THR Unable to balance on operated leg.

I had a talk with my PT today and he said he has seen it take up to 6 months to be able to put full weight on the operated leg and thus to walk without a cane. When you are on the operated leg, the body is taking double your weight (that is if you weigh 150, when you are on the operated leg, it is taking 300#s). I am 10 weeks post and on the cane. PT didn't think that was abnormal. I know you are more like 4 months out, but take courage (and ask, of course) We heal at different rates. Good luck - to both of us.
 
I certainly did not mean to make light of your situation @Fudge. I misunderstood the nature of your concerns.
I was flashing back to some of my PT moments where I was overly concerned about things they were trying to have me achieve early on that weren't really causing me any difficulty and had subsequently improved.
Certainly you need to see about your balance if it's seriously effecting your ability to walk. Didn't mean to make your concerns seem trivial:console2:
Hope today is a Good Day!
 
Hi all,
Good and bad news
Bad is the physio I saw at noon immediately said she thought the hip abductors were torn and a grade 3 weakness. The hopefully good news is that I saw the surgeon who read the note the physio had kindly done for me and said,with no messing about,to have an ultrasound and what he called a contrast mri. I asked if that was a mars mri and he said yes. So he's got of the paperwork to book the diagnostics and said he wouldn't be doing it, they have a specialist who comes in for revision stuff. But he wanted the scans to ascertain precisely the problem and plan with number22 surgeon what has to be done. I'm not sure of the success rate but it can't be worse than what I'm experiencing if unsuccessful. He said I might have to ear a brace but he needs to get the results so he can talk with more knowledge. He wasn't sure how or why it happened, but to be frank,l just don't care, I just want to walk unaided and then work hard to make sure it is as successful as possible. That's the best thing for me to focus on.
So there we have it... I am really pleased I did not have to beg...... But it seems surgery,if that's possible, is available in 2 to 3 months which could be brilliant....
Good luck to all......
 
Hello @Fudge so please that action is being taken to address your problem. Hope you’re able to have the scans soon so the way forward can be planned. Hopefully you’ll soon be able to walk unaided
 
Hey @Fudge , I'm sorry to hear you are still struggling to balance on the operated leg , I know how frustrating it can be as I was in a similar situation. I had my thr on August 28 , just before you , and I struggled to balance up to about 3 weeks ago. I can balance now ,but im still experiencing knee pain and thigh pain when I'm on my feet for long periods. I'm back at work since yesterday, 6 hours a day , but I'm struggling a little bit as I'm on my feet a lot. I can only offer words of encouragement, and hopefully you will get there eventually.
 
Thank you for the continued support.....i have had some grim moments recently with all this and without everyone's info and support ,life would definitely been grimmer.......so a mega thank you.
Have checked into MRI and it seems not to be a mar mri, but one where you are given a contrast dye....hope I don't have a reaction to it......saw that when I was a student nurse.
I am feeling much better, excema has now been diagnosed as pompholyx type eczema.,,,. So stronger betnovate and an antibac liquid soap coming up.
It's first for me.....seeing 3 different types of health care professionals in 6 hours. I know the nhs takes a lot of flack but for me,today, they have all delivered.....
Good luck to everyone fighting their own battles and the others who have got there,one day maybe we will all be in that happy situation in 2018.
From a very grateful Fudge!
 
Glad you at least have the process starting @Fudge. While it may mean more surgery, it also means you did a very good job knowing something wasn’t right. I agree that it isn’t really important why it happened-sometimes it is impossible to answer. Our bodies often get side damage as we struggle with hips.

Good luck getting test scheduled and getting a plan. Take care of yourself.
 
Aww Fudge, I'm sorry for your struggles. You've been through a lot and still maintain
a grateful heart. Hopefully you're on the right path and you'll soon have answers and
be able to move forward in recovery.
Prayers for brighter days soon...
@Fudge
 
Oh my stars! So glad you know what is going on (makes me even more sorry about possibly sounding ambivalent)
Hope the MRI went without complications.
Thinking of you and hoping things ease for you soon!
 
seeing 3 different types of health care professionals in 6 hours
Impressive! And for those outside the UK, Fudge didn't need to get out her wallet once today!

Glad you are starting to get the treatment you need my friend. Tricky these days!
 
Hurrah!
Saw the physio,the 6th one in fact. She wasn't the one I should have seen. My Friday appt had been cancelled because of sickness,so when I phoned in to reschedule,I asked for one who had a particular interest in athritis....... So, she said,tell me what's happened, got me on the couch,requested a leg raise and a couple of other movements. She then said she strongly felt I had a tear in one of the abductor group. I cried, I'm ashamed to say. It was relief that some one else thought something was wrong,it was fear it might not be repaired and I was stuck like this...
So I told her I was seeing the surgeon in a couple of hour's time. Great she said,let's do a letter. So we sat and composed the letter.


Jump forward, I had fears the guy would ignore the information, that repairs weren't done etc etc. The surgeon said okay,let' organise mri and ultra sound. He told me they got in a specialist repair guy from Bath for this kind of stuff. Surgery might not be the answer and fix it, might have to wear a brace,but I can't be worse than I am. He told me all the downsides but he has to do this,but he said it can work as well. He and the repair guy would have to look at scans and see what could be possible.
To my surprise, the next day,in the post I got notification of the 2 scans, they're on the 26th January....about 3 weeks ahead...!
I phoned the physio on Thursday as requested to tell her the outcome of the surgeon appt. She was v pleased,told me to go back on 2 crutches and start working on getting my unbalanced pelvis straight. So I have got an appt with her on the 24th January to look at gait etc. The surgeon had said walk with whatever feels safest and not to fall over....

So, it could be another round of surgery......do I care? Heck,no! If I can walk again, it will be a miracle.......able to go back to work,walk, maybe even climb and if I can't do that,at least I can go to the kids climbing club and help........must try not to get to excited.... have to see what transpires.
 
Have made the decision to SORN my little car. It is currently in dry storage but I kept the road tax and insurance going. But I feel it is going to be a while before I can fold up to get in it. If I get another bout of surgery,I cannot compromise it by levering myself into it.
On the plus side,went to the climbing club yesterday, not to torment myself but to see the kids enjoying themselves,scrambling up the walls. They love it and the best thing is my granddaughter turns 5 in February so I can take her along and get her into it. A bonus to not working.......!
It would be really nice to have a meet up day with all the kind people who have helped me, unfortunately I know some of you folks are not in the UK but it would be so fun to meet the real people behind the posts..... I am in the south west but London is very central and accessible. Maybe a disco is a step to far, it might have to be a little more sedate than that!
Now off to take down Xmas decorations, late this year.....have told husband he can do the outside lights....... I'm playing safe and doing the tree......
 
Hi @Fudge. Changing car may not be a bad idea. I have a suv and it is much easier for me to get in and out of. When my hip was going bad sedans were killer. I can manage them now, but right hip makes them trickier. Changing to what can increase your mobility is a smart thing to do.
 
Agree with MammaT. I can't afford to change cars right now, but my Toyota Corolla with its bucket seats not comfy after fifteen minute ride.
My sisters small SUV is much easier for me to ride in...
 
My brain is saying change the car, but I am able to access others in the long term. It is low,mx5, I have no problem with the height ,it's just folding my leg up to get in. It's just that I have had a sports convertible most of my life and I am grimly trying to hang onto it and possibly my youth!I
I think it is called cognitive dissonance when you know something is not right but you still want it...i guess it's like smoking......
I do like small cars...easier to park is the main reason. My heart is saying keep it for 6 months and see where I am after that...but I will talk to the surgeon when I next see him and if he says there is no chance or even with time it is not advised I will have to look for something else......
But at the moment ,my dream is still there. My brother has a Merc convertible...which is ok to get into,but he also has loads of money! Not one of my problems unfortunately !
Changing the subject somewhat, the surgeon did say I might have to wear a brace.....we didn't talk about that in any detail.....so has anyone had any experience of these devices....do they go over or under clothes?....do you shower with them? I know absolutely nothing so any info,gratefully received
 
Several years ago my friend had an abductor tear and wore brace similar to this for 6 weeks. Under her clothes.
Don't know if this would be kind they would suggest.
[Bonesmart.org] Unable to balance on operated leg.
 
Hmmmm.....loving it.....groovy colour......nice under skinny jeans.....ho ho! Upside,it does look warm.....good in this freezing weather...
 
Perfect lemons to lemonade response. Hope it's not too aggravating!:umm:
 
Hope you are hanging in there Fudge.
Just wondering if they have you set up for a brace or when you will get clarification on the protocol going forward.
Thinking of you today!:friends:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom