THR Two Years Post THR and Life is Great!

Yeah a real shower! Keep up the good work. I love the chart/ table! Brings out the schoolteacher in me. I wish you had star stickers.:angel::wow::idea:
 
@sunbunny -I'm a retired teacher too! I give myself little check marks. Crazy huh?

@healthgal46 - My physio told me to massage the incision as "there are good scars and bad ones and the bad ones can cause problems and affect the muscles" or something. I read on Bonesmart somewhere NOT to massage the incision but I was just naturally massaging it because it felt good and I put polysporin on it too.
But no the bump is just above my knee on my thigh and there is pulling when I bend my knee, really noticeable when I am going downstairs. I revert to the toddler step. But the routine my PT prescribed is working. I biked for 18 boring minutes today, swept the deck, and also cooked a special meal for the first time in a long while and had company for dinner. I'm tired now! I do wish you would check in Healthgal to let us know how your recovery is going.
We had a fellow about 58 on the Patagonia trek from Calgary Alberta that had two new hips and he did all the hikes without problems - he's a downhill skier/snowboarder. I also skied cross country in Italy with a 78 near old who had a THR and he was able to ski everywhere - no fear of falling. My hero!
Keep in touch!
Di
 
@Granny Di yes! Kindergarten and first grade for me. Now I have two grandsons almost 4 and 1 1/2 year olds . My daughter is pregnant with the third 12 weeks out. She and her husband work demanding jobs and we were helping a lot but now we can't at least for a couple of weeks. I think she will retire after this one. Grandchildren are such joys. You know the saying, I would have had grandkids first if I knew how much fun they are. Have a good rest tonight. :wowspring:
 
@sunbunny - Lucky us! We have 5 "G" Kids -2 boys and 3 girls -and they bring such joy to our lives. I tell them I am going to live to be 100 and they believe me. This darn hip thing has set me back on my longevity goal.
I mostly taught Grade 2 and special ed and I think years of bending over and walking on a hard cement floor in unhealthy shoes has damaged my back and my hips. Plus the stress of having 30 little ones but it was a very rewarding career. You are good to help your daughter as it is really exhausting looking after little ones. I find they are easier now - youngest just turned 5 - and they don't make such a mess of the house as they used to. You will have to be careful not to overdo it with the little ones. All the best!
 
Last day for Lovenox blood thinner injection was last night! :yahoo: Glad that is over. Still getting better little by little, day by day. Key is to stay positive and be patient-not always easy.
Trouble is my "good" hip is hurting and I hate the thought of going through this again. :sad: I didn't notice the good hip pain until the bad one didn't hurt anymore. Old age is not for sissies. Gotta get to my exercises and get the endorphins running.
 
@Granny Di glad your shots are over and your bruising will subside (I looked like an eggplant). This time around no shots just aspirin. Funny how different docs and same docs change protocol. Last night definitely worst night yet. Only three hours sleep. Visited by the rock stars, Jimi Hendrix thumping out on my shin, Ringo beating my knee, Steven Tyler freaking on my new third butt, and Eric Clapton bouncing rhythms in my head. Thought Stairway to Heaven would be a good idea. Better this morning but not as good as yesterday. Well today is just starting. I am rethinking this second hip in December. Trying to input some humor and to put major breakdown feeling sorry for myself crying jags to rest. Have a great day! The sun is bouncing through the glass and making our rainbows explode on the ceiling. Must be a good thing..new mantra. Must be a good thing!:bored::ice:
 
@Granny Di Only three hours sleep. Visited by the rock stars, Jimi Hendrix thumping out on my shin, Ringo beating my knee, Steven Tyler on my new third butt, and Eric Clapton bouncing rhythms in my head. Thought Stairway to Heaven would be a good idea. new mantra. Must be a good thing!:bored::ice:

Hahaha - see your fun sense of humour will get you through this. I can honestly say I was able to fend off tears al but once by thinking about all the funerals I have gone to lately for friends that have died from cancer. This hip think is no big deal compared to the Big C or MS or Parkinsons.
You will get better! You will. It's a good thing! Where's the Martha emoji?
 
So true! This will pass. My husband has two sisters with MS and they have very hard journeys each day. One of my swim buddies, a lovely lady and talented artist as Parkinson's, in the pool she is just like us, no one notices an erratic movement. She has exhausted all the surgeries like Michael Fox. She is the most positive wonderful person! Hugs
 
First day of week 6! YAY! Can't wait to see my OS and get the clearance to bend. Hubby will be so happy to give up the socks and shoes duty. I didn't get the sock putter-on-er thingy.
My knee still feels wonky (which makes stairs tough) but I have been doing my PT prescribed exercises and riding the bike 20 minutes 6 days a week. I made Saturday REST DAY. I have been driving for a week now - freedom! - and I am meeting some girlfriends for coffee this morning. Life is getting better little by little. Keeping my fingers crossed to keep setbacks away.
Temperatures outside are going up to 20 C this week so trails should be clear for Nordic walking soon and then we will move to our cottage. I'm a birder/photog so am anxious to capture some warblers this spring before the leaves get on the trees.
All the best to all you hippies.
Diane
 
I had a bath! :surfer: And I shaved my legs - BOTH legs! My 6 week checkup is on Tuesday but I couldn't wait for the OS approval and just had to soak in some hot water for a while -not too long -just enough to soothe my body and mind. Funny how the little things mean so much when you can't have them. :SUNsmile:
I walked the trail by the lake today, the snow is gone and it isn't flooded although the ice has not melted yet. One more week and we will be moving to our cottage for the summer. :yes!:
 
I am totally impressed.:wowspring:Both legs all the way around. Timber. Lol. I know you are looking forward to your summer cottage.
 
Oh, so inspiring @Granny Di ! smooth legs, nice warm soak, trail walking and spring in the air. Really happy for you at this 6 week stage, will keep you in mind as I head to mine over the next 3 weeks.
:yes!:
 
I had a good sleep last night and did my Nordic walk with hubby and dog by the lake this morning. We did 2 kms or 1.2 miles in the beautiful morning sunshine. It took 28 minutes which is slow but good for now.
I highly recommend Nordic walking instead of using a cane - you won't feel as old! - and you get a better cardio workout. I am walking better every day with less need to focus on posture and gait. Halleluja! Life is good and getting better. Bring on summer!
 
Is Nordic Walk where you use two ski sticks? Sounds lovely round your lake... obviously working so well for you as you are walking so well. I am still having to really focus on the old heel, toe push off, stop lurching about thing. It does get better every day though!
 
@Granny Di Hi, Congrates on your surgery. I had bilateral THR last July and i used the Nordic poles. From the beginning of my pre-op time i practiced with the walking sticks. When i got better to walk without the walker i used those to perfect my gait and it worked the best. You are right in the respect of walking with the sticks people think your working out not rehabing!! Good luck!
 
@Michegon - glad you agree with me! It is best if done right though -and it should simulate classic cross country skiing. Pull yourself and then push back to get your heart rate up and get your arms in shape. A group of 9 women from 48 to 70 meet every morning to walk or ski in the winter. The sticks help take your weight off your joints on the downhills too.
So how are you doing now? Are you recovered completely? How did you do it?
Diane
 
SIX WEEKS IS UP! I had my checkup today and I am cleared for everything except running which I gave up at age 62. I had an X-ray and my OS said it all looked very good, and he showed me that he had to put a screw in to make the cup fit well. I have not seen screws being used anywhere on this forum but I didn't ask any questions -too scared to know! - just told him that the new hip leg feels longer than the other one and he said to come back in 6 weeks when he will measure it. If it is still longer I will need to wear a lift in my shoe. :unsure:
Anyhow I can ride my bike outside now and will continue physio to get better range of motion.
Every day is a little better! :egypdance:
 
Do you feel like you're almost fully recovered? Do you have your energy back? I can't even imagine getting into a tub and then to be able to get out! Your progress is great
 
Back
Top Bottom