PKR Two weeks in and support waning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr. tells me 120 degrees of flexion is important for good function. I have full extension, so I'm fine with that. Not sure if I'll need another MUA. My next appt if Aug 4. I have a long history of leg surgeries, with difficulty getting ROM afterwards, so MUA is a possibility for me. If I can get up the nerve, I'm going to caccel next weeks' PT appts and see if I can get anywhere with less work and more rest. Sounds counterintuitive, but after a month of work with no results, I figure it's worth a shot! It's been what the folks here on the forum recommend oo. I doubt my Dr. can disagree with that, and even if he does, it's still my decision!

Well maybe 120 for *full* function, but you can do quite bit with 110-115. Not to say you should stop trying.

I did it.......I cancelled this weeks PT appts for today and Weds. I'll go Thursday if I'm feeling up to it, but will cancel if not! I've been mostly resting all day today, with the exception of a couple runs to get kids to activities. Icing more than usual too. :)

Here I am at 3:00 am, unable to sleep. Knee aching and I'm so restless. Nothing new, but esp tough tonight. Good to have a place to go to find others in the same situation.

I've responded to your thread below your comment to my thread. (Hope I'm making sense!)

@ladymax Hi, just wanted to check in and see how you are doing? Have things improved for you? You have been in my thoughts and prayers.

Finally, some good news........yesterday my knee was measured at 110 degrees of flexion! Yay! This is the first improvement in nearly a month. I jumped from 90 to 110. I'm pretty happy about it! I see my OS Monday, and it looks like we now don't have to have the MUA talk :)

Oh, that is wonderful news! Good for you. I think this is why everyone says not to get in to big of a hurry to have an MUA. Congratulations!

Thanks! I'm really pleased. Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Today I spent a couple hours at an amusement park with the kids. Didn't feel ready, but kids waiting all summer, and with other plans, this was the only weekend available. Took a cane, but found I should have used a crutch - maybe two! Really too much walking, but it was a sacrifice I was willing to make. Will spend much of tomorrow icing and elevating. Yeah well, totally worth it!

Doing something fun with the family is totally worth it! Rest up tomorrow and don't overdo the next few days!

Big day today.....at PT I was able to do a full revolution on the stationary bike for the first time. yay! Things are looking up :)

Great update! I felt like a kid riding a bike for the first time. Super feeling!

I'm going to be at 12 weeks post op next week, and am schduled to return to work. I really don't feel that I am ready. I have had an unusually (for PKR) long and difficult recovery, slower than most. While it is a desk job, and I can likely work from home for a while since my commute is over an hour and I still can't drive that long, I'm worried that mentally and pysically I'm not up to it. The job is very intense and hectic, and between the ongoing pain and limited mobility, I can't see myself doing it yet. Has anyone else had to request extension of leave, or starting back part time vs full time? I see my OS on the 13th and need to talk to him about this. Any suggestions?

Ups and downs. Past couple days I've tried some slow walks. About two blocks or so. Now I'm sore as heck, limping, limited motion, can't sleep. Ugh. I'm just trying to get stronger and build endurance. At 11 weeks it is so frustrating that I can do so little.

Bummer. I guess you need to build up to 2 blocks. :(

Hi Ladymax ... have just been reading your thread. What a ride you have been on with your PKR recovery. Everyone outside Bonesmart are always so focussed on numbers - ROM, extension etc. I was so happy when I read you had reached 110 AND did a full revolution on the bike. I am 10 months out from my LTKR and have an extension of 80-85 at best and cannot yet do a full revolution of the bike, which frustrates the hell out of me because it is my favourite exercise equipment. I have my RTKR on 21 August.

You haven't mentioned help at home for a while and I do so hope that it has improved a bit. I was lucky and surrounded by friends and kids (all mine are adults) who helped. My ex-husband proved to be a great support in the early weeks as we were still sharing a house (different rooms) and he did absolutely everything. This time I will be on my own, which is a bit daunting, but the support is still there from family and friends, but just won't be constantly there.

Ladymax ... I hope you continue to improve and eventually can be relatively pain free. It is certainly a long, long recovery from both a PKR and TKR.

Take Care ... Ellen

Thinking about you, @ladymax ! I am concerned you have been doing too much and it is slowing your recovery. Are you receiving more support at home? My OS and PTs have all stressed over and over that it is so important to rest, ice, elevate A LOT everyday and SLOWLY build up stamina. Start small on the walks and add a little each day. Prayers and best wishes are sent your way!

Good day today. Saw my OS, and he is very happy with my ROM at 0 to 110. Didn't even say the word "manipulation". I told him how much my ROM improved in the week I took off from PT, and he said "then I think you should stop PT!" I couldn't agree more. I came home and called them to stop future PT. What a relief. The OS also agreed to support my desire to return to work part time for now. I start back Aug 25.
I leave for my annual beach vacation this Saturday, and stay for a week. I can't wait. A month ago I was thinking I'd never make it, but now I know I will. I doubt I'll be able to ride my bike, something I love to do, but I'll make the most of sitting on the beach watching the waves, dining out, and enjoying my kids for the last time before they are both in full day school for the first time! My youngest starts first grade. Bittersweet, as all parents can certainly understand :)
Thank all for your ongoing support and understanding. It means so much to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Jbrmoto
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom