PKR Two weeks in and support waning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome news!! :wow:
The beach did wonders to help my "mental health" and therefore, my physical health, and I hope it will do the same for you!

My PT experience has been so positive that I am sad it has not been the same for you. Today, my therapist explained to me that the stretching exercises are the key to a strong recovery and the key to avoiding relapses. His mantra is slow and steady stretches every day. It has helped me greatly, and I am so grateful he has not been one to push me to do things I find painful. Instead, he works to show me how to adjust and complete stretches that will benefit my knees without making me miserable.

Have a great vacation, and take care of yourself!!:egypdance:
 
@ladymax That is awesome! Sometimes I think we worry too much about what other people will think or tell us to do. And get ourselves all worked up in a tizzy for no reason. Your week at the beach will do you good. be sure and put sunscreen on your scar so it doesn't turn dark permanently. Have fun!
 
Hi All. Just checking in from my vacation. One full day left then heading back home :(
It has been a very good vacation so far. SO GOOD for my mental health. Being somewhere new, with not too much to do except relax and enjoy my family has been very therapeutic. We have had good weather. No rain yet, and only one day left. To the beach each day. I even went IN the ocean! Yay me! I haven't been in the ocean in probably five years due to knee pain and instability, so it was a real accomplishment. I held my hubands hand to keep me from falling, and it went well. Today I went in again, but the waves were rough as was the undertoe, so I got thrown around a couple times. And I got out asap. Didn't want to blow a perfectly good knee!
I've had to take Vicoden a couple nights due to sorness, but mostly Aleve is all I need.
I'm really happy to be here, happy to be on vacation, and although I'm limited with what I can do, what I CAN do is enough for me to be happy.
I'll catch up reading everyone elses progress notes in the next couple days. Looking forward to being in touch with this wonderful group again.
My 51 yr old sister is getting a THR Sept 4. She's using my surgeon for it. I got her to check out bonesmart for the hip group, and I'm going to be her support person, as she has been mine.
 
@ladymax So glad you've had a nice relaxing time with your family. There is nothing in the world that lifts my spirits like the warmth of the sun, my toes in the sand and the sound of waves along the shore.
 
@ladymax So happy you've been feeling so much better and enjoying a great vacation!! It takes time to heal and being kind to ourselves helps so much!!

Be careful not to over-do at work. . .and keep up the icing and elevating after work!!


Ollie. LTKR June 10, 2014
 
Yay! So glad to hear you have had a good week. I think a trip to the beach should be a mandated part of everyone's recovery! I know it did me a world of good!
 
Thanks to all for your kind words.
I have a question......Thursday I was in the ocean, and it was rougher than the first time. I got out quickly, but not before being knocked down twice, including once scraping my knee along the sandy bottom of the ocean. It was a bit sore, but no big deal - no scratches, etc. Then the next day I started getting nerve pains in that area of my knee (medial area of my knee, aside of the patella). Sharp, tingly, ouchy!. Comes and goes. Kept me awake most of last night. Lasts 15-20 minutes each time, and by the time it goes away and I relax enough to fall asleep, it happens again. Ice doesn't do much for it, nor does Advil or Aleve. It doesn't affect my ability to bend my knee or to walk.
Any ideas what this could be, and what I can do for the discomfort ?
Thanks!
 
My scar area does that at times. Very odd sensation, but it usually only lasts for ten to fifteen minutes at a time. My PT says that will happen for the first six to twelve months. However, it concerns me that yours continues to do this over and over. You probably should have it checked out. Prayers that it ends soon, and your are able to rest!
 
Last night I tried rubbing in some Voltarin creme to the area, (something I had from my arthritis days), and it seems to help some. I slept better last night. I'll continue applying it as needed, and if still getting the nerve pain in couple days, I'll call the Dr. to discuss.
 
The nerve pain seems to be slowly improving. No need to bring in a Dr at this point. I think I'll be fine.
I wonder if anyone reading this has a leg length discrepency. I have for 30 yrs now, since my femur fracture. For years I had lifts put on my sneakers, and since I worked in sneakers, that worked. Then I got an office job, and had to get heals and nice shoes, and never found shoes like that I could put a lift on. After this knee surgery, I'm thinking it's time to wear flat shoes to work, but they are also not conducive to lifts, as far as I've seen so far. I'm wondering if anyone knows a brand that has shoes that are nice enough for office yet still can get a lift put on. I see some Clarks that might work. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
 
I was scheduled to return to work part time Aug 25, then to full time end of Sept. Dr. approved it and paperwork was going through, then, at the last minute, between my OS and STD folks, it was pushed out to Oct 27! At first I was really annoyed, but now I'm thinking it was the right thing. Still not close to full activity, easily made sore, and ROM still no more than 120 degrees flexion.
My job is no longer guaranteed, since I've exceeded 12 weeks of STD, but could end up going back to a job with "similar responibilities and pay" when get back.
Saturday my uncle in CA passed away unexpectedly, and the memorial is Sept 13. There is no way I can sit in an airplane seat for 30 minutes, let alone 6 hours.
I'm feeling depressed again lately with this darn leg that's been 30 years of trouble, with no end in sight. Ugh. Pity party.
 
I hear you about airplane seats, but it might be possible to get the bulkhead row--lots more legroom and possibly steward(ess) could help with ice and propping that leg up. Wouldn't hurt to call and ask.
 
You should have a nice cushion for recovery if you don't have to go back 'til October.n Sorry about your uncle.
 
So sorry you are feeling depressed and discouraged! Hang in there, you will get through this! You are in my thoughts!
 
Sorry about the loss of your uncle. I know you are probably tired of being in recovery. It can take some time, for sure. I think it's actually a blessing that you are able to stay out of work for some extra time. It really doesn't sound like you are ready to go back. Take advantage of that time and continue to take things easy with that knee.
 
Hi all. Things are definately improving again. The nerve pain from the ocean tumble is all better :) Being out of work is a mixed blessing. I know I'm not ready yet, mostly because of endurance. I have been increasing my walks ever so slowly, but get pain and stiffness quickly. I am not worried, I know it's normal. I get so tired so easily! I can't sleep at night, then drag all day. Good thing I'm not working....I'd never be able to do a good job like this. My boss is understanding, and promised me my job will be waiting for me whenever I get back!. That's a blessing for sure.
In my boredom I've gotten a ton of baking and cooking time, which I love, and the house is cleaner than it's been in months!
My sister had her hip replacement today, and was sitting in a chair hours after surgery. Her spinal has worn off now and she says she's "comfortable" when lying still. I'm a little jealous, but so happy her surgery went well and so far her post-op is smooth. It's the best we can hope for.
Thanks to all for the continued support. It means alot to me!
 
I could use some input. I'm now 4 mths post op PKR (medial) with lateral release. I am sort of stuck in my progress. I'm still at about 120 degrees, which is ok. I am not in PT, but I do daily stretching and walk whenever I am up to it, which is a few days a week. I manage a few blocks, then the knee pain is bad enough for me to have to stop (5-6/10). Most days any kind of walking, even around the house, is painful with each step. The pain feels "bony", and if I had screws in my bone, I'd swear it was that area. It's mostly medial tibial and medial femoral area, with some knee cap grinding/arthritis pain (patella not replaced).
I am slated to return to work in a month, and was hoping to start sooner, but right now I'm wondering if I can start in a month. I can't sit more than 10 minutes without pain, driving is painful, and walking, standing is also painful. Right now pain is the major issue for me.
My next Dr. appt is early Nov, but I'm thinking of going sooner, just to make sure something isn't wrong with the knee or prosthesis. I've had no injuries since surgery, and this pain did not come on suddenly with a twist of the knee or anything. This whole recovery has been challenging. I'm starting to wonder if this surgery was worth it. While the arthritis pain is gone, my overall pain level and lack of mobility and function due to it is unchanged.
Any opinions?
 
That doesn't sound right to me, unless you are seriously overdoing--which it doesn't sound like you are. The only time I've had actual pain in/around my first partial since it healed, was when my right ankle was broken and my left leg had to get my big self up and down with only my feeble upper body strength to help. Once I w's weight bearing again that subsided. I'd vote for seeing the OS sooner.I have not had a lateral release so don't know what effect that might have.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom