Guest viewing is limited

TKR Two years out from October 2023 TKR

I have had two episodes where I felt light headed and a little out of breath.
This happened to me too. In my case it was the oxys (I had taken an extra). When I backed off the oxys the problem went away.
Oh, hmmm. I didn’t take extra, but it could be from them. Sometimes they make me feel weird.
 
I cut my morning meds in half and I guess it’s too soon. I was extra stiff and sore and now I have to play catch-up. However, yesterday was great. I feel like I went a bit backwards today.
Sounds like it is just too soon to cut your meds. I totally understand the desire to reduce the pain killers, but it is important to stay ahead of the pain during these early weeks of recovery. Pain can result in inflammation and slow your recovery.
Remember this is a long recovery and you are only 10 days out of surgery. :flwrysmile:
 
I cut my morning meds in half and I guess it’s too soon. I was extra stiff and sore and now I have to play catch-up. However, yesterday was great. I feel like I went a bit backwards today.
Sounds like it is just too soon to cut your meds. I totally understand the desire to reduce the pain killers, but it is important to stay ahead of the pain during these early weeks of recovery. Pain can result in inflammation and slow your recovery.
Remember this is a long recovery and you are only 10 days out of surgery. :flwrysmile:%
Yes, I’m sure you are right. Once I went back to a whole pill yesterday for my afternoon doses, my pain was much better. I am going to keep experimenting to see what I can handle. Last night I decided to do half pills along with a 500mg Tylenol for my midnite and 4am doses, and I seemed to handle that okay. I went back to a whole pill this morning. I really want to get off these oxy pills as soon as I can, but they really work for me. I feel like I already have a little dependence built up. The last thing I need is to have withdrawal symptoms while I’m trying to recover from surgery. When I had my hip replaced two years ago, I was on oxy for three weeks and did experience mild withdrawal when I quit taking them.
 
As long as you taper you should be ok.
 
Question for those in the know….I have quite a bit of pain on the inside of my knee. My knee is sore to the touch and when I am at rest it is a significant throb/pain that never really goes away. I know it’s early days. I just keep thinking it will get, at least, a little better and it hasn’t yet. I feel like I want to readjust my leg to relieve the ache, but when I do, it doesn’t help. Pain medication doesn’t really help this pain, either. I just sit here and suffer with it. I ice all the time. 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off and elevate part of the time. Suggestions or thoughts.
 
I had that. I requested my surgical report and while reading it, I discovered that my OS had done a medial release. That explained the extra pain there. This might explain your pain in that area. But, as you heal you will find that you have different aches and pains in all kinds of different places. This is normal.
 
I‘m so upset right now. I have a good friend who had knee replacement about 6 weeks ago. She had an amazing recovery. Off pain meds at 8 days, off the walker and cane before that without limping, flexion of 130° at 3 weeks. She kept saying that it was an easy recovery. Which is great, I’m glad for her. But, my husband just asked me she did so good and why I’m still taking pills and can‘t bend my knee and made me feel like something was wrong with me because I'm still in pain. He said maybe I have a low pain threshold. It ticked me off. How dare he say that to me. It made me feel like something is wrong with me and now I can’t stop crying. He feels bad and said he wasn’t trying to make me feel bad, but too late. I’m 10 days PO. I told him that she is the exception, not the rule. Just venting.
 
I told him that she is the exception, not the rule. Just venting.
She definitely is the exception. You are the normal one.

I have been a bit down myself, this weekend. My PKR was not a success. It’s been 6 and a half years and just the other day someone implied to me that it was because I didn’t do enough therapy. It hurt to be blamed for something out of my control. I‘m trying to give this person grace because they don’t know all the ins and outs of PKRs, which can be iffy, or of joint replacement in general, just what they think they know about “everyone.” I am the only exception they know, so I must have done something wrong. I also heard a lot of hurtful things in my first year of recovery. It’s hard to tune those voices out, but we have to try. I’m working on it. :console2:
 
There is nothing wrong if you do have a low pain tolerance. That does not make you weak, or less than. None of us can help how our body reacts to pain. Pain is as unique as the individual. I've read that we are predisposed to how sensitive we are to pain. Also, men have a higher pain tolerance than women. Our emotions can also intensify pain, so I hope you're able to get to a place where you're feeling calm and at peace with it all. Hopefully you and hubby can lower your expectations in regard to your recovery. That's great that your friend is doing so well, but her recovery is unique to her, just as yours is to you. I hope you've forgiven him, he loves you and he's concerned. It is difficult for our loved ones to see us in pain and in a vulnerable state. You're doing fine for 10 days post op and you know from past experience that this is all temporary and will get better. I hope you and hubs can chill tonight and watch tv together, or plan a getaway for when you're feeling better...anything to take your mind off of recovery for a bit. Just b-r-e-a-t-h-e, it's all going to be okay. Sending a warm hug your way. :friends:
@Dmcfad2
 
Just sending hugs to @Jockette and @Dmcfad2 - don't let the (you know whats) get you down!!!!
We get the outcome we get, most of which is out of our control.
 
I have a good friend who had knee replacement about 6 weeks ago. She had an amazing recovery. Off pain meds at 8 days, off the walker and cane before that without limping, flexion of 130° at 3 weeks. She kept saying that it was an easy recovery. Which is great, I’m glad for her. But, my husband just asked me she did so good and why I’m still taking pills and can‘t bend my knee and made me feel like something was wrong with me because I'm still in pain. He said maybe I have a low pain threshold. It ticked me off. How dare he say that to me.
Your friend more than likely had a lot less work done inside her knee than you did. That is why we say to never compare your knee with another knee even if it's on your own body. Everyone's surgery is different as is their recovery. Your husband had no right comparing you to anyone else. He does not know what the inside of each of your knees is like.

I ice all the time. 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off and elevate part of the time. Suggestions or thoughts.
Icing for only 20 minutes at a time really does nothing to reduce the inflammation, pain, and swelling inside your knee. As long as you have a cloth between your knee and the ice source, you can't over-ice. I iced for hours at a time. The whole time I was sitting or lying down I had an ice machine hooked up and my leg elevated on the Lounge Doctor. Ice is a fantastic pain reducer and kept my reliance on the pain meds lower. Try this the next time you ice, just keep it on all the time and you should see a difference.
 
I told him that she is the exception, not the rule. Just venting.
She definitely is the exception. You are the normal one.

I have been a bit down myself, this weekend. My PKR was not a success. It’s been 6 and a half years and just the other day someone implied to me that it was because I didn’t do enough therapy. It hurt to be blamed for something out of my control. I‘m trying to give this person grace because they don’t know all the ins and outs of PKRs, which can be iffy, or of joint replacement in general, just what they think they know about “everyone.” I am the only exception they know, so I must have done something wrong. I also heard a lot of hurtful things in my first year of recovery. It’s hard to tune those voices out, but we have to try. I’m working on it. :console2:
I am sorry you are feeling down. I love how people on the outside looking in think they have the answers. Let them try going through this! Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate it. I hope things get better for you.
 
There is nothing wrong if you do have a low pain tolerance. That does not make you weak, or less than. None of us can help how our body reacts to pain. Pain is as unique as the individual. I've read that we are predisposed to how sensitive we are to pain. Also, men have a higher pain tolerance than women. Our emotions can also intensify pain, so I hope you're able to get to a place where you're feeling calm and at peace with it all. Hopefully you and hubby can lower your expectations in regard to your recovery. That's great that your friend is doing so well, but her recovery is unique to her, just as yours is to you. I hope you've forgiven him, he loves you and he's concerned. It is difficult for our loved ones to see us in pain and in a vulnerable state. You're doing fine for 10 days post op and you know from past experience that this is all temporary and will get better. I hope you and hubs can chill tonight and watch tv together, or plan a getaway for when you're feeling better...anything to take your mind off of recovery for a bit. Just b-r-e-a-t-h-e, it's all going to be okay. Sending a warm hug your way. :friends:
@Dmcfad2
Thank you, Layla, for your kind and caring reply. He has apologized and feels terrible and said he didn’t mean to make me feel bad. We are chilling and watching football. I calmed down. All is well.
 
I have a good friend who had knee replacement about 6 weeks ago. She had an amazing recovery. Off pain meds at 8 days, off the walker and cane before that without limping, flexion of 130° at 3 weeks. She kept saying that it was an easy recovery. Which is great, I’m glad for her. But, my husband just asked me she did so good and why I’m still taking pills and can‘t bend my knee and made me feel like something was wrong with me because I'm still in pain. He said maybe I have a low pain threshold. It ticked me off. How dare he say that to me.
Your friend more than likely had a lot less work done inside her knee than you did. That is why we say to never compare your knee with another knee even if it's on your own body. Everyone's surgery is different as is their recovery. Your husband had no right comparing you to anyone else. He does not know what the inside of each of your knees is like.

I ice all the time. 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off and elevate part of the time. Suggestions or thoughts.
Icing for only 20 minutes at a time really does nothing to reduce the inflammation, pain, and swelling inside your knee. As long as you have a cloth between your knee and the ice source, you can't over-ice. I iced for hours at a time. The whole time I was sitting or lying down I had an ice machine hooked up and my leg elevated on the Lounge Doctor. Ice is a fantastic pain reducer and kept my reliance on the pain meds lower. Try this the next time you ice, just keep it on all the time and you should see a difference.
Sometimes it gets so cold that it makes my knee ache. I feel like I need a break from it at times. But, I will try doing it longer. Thank you.
 
Maybe instead of icing with something from the freezer (if you’re using gel packs) try just something cool. Try keeping the gel packs in the refrigerator instead of the freezer. If you have an ice machine, see if there’s a way to control the temperature, and make it a bit warmer. (I didn’t have one so I don’t know if that’s an option.) Maybe that would allow you to “ice” longer.

I never liked icing in my recovery, it always made my leg feel so stiff, but I did it because I was told to. I didn’t think of keeping the gel packs in the refrigerator, rather than the freezer, until my daughter suggested it several years later, when I needed to ice my foot.

If that doesn‘t feel better, maybe try to forgo the icing. Yes, we do recommend icing, but we’ve had a couple of members whose doctors tell them not to ice at all, and they’ve done well. Which proves that there are many differing opinions for this recovery and we have to find and do what works for each of us.

This is what I have in the beginning of the Recovery Guidelines:

”Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.”
 
Good Morning!
Consider this, instead of trying to ice for longer periods of time, don't increase the time, but the frequency, icing more often. Crazy as it sounds, I've read of many offsetting the bone chilling with heat elsewhere, either cozy clothes, a robe, blankets, even a heating pad placed elsewhere. Possibly it tricks the mind with the dueling sensations? :shrug:May be worth a try...
Happy Monday! I hope it's a good one. :)
@Dmcfad2
 
@Layla @Jockette Thanks for the suggestions. I will give them a try.
Day 11 PO. I had such a good night. I took an oxy at 8 pm. I went to bed at 10. I have been taking another pill at midnite and again at 4 am because my knee will start to ache and stiffen and I want to stay ahead of the pain. I have been on an “every 4 hour“ regimen. Well, last night, I didn’t need to take them! I woke up, went to the bathroom, got back in bed and fell asleep! I just woke up and I can tell I’m ready for my morning one, but I feel darn good! I am moving around better, too. I feel like I turned a small corner. Baby steps! I love all the encouragement here on BoneSmart.
 
I moved back to my bed last night. I was pretty comfortable there, so no more couch for me. I did notice my back and neck ached a little this morning, but it wasn’t too bad. I just get so stiff and sore sleeping on my back all night. I miss sleeping on my side. I need to try it one of these nights. I ended up taking half a pill in the middle of the night because my knee felt so stiff. I have two areas that are quite painful. The back of my knee just aches and throbs, like a toothache, and the medial part of my knee is always so sore and tender. Tylenol doesn’t seem to help, but the pain meds do. I don’t think I’m ready to give them up yet, so I will probably ask for one more refill when I go in this week to have my staples removed. I did heel slides today and feel like I might be getting a little more range of motion. I use a strap and just go to the point of discomfort, then pull one more time for that last little inch. It hurts, but I feel like I get a little better with each stretch. So far, after 12 days, I am not doing anything other than icing, elevating, resting, napping, gentle PT exercises and walking around the house with my walker. I’ve also made a few easy dinners and made the bed, but that’s it for me so far. I’m restless and would like to do more, maybe go out to dinner or something. I don’t know when I should do that, though. According to the BoneSmart recovery guidelines, it says I should just be doing what I’m doing in this second week. I don’t want to overdo it, so I guess I need more patience. I don’t want to set myself back.
 
You might try doing heel slides without a strap and not pushing that additional inch. The idea is gentle range of motion, not using a strap to do more than the joint can do. And you might lose that "increase" overnight due to increased swelling.

Re going out for a meal... We are all different of course, but in my experience (as a person with good baseline fitness and flexibility) it was a few weeks before I had the reserves of stamina and energy to try going out in public for a meal, and that was a barely an hour lunch date that wrecked my knee for the day and overnight because my comfortable sitting tolerance at that point was honestly about 20 minutes.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom