Guest viewing is limited

TKR Two (almost) matching knees at last!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oops, I did it again (eeeuww...a sr. citizen quoting Britney Spears).

Woke up this morning, went to my "tiled library," flipped open the cover of my iPad and gasped in horror: the glass surface beneath the flip-open cover was crazed and cracked. It was fine last night, so I suspect a furry resident of my house did not appreciate its usurping "his" spot atop the towel stand. Called Apple, confirmed it was still under warranty, and prepared to combine trips to the Apple Store with those to Whole Foods and either Tar-zhay or Bed Bath & Beyond for provisions & supplies for our upcoming block party this Saturday. (Displaying our flags is a block-party tradition, but some miscreant stole my flag & pole last year so I need to replace it).

Now, there's a closer and bigger Apple Store down in Lincoln Park, but walking there from the parking garage requires a long walk across a major arterial, and I'm not exactly fleet-of-foot these days. So I chose to drive 8 miles out of my way to the one up in Old Orchard, where there are no intersections to cross. Walked in and was aghast to find the next available Genius Bar appointment was 90 minutes hence. Too much time to stand around, nothing I wanted to shop for at an upscale mall, wasn't hungry for dinner. But certainly not enough time to drive to the discount stores to get my block party supplies and then get back to the Apple Store, find parking, and walk from the parking lot. Salesman took pity on me and found me a padded folding chair, during which time I read an e-book on my disintegrating iPad. Mirabile dictu, my appointment was moved up 40 minutes in the queue and after replacing my iPad and restoring its backup I was on my way.

It was now 8 hrs. since my first (late morning) Norco of the day, and I'd just tapered down to 5mg. TID. But all I had on me was a 10 mg (which needs a pill-splitter to be halved), and darned if I was going to pop an opioid and get behind the wheel. So I cowgirled-up and headed for Target. Parked, exited the car, and then saw a blinding flash and heard a huge boom. Oh, great: our 10% probability of storms had morphed into 100%. The party stuff and groceries could wait another day, so I dove back into the car and was safely sealed inside just as the heavens opened. I was starving--so I drove to Baker's Square en route home, jonesing for their quiche. Got out of the car, gingerly made my (sandaled) way around the deepening puddles, and prayed my aluminum cane wouldn't be a lightning rod. Plopped my drowned-rat self into a booth, picked up a menu and....no quiche. (I hate it when chain restaurants keep changing their menus). The waitress informed me that it was "free pie Wednesday:" any dish I ordered over five bucks came with a free slice of any pie in stock. Trouble was, nothing on the menu spoke to me. I am fast approaching the point where I can no longer eat as I please without figure consequences, so if I'm going to eat stuff I shouldn't it had better be ambrosial! I slunk out of the restaurant into the rain and got back into the car.

There is one food item I truly miss (well, two if you count a chocolate-frosted-cream-filled Krispy Kreme, which is not in the cards here on the North Side) and haven't eaten in nearly 9 months: fried chicken. And all the Chicago Yelp-ers are in agreement that the best is not KFC, Popeye's or even Harold's The Fried Chicken King: it's a dinky little stand called Krispy Krunchy Chicken, run by a pair of Pakistani brothers and located (incongruously) inside a Citgo station. I pulled in, waited till they fried up a fresh batch, and brought home enough (plus a small jambalaya) for Gordy & me. Managed to duck between the raindrops and into the house, pop my half-Norco (and half-Tylenol) dish some out and plop myself down with leg elevated and iced. Took one bite---OMG, it's even better than Gus' in Memphis or Stroud's in K.C., easily the equal of White Fence Farm (Brithael, Jean--you S. Siders know what I mean). So if that was the last fried chicken I ever eat, I can die happy. (And the jambalaya's almost as good as my own).

So you know what that means--nearly 10 hrs. between Norco doses, and an enforced "kneecation." The low-pressure cold front didn't help matters, either. Only hope it stays dry enough tomorrow for my Target & Whole Foods runs. (At least it's been long enough since that half-Norco and before my next that I can make myself a mojito with the handful of mint I grabbed from my garden).
 
Really taxed my knee the past few days by walking & sitting in traffic way more than usual. Did my gentle Swiss-ball, leg-leash and heel-slide stretches and nothing else, icing & elevating often. Last night I apportioned my PM meds, separating out my 7.5 mg. Norco and 5mg Valium so as to take them at the last possible moment before bedtime (for this night owl, abt. 2 am). Along with the other PM meds I took my usual two Arthritis-strength Tylenol. Bob's alarm went off at 5:30 am this morning and I was shocked to find that my knee hurt much more than usual. Fell back asleep anyway.

Came down this morning at 11 am and found to my shock that in the PM-meds shot glass were my Norco & Valium! No wonder I hurt at 5:30 am! So I allowed myself 7.5 mg of Norco rather than my daytime 5 mg and slathered my knee with aloe/arnica gel. I have PT coming up in an hour and even though I will insist my therapist go easy on me (and not measure ROM), I'm not taking any chances. I doubt I'll nod off behind the wheel during a five-minute drive in sunshine!
 
chocolate-frosted-cream-filled Krispy Kreme
We don't have Krispy Kreme here, but I will dream (if I can sleep) of what this might taste like :happydance: .
Sounds like you've been figuring out how to wean off the meds. I am off of everything and truly enjoy my mind and body being back under control. Enjoy your weekend.
 
Ready Krispy Kreme doughnuts are divine! They can be considered sinful if one isn't careful especially when the red hot sign is lit outside the store. :angel:

Dulcimer Diva Please eat one for me. The closest Krispy Kreme doughnut shop is too far away from my house. I grew up on those doughnuts in Alabama!:happydance:
 
Our closest Krispy Kreme closed a few years ago, though I used to see them at the local grocery. Not the same as getting them when the sign is lit. Haven't thought of them in ages...which is no doubt a good thing!
 
So, what's more addicting? Krispy Kremes or Pain Meds?
 
There used to be one on Archer (site of the old Candlelight Dinner Theater) right near Bob's office, as well as one on River Rd. near the Steak & Shake & Target just n. of the Allstate Arena. Both are gone. There's still one on Pulaski north of I-55; is the one on Cicero & 147th in Midlothian (our go-to after a concert at the old Tweeter Center) still there? My local Dominick's & Jewel both dropped KKs in favor of no-names. The last Krispy Kreme I ate was in Omaha in Aug. 2011 the morning after playing a house concert and night before a farmer's market. I can still taste it.....(The homemade pineapple-orange-peach-almond milk fake "Julius" I'm sipping right now--a test run for tomorrow's block party--probably has as many calories but is more nutritious....that's what I hope). Drunken Donuts just aren't worth the calories, IMHO.

Went to PT today and begged Stacy to go easy on me. She agreed to do that and didn't measure but said my flexion looked at least as good as on Tuesday (I know she was trying to keep my spirits up). All I know is that today the slightest pressure on my kneecap to coax flexion made the back of my knee burn and I needed my cane to walk for the first time in a long while. And of course, due to schedule and traffic snafus (and the glass of champagne I had at dinner out) I went nearly 9 hrs. between Norcos today. Hence the endorphins I'm seeking with this smoothie. Have to be up early tomorrow: brunch is at 11, and I've found you can't make an insalata caprese the night before (it'll spoil if you leave it out and the tomatoes'll get mealy if you refrigerate it).
 
Once a year, we take our grand kids to the "doughnut store." This is a tradition that goes back to when my granddaughter was about 2 - she is now 14. The "doughnut store" is always Krispy Kreme, and on those days, I throw everything I know about nutrition out the window and chow down on as many hot glazed and as much cold milk as I can with absolutely no guilt. It is a beautiful thing!
 
I know the store bought KK doughnuts aren't anywhere near the taste of the fresh ones, but if you place the KK doughnut you buy at the store from the box into the microwave for 10 seconds it is close but not exactly like being at a KK doughnut shop. This is the only way I survive not having a KK near me. I would have to travel 30 miles to get a fresh one. I often think about a KK road trip when I have one of those cravings, but somehow come back to reality and go to the store and buy the store boxed KK doughnuts. :headbang:

Ready Krispy Kreme doughnuts are more addicting. I can drop a pain med in a minute if I had a hot fresh KK doughnut! :heehee:
 
Sandy, I think the Midlothian KK is closed, as is the one that was on Harlem, just south of I55. Gosh, I remember the lines when that place opened! Police directing traffic for about a mile down Harlem. I used to see them at the Jewel and about once a year buy a couple and nuke them for a few seconds. Haven't even looked for them in ages. Thought it was kind of funny they kept them right next to the produce section, as though they were a healthy alternative to fruits and vegetables or something! Brithael, I agree with you....sometimes ou just gotta through all good sense away and live a little! Once or twice a year I get me a couple of White Castle cheeseburgers and an order of onion rings and it's like I've died and gone to heaven!
 
Wow, I feel so deprived. Obviously I missed out on something pretty iconic (but it sure has been fun hearing about them). The orange scones I baked this morning are a sad replacement after listening to KK stories. Wonder what Dr. Oz would say about KKs?
 
My mom loved to tell the story of coming back from the movies with her dad and stopping by the back door of the local bakery as the first donuts were being baked for the next day and they'd let them get some. (This would have been back in the '40s. ) Mmm...donuts...
 
Today marks 8.5 weeks post-op. Milestone was that for the first time since I sprained my back, I took a full shower, put on a dress instead of a nightie and headed out of the house. First, though, I had to order a new microwave, whose magnetron bit the dust while Gordy was nuking the steak dinner I'd made for him before he left for the show he writes. Called GE and the dealer, and confirmed that I didn't buy the extended warranty. (I usually never do except for computers, Apple products or major appliances). The magnetron was still covered, but the cost of labor and transporting the microwave was more than the cost of a new one.

Then it was out to the nail salon--this set has to last me through this week's studio session (never know when I might have to lay down one more overdub while mixing) and next Friday's gig in Rockford. (PM me for details, as for legal reasons it's "invitation-only," akin to a house concert, thanks to ASCAP and its ilk bringing the hammer down on small venues and drowning the baby in the bathwater). Decided that since I need to drive to Sparta (375 mi) tomorrow and I'm 5000 mi. overdue for an oil change and "well-baby checkup" for my car, the haircut can wait. So I drove up to Niles. Then I picked up a couple of loaves of 2-gm-carb-per-slice bread in Evanston, and decided to bid farewell to lobster rolls--onward to Whole Paycheck...er, Foods--for a lobster tail, a baguette and a bottle of chardonnay. Packing tonight: due to its being summer and my being a size or two smaller, I can pack lighter--shorts, tees and a light windbreaker for nighttime. Then tomorrow it's off to the pharmacy to refill some prescriptions (which I hope not to have to take) and lay in some IcyHot patches, to the ATM for cash, and finally Sparta. I will stop at every rest area and then some. Bringing my supply of low-carb bread, high-cocoa chocolate, almond milk and Black Cat beans for my engineer's espresso/cappuccino machine--Sparta is the land where cappuccino comes in flavors out of a machine in a gas station. I will be existing mostly on veggies, berries, tofu, and eggs, as my hosts are vegetarian. (I may live dangerously and have a little muesli for breakfast). I will dream each night of the Snake River Farms Wagyu burgers we grilled for last weekend's block party.....

What made this possible when I could barely hobble yesterday? My FP's permission to take a morning dose of Aleve (just this once) and an amazing gel I bought at the Meritage Resort & Spa (across from the Trinitas tasting room) in Napa in April. When I go upstairs to pack and get ready for bed (Bob has generously offered to haul my suitcase to the car so I needn't kick it downstairs, which is my usual method), I'll take note of the brand name and post it.

You might not hear from me for several days--it takes three cell providers to get signal down there, and it's so far from town that the cable company won't even provide service.
 
Best wishes for pain free trip (or at least as little as possible!)
 
Good luck on the trip! I'm familiar with Sparta (well, at least the signs on the interstate for it. Wait a minute, Doug's grandfather hailed from Sparta!) Glad you got the refills for the meds. Seems like you don't need them if you have them, but if you don't have them, you need them! Nice of Bob to take your suitcase downstairs for you. More often than not, I employ the same method you do....give it the old heave-ho!
 
Here I am back home (but leaving for Rockford in 2 hrs)--my left knee is now 2 months+4days old. Had really productive mixing sessions down in Sparta; mostly stuck to my diet (though with the vegetarian cooking some carrots, peas, & pastas sneaked into the mix); picked up some lovely tomatoes, eggs, & white peaches (Bellinis, anyone) at an Amish farm stand; and had my red meat fix (prime rib) at Wildfire with Bob en route home last night. Traffic on I-55 was a nightmare--construction added 2 hrs to my trip each way. And I have to allow an extra hr. to get to Rockford tonight (playing at 7, soundcheck 5:45, better be on my way by 3:30) because it's down to ONE lane all the way (40 mi) from Elgin to Rockford.

Unseasonably cool for southern IL in August--not too humid, either. But oh, that ragweed!!!

BUT I was able to get through each day with menthol patches, arnica gel and Arthritis Tylenol--no Norco or Valium till bedtime. Slept like a baby. This is the fastest I've ever recovered from a backache. Sat on low-slung seats & benches--but this morning discovered I can easily do a full revolution backwards AND forwards on the upright bike! (Now to add some resistance...). No PT at all! So I am off my prescription pain meds only to sleep! (And back to eating dead animals and leaves).

We are actually short a couple of performers for the Sat., Sun. & Mon. writers' rounds at the Fox Valley Folk Festival Labor Day weekend. So if you live anywhere near Chicago (or even IN or WI) and can perform your original songs on a guitar or portable piano, please PM me!!! (Our next meeting is in w. Lincoln Park this Mon. night, so we can get you signed up as a member).
 
Glad you survived your trip! (I feel your pain in that Elgin-Rockford route. I've done it way too many times!) Good for you for being off your meds! I'm trying to stick with the Tylenol and take the Norco at bedtime.

Wish I had some musical talent to offer, but, alas, I can't carry a tune in a basket.
 
So glad to hear you had a successful trip and the knee behaved itself!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom