Guest viewing is limited

TKR Two years out from October 2023 TKR

Hang in there!!! Pain and surgical stress often affects us strangely; I'm guessing this middle of the night crying jag is in some way helping you process or release the stress. Sending a big ((hug)), and one for your dear husband as well.
 
Hang in there!!! Pain and surgical stress often affects us strangely; I'm guessing this middle of the night crying jag is in some way helping you process or release the stress. Sending a big ((hug)), and one for your dear husband as well.
Yes, I think you’re right. My husband says it relieves the stress and I’m entitled to it. I do feel better after my crying jag ends. LOL
 
This is one of the articles in the Recovery Guidelines:

 
Let those tears fall, they are cleansing both physically and emotionally.

Waking up in pain at night means you are probably doing too much during the day. Decrease your activities and increase your icing and elevating and you should see improvement in that night pain.
 
Continuing to document my recovery: 8 days post op

I feel I turned a small corner yesterday. I am getting a little more ROM. I am still very stiff when first standing up, but by gently bending and straightening my knee, it loosens up a lot. The few PT exercises I am doing on my own seem to be helping me.
I still have significant pain, but I can tell things are getting better. My knee gets VERY achy at night.
I am still taking Oxy 10mg every 4-5 hours most of the time. A few times I have taken 5mg instead of 10mg just to see how I do. Right now, I still need the 10 mg, but I’m pretty sure I will be able to start tapering down in the next few days if my pain continues to improve. I talked to my surgeon‘s PA and asked her to prescribe 10 mg instead of 5mg. They have only been giving me 42 5mg pills at a time and I was taking 2 pills every 4 hours, so I have needed a refill every 3.5 days. This time she gave me 40 10mg and I will cut them in half when I start to taper. That way I won’t have to ask for a refill so soon, if at all. She agreed that was a better plan.
I have been sleeping on the couch, but think I will move to my bed tonight to see how I do. I didn’t sleep that well last night. I just couldn’t get comfortable. It’s really the first night I have had a problem sleeping.
I am getting bored with the rest, ice and elevate daily grind. But, I know it has to be done and it will be worth it. I spend my time reading, watching movies, playing games and getting on social media, with short walks and PT gentle exercises thrown in.
I count my blessings!
 
I am getting bored with the rest, ice and elevate daily grind. But, I know it has to be done and it will be worth it. I spend my time reading, watching movies, playing games and getting on social media, with short walks and PT gentle exercises thrown in.

I remember that well. It was hard to concentrate enough to read so I did the 'seek and find words' books. That didn't take much brain work. I also bought adult coloring books to help with the downtime. Unfortunately, it's hard to color when you're lying back! Getting up and walking around to get my drinks, snacks, and meals helped with the boredom. Getting up in the mornings and washing off and brushing my teeth pooped me out and I found a morning nap was needed and naps helped to widdle away the time.
 
Even if the changes feel subtle and slow in coming, you're making progress.
I'm happy to read that you have a plan you feel confident in with the meds. It has to be awful to be in pain and fear being challenged when you call your surgeon's office for a refill. Soon these days will be behind you and you'll feel more like your old self, but a better version. :happydance:
A great weekend to you!
@Dmcfad2
 
I am getting bored with the rest, ice and elevate daily grind. But, I know it has to be done and it will be worth it. I spend my time reading, watching movies, playing games and getting on social media, with short walks and PT gentle exercises thrown in.

I remember that well. It was hard to concentrate enough to read so I did the 'seek and find words' books. That didn't take much brain work. I also bought adult coloring books to help with the downtime. Unfortunately, it's hard to color when you're lying back! Getting up and walking around to get my drinks, snacks, and meals helped with the boredom. Getting up in the mornings and washing off and brushing my teeth pooped me out and I found a morning nap was needed and naps helped to widdle away the time.
I can’t really concentrate when reading, either. I read 3 or 4 pages, then put the book down and pick it up again a few times during the day.
 
I am getting bored with the rest, ice and elevate daily grind. But, I know it has to be done and it will be worth it.... I can’t really concentrate when reading, either. I read 3 or 4 pages, then put the book down and pick it up again a few times during the day.
Yep! I spent a lot of time playing Word Chums (like online scrabble) with my sister 2,000 miles away, doing online jigsaw puzzles on my Kindle, and skimming magazine articles!
 
PO Day 9
I did a lot yesterday and was on my feet more than I have been since surgery, so I was expecting to be more achy and sore last night. Surprisingly, I had a great night. I got myself up in the middle of the night for a bathroom break without my husband having to lift my leg for me. I still need to use the leg lifter, but I did it by myself. Once I started walking, I felt less stiff and sore than on previous nights where I just wanted to burst in to tears (and did a couple of times). Because I was feeling better, I cut my middle of the night pain pill in half and am going to experiment with taking half a pill along with Tylenol when it is medication time. I plan on stretching from 4 to 6 hours between meds if I can without ramping up the pain. First I will see how I do on half a pill, then start stretching out the time between meds. This morning, I am achy and I’m ready to take my 8am med.
I decided to sleep on the couch again last night, but I’m moving to the bedroom tonight.
 
I have a question. I have had two episodes where I felt light headed and a little out of breath. Both times I had just taken a shower, gotten dressed and done some PT on my bed; when I went to get up is when I felt light headed. As soon as I lay back down and rested for a bit, I was okay. I’m just wondering if this is common after surgery?
 
Yes ma'am, this is also common. You just went through a major, traumatic surgery and your body is trying to recover. I bet you aren't eating or sleeping well, either, that adds to the stress your body is feeling. It took months for me to get all my energy back. My knee was taking most of it! Energy drain for TKRs
 
I have a question. I have had two episodes where I felt light headed and a little out of breath. Both times I had just taken a shower, gotten dressed and done some PT on my bed; when I went to get up is when I felt light headed. As soon as I lay back down and rested for a bit, I was okay. I’m just wondering if this is common after surgery?
Yep, I had dizziness and racing pulse early on. In addition to what @sistersinhim notes, I have normal-hemaglobin anemia which was probably worsened post op.
 
I have a question. I have had two episodes where I felt light headed and a little out of breath. Both times I had just taken a shower, gotten dressed and done some PT on my bed; when I went to get up is when I felt light headed. As soon as I lay back down and rested for a bit, I was okay. I’m just wondering if this is common after surgery?
Yep, I had dizziness and racing pulse early on. In addition to what @sistersinhim notes, I have normal-hemaglobin anemia which was probably worsened post op.
Oh, yes, my pulse was racing, too.
 
I’ve got you in my middle of the night crying and in pain prayers. I’m sorry you’re struggling. I am too. Through the years of 10+ knee surgeries I’ve built up a tolerance to pain meds. I have to take 20mg oxy every 4. Yesterday I had to cut it to 10mg and had a miserable day. It’s interesting to me how different surgeons are. My OS said they do refills as needed through 6 weeks post op. The last time I had TKR I was weaned off by week 3-4. I think at week 1 you should be able to take all the pain meds you need. ❤️ We will get there. It’s early days. Hang in there my friend.
 
I have had two episodes where I felt light headed and a little out of breath. Both times I had just taken a shower, gotten dressed and done some PT on my bed; when I went to get up is when I felt light headed. As soon as I lay back down and rested for a bit, I was okay. I’m just wondering if this is common after surgery?
Yes, as you've read, this happens sometimes. Can be the anesthesia, meds, low BP, even dehydration.
I don't know about you, but the first couple showers were not only a tad stressful, but they can wear you out! You're only nine days post op so this isn't surprising. To be safe, keep hubs or someone within earshot for showers until this abates. Isn't recovery fun?!! JK :wink:
 
I’ve got you in my middle of the night crying and in pain prayers. I’m sorry you’re struggling. I am too. Through the years of 10+ knee surgeries I’ve built up a tolerance to pain meds. I have to take 20mg oxy every 4. Yesterday I had to cut it to 10mg and had a miserable day. It’s interesting to me how different surgeons are. My OS said they do refills as needed through 6 weeks post op. The last time I had TKR I was weaned off by week 3-4. I think at week 1 you should be able to take all the pain meds you need. ❤️ We will get there. It’s early days. Hang in there my friend.
Thank you. I’m doing my best. Today was challenging. I cut my morning meds in half and I guess it’s too soon. I was extra stiff and sore and now I have to play catch-up. However, yesterday was great. I feel like I went a bit backwards today. The thing is that I know this happens. I think I’m prepared, but it still hits me hard when it happens. It’s definitely a roller coaster ride. Thanks for your comment and thanks for the prayers!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom