ConforMIS
Lounge Doctor

TKR Tykey's second knee replacement

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
I’m glad you’re feeling better. Wow, that must be some flu, if you’d rather have a knee replacement! :yikes:

Sara61

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
Stay safe at home you don't want to catch anything else in top of that flu x
All quiet here we are waiting to hear if we are being declared a state of emergency and total lockdown. Funny when you cannot do things that's when you want too, I'm fortunate I live in the country with no close neighbours so isolation isn't too much of a big deal not sure how long I'll put up with my bossy husband lol :rotfl: I can't even encourage him to go and play golf :yikes:
Stay well & safe xxx

Portugal declared "State of Emergency " lockdown begins ..
Please stay safe everyone :prayer:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tykey

Tykey

big-cheese
Right, I'm almost back in the land of the living, so maybe it's time for a bit of home grown Yorkshire philosophy.
Why do I find TKRs easy and seasonal flu a real challenge.?
With a TKR we know clearly what has been done (we can see it!), and what to do about it., thanks to Bonesmart. Its easy to get our minds in gear.
With the flu, we are attacked on all fronts at the same time, headaches, cough, pleurisy, every limb hurting, nausea, vomiting, no appetite, etc etc
It's like a scene from Rourkes Drift, where the zulus keep coming from all directions, and poor Michael Caine fights off one of them and two more appear.
I think all my metaphorical zulus have now disappeared and won't reappear.
I can now concentrate on a bit of social isolation.
Keep safe, everyone.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Glad you are feeling better @Tykey ! Strange times indeed - stay safe!

OP
OP
Tykey

Tykey

big-cheese
I am a silly Billy!
I needed to do some high level pruning. The weather has been unseasonably warm and I was inspired to get out there and do something. I'm also bored as our household has been in lock down for 42 days.
So up the ladder I went, but couldn't quite reach the last branch. I leaned over, over balanced and fell forward with feet still on the ladder.
I've now learned that new knees still don't like to bend the wrong way, which shows how strong they are.
It's a bit sore, a bit swollen and a bit uncomfortable.
Back to ADLs for a while, confident that it will soon settle down.
Note to self: buy some longer handled pruning shears

Last edited:

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Note to Tykey - why are you climbing on ladders when we are in this pandemic situation? For many people ladders = accidents. There are not enough emergency services staff to deal with accidents and Covid-19 patients. :no-fin: Lecture over.

Here's a better idea - buy yourself a telescoping hedge cutter. You stay on the ground and the cutter does all the work from there. Battery operated means there is no fiddling with cords. Jobs that used to take me hours are now done in minutes.

OP
OP
Tykey

Tykey

big-cheese
I had made all safety precautions, Jaycey. I got my wife to stand at the bottom of the ladder, so if I had properly fallen, I wouldn't have hit the floor. I was only 4 ft off the floor.
I wish you lived closer, because I now know where to borrow one.
I'm actually realising I'm becoming an old codger. When my Father retired, I spotted him up a long wobbly ladder, cleaning the gutters! I remember thinking he was a silly old fool, at his age indeed!!
I'm now 5 years old than he was
Being a man, and stubborn are also relevant factors.
The mantra I'm trying to stick to is "If I can't fix it with a hammer, buy a new one, or get a man in, or both"

Sara61

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
When I sugested keeping fit I meant walking not climbing up ladder ya daft git :rotfl: Seriously you could have done yourself a serious injury and hospitals are not ideal locations at the moment. Anyway you survived to tell the tale albeit a tad sore- a good cuppa and a bit of Jam Roly Poly will make you feel better xx

Last edited:

pamsknees

senior
Country
Yikes! Glad you’re ok. Hope your knees are back to normal soon! My new house is beautifully landscaped & I was concerned about keeping it maintained during recovery so I hired a yard crew...... now I’m thinking I will just keep them permanently .

sistersinhim

Country
Ty, you're old enough to know better!

Hopefully, your soreness will go away quickly. Thank God you weren't injured.

OP
OP
Tykey

Tykey

big-cheese
My ladder adventure has had mixed effects, on balance it has been positive

The swelling, stiffness and general soreness settled down (as we all knew it would). What surprised me is that my knee is now suddenly much better than previously. Far more comfortable and loose. But I am not recommending it as an physio exercise, it's just an unexpected consequence. Its not often these are good, they are normally disastrous!!! As they say on children's TV, don't try this at home!!
On the downside, I reckon I tweaked the ligament down the inside of my knee (ie the MCL). Annoyingly, it was pain in this area which forced the TKR. Its been a bit painful, but using a brace and copious quantities of aspirin based gel, is sorting it OK.
My wife has promised not to send me up another ladder, for a while.

Onwards and upwards!!

Sara61

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
Glad to hear you are back on the mend and that your knee is so much better than before, try wrapping an ice pack around your knee that will help with the pain.
Next time stick to walking the dogs far safer form of exercise :dogwalk:

OP
OP
Tykey

Tykey

big-cheese
This is probably my last post on my recovery thread, barring disaster!

But I shall stay around to help/annoy anyone or everyone (please delete as appropriate). I like you lot a lot!

This is because I've just completed by far my longest walk with my canine companions for about 5 years, and survived

My legs are tired, my knee aches no more than the other one, my tight band is a tad tighter, but every other bit of me aches more!!!

Just to put the top hat on it, last week the cancer hospital rang to tell me that, based on my latest blood tests, I am now A1, and my prostate has been successfully roasted to a crisp, and I'm discharged. I'm also pretty sure I've had THE VIRUS, and survived (still coughing a bit)

So all in all, I'm having a good year, my guardian angel has apparently asked for overtime payments.

I'll probably fall under a bus, or off a ladder tomorrow. But it'll be sorted, won't it!

So my messages to all kneesies are

Be positive, patient, stop thinking something is wrong, be gentle with yourself, and most importantly, never never never be bullied into increasing your ROM by force, even (or especially) by people who have certificates on the wall!

Thank you all for the help and support I've had. Keep up the brilliant work.

But finally finally here is a saying taken from desiderata, I'll put the complete text in the social area. This bit should be learnt verbatim by everybody starting this magical mystery tour:

"Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness."

Sara61

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
Will miss your amusing posts- they kept me sane for many months during my recovery.
Happy to hear you finally managed "the long walk" with your 4 legged companions- Yes you probably feel tired /achy but I bet damm proud- Well done you!!
Keep in touch - sending congratulations and virtual hugs
And for godsake stay away from ladders /buses or anything dangerous but enjoy life to the fullest xx

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
n9uib1967
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom