TKR Two knees done, 4 and 5 1/2 months out. Questions

Happy Two Month Anniversary, Righty.
Hopefully the two new knees are doing well and working in unison, if not yet, they will be soon.
Enjoy the week!
@Salleroo
 
Thanks Layla! Things are improving steadily for both but I find my self still icing and still feeling more pain in right knee. I am finally getting improvement in the right extension but still have little buckles when walking about 2-3 times a day. Hoping this improves. Hoping sleep improves too! But still glad I had them both done and so close together as I may never wanted to have the second one done if I waited!
 
In the entire scheme of things, it's still early days for, Righty, just as it is for, Lefty. Give it time and you'll be golden. Thanks for the update, Salleroo!
@Salleroo
 
Happy One Month Anniversary, Lefty!
Hopefully the pain in your right knee slowly eases and sleep increases.
A great rest of the week you. :wave:
@Salleroo
 
Hello Salleroo!
How are the two knees doing? Hopefully you had a nice Christmas and you're adjusting to your new knees, growing in strength and feeling steady on your feet. It's three months for, Lefty, today. Happy Three Month Anniversary! I hope you have a great 2024!
@Salleroo
 
I think I am doing well but have a few questions. First, the first knee (R) has been taking much longer to recover and complete extension is still an issue. I am still in PT twice a week and very good about doing my exercises at home 2-3 times a day. My flexion is good, I think 125 -130 maybe? Am walking up 3-4 miles daily and done short hikes.
Questions:
1. How long do people usually get PT? I feel like a get little adjustments to my home exercises all the time and I really learn a lot
2. How do you handle long car rides? My husband and I are heading south for 6 weeks from Maine to Georgia. Have not used ice at home for some time but wonder if the long drive might benefit from it. We do it in three days and I expect to drive some and put my foot on the dashboard a LOT!
3. Do many people return to running? I loved running and miss it much but don’t want to wear out these new knees and have to go through even one of them again! Just curious. Love to bike and hike too.
4. How much flexion is ideal?
5. When can I kneel? I try very gently occasionally but it hurts and I am afraid!

Thanks. Any insight is appreciated!
 
1. How long do people usually get PT? I feel like a get little adjustments to my home exercises all the time and I really learn a lot
You should continue as long as you continue to benefit -- assuming your insurance covers it. My approach has been to stretch out the frequency over time so I can see my therapist through different stages of recovery.
2. How do you handle long car rides? My husband and I are heading south for 6 weeks from Maine to Georgia. Have not used ice at home for some time but wonder if the long drive might benefit from it. We do it in three days and I expect to drive some and put my foot on the dashboard a LOT!
Take frequent breaks, and try to elevate when you aren't driving. I sometimes sit int he back seat.
Putting your foot up on the dashboard is a very dangerous thing to do -- if the car stops suddenly or is hit -- your leg could be severely injured. Please don't!
3. Do many people return to running? I loved running and miss it much but don’t want to wear out these new knees and have to go through even one of them again! Just curious. Love to bike and hike too.
If you pop over to the Social Room in Community, you will see several thread related to this subject.
4. How much flexion is ideal?
There is no such thing as "ideal" because every knee is different. What's important is the ability to function. As long as you can do the things you want to do, the number doesn't matter at all.

5. When can I kneel? I try very gently occasionally but it hurts and I am afraid!
You should discuss this with your surgeon, because some say never. Mine told me to try it and see how it went, but he also said some people never get comfortable with it. WIth my first TKR, it took me several months to acclimated to the sensations. I started by kneeling on a pillow, then a thinner pillow, and then finally just me yoga mat.
 
Also, @Salleroo, please note that I've moved your newest post here into your original recovery thread, but changed the title to that of your new post.

We ask members maintain just one recovery thread for several reasons:
  • It keeps all your recovery information in one place, making it easier for us to review your history before we provide advice.
  • If you have multiple threads, you will miss posts and advice left for you in your original thread, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated.
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. You may want to Bookmark this thread to make it easier to find.
 
You should discuss this with your surgeon, because some say never. Mine told me to try it and see how it went, but he also said some people never get comfortable with it. WIth my first TKR, it took me several months to acclimated to the sensations. I started by kneeling on a pillow, then a thinner pillow, and then finally just me yoga mat.
Agree with @benne68 to check it out with your surgeon. Mine said my PKR was fine to kneel on. The numb patch makes it weird and uncomfortable to start with but like @benne68 I gradually acclimatised. I really needed to kneel because I have back issues and the only thing that really helps is regular Pilates involving four point kneeling. I now use thin knee pillows but I can kneel briefly and carefully on just carpet or even my wooden kitchen floor to get something. The only thing I don't do is kneel right back with my full weight.
As for running; my surgeon said not to run or jump. I have run tiny distances, for say a bus or a train - with no adverse effects. I did try doing some very light jogging type exercises for cardio work recently but my knee didn't like it ( even at 14 months) so I backed off. I can walk for miles though ( up to 7-8 miles/ day so far) without any problems.
I think the main thing is check with your surgeon on their views on your knee and your implant and also really listen to your body.
 
How long do people usually get PT?
Some of us never took formal PT and recovered just as well as those who did. It's a personal thing. If you feel you need that help, go and keep going until you are ok with not going anymore
When can I kneel? I try very gently occasionally but it hurts and I am afraid!
My doctor told me to never kneel. Of course, I have no kneecaps, so that's a different situation.
 
1. How long do people usually get PT? I feel like a get little adjustments to my home exercises all the time and I really learn a lot
You should continue as long as you continue to benefit -- assuming your insurance covers it. My approach has been to stretch out the frequency over time so I can see my therapist through different stages of recovery.
2. How do you handle long car rides? My husband and I are heading south for 6 weeks from Maine to Georgia. Have not used ice at home for some time but wonder if the long drive might benefit from it. We do it in three days and I expect to drive some and put my foot on the dashboard a LOT!
Take frequent breaks, and try to elevate when you aren't driving. I sometimes sit int he back seat.
Putting your foot up on the dashboard is a very dangerous thing to do -- if the car stops suddenly or is hit -- your leg could be severely injured. Please don't!
3. Do many people return to running? I loved running and miss it much but don’t want to wear out these new knees and have to go through even one of them again! Just curious. Love to bike and hike too.
If you pop over to the Social Room in Community, you will see several thread related to this subject.
4. How much flexion is ideal?
There is no such thing as "ideal" because every knee is different. What's important is the ability to function. As long as you can do the things you want to do, the number doesn't matter at all.

5. When can I kneel? I try very gently occasionally but it hurts and I am afraid!
You should discuss this with your surgeon, because some say never. Mine told me to try it and see how it went, but he also said some people never get comfortable with it. WIth my first TKR, it took me several months to acclimated to the sensations. I started by kneeling on a pillow, then a thinner pillow, and then finally just me yoga mat.
Thank you so much! For the answer and for helping me use the forum! I’m a newbie in forums too!
 
How long do people usually get PT?
Some of us never took formal PT and recovered just as well as those who did. It's a personal thing. If you feel you need that help, go and keep going until you are ok with not going anymore
When can I kneel? I try very gently occasionally but it hurts and I am afraid!
My doctor told me to never kneel. Of course, I have no kneecaps, so that's a different situation.
Thank you! The kneeling thing sounds so scary, especially for you! Thanks
 
You should discuss this with your surgeon, because some say never. Mine told me to try it and see how it went, but he also said some people never get comfortable with it. WIth my first TKR, it took me several months to acclimated to the sensations. I started by kneeling on a pillow, then a thinner pillow, and then finally just me yoga mat.
Agree with @benne68 to check it out with your surgeon. Mine said my PKR was fine to kneel on. The numb patch makes it weird and uncomfortable to start with but like @benne68 I gradually acclimatised. I really needed to kneel because I have back issues and the only thing that really helps is regular Pilates involving four point kneeling. I now use thin knee pillows but I can kneel briefly and carefully on just carpet or even my wooden kitchen floor to get something. The only thing I don't do is kneel right back with my full weight.
As for running; my surgeon said not to run or jump. I have run tiny distances, for say a bus or a train - with no adverse effects. I did try doing some very light jogging type exercises for cardio work recently but my knee didn't like it ( even at 14 months) so I backed off. I can walk for miles though ( up to 7-8 miles/ day so far) without any problems.
I think the main thing is check with your surgeon on their views on your knee and your implant and also really listen to your body.
Thank you! I am thinking both kneeling AND running will never happen!
 
Unless there is something unusual about your implant, you should be able to kneel at some point. I read a study where they found that most people are able to kneel if they can get over the fear. That said it can take a while. You might ask your doctor or PT when to start. I kept trying to get acclimated by putting my knee down on my bed starting at about 4 months. But for me, it was painful to put weight on it on the floor until suddenly at the one year mark I could crawl on the carpet if I wanted with weight on both knees. I can put full weight on my first knee on the carpet but it still hurts if I try it on the tile. I will probably be more patient this time…who am I kidding, I won’t! Advice from my surgeon was that it might be painful to the soft tissue but I’m not going to damage the implant. As to running, my surgeon said that it would create additional wear on the implant but it just depends on how important being able to run is to your quality of life. So if it’s super important to you it might be worth it.

On the other hand my PT advised against ever jumping on my adult pogo stick…or skating with my grandsons. She says no matter how good my balance is I still might fall when some kid runs into me or wipes out in front of me. Oh well.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom