TKR Tykey's second knee replacement

:wowspring:that is good news and wonderful that you have had a PT whom is understanding and not pushy - bonus too if she is pretty :) I wish you plenty of walks / hikes :walking:and continued success with your knees - hopefully you'll still keep us updated and amused from time to time xx

I start PT tomorrow already with the mind set that it isn't going to hurt and if they dare try well I can be quite expressive haha.

Keep in touch :)
 
I shall stay around to keep you all on the straight and narrow, and to encourage everyone to eat copious quantities of Jam Roly Poly and custard!

What is your goal, Sara?

I'm going up Mam Tor,
Hoppy is going up Beachy Head.
 
My goal is to be able to walk the:walking::walking: beautiful mountains and trails beside our 2nd home in the North of Portugal in the Peneda Geres National Park, The wild horses up in the mountains are really worth the effort - every year a local group walk to the summit enjoying beautiful scenery along the way - I've usually gone by jeep as my knee couldn't manage it.
So that is my long term goal:)

We are going for a month at Christmas however due to the climate I doubt I will achieve my goal on this occasion but hopefully I can join in some of the smaller trails with my husband and dogs and maybe next year fulfil my dream or even just part of it :)

If anyone wants to experience the North or South of Portugal J do let out our properties just send me a private message for details.
 
7 week blog: update.

Still going strong, as ever a mix of several steps forward, and an odd small step backwards. An odd little soreness here and there.
Walking is good, normally a mile a day. My knee is up for more, but I need to build up my fitness.
What I have found is that using an elbow crutch on the opposite arm has a great benefit, not in taking any weight, but in making me take even, steady strides when walking. The knee is much happier when it works consistently.
Crawled under a car this morning to check the brake disks, it's amazing what you can do without involving a knee
I know it will be a while until it's 100%, and I'm being patient (ish).
Getting excited about my first TKR,'s 10th birthday on Monday. Still the best joint in my whole body
 
A mile a day is wonderful, Tykey! Hopefully icing will help with the soreness, along with your continuing attention to gait and even, steady strides while walking.

I have been pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to lift things even with my new knee, like lifting my rollator walker into my SUV. It's easier for me to do this than it is for my sweetie to do it, since he has minor back problems. My knee is as strong and steady as an oak tree.

I am working on walking farther (both with and without my rollator), but only pushing myself mildly for now. Like you, I need to gradually build up my fitness but in my case, I am starting at a much lower level.
 
It's a lot better for allowing long strides, than was my "plain jane" metal walker that the hospital gave me. My plain jane walker was so awful for that, because my legs would hit the walker if my stride was long enough. Not so with my rollator, at least so far.

I don't know but I think possibly a worse disadvantage to a rollator (for me, anyway) is that it assists in keeping your stride well centered. When I don't use it, I have to use my muscles to keep me from lurching and wobbling from side to side as I walk. So, that is why I am not just throwing it in the trash but instead gradually using it less and less; there are a lot of muscles that need to get stronger. When I walk without it I try to focus not only on "heel-toe" form, but also on having my stride and body weight centered and not wobbling from side to side.

Love the "silly walk" video! :rotfl:
 
Last edited:
That is sooo cool !!
Photos after please ::hiking: Alpacas are just adorable ❤
 
They are great! But I couldn't eat a whole one
This one will be a gentle one hour walk down the local country lanes. Next year I'll be up in the higher country.

 
The alpacas shown on that website are so big! They would scare me. But then (being quite the city girl) I am scared of most large animals, even cows. :heehee:

Have fun on your alpaca walk once things dry off!
 
Wishing your knee a very Happy 10th Birthday.
Hoping you'll celebrate in style :cheers: you never mentioned which leg is the oldest /newest right or left :)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom