TKR Tykey's second knee replacement

Holiday going well if I ignore:

Trailer wheel bearing collapsing
2 out of the four of us being stricken by a tummy bug
1 having a severe allergic reaction to something she ate
1 having a painful sacroilliac
It's raining

But,



I can already see blue skies, more beach walks await, I have a dog cuddled up to me, and it'll be fish and chips by the sea for lunch. And my knee feels great this morning.
 
Next beach, our own private beach. Climbing up and down the sand dunes showed me that I still need to build up general strength, but it has been two years since I last tackled something like that.
Again the dogs were beside themselves
[Bonesmart.org] Tykey's second knee replacement
[Bonesmart.org] Tykey's second knee replacement
 
So beautiful! And, happy doggies, fish and chips by the ocean, and a knee that feels great? I think those outweigh the difficulties (which hopefully were brief and are, or will be, over with soon).
 
That is totally my idea of heaven!!
What a fabulous location grey skies n all, can visage your doggies racing freely along the waters edge :-) hopefully you are both wrapped up warmly. Makes one want a nice hot toddy after a good stroll on the beach.
Enjoy x
 
I have a nice hot toddy which I have on the coldest days
I put a pint of good, heavy, ale in the microwave until its warm, then grate some nutmeg into it, then pour down my throat
 
I don't think I noticed before that we are 'neighbors'
I believe I'm southeast of you from what I've read. It sounds like you're in the city. I'm in the country. I wouldn't trade it!
I put a pint of good, heavy, ale in the microwave until its warm, then grate some nutmeg into it, then pour down my throat
Now, that sounds relaxing. I can't believe you're already walking up and down dunes. Does that make your knee angry? I can hike up and down hills, but I haven't tried sand-dunes yet.
 
Well done @Tykey! It really sounds like your holiday has had its ups and downs too, with stomach bugs, allergies, and sacroiliac issues! The special drink sounds nice though!

The dunes sound wonderful....I'm not sure how my knee would handle the dunes, we have large dunes about 3 hours from here on the Oregon Coast... they are not something I would do until maybe next summer. I'm moving quite a bit more now though, and I'm sure I over did it today. It was one of those crisp autumn sunshine days and we have a fairly large garden that had leaves and pine-needles everywhere! It felt so good being out there, and hubby did most of the work, but I held the big contractor bags open and carried them about...

My poor knee is definitely speaking to me now. (I'm thinking I'll call her Mrs. Doubtfire...because I do have days I doubt I'll fully recover, plus days when she tells me she's angry and on fire!) So I hope you continue to enjoy the trip and that everyone gets healthy!
 
Yes, the sand dunes made my knee swell up a bit and be tender, but if It's not bad this morning. No doubt I'll be back there today, but the effect will be less. I know this stage of recovery is slow and steady.

Sadly, we are another man down, this time with a nasty virus. I can't remember killing an albatross
 
Crikey your companions are dropping like the rate of Knox :nah:
If I'm correct you were 4 now 3 are poorly that leaves you and your doggies.
Well fingers crossed you'll remain immune to them all and keep enjoying your sandy dune walks, I'm sure your new knee(s) are enjoying the freedom of being in the outdoors walking :hiking:
Ps never heard of Ale with Nutmeg ..sounds interesting...
 
The two tummy bug victims (I was one) have now recovered, so Mrs Tykey is the only poorly one at the moment. I've donated her some of my paracetamols, so fingers crossed!
It's got to be a good heavy dark ale, lager type beers don't work.

Well done Macknit, you have obviously been making strides in recovery by just getting out there and just "doing things". Recovery slows down, but still happens . Have you yet set yourself a target for the future? It has to be something you don't think you can do (yet!).
 
Last edited:
Somewhere back in one of your posts you mentioned you practiced on your gait and now have a near perfect walk
How did you manage this - I'm supposed to attend my 1 month post op this Wednesday without crutches ...I can walk without crutches but I still limp... ( limped badly for years before ) so would rather not develope this habit again.
Any tips would be welcome xx
 
What I use is an elbow crutch, because it makes me stand tall, and not stoop. I have it on the arm opposite to my bad leg.
It's difficult to describe it, but place it forward just as far as needed, because you place your bad leg parallel to it, ensuring even strides. I put very little weight on the crutch.
You are aiming to stand tall, good EVEN strides. Heel first, and roll onto your toes before lifting your foot. Not little shuffles, not big strides and little steps on opposite legs, proper steps, and build up speed as you feel appropriate. Needs practice.
I found limping is caused by taking long steps on the good legs, then lurching forward to land flatfooted with the bad leg.
I've just been doing it this morning, along this truly amazing beach, which is 3 miles long! I was scooting along like the old days!
IMG_20191104_113443.jpg

It's Bamburgh beach, even with its own castle, with history going back 1400 years.
Up here, there is amazing history everywhere you look!
For the Americans, this castle was extended with money from your civil war. It was carried out by a local engineer, called Armstrong, who built cannons and made his fortune by selling them to BOTH sides
 
Last edited:
I walk perfectly with the elbow crutch just as you have described but as soon as I attempt to walk sans crutches old habits step in- my PT seems to think I don't yet have the strenght for this yet...
Are you still using an elbow crutch ?
When were you able to go up and downstairs normally ?
I'm still going one leg at a time :oyvey:
The scenery looks beautiful and steeped in history unfortunately I was not in the UK long enough to have discovered any of it - I just went to boarding schools there as my parents were forces.
 
If you walk perfectly with an elbow crutch, keep using it until it becomes second nature. As I said, I don't use it to take any weight, because I don't need to. Its just to make sure that I take a proper length step. If I don't step far enough my legs and crutch get in a real mix. Sometimes it barely touches the floor. You may need to take a little weight on it as your strength returns, but don't lean on it, or you won't stand straight.
It's called muscle memory, we need to unremember how to limp.
I go up stairs normally only when I remember, which isn't often. Even then it's still very awkward.
Very rarely do I come down properly, and then only the bottom two steps, because I only need to get one wrong, and l'll be in a pile at the bottom! It'll be a few months before I expect do it properly without thinking.
Can we post videos on here?
 
Tykey,
Post your video on YouTube, then post the link here.
It will show up like this.
 
Another walk on the beach, and I've finally overdone it! My knee is now swollen, but I'm seeing if sweet corn is more effective than peas for reducing swelling.
The dogs? They couldnt care less, they are having the time of their lives and getting leaner and fitter every day
 
Ahhh @Tykey, I actually have been setting goals... hubby and I used to walk/hike a great 5 mile loop near our home...my last walk was the day before surgery September 2nd !! I did load up on my arthritis medications to help my knee along on those walks. I really hope to do this by Christmas, which is just past the 3 month mark. Not sure if that will happen, but I have noticed that my stamina has increased and walking around the office has been less taxing than when I started part time 3 weeks ago! (I'm back to work full time this week and 3 days into it, my knee is already adjusting!)

I like your universe 80/20 rule :SUNsmile: Hopefully, Mrs. is getting past the bug!?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom