Guest viewing is limited

TKR Two (almost) matching knees at last!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So glad to hear you are doing so well; do you do any performances in the Chicago area; how great that you are getting back to a somewhat normal routine. Yes. the KK on Cicero is closed; my 13 yr. old takes Irish Dance lessons at Gaelic Park, so we would passs there a couple times a week; often my 8 year old would "twist my arm" and we would get some on the way home; I do not even want to think how many calories are in there. We are going to Myrtle Beach tomorrow and some people have said that there is a do-nut place called Britts which they have said are the best in the world. In the interest of science I guess I will have to do a taste test
 
Also forgot to mention that I descended alternating stairs yesterday morning. My back is acting up a bit today--not surprising considering most of our 2-hr. Rockford show last night was done standing up (sat to play dulcimer because my partner forgot to bring the keyboard stand for it that usually lives in his car). But my proudest achievement this weekend? Stopped in Bloomington/Normal for Starbuck's on the way home---saw a Krispy Kreme shop with the "HOT" sign lit, and decided to drive past it!

Next Chicago-area appearance is at the Fox Valley Folk Festival, Sun-Mon. Sep 1-2, on Island Park right in the middle of the Fox River in beautiful downtown Geneva, IL. On Sun. at 11 am-noon I will be emceeing and playing in a writers' round for the Chicago Songwriters' Collective on one of the workshop stages; on Mon. at 11 am-noon, I will be performing a traditional Irish dulcimer tune and acting as the guitarist for the remainder of the program by the Dulcimer Society of Northern IL. That will be either in the (sheltered and cool) Teaching Pavilion or a workshop stage--won't know till programs have been printed. There's also a chance that from 1:30-3:30 pm Sat. Aug. 31 I will be hosting a writers' round for the CSC in a local eatery in downtown Geneva. More details to follow.

Unfortunately, the rest of my performance schedule for autumn takes me all over the Northeast & Midwest for folk music festivals & conferences. (Sep. 14 my partner & I will be playing Guitarfest at the Crown Winery in Humboldt, TN). Will let you know of any additions!
 
Interestingly, back in the earlier days of Weight Watchers' "point" system (calculated on calories & fat vs. fiber), a Boston Kreme (custard-filled) Dunkin Donut was 5 points and both its plain cake and yeast-glazed donut 4; Krispy Kreme's cream-filled chocolate glazed donut was 4 points and its iconic yeast- glazed one 3.
 
Congrats on passing up the Krispy Kreme - I don't know if I could do it. It's been a long time since I've had one, and I love them! I talked to my husband about your performance in Geneva, and we may try to come up and see you. He loves the dulcimer, and Geneva is a beautiful little town.
 
I don't think I could have passed it by, either! I'm sure I could have come up with some sort of rationale for stopping.
 
I spent most of last week doing some post-production and mixing 5 mi. outside a very small southern IL town, which town has decent cell and internet service; but the guesthouse of the recording studio (on a farm) where I was staying has very poor cell service except on a local provider (Alltel)--I have devices from all 3 of the "majors" (AT&T as my primary provider, Sprint for its unlimited data except in its myriad dead zones, and Verizon as the one carrier that usually covers what the others don't). My hosts live so far out of town that the phone company won't bring out a landline or DSL and the cable company won't come in for TV or internet either. They have only satellite for both TV and internet (and live so far from the nearest cities--Carbondale or St. Louis--that they are not entitled to receive network broadcast stations via satellite; their roof antenna is useless). If you could see my setup--MacBookAir tethered to an AT&T iPhone and a Verizon iPad Mini (don't have tethering on the Sprint phone)--you'd be reminded of a Rube Goldberg cartoon.....when the setup works down there. Lucky to be able to get a phone call or two a day. Makes for few distractions from the studio, though; and it's lovely rolling farmland down there between the Mississippi & Kaskaskia rivers. About 4 hrs. each way via the Interstate and 2 hrs. on country roads. Unfortunately, traffic south of Joliet was dreadful and added an hour in each direction. Ever see people driving BACKWARDS on a freeway on-ramp rather than get stuck in that mess? Yup, that bad! My knee did not misbehave; and I was so apprehensive about the traffic and all the work I'd have to do all week (but so happy about being in such pretty country with my engineer & his wife, such wonderful friends) that my back stopped acting up too. IcyHot patches and Voltaren gel did help too.

Last Friday night my singing partner & I met halfway in Rockford, IL (he lives in Madison, WI) for a concert at JustGoods Listening Room, which went very well--except for the normally 90-min. drive that took nearly 3 hrs due to......traffic!!! Q: What's the state tree of IL? A: The orange construction cone. Q: What's the state bird of IL?
A: The one you flip at the state tree!

So that's what I've been up to. Got 14 songs for the duo CD and 6 for the holiday EP mixed (waiting for one guy to come in and re-do a complex blues fingerpicking solo before we master); and about half the songs on my next solo CD tracked, with several other instrumentals mixed since I last sang and played the basic vocal, guitar and dulcimer.
Meanwhile, I spent most of this week frantically assembling the lineups for the two opening (Sun. & Mon. 11 am) Chicago Songwriters' Collective writers' rounds for Labor Day weekend's Fox Valley Folk Festival in far west suburban Geneva, IL. Sunday was a snap--filled the round (including yours truly) very quickly with people who were available only for Sunday morning; for Monday I'm playing with and for the ensemble of the Dulcimer Society of N. IL at the same time as the writers' rounds. Now, normally, I have to beat CSC member songwriters off with a stick--everyone wants a chance to play at a major festival, even if it's only three songs first thing in the morning (when the generators for the workshop stages may not yet even be fully-functioning). But this year, it was as if Labor Day had cooties! Everyone's either playing elsewhere (at the fest or not), out of town, seeing family, BBQ-ing, or injured. But I managed to cobble together a pretty good lineup for both days.

Brithael, we're still not sure if the dulcimer set Monday will be at 11 or noon--they're still juggling schedules. The festival's schedule (broken link removed: https://www.foxvalleyfolk.org) should be up by this coming Monday. I won't be listed by name--on Sun. look for "Chicago Songwriters' Collective" and on Mon. "Dulcimer Society of N. IL" or "DSNI." There's a remote chance if DSNI doesn't get to perform until 1pm Monday I will be playing with and emceeing the CSC rounds both mornings. And I promise to play a dulcimer song there! DSNI is about half mountain and half hammer-dulcimer players, with a guitar, flute and (this year) even a koto mixed in!
 
Wow! You sure made a lot of progress...well, not on the highway! Congrats on your productive week and that your knee was up to the challenge!
 
Forgot to mention that Wed. night we went with the Holy Cross Hosp. staff docs to see "The Book of Mormon." Am very glad I brought both the cane (seats were in the Dress Circle, not served by elevator) and my asthma inhaler. Laughed so hard I needed to use the latter! Oddly, sitting was tougher on my knee than was either driving or sitting in a movie theater, even though I was able to stretch my L leg out straight so that my foot was beneath the seat ahead of mine. Also cabbed it there both ways--planned for a glass of bubbly in the lobby before the show--and had no trouble getting into the back seats of the taxis (not even the Escape SUV one).

Today I finally got my roots done! Nice to keep the grays at bay. (And made an appt. for my next keratin treatment in Nov. in order to get the discount). Only time I'm not alternating stairs is on my first trip downstairs in the morning--after that I'm alternating both up & down. Bought new dresses and workout clothes at Target. (Had been a pantsuit-gal for years, but now that my legs are slimmer, I don't mind showing them off, heck with the scars). And today, the only thing I needed to use the cane for was to reach for my door handle when closing the car door, to avoid straining my back again! Gave in to the lovely weather and grilled a Kobe petite-filet tonight, with wilted kale and a small glass of an Argentine Malbec. Yum!

No longer using the shower seat for its intended purpose--it's more convenient for sitting down to lace up my gym shoes. Nice to be able to shower standing up!

Tomorrow, I ditch the shepherd's-crook big-rubber-tip bronze cane for my old pal the Leki Wanderfreund hiking stick (which I've had since 1994). And it's time to dig in and gather up all my high-heeled and/or pointy-toe shoes, and unalterable too-big and ("denial ain't just a river in Egypt") size 10s and smaller clothes for pickup by Goodwill or the Sally Ann. (Those 10s would be 4s by today's standards--will never wear them again unless we have a famine).

Last night, discontinued the bedtime Valium--back is better. And tonight I cut back to half a 5/325 Norco, just for sleep. (Can barely see straight enough to type this w/o enlarging the screen, so g'night)!
 
We saw Book of Mormon in January and had horrible seats - first balcony way over house left, but it was such a good show, I had to go see it again! We booked better seats in July - orchestra (in fact, my RTKR was delayed from June because of my show tickets) - loved it even more. I'd go see it again if I could afford it! Funny, obscene, funny, profane, did I say funny? Leave all your inhibitions at the door and have a great time!
 
Okay--here's where & when I'm playing at the Fox Valley Folk Festival (Island Park, downtown Geneva, IL):

Sun. 9/1--11 am, Workshop Stage 2 (northernmost tent), on grass on e. side of path, in the round with the Chicago Songwriters' Collective. We'll probably do 3-4 songs each, all original. If you come to see me, at least one will be on mt. dulcimer!

Mon. 9/2--noon, Teaching Pavilion (brick bldg., northeast of Main Stage, w. side of path. Just n. of food booths. Shaded, great acoustics. I will solo (voc. & instr) on a traditional O'Carolan tune on mt. dulcimer and play guitar for the ensemble for the rest of the hour. Variety of instruments--not just guitar & mt. but hammer dulcimers, flute and even a Japanese koto! All traditional tunes, from Asian to Appalachian to New England to Celtic to klezmer!

The north entrance to the fest is just s. of the Union Pacific Metra West Line station. The Park is in the Fox River bet. IL 25 & 31. broken link removed: https://www.foxvalleyfolk.org for details. Kids' activities & storytelling as well!
 
Dear diva,
You are soooo busy, but in a good way :) let us know where we can get your c.d's from. So we can say
"We knew her when" :heehee: glad your back is feeling better. Any chance you will be playing in or around
Boston, mass.? I would love to come see your show.
Take care,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Right now our current Andina & Rich CD, "Two Guitars, a Dulcimer and an Attitude," is available on iTunes as well as in physical form on both CDBaby.com and www.andinaandrich.com. My solo CD is out of print but still downloadable via iTunes (by the song or whole album) or CDBaby.com, which may still have a physical copy in stock. My previous band SASS! "Album One," may also still be available on iTunes and I know there are physical copies at CDBaby.com--and I still have a few in stock. Www.sandyandina.com for that one. Our holiday EP "Merry Humbug" will be out by October; our next full CD "Chasing Lightning" is due out this spring and my next solo CD "Candy Apple Red Herring" will be released in late spring or early summer. Will post details about how & where to buy copies or downloads as soon as they're done!
 
Hey Sandy - just a quick note to say thanks for your kind words in my journal. Hudson is doing great, growing like a weed and seems happy for the most part ... :)

You are such a prolific writer and I've been reading your threads in stages, it's all so interesting and I can't believe all you do and know!! Keep posting all that good info, I for one, really appreciate your sharing all you do!

Best wishes and wish I could come to a concert sometime ... I haven't been to a live concert in a few years, although I enjoy it so much and used to always have subscriptions to our Symphony concerts, Opera, Plays etc. but found the stairs and sitting too painful recently. I'm happy to say I can see myself going back to even my favorite volunteer job of Ushering at the Playhouse, oh what fun that was, free parking, free shows, special seating with good views, and many parties to honor us, lol!

Best wishes to you for continued good recovery!!

:flwrysmile:
 
Not sure the next time I'll be in New England, but going to the Catskills in early Nov. for a folk music booking conference. Tell your local Boston area venues you want to see Andina & Rich!!! (and if the'll be at the NERFA conference to check out our "guerrilla showcases").
 
Just got caught up on your posts and am so happy you are doing so well; looking back on some of your old posts, I bet you thought you would never be doing as well as you are; hopefully reading your progression will give someone hope who is having a rough go.
 
Thanks, everyone! Tomorrow's weather may be dicey, but the good news is that in Geneva it shouldn't be raining till afternoon (at least, if at all). Monday's gonna be gorgeous, dry, mid-70s. Checked into my room out here tonight, came back from a simple steak-and-veggies dinner and heard what sounded like gunshots outside my window. Ruh-roh!

But it turned out to be Geneva's Labor Day weekend fireworks show--and I had a prime viewing spot. Not bad for a small town!

Spent all week holed up at the Fairmont downtown for a "stay-cation:" Bob's cardiology course. Wasn't bad, except that most of the time it was too darn hot to leave the hotel during the daytime. So I went to their spa and got both a facial and a pretty intense Swedish massage. (Was offered deep-tissue but I'll leave that to my naprapath). Had to cab it home Thurs. for my voice lesson via Skype (couldn't do it from my room for free--the wi-fi was $15 and I didn't bring my USB-ethernet adaptor; the cellular tethering was in-and-out; and taking a Skype voice lesson via the free wi-fi in the Exec. Lounge would have had all the cardiologists in attendance hauling out their defibrillators)! So I dropped off laundry and swapped out for my smaller suitcase; also had to pick up instruments for Fri. morning's rehearsal in Glenview--came back downtown via car because we got a discounted parking rate (two nights didn't break us, but five would have--cabs were cheaper--but Glenview would have been an insane cab fare). Dropped instruments back off at home Fri. and drove to the hotel.

Arrived at the hotel late Mon.--Bob had office hrs and ate a drug-rep-provided burrito (I think she was selling anti-diarrhea meds), I nuked leftovers and we went straight to sleep after check-in. Breakfasts (pretty healthy low-carb) were free in the lounge, and Bob got lunches as part of the course. Tues. night we ate at Aria (in the hotel, a sort of sushi-fusion place), Wed. aft at The Purple Pig (all charcuterie all the time, plus cheeses); Wed. night we cabbed it back to our 'hood for the "20 for 20" (20 wines, $20, all the tapas buffet you could eat--theme was BBQ, bubbles, and old vine Zins, Rhones & Pinotages). Thurs. night at Henri (best bouillabaisse I've had outside France and incredibly fresh Wash. & NB oysters) and Fri. night at Graham Elliot. Molecular gastronomy, but in a good way--no nerdy food-scientist stuff, reasonable portions for a tasting menu and generous but not dangerous pours--imaginative pairings. I have a new impression of chilled sake! And it's nice not having to take turns being designated driver!

Wanted to see Jazzfest next door at Millennium Park but I'm still not in sit-on-the-lawn shape--and again, the weather was wonky. Last night and all day today they were shooting the "Transformers" sequel in the neighborhood, so street closures and pyrotechnics made getting up to Lincoln Park & back for my mani (necessary for playing strings) tricky. At least the cabs were cheap.

Off to bed now--early morning tomorrow. Gotta grab breakfast (in line behind dozens of other performers and folk fans plus three wedding entourages) and get to the fest early enough (by 9:30) to secure a decent parking spot (even in the performer lot) and a golf cart to check-in (too long a walk schlepping so many instruments)! Hate the hurry-up-and-wait between check-in and the generators & P.A. systems being fully operational on the side stages--sometimes it takes them so long the first day there's not even time for a soundcheck! Natch, Monday we have the second slot of the day and we're unplugged anyway! Gonna leave the regular cane in the car and take the folding seat-cane instead. (Like Alton Brown, I prefer my devices to be multitaskers).

Jean, thanks for the compliments! And Barb, though I won't be in the Charlotte area for the foreseeable future (though there may be a guitar convention there next Oct.) I'll be back in Montreat (near Asheville & Black Mt) next May for the SERFA conference. My singing partner will be in the Research Triangle area in a couple of weeks at IBMA (not playing but working the Musicians United to Save Bristol Bay, AK booth). Hope the 7.0 Aleutians quake didn't harm the fisheries!

Oh, and this coming Wed. makes 12 weeks.....I believe I can fly (no, not channelling R. Kelly.....)
 
Sandy - loved your show today, and thanks for introducing us to the Fox River Folk Festival. We loved it and plan to return next year when we can stay longer. We left our 6 month old Cocker Spaniel in her portable fence in the kitchen and didn't want to leave her too long. Next year, she should have her company manners down pat and can go with us. We did get to hear several other groups, and my husband bought a CD of hammered dulcimer which he loves.
Today was the furthest I've driven and walked, and although a little swollen and stiff when I got home, I did pretty good. Spent the whole evening icing and elevating though.
 
It was great to finally meet you too! As you may have seen, Fox Valley is a dog-friendly folk festival. (Cats, not exactly advisable). Hope your husband got his hammered dulcimer fix by seeing Bill Robinson & Friends play. I walked like crazy all weekend; hadn't realized how wiped out I was until after spending a couple of hrs. jamming at the Gebhard Woods Dulcimer Festival (DSNI and "HANDS," our south suburban counterpart) booth till well past 4. I would have been a complete wreck had I not been able to ride in the golf carts to & from the performer/volunteer parking lot! All that walking, booth-sitting and plopping my keister (with bent knees) in a seat-cane has me luxuriating tonight too with my icepacks and leg-wedge! (The drive--a little over an hour each way--was a snap by comparison--a couple of weeks ago I had no problem going to Sparta and back, which took over 6 hrs. God bless rest area plazas). I did play a little hooky from my "dead-animals-and-leaves" diet tonight by stopping at Whole Foods en route home for some brisket and 12-grain bread (and there was about a half-cup of Cherry Garcia occupying too much room in my freezer). Back on the upright bike tomorrow....

Realized I should have brought my CDs to the merch tent today--all three I brought are loaded with my dulcimer playing. Did sell one directly today, though. Gebhard Woods (in a lovely state park in Morris each early June) Dulcimer Festival got flooded out this year, so it's looking for a new deluge-resistant venue in the far south suburbs for next year. They're having a benefit concert at Maple St. Chapel in Lombard Oct. 6 (if I'm not visiting my niece in Cleveland I'll be there); and though the performers who were supposed to have played this June get dibs on playing next year, I'm on the short-list for next year at Gebhard (teaching as well as playing). And hopefully, my singing partner in Andina & Rich (Stephen Lee Rich) will be with me both there and at Fox Valley next year (he had some routine but necessary health business for which to prepare today).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom