Guest viewing is limited

TKR Two (almost) matching knees at last!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spending one more night downstairs. That morning misstep has had me achy and throbbing all day (though during the radio show the performance endorphins totally distracted me). I realized halfway to the studio (30 mi. drive ea. way) that I'd neglected to take my 4pm Neurontin; had brought some Tylenol & a Norco with me and they kicked in 15 min. before our set. But it took so long to eat afterward that I was an hour late for my penultimate Opana. Because I'd missed the 4pm Neurontin dose, I took it along with the Opana when I got home at 11pm. At midnight, took a Norco--and because that was only my fourth of the day I will take another and then hit the sack...before it hits me back. Big day tomorrow: mani-pedi, PT, evening coffeehouse show. Hope I didn't lose too much flexion from my misstep this morning--I know I've lost some. I will explain to my therapist what happened and I think he'll agree to go easy--or even just do massage.

Had fun performing tonight and it was nice to go out again to a real restaurant instead of order in or cook. (My first pasta since Jan.)!
 
Hope you're feeling better this morning and were able to get a good night's sleep after the meds kicked in! I was streaming the radio show for a while (until hubby wondered what the heck I was listening to so loudly.....although I'm sure it wasn't as loud as your husband's alarm). Since I wasn't sure when you were going to be on, I missed it. Liked what I was hearing, though, and they may have a new fan. Guess I live too far to catch it on the radio, so I'd have to stream it on the computer.
 
Our segment was 8-8:30. But now that Lilli has some new cuts of ours, she'll be spinning them from time to time. And I'll be back on solo when my own disc nears completion. Meanwhile, we're also on her Holiday Hoot spectacular (live studio audience!) every December.
 
I'm so very impressed! We really do have a "diva" in our midst! I as probably listening from about 7:20 to about 7:50, so just missed you! :doh:
 
Keep listening--sometimes Lilli has other special events (such as Dylan nights, women's music--with male Chicago folksingers as our cabana boys--and a planned Dulcimer Night, when I might do some dulcimer duets with my former singing partner who is now based in the U.P. of MI and is the dulcimer half of a duo with her husband).

That 5th Norco of the day, at bedtime, hit the spot--I slept till almost 9:30! Had my last Opana too. Had my mani--the pedicurist who does ingrown toenails as well as the owner who is my usual nail tech were both off today. Will keep soaking the ingrown toe till I either: get an emergency appt. with one of them, a podiatrist or a Minute Clinic; grow the nail out long enough to stuff antiseptic-laced cotton under the barbed edge; or have my next scheduled mani-pedi in two weeks. Had my gel no-chip mani done in plain pale pink this time instead of French, so the tips won't look so uneven as I keep trimming back the left hand nails. PT coming over in a few minutes, then our happy hour gig at Metropolis at 6.

Might play the Homewood French Market some time this summer, so I'll keep you posted on that! (Not to mention getting together for lobster rolls).
 
Woo-hoo! PT just left, and I am happily icing. After gentle but long scar massage, two sets of stair stretches and leg lifts, it was time for flexion measurements. I was sure that I had injured myself mis-descending that top stairstep yesterday, as the knee was pretty stiff all day and into the evening. But it seemed pretty limber as I got out of bed this morning; this afternoon he measured me just as I was sitting on the edge of the daybed, not trying to stretch, and I was almost 90 degrees. Supine, we got to 94 without my even trying to say "stop." And twice, just barely at my "no mas" point, the Dial of Doom registered 98! Just 2 degrees off the 100 my rehab PTs got with me nearly in tears. Friday, he will help me try my upright bike for the first time, to see if I can make a revolution--he says rocking up & back is now definitely within my grasp but he wants to supervise me so I don't do something stupid mounting or dismounting. (And since my saddle height was set purely through guesswork, he's probably going to correct that too).

On to the coffeehouse tonight, French Market tomorrow, and Dulcimer Society rehearsal Friday morning. If I can get a temporary wheelchair (or we can put the Rollator in a taxi), we may try Taste of Chicago this weekend. Haven't been in years--either traveling, dieting, or (as last year) holed up in rebab. It's 2 weeks later this year. I can eat anything I want now until my appetite returns and I have to resume living la vida lo-carb.
 
Well how 'bout that?? Good for you! And doesn't something like a good number just make our day? Glad to hear you didn't do any damage! I mentioned to my PT on Monday that I no longer could use the treadmill or elliptical and had relegated myself to the recumbent bike with the retired guys at my gym. She told me to give it a try and I was able to make a full rotation after about half a minute. You have no idea what that did to my self esteem! I continued to ride, albeit slowly, for close to 10 minutes. She said I certainly could do it for 10-15 a day and that it would be very helpful. Just not sure I want to drive 10 minutes each way to ride for 10 minutes, but maybe next week I'll try it.

Believe it or not, I went to the Taste for the first time three years age (and then again two years ago) after a life time of living here. Never wanted to pig out, and I was a Weight Watchers employee for 7 years. I went down and met my husband for lunch and actually enjoyed myself. Not much of a big fan of the crowds, and if I were more than 2 weeks out, might give it a go.

Would love to come out to Homewood French Market. That's on Saturday's isn't it? We have a few Homewood folks here....maybe we could do a get-together??

You mentioned lobster rolls?? I'm there! Think I'll order some to be delivered here next week as a surprise (and thank you) for my saint of a husband!
 
I think Homewood's French Market is on Sundays--I'll ask the director when I see her tomorrow. (The same company administers all the area French Markets). We were offered Homewood and downtown (Pru Plaza) as well as Old Orchard; Pru would have been impossible with all our instruments (I alone bring a guitar and two dulcimers), amps and stands since parking would have cost more than we'd have made. And Old Orchard was much more convenient for me since I'm not driving yet--my singing partner Steve would have had a huge schlep down to Homewood.
 
Today I am a month post-op. I've been off the oxymorphone for three days, with no noticeable effect. I had expected (per my OS' prediction) to have to increase my Norco up to 6 per day to compensate but the opposite has happened: I am taking 4 per day on regular days to stay ahead of the pain and 4-5 on PT days (supplementing it with a couple of 500mg. APAP at PT). Tonight is the first of two days of weaning down the Neurontin TID to BID, with one apiece Sunday & Monday and then it's gone. I was granted a refill of 30 Norco (I had about 8-9 left), but I doubt I'll exhaust it by this time next week. The only difference I'm finding is that I need to ice & rest more, and felt a bit of a sore twinge on my first half-block walk to the corner today (first day my PT said that was okay to do). But once the Norco's about to be exhausted, if I am hurting as much then as I am now, you can bet I will insist on another refill from either my OS or FP.

What's amazing is that a few minutes after typing the first paragraph, I glanced at the menu bar on my screen and realized it was more than 6 hrs. since my second Norco of the day! Now, mind you, today was not a PT day (my therapist called to reschedule for tomorrow); but nonetheless this morning I had a dulcimer society concert rehearsal that was an hour's ride north and necessitated I sit to play for more than an hour at a time. And after an ice-and-elevate session at home, I took that half-block walk (which in some cities would have been an entire block) to the frozen-custard parlor for my first dish of the stuff in over a year. (Yes, it was worth it. No, I'm not doing it again for a while because my figure doesn't need it).

This week was stressful--four out of five days either a concert, rehearsal or radio broadcast. Needed a nap after each. But it felt therapeutic to be out and about (while being careful to minimize stress as much as possible). Looking forward to a week of nothing but rest, home PT and gentle exercises, and pampering.

As to my RTKR, I am nearly 13 mos. post-op. I wasn't 100% before "prehab" for the LTKR, but pretty much pain-free. (Most of the breakthrough nighttime pain was in my L knee which was screaming "fix me already!" even as it kept mum during my waking hours). I began getting some twinges in my R knee about a week into prehab, and it's been a bit stiff with an occasional twinge since my LTKR. But that should be no surprise considering how much weight it's been taking ever since it finally became my "good" knee last fall. I've been reading here that it can take 15 mos-2 yrs for 100% recovery, so I'm not worried. I am so glad I had my RTKR last year, and I know I will (God willing) feel the same way next July about my LTKR!
 
Quite a rough patch this weekend. Did my gentle stretches Fri. night, and yesterday the PT came over. He remarked upon massaging the scar how much looser everything seemed to be and seemed quite optimistic. Nonetheless, I moved backward a bit, able to hit only 94 flexion before considerable discomfort. He says he's not worried, given all the activity I had this past week--though he could see no visible swelling and the knee felt suppler to him, my ROM was obviously being hindered not by more swelling or scarring but by my perception of pain, a signal to him that I was doing too much too soon. He urged me that when stretching to go for duration, not degree, and to avoid going past where I felt it was too tight. He also asked me about pain control. I replied that per my OS' instructions I had let the Opana ER run out after my final dose Wed. night; had transitioned to Neurontin only BID on Fri. & yesterday so that I could take my last three remaining pills tonight, tomorrow & Tues. night; and was spacing my Norco out to every 5-1/2-6 hrs. when awake, taking no more than 5 pills a day. He suggested I was weaning off the Norco prematurely and not go longer than 4-1/2-5 hrs. between pills. He said to take it easy for the weekend, rest, and ice, and not skimp on the Norco. (He also questioned whether it was wise for my OS to insist I wean off the Neurontin, as I was still having sciatic twinges and IT band cramping). He said that he wouldn't surprised if tomorrow I regained the progress I'd lost.

Well, last night I decided to finally go back upstairs to sleep in our bedroom, on our memory-foam mattress so that there'd be no pressure points poking me in the hips & thighs if I tried to sleep on my side (something I've been unable to do post-op without triggering deep aches in the knee and up & down my leg, no matter how I position my legs or use a pillow between). Popped my fourth Norco of the day at 12:30 am, along with 5mg. diazepam. I could not fall asleep due to the pain. (14 stairs between floors, thus icing was impossible as there's no fridge or freezer on the second floor). During the night I had to take another Norco, 2 Tylenol and another 5mg. diazepam before I could finally get a couple of hours' sleep. (Of course, my husband went to bed very late and promptly began snoring loud enough for me to hear over the A/C and through my earplugs--and then the sun came up). Knew there was a reason I stayed downstairs so long after both TKRs. Gave up and went back downstairs for morning meds. breakfast, coffee, & icing. Now he's upset that he can't find his eyeglasses. Not my problem--I'm not about to traipse about the house looking for them and start the pain process all over again (nor am I going to attempt to drive him to LensCrafters when I haven't been behind the wheel in over a month, especially not if it means I have to let my Norco wear off). Let him take a taxi, as I have to do if I need to get anywhere during the day.

Enough whinging for now.
 
Dulcimer Diva. Hi Sandy.. Boy, can I relate to the not sleeping because of pain. I can go very well during the day without a lot of discomfort, but once it's time for bed, the pain starts. I sleep 2-3 hours, and then the pain wakes me. Seems the knee doesn't like being in the same position for that long. I wake up and have to kind of 'break loose" my knee, change positions and try and start over.

The stiffness when I get up for the day is awful. It takes me at least 30 minutes to get to a point that I'm not too stiff to take a step.

Ii can also relate to husbands that misplace things!! Mine takes his glasses off and forgets where they are too, and, yes, he wants ME to locate them!! LOL men are such little boys, aren't they. Need 'mama' to find things.
I love my hubby to death, but sometimes I feel like his mommie!

My husband can build, design computers, software, and do fabulous art pieces, but he can't fry an egg!! I cringe when I see him with my expensive cookware!!

I think for the last month, I have not had a decent, balanced meal unless a dear friend of mine cooked it and brought it over! I have made due with canned soup, sandwiches, and bagels.

Last night I had hubby go out to a restaurant and pick up a meal for us as I couldn't face another dinner of boxed macaroni and cheese!! LOL

I got up last night and loaded the dishwasher and scrubbed my counters, as my husband seems to forget the kitchen exists. He hadn't done the dishes in a week!! It makes me wonder how on earth they get along without us women.

Take it easy Sandy..you have been very, very busy and put more demand on that knee than it likes right now. My plan for the day, and yours too, should be to totally relax and let out knees run the show.
 
LOL! I don't let my husband or son near any of my good cookware. Gotten too many warped pots, scratched nonstick pans and dulled knives over the years. As to the glasses, mystery solved. When I asked my husband where the last place he remembers having been before coming upstairs last night, he sheepishly went out to the deck and found his glasses on the patio table.

He was nice about bringing home food last night (as he is on his way home from his hospitals or offices). The original plan was to go out for Indian food upon his return from making nursing home rounds, as I know I won't be able to eat it once I'm back on my diet. But it took a long time for him to crawl through the Taste of Chicago and Cubs traffic and neither of us had the energy to go out by then. I tried to nap, but I was awakened by my hamstring and IT band spasming like crazy. Had to massage for a full minute before I could stop crying. He offered to walk to the Indian restaurant--but that's two miles away. (He admitted he was more worried about having to try to find parking). So he went around the corner to the pan-Asian place (Thai/Vietnamese/Szechuan/Japanese) and brought back an assortment of dishes. Close enough for two exhausted souls. And pretty good, too.

My son's been good about loading the dishwasher, though it's not always done the right way. I'm convinced it's something in male DNA that makes them generously offer to do stuff and then do it so poorly (like wash a floor with a paper towel) that we never ask them to do it again! (If on purpose, it's a brilliant tactic).
 
Went back to taking a Norco every 4.5 hrs and it really is helping. My leg feels more "normal," and I can do some gentle stretches and hold them without discomfort. Will be interesting to see how uneventful the night will be and how much ROM I can regain tomorrow. (At this point post-op, even were I in the UK, PT would no longer be contraindicated).

But after browsing the Library ("browsing" is putting it mildly--try "scouring") for every pain management article I can find, I read something that startled me: I should NEVER have been prescribed Tramadol, whether in hospital or rehab. (Fortunately, I took very few of them). I have been taking Wellbutrin, an SNRI antidepressant, for 14 years. It's prominently listed in every medication list I've given out to hospitals, clinics, doctors, rehab facilities, diagnostic centers, etc.; and of all my meds, every doctor I've had has told me NOT to discontinue it. My OS certainly knows I'm on it, since he's done both my TKRs. But it's there plain as day in the Library: Tramadol should not be taken with either SSRIs or SNRIs lest a rare but dangerous condition, "serotonin syndrome," result. The NY Times even had a "stump-the-physicians" article in its "Think Like A Doctor" column (where a case is described, lab results and chart notes provided, and readers invited to diagnose--first correct diagnosis wins either a book or credit toward the Times' online subscription) in which the patient nearly died before serotonin syndrome was correctly diagnosed and treated. Good thing the stuff didn't seem to take the edge off my pain, just made me loopier than the Opana and Norco combined--had it worked I might have kept taking it rather than requesting to be able to supplement with Tylenol up to the total-intake max of 4gm/day. (Last year, I was prescribed ONLY Norco with no supplemental pain relief, so the issue never arose).

Talk about dodging a bullet!!! Josephine, you might just have literally saved some lives. Bonesmarties, READ her articles, even if you think you've read them all!!!!!
 
I've always been a proponent of checking any new meds prescribed for me for any contraindications. Although the pharmacy is supposed to do that before they fill a scrip, I've questioned things before and had meds changed. I suppose it's unrealistic for doctors to know everything about all drugs, but we really do have to be our own advocates in this regard. You really did dodge a bullet!
 
My son's been good about loading the dishwasher, though it's not always done the right way. I'm convinced it's something in male DNA that makes them generously offer to do stuff and then do it so poorly (like wash a floor with a paper towel) that we never ask them to do it again! (If on purpose, it's a brilliant tactic).

Oh my gosh,my husband does the same thing!! I caught him washing the floor with a paper towel and 409 instead of getting the mop and bucket ! LOL he said, the floor didn't look like it was dirty enough to get out the mop!!!

And we won't even broach the subject of the toilet..that is one thing men will just NOT clean!! LOL
 
That Pillmatix robot the hospital & rehab used did a great job of playing Scrooge with the opioids, but amazingly it didn't pick up the Tramadol/Wellbutrin contraindication.

Feeling a bit more normal--going back to taking my Norco by the clock around the clock (woke up at 6 am and realized it'd been 5 hrs since my bedtime dose, so I took another one) is definitely making it easier to sleep and to move. Side sleeping is still not easy, but using 2 pillows end-to-end and sleeping on my memory-foam mattress rather than the daybed does help (and sleeping on my R side so that I can do an IT band stretch with my L leg does calm my leg down a bit more each night). Got up for the morning at 9:30, took my Norco at 10:30. Have PT at 2:30, so will take 2 Tylenol when my voice lesson (1 pm, via Skype, sitting in my recliner) is over at 1:45 and then the Norco when my therapist arrives. And I FINALLY was able to get an appt. to deal with my ingrown toenail and have a polish change! (Full pedi is not for another week & a half). My toenails have "racing stripes" of bare nail bed along the bottom, and it'll be nice to have them looking neat--albeit longish--again, especially during sandal weather in the depths of the dog days!

NOTHING else to do, NOWHERE else to go this week, though I may take a cab over to the salon to get a trim, as my bangs have me beginning to look like a sheepdog and my ends are getting a bit scraggly. (Roots not peeking through yet--a benefit of going from salt-and-pepper to mostly "salt"). May also change my guitar strings, as I noticed Friday that they're beginning to look a tad grungy. (Even coated strings have a finite lifespan, and these have been on since April)!

Been lovely being able to go out onto my deck after the midday sun has passed and sip an espresso in my zero-gravity recliner. (Not so lovely having to wipe it down and dry it first to eliminate the ailanthus pollen and occasional "pigeon signatures"). If the showers don't materialize up here on the North Side, I may fire up the grill and throw some salmon & asparagus on it. After all, I've been cooking my own breakfast indoors for over a week. Too bad I don't dare try some nice Pinot Noir with it--can't take that chance till I'm down to only 1 or 2 Norco a day.
 
Therapist just left. Relaxing, getting back on a 4-5 hr. Norco interval and doing only the gentle stretches (duration but not intensity) made a major difference. He signed off on my ability to climb stairs foot-over-foot (still going downstairs a step at a time bec. eccentric contractions are tougher) and get into & out of the tub without a transfer bench. We then tried the upright bike--can't make a revolution yet but rocking back & forth and holding it at the apogee of what feels comfy helps. Finally, the Dial of Doom......100! (And unlike in rehab, without pain, just tissue restriction). Sadly, I have only two more sessions with him. Only half as long as last yr's home PT. A week from today it's back to the gym!

It was nice to be able to finally have that "emergency" pedi. The nail tech (whom the salon owner recommended as being "good with ingrown toenails") took one look and called over the owner. The "barb" of the toenail had already begun to grow into the skin! Good thing I've been soaking and applying antiseptic to it daily! No pus nor bleeding, thank heaven--but had I let it go any longer it would have gotten infected. Years ago I had a podiatrist brag that there was a nail-bed-reshaping surgery that would cure me of ingrowth forever. Baloney! I conscientiously kept my nail long enough and filed straight across, but within six months the nail bed was curling in and under again. I found out later that it's largely an inherited tendency. The surgery "works"--but only long enough for the nail to grow to its full length again. And was it worth injections in my toe and still feeling pain & pressure as the podiatrist did his thing? Heck no--especially because while he was operating he was pumping me for legal advice! So as long as I am diligent about getting a regular pedi and don't try to trim it between visits, my big toenail behaves itself. I was almost 4 weeks overdue, thanks to having been in rehab much longer than expected. It was getting to the point where I could barely endure having the blanket & sheet touch it (especially the tight way that hospitals & hotels insist on tucking in all the bed linens). Now it's painless and I have the latest new shade of fuschia nail enamel!

But having to sit with my knee at nearly 90 degrees for the duration was a challenge, to say the least. And though I found a taxi rather quickly, I was reminded of how early I am in my recovery: I still have to sit up front in most vehicles (the Prius V is an exception). I could have just slid in, legs extended and reclining on the back seat, but that'd have been spectacularly unsafe since I couldn't have used the seat belt. My experiences from last year were that except for some of the oldest cabs (e.g., defrocked police cars) with bench seats and bulletproof partitions, I never had any problems getting the drivers to agree to let me ride up front.

My voice teacher had internet problems, so the lesson was rescheduled for tomorrow. So I have a week ahead of me full of "la dolce far niente:" the sweetness of doing nothing!
 
5 weeks out today!

It's brutally hot here in Chicago (but where in the USA isn't it this week)? Thanking my lucky stars for working A/Cs and power (knock wood). Haven't been outside except for a quick ride to the bank (not going to drive until I've cut back to 3 or fewer Norco during waking hours) and a jaunt down my back stairs to cut some mint (taking over the garden) and what's left of my parsley (which in my absence had gone to seed). It's so hot that I'd rather stay indoors and eat yogurt and cut-up fruit than walk to the corner for a frozen custard, a treat which won't be available to me much longer once my appetite returns to normal and my weight loss levels off.

Sure do miss my wine--so much so that I broke down and ordered a bottle of de-alcoholized Chardonnay. Not awful but resembles actual wine far less than near-beer resembles real beer or good decaf resembles "high-test" coffee. It went okay with that frozen lobster-mac-&-cheese from Whole Foods that was in danger of getting freezer-burned. Going to grill some salmon (on my flat-top indoors), steam some broccolini and nuke an ear of corn for dinner--unless Bob calls in the next hour or so to ask if he should scoop me up and take me to dinner in the 'hood. He says it's okay to have a "taster" size pour of the real stuff but I'd rather not chance it.

Penultimate home PT visit today. Was able to get a bit higher in my backwards bike-pedaling but still not all the way around. We made it to 102 flexion with no loss of extension. Therapist says he doubts I have adhesions, as the quad & hamstring felt relaxed as he massaged them. Am keeping a degree-a-day extension progress, so I'm not worried about needing an MUA (and neither is he). I made it to 100 before leaving rehab, but I seem to recall it hurting nearly to the point of screaming back then--and this time I'm stopping him at the upper limit of what I perceive as discomfort. I also had a NuStep recumbent elliptical trainer in rehab, which I don't at home. It's just too big to fit in the bedroom. But they have two at Athletico, to which I return Monday (that's where I did my "prehab").

Bought some new clothes online, as the summer pants sets I bought last year are literally falling off me. Ordered a size or two smaller--and the tops are still nearly too big. Had no capri pants (remember when they used to be called "clamdiggers?"), and realized that many of my exercise shorts are, uh, short. Not self-conscious about the scar, but when the T-shirt seems to cover the shorts-cuffs when I'm seated, I might not be dressed appropriately for a woman my age. (I'm learning that just because something fits doesn't necessarily render it fitting)!

Also went online and ordered three new pair of Alegria "Paloma" Mary Janes: red and black patent and purple metallic faux-snakeskin. If I'm going to wear orthopedic shoes, they ought to be adorable!
 
First time reading through your thread since pre-surgery. Would love to hear you play at the Homewood Mkt. It is on Saturdays, so please post if you get that gig. I'm supposed to meet my PT today and I hope he is as good as yours sounds. Love your writing!
 
Hi, Brithael! If I can convince my singing partner to come down from WI, and there's an open Saturday slot (these markets fill up quickly!) I'll play in Homewood. Right now, I'm hoping to be able to drive down to Sparta (6+ hrs.!) in order to finish mixing & mastering our holiday EP and third duo CD in time to get them to the pressing plant for a late Aug. and Oct. release, respectively. I'm a bit nervous about that, as I need to drive to Rockford Aug. 16 for a show with my singing partner (Rockford's smack dab in the middle bet. Madison and the N. Side of Chicago).

I was going to try to drive the three blocks (way too hot to walk) to the CVS today to pick up my prescription refills, but Bob warned me that it's so hot & sticky out that after he walked from the doctors' parking lot into Christ Hospital yesterday that the nurses remarked he looked like a drowned rat. And today (as well you know!) is gonna be even worse. My intrepid and far younger son has volunteered to make the pharmacy run for me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom