THR Unable to balance on operated leg.

Hi Fudge! That is quite a story and I hope things are still getting better for you. Thanks for your encouraging messages.

It is too early for me to say how I will be getting on as only 5 weeks in. Physio has me doing that swaying from side to side momvrment to transfer weight and also the back and forward rocking momvrment to increase balance on the left operated leg.
My bum muscles are now much better than they were and I continually tighten and release in bed! Even when typing this!

Stairs are ok. The other day I accidentally let go of my crutch and it fell to the bottom of the stairs. Using the bannister I very carefully and slowly got down so was quite pleased. My husband was horrified when I told him.

Thanks especially about your advice early in re ore op excersices. I did a lot of getting out of chairs using legs rather than arms to push and this has really helped, as has the weights exercises to strengthen arm muscles prio to using crutches.

I do have persistent pain at the top of my thought which is made worse after walking so will get advice on that.

Glad you are climbing again and best of luck to you thst it all gets sorted
 
:hi: @Fudge
I was so happy to see your name up on the forum this morning and can't believe it has been a year.
It sounds like you have truly had to do alot of work to get where you are with your recovery today.
I wish it could gone easier for you.
I'm going to make an appt. with the doc to see if there is a possibility of being referred for nerve conduction studies as I am beginning to think the femoral nerve might have sustained some trauma as the toes have been numb since the op and the calf muscle discomfort has followed on from that
Please let us know if you are able to get this done.

I'm glad you popped by friend. And glad you didn't get rid of sports car!:wink:
 
Hi Fudge, so very nice to hear from you. Happy One Year Anniversary!
We had our THR's within a couple months of one another. I found it amazing how fast that first year blew by, I'll bet you agree. It sounds like you're doing well.

Wondering if you've ever tried heel-toe walking for the limp? If not, please consider giving it a try. It takes some concentration if you're not used to it. Let your heel strike the ground first, followed by toes.

I'm sorry you're dealing with the numbness. I think you're wise in pursuing the cause rather than just accepting it as collateral damage from your THR. Please let us know if you engage in any nerve conduction studies and what you learn. I'm hoping you determine the cause and a way to reverse it all.

Best wishes moving into year two! Stay in touch.
@Fudge
 
Hi @Fudge - I read through your story and it sounds similar to mine. I was wondering, did they find anything on the MRI? I had an ultrasound last week and the doctor thinks there is a tear in the glute medius, but there is so much fluid in my thigh, he couldn't be certain. I have an appointment tomorrow with an orthopedic surgeon to get his opinion. I'm hoping he will order an MRI.

I am happy to hear that you are progressing! I hope you can get the nerve study done to find out the reason for your numbness.
 
Hi everyone
Will be in Turkey next Monday for 2 lovely weeks,got a villa with swimming pool so will be in that every day,also doing walking and sailing. Normally go IN June but wasn't sure if I was going to be walking,way back in January when we booked. Funny to think it all started in Turkey last year where I went to see a surgeon,got xrays and mri,all for 850 pounds which told me of the cause of all the pain. Best money I spent last year, I think.
Will keep concentrating on heel toe walking and am also pushing walking on tip toes as it is quite difficult for me to do,it will also be useful for climbing.
Thankfully now back at work,ahem, catching up with emails.
Thank you all for your continuing support,it has been awesome. Good luck to you all, keep pushing for mobility and never even think of giving up.
 
Turkey, how exciting!
A nice way to celebrate one full year with your new hip.
Travel safely and enjoy! Give us an update when you return, maybe even a pic.
Would love to hear about your vacay and how well you new hip held out.
@Fudge
 
Have a wonderful time, Fudge!
One year! My, time flies when we are having fun:heehee:
Take care and have a safe vacation.:SUNsmile:
 
Hi everyone,
Am at work and it is quiet,amazing! So am catching up......
The leg saga continues.........
Am seeing the consultant next month as the GP thinks I might have complex regional pain syndrome. I went to see her because my right calf muscle has atrophied and the whole lower leg is distinctly smaller than the other one. It is also noticeably cooler than the left leg. I put off going to the doc because there was such a mixed bag of things wrong with the leg, that I felt she would think me a complete nutcase. Numb toes, a feeling that there was a very tight gaiter around my leg knee to ankle, very stiff ankle and knee joint, very sensitive to the slightest touch, a feeling that lower leg wasn't attached........it goes on and it does sound completely crackers. There is pain, maneagable but it hurts more after walking and climbing. Climbing is a problem as there is so little strength in that part, I can't yet walk on tip toes or balance on the right leg on tip toes. I need to be able to do this as it helps you reach things when climbing.....
Fortunately the doc didn't feel I was ready for the lunatic asylum, referred me to a consultant and told me to go and research CRPS, which I did. So am now waiting for the appt. I'm still walking, climbing a bit, gym etc because this is NOT going to beat me. I still have a smallish limp but I can now balance on either leg!!! But not on tip toes! Still wobbly on uneven surfaces but have ditched crutches and cane.
So I think my message to anyone struggling, is to keep your head down and keep pushing, just refuse to give up and believe you can do it.
Good luck everyone.
 
Fudge!:wave: and :wave: again!
So glad you popped in for an update.
I certainly have thought of you and am glad you are still fighting the good fight...
I'm glad your surgeon was respectful and you felt like you were heard so you can see what options are available to you regarding the crps.
I'm sure you have sought out all you can on the subject but if you hit in this hashtag it brings you to some if our experiences with it on the forum. #crps

So I think my message to anyone struggling,is to keep your head down and keep pushing,just refuse to give up and believe you can do it
Thanks for encouraging those still struggling! You will find a way, I know...tough lady you are!
 
This is an update to all the trials and tribulations following the hip replacement op back in Aug 2017.
After many MRIs of skull, spine and pelvis, nerve conduction studies, yet more physio l have now almost reached the end of my hip experience.
I am having yet another round of physio but a couple of weeks ago l saw the chief neuro consultant. Very informative....the bad news is l have a partially crushed sciatic nerve and how ever much money that could be thrown at the problem, it is the end of the road for that solution. The doc feels after all this time improvements are not going to happen.
So it's off to the neuro physics to see what they can do. What is on offer is to try to strengthen the leg by building up the muscles more. I had never heard of neuro physios but apparently they often work with stroke patients.
I am v disappointed as this kind of damage according to UK research occurs at the rate of less than one percent up to about three per cent in hip surgery. I really did not want to join this elite group!
The effects of this damage has finally resolved into 3 numb toes including the great toe, unable to walk on tip toes, unable to balance on affected leg for more than 5 seconds, numbness extending from knee to ankle, unable to walk safely on rough ground....l think that's enough to be going on with...!

What am l going to do next...well, after reading some research on induced sciatic nerve crush injuries post hip op, on rats(!), it appears oil of primrose helped healing, but it was given v quickly after the event so maybe that's worth investigating further, although 30 odd months later is probably rather ambitious. Someone suggested acupuncture, which might help. But the main thrust now is to keep going trying to strengthen the leg. My feeling is that's my best option.
I hope everyone else is on the mend and are working towards full recoveries, good luck and keep pushing toward those goals. I truly believe that if l hadn't been so determined l would not be as mobile as l am.
 
:hi: @Fudge
I was glad to see you on the forum but hated to hear you are still struggling and chasing a solution to this ongoing complication.
I am v disappointed as this kind of damage according to UK research occurs at the rate of less than one percent up to about three per cent in hip surgery. I really did not want to join this elite group!
:sad: I can only imagine.

Were they able to determine at exactly what point the sciatic nerve was damaged?

I'm guessing they confirmed it was a result of surgery?

I really want to send all my best wishes and hope that maybe the neuro therapy can help.
I remember being unintentionally flippant about your balance issues early on...and hope you know that I would never hope to be dismissive of concerns.
There are so many temporary issues that result from this surgery....
Sincerest regards...
 
@Fudge, I also had no idea there was such a thing as a neuro therapist. I was sent to one a couple of months ago because I was having dizziness and my eyes were making jerky movements that are sometimes related to vertigo. The person I saw was wonderful! He does primarily work with stroke patients and people who are recovering from having brain tumors removed. But he actually correctly figured out that I didn't have vertigo, but a "positional" problem that was likely caused by a compressed nerve. He helped me "retrain" my body to receive the neurological responses correctly again. It's not perfect, but it is greatly improved. I hope your experience is as good as mine was. These people have specialized therapy training that is amazing.
 
Hi Mojo and Jamie
Many thanks for your replies/interest. The neuro doc didn't say where it was crushed precisely but it was affecting the peroneal nerve. I have lost the ankle jerk reflex as well. Nobody has said directly it was due to the OP,but to me it is obvious. However l just want to get as much functionality in it as possible, chasing the NHS for negligence is not l want to do, l just want as much help as poss to get my life back. Mojo,don't worry about comments, l had forgotten anyway,so l have no issues there. Xxx
Jamie, l think in my previous post I referred to neuro physics but obviously l meant neuro physics. If they are as good as you experienced l might be running soon and that would be amazing and nothing short of a miracle!
I will update when l have checked out neuro guys and tell you the results.
Many thanks for this forum, it has allowed me to get loads of stuff of my chest and has really helped.
 
:wave:Best of luck to you, Fudge.
We‘re rooting for you and pray you find some relief through next steps.
Please keep us updated.
@Fudge
 
Hi all,
Now over three and a half years post op. The good news is I can now walk with a very slight limp on the flat. Rough ground or running is probably never going to be achievable to any great extent, unless very slowly. Going upstairs is not to bad, I am trying to go up 2 steps at a time to help strengthen the knees. The neuro physio said as the lower leg wasn't going to improve, so to concentrate on the knee strength. Coming down stairs is not the most speedy performance and for safety I now have to use the banisters.
With Covid I haven't been able to access the physios or the gym, but hopefully those activities will come on stream again. I am hoping to get back climbing regularly in the summer. It won't look very elegant but as I really enjoy it, I really don't care!
Hoping everyone else is improving. It does happen but from my experience, if you have problems, it really helps to make it your obsession to improve and let nothing get in your way to achieve just that.
Good luck all.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom