all. For me, it's to do with the fact that I know that I need to think about & plan almost every move - no movements are natural at the moment - I'm always guarding against doing myself any damage or causing myself pain. Years ago, I (along with several colleagues all working in a boarding school) picked up labyrinthitis, totally upsetting my balance for 3 months - I got no treatment, and on reading up on it discovered that the brain is so consumed with trying to make sense of your orientation & keeping you stable that loads of other stuff, like speech, can just fall off the edge. I started to stammer on some words & be unable to find others - for the first time ever, & my theory is that just trying to move all those complicated joints & muscles postop has the same effect. Anyone else feel the same??

Thanks for listening & advice !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean
Recent bookmarks
Back