Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Twice as Nice - JennyLynne's recovery

I survived my first week back to the office! Each day got easier, and Thursday I felt fantastic, and was on my feet a lot and going to meetings all over the building. I’m sure you can guess what happened next....

Yesterday was rough! I was sore and swollen ankles and tender incisions and absolutely exhausted!!! Still went to the office but didn’t stay long. Spent my afternoon and evening resting, elevated with ice. Feel much better today. My incisions are still really tender from wearing “real” clothes- skinny pants and jeans rubbing all week. Will go for dresses and skirts next week.

The biggest challenge is balancing work with my family. Come home exhausted and have nothing left to give. Here it is, the weekend.... and I just want to chill. But can’t do that!! Balance will come. Eventually. (I think???)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@JennyLynne, it sounds like you actually did well but not surprising about the exhaustion and soreness after a few days! It takes a while to build up your stamina especially between work and home. I think you'll find your happy balance too.....it might take a week or two to find it but hang in there. I do hope you find time after work each day to sit down and rest with some ice. I know you have a really supportive family and that has to help! :flwrysmile:
 
Jenny, I know it's difficult because life doesn't stop calling.
Maybe try to set aside dedicated time for yourself when you can sit, rest or nap while icing.
Then stick to it as you would getting to work on time, fixing dinner, or going through the nighttime ritual of getting your son to bed. You need it, you deserve it, you have to have it! If not, all else will suffer because you'll be miserable.

Your body has been through a great assault / trauma a mere 6 weeks ago. It's going to take awhile and you will suffer energy drain....you're certainly not alone in experiencing that.
Our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery
our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making our best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial.
Our body does it's best healing while we're sleeping.

I understand you know all of this. Often people simply need to be reminded, or given permission, that's it's okay to take care of yourself FIRST at times. This is one of those times. Saying this because I care, it's not meant as an admonishment.

I read elsewhere you and hubs are having a date night. I hope you have a fantastic time...enjoy!
@JennyLynne
 
Thank you both for the encouragement! This is when the recovery is hardest for me... when I want to do it all, and can’t even do much at all. I remember a small setback after my TKR. It worked itself out but it’s emotionally quite challenging!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I read your post over on CarrieMay's thread about the 2 a.m. meltdown.......I do hope things are going well for you. We all have those when we least expect it. I'd love to give you some miraculous words of wisdom but you know we are always here, even at 2 a.m. I'm sure someone still has the light on. :friends:
 
Oh thanks @SE Florida! You have a good idea... I should have come here at 2am, instead of waking my husband with my whining and then us both being crabby all day!! [emoji23]

Things are mostly great here but I admit, yesterday and today have been very challenging. After work yesterday, I went to my son’s final baseball game, and then we took the team out for ice cream. So I was out of the house for 13 hours and walked about 10,000 steps and not always easy terrain.

You can imagine how I feel today!! I went to work but should have stayed home. I thought I could push through but I am miserable now. Hoping for a restful night and better tomorrow!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My goodness, no wonder you had a meltdown! That's really a lot to handle even on the best day. I hope everything starts to level out for you, at least for another month or two! Don't forget to take care of yourself in all the hustle of life. You deserve some pampering time too, even more during recovery! :yes!:​
 
That's astonishing! Both at once?

How do you do that? i'm whining about one and you are brave enough to do both at once - that's amazing. Good luck to you!
 
It is hard when you are back to work AND life, to find the time to recover.
And you ARE still healing and the energy expended keeping up with all of the other responsibilities of life is being sapped.
It isn't time to get on with your life in the normal way yet, my friend.
You are important and need to take care of yourself. The investment in this recovery will have huge returns and in a few short months you will be able to do more and more without the repercussions you are struggling through now.

Just because we can, doesn't mean we should.
You have done splendidly...but please do what you absolutely must, and let yourself rest.:ice:
This hopefully forever hip needs time off!:friends:
 
@Mojo333 I hear you... it's so hard to ease back into things. I have backed off some plans I made for this week and weekend in order to rest more.

Supposed to go to the Tigers game on Saturday because my son's team gets to walk the field before the game. But, the amount of walking is daunting and I don't think I can do it and everything else i HAVE to do. Makes me sad to miss these kinds of things, but I know it's a blip on the radar.
 
I found that the energy drain caused me to get so tired I literally could not sleep. Legs twitching and mind racing forward. Please do try and ease into activities. Still early days for you.
 
I'm happy you made it to your son's final game, I know that was important to you and I goal you set early on. 13 hours certainly is a long day, even for a person not recovering from surgery. I wonder if it's possible to work from home on days that you have something important to you in the evening?
 
Is there any way that you could watch the game on Saturday from the car or a nicely padded lawn chair that's not right up on the field but where you could see? Agree with @Carriemay60 could you maybe work from home on the days that you have a lot to do? I know from my experience after back surgery that no matter how hard you try once you get back to keep it part time, go home when you fill it hitting you, etc that it just doesn't seem to work that way. It seems once you're back, you're back! Hugs.:console2:
 
@Carriemay60 it meant so much to me to be there! Especially because my husband is the coach and the kids presented him with a framed pic of the team. It was so cute!

I am going to commit to working from home more. I always plan to leave the office mid day, and then suddenly it’s 4pm!

@Elf1 the game on Saturday is a major league game- huge stadium in downtown Detroit. The kids just get to go down to the field before the game and then watch from the regular seats. It’s just too much for me right now!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I think it is very wise for you to forego the game.
There will be great times ahead...you have to be a priority right now.
You've done splendidly, really...but it does catch up.
Hugs @JennyLynne
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom