THR Unable to balance on operated leg.

Hi all and Krista and Mojo as well
Have taken a break up in London for a change of scenery mainly. Getting very bored,no gym or swimming,physio latest advice is to do pre op exercises only and keep going on the 2 crutches. Mri and ultrasound on 26th,so will have to go back for that. Also giving long suffering husband a break,he so deserves more than medals for putting up with me. I am not at my best being incapacitated like this.....poor man. So my new job is to keep myself sane,nearly went to Brighton on Saturday but decided it would probably not be the best idea......the shopping is brilliant there,so many little independent shops to see.
So that's it for the moment, the operated leg still hurts but on the plus side I managed to sleep on my unoperated side for over an hour last night and it was on the ehob mattress,so really pleased about that. Had to keep a mega sized pillow between my knees as they are bony and uncomfortable at the best of times.
Tomorrow going out with a friend for coffee locally which will be fun and I guess I am going to have to start knitting again....
Thanks for all the support you kind people have given,it is much appreciated!
 
Oh Fudge. So good to hear an update. Yes, my better half earned major brownie points for being there when I most needed him. Not fun to feel like roles are reversed and we have to be so needy...but I'm glad you are sounding so positive.
Please take care of yourself and let us know how imaging comes out.:wave:
 
It's terrific that you will be getting an MRI and an ultrasound! Your physician seems to be taking your disability and pain more seriously. Sounds like you are doing lots of good things for yourself during the waiting. Looking forward to hearing the results!
 
Hi Fudge. Hope all is well with you...just saw post about ehob mattress. Never really saw one until I looked up after seeing your post. My tail bone still bothers me at night. I want one!
Thanks for the post, might be really helpful to others also.
Hope you have a better day.
 
Can't wait, scans next Friday, only 8 days away ! A good piece of news is that I can finally sleep on my side for a few hours at night,which is brilliant. Still have the pressure relieving mattress on the bed and am going to stick with it as I think I will probably need more surgery on hip muscles..... more lying on the back....worse luck.
Unfortunately excema is now not just on the feet but also on the palms of hands,think it might partly be the plastic handles on the crutches, so I might cover them with something non slip and non plastic.....
Hope everyone is moving on with their hip experiences.....it is so curious how everyone seems to have a very different experience,but I guess there are so many variables involved that differing outcomes are inevitable.
 
I got some pads to put on crutches (and for walker). They are covered with material, much easier on hands. Amazon under assistive devices. Could also choose variety of colors. I went for purple. Might as well dress up the stuff if we have to use it.
 
Think that might be a good idea,@Mamma T, will think about what material,have to attach it really firmly so it doesn't slip about.... purple.....mmmm..... could be an idea! Maybe have a variety so I can be colour co ordinates,which will be a first...
 
They have Velcro strips that keep them in place.
 
Aaah! Side sleeping, it was a heavenly moment when I lost the fear and managed it.
I gradually increased time spent on my side. I now comfortably fall asleep on my op side nightly.

As for the crutches if you don't want to spend the money, you could use washcloths in the desired thickness, old blanket pieces etc in an effort to avoid plastic.

Best wishes as you continue to heal!
@Fudge
 
Ace bandages work well also - and can put washcloth or blanket pieces underneath if you want more padding.
 
Many thanks for all the crutch solutions,have covered them in cotton gloves at present to help stop my hands itching.
So, I went and had the mri scan,as painful as the first one I had done,last year,but at least it was a shorter time. Then a consultant radiologist did the ultra sound thingy. The best news for me would have been him telling me he could see tears in the muscles. Unfortunately he could see nothing so he wants to look at the mri,in the next week or so. Just hope he can see something as i still cant walk and seem to be going backwards. Have got to see the physios this week,to be honest ,I really can not see the point, I have slogged away at this and made no progress at all. Now back on 2 crutches as it's better on my back. Still getting muscles spasms pretty much daily, the operated leg just still feels weird with odd pains all over the place,up the outside of my thigh,another pain that seems to wrap itself around the inner aspect of my upper thigh, pain as usual all around the rest of the limb. Now taking painkillers at night so hopefully can get off to sleep
Trying to keep my spirits up but it's not very easy at the moment.
Hope everyone else is progressing.....in the right direction ofcourse!
 
Oh, @Fudge, so sorry they couldn't see anything on ultrasound. MRIs are clearer, so I hope they can see the problems there. What a difficult situation, with all that pain in so many places, and the spasms (!!!) and the inability to walk still, and now problems with sleep. Crossing fingers for you! I remember well that feeling of hoping they would be able to identify a specific problem from the images. Just knowing your disability and the pain and locations should give them some idea of what's wrong. It's not nothing!
 
I hope they get answers from the MRI...I hate that you are struggling so.
:console2:
 
Hi @Krista and @Mojo333 et al,
Seeing the consultant a week on Monday,so going up to London for a week as husband is on a course next week and I can't shower by myself yet. Can't wait to get the mri result,if he can't see anything I will see what his suggestions are and will make a decision as to whether to get a second opinion on the scans. I'm not a malingerer,but this is probably the only occasion when I want them to find something wrong and i need a further op,sounds quite crazy really,but it might sort things out! So hoping for a nice torn muscle...or two. Apart from that I am taking it easy on physio and exercises, just concentrating on trying to balance a bit on the operated side.....not with any success yet.
Hope every one doing well and getting through the cold weather.... I'm looking forward to spring,have seen snowdrops out and crocuses are slowly sticking their heads up.... getting the patio done at the end of April,when the ground hopefully will start to dry up.
 
@Fudge, good luck at the consultant appointment, and I hope he sees something in the MRI. It's good to take it easy on the exercises, since you don't know what the problem is yet. I did occasionally try to see if my leg could hold weight, but mostly I was afraid that I would make things worse, so I didn't try very often. How nice that you have some flowers blooming! We are buried under about 10 inches of snow, no hope for crocus blossoms until maybe April.
 
Totally understand you wanting them to find something on mri. All we really want is an answer and figure out next steps.
 
Hi Fudge,
It's only natural you want answers, hanging in limbo is no fun.
Hopefully you don't need another surgery but if it will bring you relief and help you
move forward in recovery it may be your only option.
Hopefully the upcoming visit with the consultant brings you a firm diagnosis and a plan for resolution.

I'm with you on looking forward to Spring. Hopefully you're soon sitting out on your patio gazing at the lovely flowers and feeling much better. Prayers to that end.
A peaceful Sunday to you!
@Fudge
 
I also want you to be able to have some answers.
Yes, I need spring...birds, flowers and warm breezes...
Good for the soul.
Hang in there...:) :-) (:
 
Hi everyone
Am now 3 days off the 1st anniversary of the hip replacement.
So what has moved on.......well I can now walk without aids. It's not very quick and I still have the vestiges of a limp. But the good things are I am back at work and I can get into my sports car. There is no pain from the hip area which is obviously good,the bad bit is that I still have 2 numb toes,luckily not the great toe but the two next to it. I also have a numb lower leg on the operated side. This does cause pain and tightness around the calf muscle and the muscle itself has quite a degree of atrophy. I have continued with physio up to about a month ago and am now concentrating on walking and gym work. My upper leg muscles feel fine and my butt muscle is now the same size as on the non operated side. I'm going to make an appt. with the doc to see if there is a possibility of being referred for nerve conduction studies as I am beginning to think the femoral nerve might have sustained some trauma as the toes have been numb since the op and the calf muscle discomfort has followed on from that. I'll have to see what the doc thinks, but I refuse to consider this is something that nothing can be done about.
I am back climbing albeit very carefully, not because of the hip,more the weakness in my right lower leg. Descending stairs can be quite challenging although I can go up now not holding the banister rail on a good day.
I did feel at many times,that I would not walk again, but with large doses of stubbornness and determination I have actually got there,but it was an extraordinary effort. I think the thing to do is not ever give up hope, just keep expecting to get mobile and make it your life's work for the time that it takes. Also,keep using this forum as an excellent site for positive support,it certainly helped me!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom