Guest viewing is limited

THR Two Years Post THR and Life is Great!

The problem I have is that my feet get cold when I ice so I end up getting a heating pad on my feet.
Nope, this is the first time I have seen this complaint. Not saying it's not real however. Elevating and icing is probably making your feet cold. Heating pad and maybe a blanket or quilt?

Glad you are starting to have better days!
 
My feet get cold, especially at the start of the night. And I'm in relatively balmy Seattle! We've been putting a heating pad at my feet for the first hour or 2 of the night. After a few hours my feet are too toasty and we turn the pad off. I have my feet up on 2 or 3 pillows and the cold feet might have something to do with that.
 
@NW_red So I'm not the only one who gets cold feet. :loll:I see you are way ahead of me on the RTHR timeline. A heating pad works for me but I find it strange that I get so cold. I have been wearing a down vest all the time -even before I went into the hospital. I suppose it is because I am not getting the exercise I usually had before I blew my hip in Patagonia.

Progress on Day 10: When I got home from the hospital I weighed ten pounds more than when I went in. This morning I am down 5 pounds and the swelling has gone down. Hurray! Elevation, icing, and exercise work.
Next milestone is getting these picky staples out.
Cheers!
Diane
 
I did not remember how annoying the staples were until they came out. It felt great!
 
I too had cold feet after both of my surgeries, it lasted for about 3 weeks with each one and then one day it was like "hey, my feet feel warm again "!


RTHR - Sept. 8 2014
LTHR - Jan. 19 2015
 
Recovery Day 13: I have lost 8 pounds and my legs and feet look normal. YAY! I gained 10 pounds of fluid after the operation but I have lost 8 pounds as of this morning. I am walking slowly without aid for short distances around the house. My new leg seems longer than the other so I sure hope that changes.
All in all I am doing very well today. Happy Easter to all.
Diane
 
Fear not @Granny Di ! Most new hippies feel a leg length difference. The good news is that in most cases this feeling just fades away. Give it a good 3-4 months but I'll bet it disappears sooner. Here's an article about it from our Library Leg length differential - LLD .

Glad your recovery is going well!
 
Thanks @Jaycey. I will read the article. There is so much good information here and I am so glad I found this site.
 
I am getting my staples out today! YAY! I have a very long incision but I didn't ask the dr why -maybe I would rather not know? I am walking without my walker or my Nordic walking poles for a short time -ten minutes yesterday around the house. My leg used to give out but that doesn't happen anymore so that was resolved with the surgery. I always walked with my walking poles just in case my leg gave out. I was up too much after my morning workout and by evening I was hurting. There is one small palm sized part that swells up after I am up in the morning. It goes away at night so I am not worried about it.
Luckily my sister who is a retired OR nurse came for Easter and she was a big help. I haven't posted my badge -must do that.
 
Thank you for posting your hip updates. I will be joining you soon and it is reassuring how you gallop over your hurdles.
 
Hi @sunbunny! This forum sure helps with getting through this... I wish I had found it sooner. I was not the least bit nervous about the surgery but I WAS worried about having to sleep on my back as 5 minutes was all I could take and then I would be in pain. Surprise! It has not been a problem and I am just now starting to sleep on my good side for a while. Had the staples out today -35 I think -long incision...so now I can have a proper shower.I will keep in touch. You will do fine.
Diane
 
Awwww that first shower post staples!!! I do remember how that felt. I enjoyed reading your recovery thread. I will be joining the recovery forum at the end of the month.
 
Thank you @Granny Di I am worried about the back sleeping. I am most worried about the rehab of the new hip due to related back issues (l 5 disc). I know one relates to the other. So glad to hear about your shower. Thanks for the encouragement.
 
@sunbunny - I have a very bad back with retrolisthesis and the opposite(atrolisthesis) with bulging disks but it seems better since I started walking again. I guess it must have been a nerve affected by the hip that caused my leg to give out because it isn't happening now. Leg does feel a little numb now though. Posture is important and I am working on that. Lots of bad falls skiing and mtn biking and years of teaching little kids so much bending over to hear them while wearing low heels on a cement floor. As I aged I got smart and wore runners. Too late! lol
I will not have back surgery, ever. Core exercises help too. I did some dry needling before I went on my hike in Patagonia in November and that helped. I shouldn't have gone on the hiking trip as my back had suddenly got worse but it was booked and my girl friend was counting on me so I went. Are you pretty active @sunbunny?
 
Hi @Granny Di! Just catching up on your thread...sounds like you are doing really well! I too had really bad swelling for almost a week, but continuing elevation was the key, and now I am at week 5 and haven't had any additional issues. How is the leg difference going? I still notice it but went to my OS today and he assures me all is well. I think it is a matter of physical therapy and our bodies adjusting.

@sunbunny - I slept on a motorized recliner for 2 weeks with no problem. Then I was able to sleep on my non operated side with a pillow between my legs. I had anterior method though and very few restrictions...
 
Hi @Granny Di, I am having the posterior approach which comes with weight bearing and 90 degree restrictions. I have had both knees replaced and thought one had failed as it felt as if it was giving way and I had pain as well. That is when I discovered it was the back issue causing the nerve pain in my leg. I have had two sets of injections in my back and and the leg pain is better but have to be careful with endurance of standing, sitting, and walking as they cause the back issue to become worse. The L5 disc is unstable and the hope is when I have my hip replaced my back issue will improve. The right hip needs to be replaced as well but the left is worse. Back surgery is not recommended due to the disc above failing as well. So one step at a time and I am on the way to become a bionic woman, lol. I do water aerobics three times a week. I was very active prior to my joint problems and taught young children as well. I am very optimistic that the hip replacement will I improve my gait and quality of life. Long story but I know from previous joint replacements that recovery is a journey. This forum is very informative and comforting to know others are on the same journey too. I have rented the motorized recliner and glad to know it helped you. Thank you for posting your recovery.
 
I am getting my staples out today! YAY! I have a very long incision but I didn't ask the dr why -maybe I would rather not know? I am walking without my walker or my Nordic walking poles for a short time -ten minutes yesterday around the house. My leg used to give out but that doesn't happen anymore so that was resolved with the surgery. I always walked with my walking poles just in case my leg gave out. I was up too much after my morning workout and by evening I was hurting. There is one small palm sized part that swells up after I am up in the morning. It goes away at night so I am not worried about it.
Luckily my sister who is a retired OR nurse came for Easter and she was a big help. I haven't posted my badge -must do that.

that is weird which approach did you have? i had the anterior approach and unless it is just the way the doctors do their procedure i didn't have any stitches on the outer part of the incision or i did but they are all underneath the skin. all of my little steri strips fell off today. yeah, now my pt is going to show me some massaging techniques to help break up the cluster and relieve some of the burning sensation from the healing part.
 
Recovery Day 13: I have lost 8 pounds and my legs and feet look normal. YAY! I gained 10 pounds of fluid after the operation but I have lost 8 pounds as of this morning. I am walking slowly without aid for short distances around the house. My new leg seems longer than the other so I sure hope that changes.
All in all I am doing very well today. Happy Easter to all.
Diane

what is your secret to losing the weight? lol! isn't it amazing how our bodies work, my husband took my scale away from me for a while because i am one that obsesses about my health and weight but i guess it is a good thing. i am hoping it is just water weight. i know i lost a lot of muscle but i am back to the gym and getting my groove back on and walking (speaking of which time for me to hit the treadmill) i have to get back to my running weight and lean out again. i cant start jogging or running till the end of May approximately according to my dr and pt.
 
@healthgal The 8 pounds was all swelling that I gained after the surgery and the swelling is gone. Honestly sometimes I think I don't eat enough when I am exercising a lot. I weighed 151 this morning but I should be 140. I used to be 5'5' but I have lost an inch in my old age. lol
I still find it amazing that you are doing so much so soon. Good for you!
 
@healthgal The 8 pounds was all swelling that I gained after the surgery and the swelling is gone. Honestly sometimes I think I don't eat enough when I am exercising a lot. I weighed 151 this morning but I should be 140. I used to be 5'5' but I have lost an inch in my old age. lol
I still find it amazing that you are doing so much so soon. Good for you!

i am too but according to what my pt said we are at the peak of our healing right now so we will feel stronger and have good strength but we will hit a plateau soon and than depending on the individual we will hit a wall and it will be harder. i am hoping it wont be like that for me. i get ticked with the energy or lazy i get. i am aiming for 4 days or 5 hopefully again with weights and doing walking/biking at least 4 days a week with my pt 2 times a week. i am happy but we will see day to day.
 
Back
Top Bottom