TKR Tykey's second knee replacement

Things often improve gradually without noticing.
I'm just sat reading my book, when I realised I had a dog curled up on my knee. I never felt her climbing up. A week ago I would have hit the roof (or woof?)
 
My dogs also give me the best comfort. Warm and hard against my leg ... they seem to just know you’re in trouble. I don’t know what I’d do without them through this.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Day 11 blog

Overall progress very good, everything is a bit easier than it was yesterday. Although I don't need any crutches, I still use one just to make me walk in proper fashion.
One hiccup was that my bed time paracetamols wouldn't control the pain, so at 1 am it was back to the mantra, ie up the meds, elevate and ice, watch an hour of Judge Judy- sorted.
Really all I need to do is a bit of time travel. One week would be OK, my stitches will be out, and I can start a few short walks with the dogs.
One major step forward, At long last, I'm having that beer
 
You are doing so well for 11 days after surgery, Tykey! Not noticing dog cuddles on the knee? Almost independent of crutches except to walk properly? That's great, and so soon after surgery. And as you point out, better times are just around the corner when your stitches come out.

Sorry that your pain increased a bit but it sounds like you are doing all the right things to stop that trend. Rest (with Judge Judy!), ice, elevate, stronger pain meds, and perhaps another Jam Roly Poly, and you will be feeling less pain soon.
 
Day12 blog:

Just one of those boring days, and I'm suffering from fedupedness. I now need to try and play my dobro and lap steel guitar. This will all depend on me being able to get my leg comfortable. Wish me luck

Otherwise, steady progress.
 
I failed with my musical challenge!! Sadly I would have to lay on my back with my leg in the air☹️
I could play my ukulele, but it sounds rubbish!

So I'm even more fed up.
 
Sorry you are having a down day @Tykey ! You know this recovery is a roller coaster ride. Just hang on and roll with it!
[Bonesmart.org] Tykey's second knee replacement
 
Thanks Jaycey. When we are tired, our brains tend to work against us, so the pain goes up, and we get more fed up. It's a vicious circle isn't it.
This site, and the lovely people in it are brilliant in breaking this circle.
Feeling better already❤️
 
Awww.....Tykey. I'm sending you some good ol' American ((((HUGS)))) to help you feel better. How about some chocolate therapy. That always worked for me.
[Bonesmart.org] Tykey's second knee replacement
 
My sister in law from Wombwell has been visiting us the last 3 days and is going to send me a recipe for jam roly poly!
Despite the ups and downs, I am impressed you are up to playing your music! That is progress in itself so hang in there and remember slow and steady!
 
We know that this journey, like all journeys, is made up of big steps and little steps. Hopefully, more forward than back.
I am just sat having my first cup of coffee when I realised that both my feet were flat on the floor, side by side, I didn't even have to try. That means my bend is returning, and the swelling is decreasing. No discomfort
Yesterday, my bad leg had to be elevated all the time I was sat, due to the pain.
Now I can start very gradually moving the foot closer and closer. It'll take many days, but it's real progress. When I have my stitches out in two more sleeps, I might even be close to doing my lotus pose from yoga, or I might leave it a bit.
It could have been the chocolate therapy, but thank you for cheering me up yesterday
 
Yes! I was told custard is essential!! I will remember that!
I love reading how the small steps make such a difference to everyone! Cheers to continued small steps!
 
Hi Ricbak1, and welcome to my thread.
It's extra good to have a neighbour from South Yorkshire (God's Country). I'm in Dinnington.
If you haven't got it sorted, can I recommend you look at our local knee and hip specialists, Barlborough hospital.
Superb place in every respect.
I am in Edlington - not far from you. Had last TKR done at Park Royal Doncaster. They had a place so someone with complication took mine at Doncaster Royal. This time hoping for Barlborough. Sister had hers there and improved better than I did.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Day 15 blog:
I can't believe only 2 weeks ago at this time I was listening to my bones, muscles and ligaments being cut, sawed, hammered, concreted and stitched. Then filling my slipper with blood, and trying desperately to get the waterworks to wake up and avoid the dreaded catheter.

Overall progress has been great, it's had its downs, but far more ups.

I've now ditched even the one crutch I was using, and at least temporarily stopped the meds. Its a beautiful day, so I might see if I can go for a walk. Maybe tomorrow the dogs might come with me.
The stitches come out tomorrow, and it should be more comfortable, and I can do more exercises.
Sleeping is much better, and the blues have receded
The knee is clonking a bit, but I think that shows that the internal swelling is reducing, but more exercise will tighten it up.

Its a good day, so far.
 
Excellent news! You are making very fast progress and should be a poster child!
Let us know how you feel after stitches are out! Just don't let your sweet dog babies injure your knee! Enjoy your walks!
 
I had a really nice walk in this beautiful autumnal weather. Probably only about 300 yards. I could have gone further, but realised I had to get back home.
Maybe then going shopping was a bit bold!
Leg undamaged, very tired, but no more than my other leg.
Its amazing how quickly we become unfit when we just sit and lie about like couch potatoes.
 
I had a really nice walk in this beautiful autumnal weather. Probably only about 300 yards. I could have gone further, but realised I had to get back home.
Maybe then going shopping was a bit bold!
Leg undamaged, very tired, but no more than my other leg.
Its amazing how quickly we become unfit when we just sit and lie about like couch potatoes.
What a delightful day!

Perhaps your tiredness is at least partly due to the way TKR surgery seems to sap our strength. Or at least it did that to me; it is taking time for me to rebuild my stamina.
 
It's 3.00am and sleep is evading me again.
I keep thinking that I'm Tom Hanks in Sleepless in Seattle, except I'm in Sheffield and Meg Ryan is nowhere to be seen.

I went to bed feeling tired, and my knee was complaining a bit more, hot and achey and wouldn't settle down. I'll suffer for my boldness in the morning, I was sure

Amazingly not, because after my short sleep my knee has had a remarkable improvement. I'm pottering about the house without any real discomfort, up and down stairs taking my wife a cuppa, certainly no pain, except that the stitches area is very tight and restrictive.
The stitches only have 11 hours to live!!
Taking these out worries me, I hate this bit!!
I'm not there yet, and there may be pot holes I haven't seen yet, but the finish line is in sight.

Which reminds me of my thought for the day: Why is it, that when you nearly reach the light at the end of the tunnel, some joker turns it off? "

Thanks again for putting up with my wee small hour ramblings. Judge Judy must be on some TV channel somewhere in the world!
 
How sad that Meg can't come to your rescue! I guess you'll have to settle for BoneSmarties instead .... :heehee:. Or maybe you can find The Judge.

Glad to hear you're doing so well, Tykey. I'm truly amazed at how fast you're progressing. Well done to you AND your surgeon.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom