TKR Unwanted... But much Kneedead TKR

I'm like you Chrissie find elevation very uncomfortable and rarely do it - spoke to my doctor today about it and he said unless your feet are higher than your heart it not worth doing and as long as you keep your feet moving and walking the blood will flow he did stipulate the importance of icing thou he suggested that I should only elevate lying in bed and like Jockette says with a slight bend in the knee xx
I was pleasantly surprised at physio it was very relaxed so hopefully for you it will be too :)
 
Another way I define “elevating” is, feet off the floor. Early on the “toes above the nose” or above the heart is ideal, to help move the swelling fluid through and out of your system.

I used my wedge only when I was in bed. Out of bed, and when not up and about, I was on the couch with my feet on an ottoman. The ottoman was just a little lower than the couch. Definitely not the ideal elevation, but at least my feet were far from the floor.It was many months before I could sit comfortably with my feet on the floor without discomfort.
 
@Hoppy Nanny I'm still using the 3 pillows staggered at night in my bed. As I have healed some, I do periodically find a pillow on the floor because I've moved quite a bit that night...other nights I just lay with my leg elevated and don't move at all! I think that's my sleep of the dead! :sleep: I elevate with an ottoman and a pillow when I can and it has worked for me!

How did PT go? I hope it is gentle and helpful! I'm sure you know what to do if they start pushing though! Never let them hurt you, is all over this forum. Best of luck!
 
Well ..Progressed for sofa to sitting on Recliner chair with stool!! I’m so chuffed to have a change of scenery!

Slept ok until 6am... no pain but stiff... got up walked around... made myself coffee... sat on upright tub chair with knee bent until it got just to painful...went upstairs to wash down & get ready & now in above mentioned chair.

Only taking 8 paracetamol per day & 2 codeine at night & pain levels ok..
The only really bad pain is sitting with knee bent & doing exercises..

It’s pouring with rain so won’t be having a walk outside.... have to do more circuits around the house.

Looking forward to getting staples out on Monday.

All in all...think I’m doing ok .. let’s see what
next week brings! Hoping to be able to do some small chores around the house as apparently men can’t see dust or spiders webs lurking in corners... but I can :badspidy:!!!

My doggies have only jumped up occasionally & it doesn’t seem to bother the knee... they are good company.. bless them...
 
Straight legged was extremely painful for the first few months for me. I used the foam leg elevator that Jockette posted right off the bat and then for at least 3 months when I had swelling. I had one in my bed and on my recliner.
 
Isn’t it weird how all these knees are different!!!
Before my op had ok bend but couldn’t straighten .. now it’s the reverse :heehee:
 
Sounds like you are doing really well!

I have one of the big elevation pillows. With my first knee, it was almost 2 weeks before I could stand to have my leg bent that high. With the second knee, it was only a few days. But my second knee took great exception to sitting upright in a proper chair for more than a few minutes, and that lasted at least a month. It's all normal, and every leg is a diva in her own way! lol
 
Diva knees! That made me laugh! Yes, this Diva doesn’t want to sit in a chair without throwing a tantrum!!
Thanks luvcats .. nice to know it’s normal!! xxx
 
Best nights sleep since coming home... It was sooo lovely!!! Slept all through from 10.45pm to 7.15 am....Bliss!!

Been up .. did some small chores, dusting & polishing, picking up dog toys (with grabber), put stuff away & washed & dressed..wiped sink units down. Felt good to be a little useful.. only using one crutch around the house... pain under control for the most part!

So... I’m a happy ‘ish’ bunny .... so far not been as bad as my mind had led me to believe.. Pain, yes, of course... not too intense... walking fab... sitting.. not fab.. laying down ... great! I know it’s early days ... but glad to get 2nd week over!!

Hope everyone has a good weekend xxx
 
Wonderful report @Hoppy Nanny Sounds like you are well on your way! So happy you managed a good nights sleep. Hoping things are even better after week three. ❤️ :loveshwr:
 
Thanks Sarah @Fit4Family
I’m trying to find everyone on this new forum & struggling... my heads somewhere else!!

Thanks so much for your thoughts... First outing today... managed to walk halfway to my beloved beach (quarter of a mile)... my hubby pushed me rest of way in wheelchair... it was fabulous... popping around to my sis for lunch today.... see how long I can manage to sit for!
Do hope all is well with you darling.... I’m trying to find you .. :headbang:

EADE7F19-BF54-4510-8B07-5B2DB43D8CB6.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well look at You!!! :yay: :loveshwr::yes!:

For so early on, that is great! You do sound like you are moving along faster than I was at 2 weeks! I hope you enjoy the rest of this weekend!
 
Hi @Hoppy Nanny :wave: So happy to see your beautiful self sitting in the sunshine as if you didn't have surgery 2 weeks ago! It sounds like you have already turned a couple of corners....keep up the great work, my friend! PS I have the same shoes/sneakers! Like minds.... :curtsey:
 
HI @Hoppy Nanny :wave: You sound Mah-velous!! Walking to your beach, meeting family for lunch and looking so healthy and pretty in your picture.
I am so happy for you, it seems to be going very well. I find it very interesting about the sitting/bending vs straightening.
Here's to the beginning of week 3!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom