THR Two down, none to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@DebraR just checking in. Are you traveling soon? I know you had some concerns. Sounds like you are working your way through the recovery process -- with all it's twists and turns. I too did worry about the flu shot but know that I don't want to catch anything esp when I fly.
I'm 6 1/2 mos now and I'm 'almost' forgetting that I have a new hip. I sometimes still stop tho when there is an instance that I would have to tread carefully on uneven ground or stairs and realize, Yes!, I can do this painfree now! It's a wonderful thing. So I'm still learning and getting a 'new' muscle memory that is a good one. People here comment that they see a spring in my step. That just makes me grin from ear to ear. I am blessed.
Safe travels soon. It's been very hot in Florida but things are changing tonite. I'm still doing pool exercises gladly. :swim:
So good to read comments from @sunbunny, @Granny Di, @Legin.
 
@wcgirl we are going to Florida on January 30, will be 10.5 months post op on right side and almost 4 months post op on left side. Flu shot appointment is this month. So happy to hear that you are at the point where you sometimes forget about your hip replacement, that is just great! This is so worth it. A year of my life to have years and years of a pain free life....


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Intestinal symptoms seem to have resolved, so it was most probably the Xarelto. Who would've thought. Looking forward to my 6 week appt. with my surgeon on Thursday and restrictions being lifted. Got a Misfit Shine for my birthday, fitness tracker which will help me track my walking progress. Starting out with s goal of 30 minutes of walking a day and work my way up.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So glad you are feeling better @DebraR ! Fingers crossed your restrictions are lifted. Major milestone that!
 
Well, I may have overdid it yesterday. Walked twice totalling 2 miles. Have always had a bit of trouble with my right knee (never stopped me from doing anything though) just a pain every now and then. But now it seems to be bothering me more, no problem with stairs, just seems to be when bending over from the waist and seems to go up my thigh. Will ask my surgeon on Thursday when I go for my 6 week post op appointment.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@DebraR even now, and every once in while I would get knee pain in my right knee as it took a lot of abuse while I pampered a bad left hip. While I was in rehab my therapist reminded me to squeeze my glutes and check my posture and that got me back on track. Try concentrating on your posture and see if that helps. The pool helped a lot too as it took the weight off but I was able to work it through the range of motion. Happy 6 week checkup. It should be getting better & better every day now. :flwrysmile:
 
Yup the glutes ow bend. Inadree with wc work on flutes but also do some work re the straight line down core. Clench the knee muscles as you are standing or when leg is up..

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Thanks @wcgirl and @Legin great tips I have been using them (tighten glutes and stand straight, tighten core). 6 week post op appointment couldn't have gone better! All restrictions lifted, although they mentioned no running, no impact sports in general. I am happy just to walk, use bicycle and elliptical. So going to start slow. I had mentioned my knee problem so they took xrays of that knee and everything is good, the surgeon said the knee pain will go away. So all around great news. On another note, my PR had mentioned that she was taking curcumin (turmeric) supplements for her knees so I decided to try it. It's only been a couple of days, so I will let you know if I think it helps. Supposed to help with inflammation. Anyone know of any reason I should not try this?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
*i meant my PT not my PR!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes, Legin, I've heard that, thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi all. Went shopping yesterday in an effort to find something to wear to my office Christmas party on Dec 11. Found nothing. But overdid it again in the process! Second time now that I've overdone it resulting in right knee pain that radiates sometimes up the thigh suddenly or down the shin a bit! This doesn't seem normal to me, but they took xrays of my knee at my 6 week post op appointment and found nothing worrisome. Doc said it should go away. Am going to buy some light ankle weights in an effort to strengthen that knee. I am so worried that this will be with me forever and is getting me down. I certainly have found out not to overdo it and have an idea of what is too much now. My only child is moving out this week and there is so much I would like to be doing for him!!!! He doesn't expect it but I'd love to just be able to do everything I want to do. Have never been a very patient person, so this is killing me but learning to let go a bit...


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
We all do but alas there is no magic wand lass

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk
 
Debra, this really sounds like overdoing pain to me. At six weeks, you are in the prime time for TOO MUCH TOO SOON. You're feeling so much better....so of course you do more. But shopping means you're on your feet for a long stretch, and you're probably doing prolonged standing as much as walking. Plus shopping means you are indoors on a floor surface that can be very uncomfortable. I find even now, four years later, I can walk outdoors for a couple miles with no problem, but my legs ache in various places after just a few minutes in the grocery store or the mall.

I question whether strengthening the knee will help at all right now....and would maybe even make it worse. Soft tissue issues are easy to acquire, and hard to get rid of if tendonitis sets in. Knee pain could mean IT band inflammation, and that's no fun

I know every hippie hates to hear this, but healing takes a full year or more. Patience means more than letting go just a bit.....rest, ice, medicate effectively, rest, activity in small increments, rest, increase activity GRADUALLY in SMALL increments, rest.....I know you know this. :)

Sharon
 
@sharonslp thanks for your post. I agree with everything you said about doing too much, etc. But today I had a pain in my knee that was so strong that it gave out on me and I almost fell! That could have been disastrous if I had fell and damaged my hip. Does that sound like overuse or doing too much? It is really worrying me!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@DebraR this sounds a lot like what I had in my right knee. I even thought my knee replacement had failed. Pain was around knee, down my shin, and eventually to my toes. My knee would give out too. Turned out to be a lower disc problem. Back injections solved it. You also maybe in the Odic club. Use a support like cane until the knee pain is resolved. You don't want to fall. Hope you are better soon. Hugs
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks@sunbunny! What is an Odic club? A typo perhaps?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Does that sound like overuse or doing too much?
Yes! I think you need to majorly slow down and let that knee settle. Ice and elevate and rest that knee for now. You have obviously caused some soft tissues to complain. See if rest does the trick. You are still early out from THR and you had 2 surgeries this year. Please slow down.
 
@Jaycey I will take this advice and slow down. Do you think I could still do one of my two 15 minute walks, or should I not? I didn't today, I just did some of my PT exercises.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom