Tweetybrd's pre-op saga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Tweetybrd I believe that getting your preop labs and EKG done make this very real. You have waited so very long it will be a welcome change from your preop pain. You just won't believe the difference! Just give yourself time to recover from surgery and move at your own pace!

I am doing well. My son and I did toy distribution for Salvation Army and I was pushing a cart full of toys and lifting those bags to put them in the carts. Whew! No one there could believe I was 8 weeks postop! I was tired but just rested when I could. No problem! Yesterday I visited a friend who lives on second floor with very steep steps and I could not believe how easy it was to go upstairs!! Really! I was nervous but it was a lot easier than before I had surgery done!


Life will get easier for you too! It is difficult to imagine that now but soon you will moving with ease! Woo! Hoo!
 
Thanks @SwimGirl !! I am so ready to just get it all done. I have given myself "permission" to take my recovery slow. Hopefully I can stick with that. LOL
I am so glad you are doing so well!! So happy for you!
 
Just wanted to stop by and check on you- - less than 2 weeks for you!! I'm excited for you. With your insurance and hospital pre op done you are on your way. You've been in my thoughts this week. The last couple of weeks can be rough but it will all be worth it! I'll check back in before the big day but just wanted to see how youre doing.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
And yes do give yourself permission to rake your recovery slow. Don't try to force or hurry it along. At times it may get frustrating but in the long run 6-12 weeks of healing and taking it slow is nothing compared to a lifetime of returned mobility. Those weeks will go by faster than you think and before you know it you'll be up and about and won't want to stop moving because the pain will be gone!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good morning! I am just now reading your thread. I'm only on page 3, but will read the rest at work. Bless your heart!! You have gone through soooo much!! I can't even imagine the things you have had to deal with. I only went to two doctors and they both said the same thing, so I chose the one with a better bedside manner. LOL I have not gone through anything like that. I have had intermittent pain/discomfort for the past 10 years, but it hasn't kept me from doing anything. I guess that is why I'm so lackadaisical about my surgery/recovery. I am beginning to feel like I am going to be worse off after than I am now. Starting to have second thoughts.

I too was told no polish at all. She mentioned something about infection control as well in regards to it. ??? The worst part is that she said I couldn't shave my legs for 5 days before surgery. What?? Ew!!! hahaha!! That part was the killing shot. You better believe I will shave them late that night on the last day I can. I don't think I will worry about makeup bc I'm only supposed to be there one night. We are only a week out!! Still indecisive about my work. Seriously looking at the possibility of a new job. I will be talking with someone on Tuesday about something part time that I can do from home. I was so excited about this, but now super concerned. Ugh!

I had not heard about the SuperPath method until I read your thread. I'm excited to hear about your recovery from that method!! :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Bellydansr Thank you so much for your kind words. It was a frustrating time. But I have a great surgeon now and am almost there! :)
LOL I totally hear you on the not shaving legs for 5 days. My paperwork said the same thing and I underlined it and showed my husband. Not that I have been doing that as often as I was due to not being able to reach the lower part of my left leg as well. But hopefully in a few months I can. :)
Keep reading on here, I was were you are at. Super nervous and worried about every little thing. But I read everyone's stories here and felt so much better. Just keep one thing in mind that a very wise lady told me early on, people come here when they have questions or concerns, so for everyone of the "scarey" stories you read there are a ton of people who are just out living their life and not posting on here anymore.
I do think you should go ahead with your surgery and not doubt your decision. You might not be too bad right now, but it can change so fast and it is not fun at all once it does. I too still have days were I am like "do I really have to go through with this major surgery" then I try to walk around in a store and realize yes, yes I do.:scaredycat:
 
Well, I guess it's a good thing it's winter time. Legs will be warm...haha!! I am only a week out, so not turning back now. I read somewhere that someone wished they had regular, comfortable clothes instead of pj's bc they were the only one in pj's. I'm thinking, even though I'm tentatively only going to be there one night, I might need a couple of sweat outfits for the 2nd day I'm there and any days going to therapy. Something fairly loose. I did go buy a couple of pairs of slippers bc I didn't have any with backs on them and they recommended shoes with backs and rubber soles. I figure my foot may be swollen so I bought 2 different sizes of slippers.

It's funny. I just had a friend tell me she was up and out and about in no time at all. I guess it just goes to show that we are all so different. Did your dr tell you how long they expect you to stay in the hospital? I just told my husband that I would not be put under general anesthesia and he total freaked out!! I told him it was Propofol and a block. He just looked at me like I was crazy!! The look on his face!!! :rotfl:
 
8 days and counting!! Woo hoo! Do you have freezer meals ready? Stock up on your staples! do you have all your hip supplies ready- the reacher, leg lifter, pillows and the all important ice packs? I bet you are already prepared since you've been in waiting mode for so long and you've read so many stories and picked up tips. One thing that I really liked was a caddy for my walker- I could put my meds, phone, magazines puzzles coloring books and snacks in there and take off with my walker and all my stuff out to the living room. Best little convenience item I got for recovery.

Funny thing about the shaving legs and polish. My preop instructions also said no shaving 3 days before surgery and no polish. Ha- I got a pedicure 3 days before and went to hospital with lovely pink polish on my toes just waiting to get yelled at. The nurse didn't care one bit. She said they could see the nail beds on my fingers and that all they needed. I shaved 2 days before the procedure but not the day before. Yes shaving can open the door for infection but the risk is so low. And I shave my legs every day! The real test with the shaving came after surgery, how long could I stand to not shave my legs? I think I went 10 days and then I couldn't stand it. I got creative and duct taped a disposable razor the end of a long shoehorn. It worked great to get to the lower legs in the postop period. And I shaved that way for 12 weeks. Some days if my hip feels tight I still reach for that razor.

I'm praying for you and can't wait to start reading your recovery story!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I like the razor and duct tape.


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks ladies!!
I had my pre-op app yesterday. All my testing was fine and I have the green light for surgery. My insurance has not given the final approval but the lady at the OS's office says she doesn't see a problem and should have word on Monday. I will have a "light general" and a spinal. I am not sure exactly what that means but I will ask the morning of when I meet with the anesthesiologist. I will just be staying one night unless there is blood pressure or other issues. I have stopped all my meds and supplements but was told I can take Tylenol if needed.
My parents got here on Thurs and my dad will go back home on Monday or Tuesday leaving my mom here until I am back on my feet. :)
I am feeling a bit overwhelmed about the whole stocking up stuff. LOL I have a few friends and neighbors who will be bringing some over and my family can cook too. (adult children and my husband) but I still feel like I should be more organized. I think it is the mom in me and I don't want to have everyone waiting on me. :flabber: We will go to Sams club one last time tomorrow to get a bunch of stuff and I have a order coming from Safeway the first of the week. Hopefully that will all be enough. LOL
I have my hip kit and walker and ice packs are bought and made. The toilet seat will be here on Monday along with some nightlights and a new robe. I didn't want to fall over the dog in the middle of the night when heading to the bathroom. :thud: Getting my haircut and then going for my last chiro appt and a nice massage on Monday. Then it will be just sitting around waiting the rest of the week. :scaredycat:


@Bellydansr How are you? Hopefully you are getting settled in for this too. ?

@jaymo LOL love the duct tape and shaver!! Thankfully I have light hair on my legs and it grows slow. :wink:
What did you use for the caddy to carry stuff on your walker? Was it a built in one? I have thought about that a few weeks ago but totally spaced it. I have my bedroom set up and ready to be my "lady lair" :)
Thanks again for your thoughts and prayer. :friends:
 
Excited and nervous all at the same time @Tweetybrd !!! As for the light general anesthesia and spinal....I think you are having propofol which means you won't be totally under, but won't care one iota and won't remember a thing...LOL....and an epidural. I am having propofol and a block which means they will give me shots in the hip area to block any feeling. I am deathly afraid of needles so thank goodness for the propofol!!! :bolt::fingersx:
 
@Bellydansr Yep me too!! Super ready for it to be done. :dancy:
Ah yes that makes sense. I don't like needles either. I will be closing my eyes a lot. haha
 
Sorry to have been a bit AWOL as I return to work. So very exited for you as you head down the homestretch. So close now for you. See you soon on the other side!
 
You sound so super organised ! Hope you have a good week (the massage sounds amazing) and you don't have too much pain without your meds. Thinking of you as you count down the days
 
Just wanted to wish you well @Tweetybrd - your time is finally here and hope you are feeling good, calm and happy about your surgery. Many, many will be thinking of you, as you have been such a support to people here in both forums.

You are well-prepared, and very well-educated! Remember what you heard, that most people have 'uneventful' THRs, and so all the trickier experiences on the forum are not indicative of the general experience. I had a wonderful surgery and recovery. I didn't want to look in here until week 6, when I had a question, as the stories were off-putting and some were very detailed!

As for the spinal - try not to worry. I dreaded it due to hating needles (well, who likes them?!) but honestly felt absolutely nothing. The anaesthetist put in a little local first, didn't feel that even. You can ask for a little relaxant in your cannula before hand to take the edge off your nerves.

I duct taped my razor to a long-handled wooden spoon! One thing I did after surgery that I haven't seen mentioned ... I got into normal clothes as soon as I was home. Psychologically, it really helped me to dress each morning in normal everyday clothes (rather than wear pyjamas or 'invalid' clothes etc in the day). After all, I was not bed-bound or ill - just recovering. Next surgery, I'm considering wearing normal clothes in the hospital. (psychologically, they'll look at me and let me go home earlier,haha!)

My best advice: Keep religiously to your prescribed post-op meds, take some sort of regular laxative early on to avoid that discomfort, and just take it nice and easy. You'll do great :)
 
:flwrysmile:Best wishes for tomorrow. Will be sending positive thoughts your way.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom