Guest viewing is limited

Tweetybrd's pre-op saga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@DizzyBlond did you remove your polish? I have been told also, I will ask on Tuesday.
I have a question, why do they tell you that your to young? I was told that by the second, I asked the third OS and he said that they usually like the patients 65-70? He explained for wear. Is that it or something else?
 
Honestly, I am not 100% sure what their thinking was. The first one said I needed to be 50 years old before he would do it and the second said if I was 20 years older it would be a "no brainer". lol
The OS who is doing my surgery told me that is not the correct thinking for 2016, that they were still trying to practice medicine from the 70's .
My guess is that they are expecting to have to replace the implant because it would wear out and it would be "harder" on me as I would not have as much bone left to work with. But I could totally be wrong.
As I have not learned on here, the implants are lasting longer then ever before and I am hopeful I wont need another one. :)
 
The age thinking is old school - it seems that with newer technology this is not the issue and the mindset is different with many OS but not all. I do not think they consider the pain and life limitations we go through if not old enough for relief of pain and a return to life.

Tweetybird, not having much fun waiting for January. Pain increasing and the accumulated lack of sleep is making me grumpy around the edges and irritable - have to practice self control especially at work. I trust my OS as he did my two knees and he is great as is his office and the arrangements in the hospital that he has in place for care and recovery. I had to wait almost as long for my first TKR - same surgeon who is too popular by half due to his expertise. Very character building all this waiting and dealing with pain.

Hang in there, relief gets closer and closer daily - that is what I tell myself. Take care.
 
@Postalgal - Nope, no one every mentioned it to me in all of the pre-op appts, so I made sure my nails were freshly done and painted the day before surgery! (I knew it would be a number of weeks before I'd be able to get them tended to once I'd had the surgery!)
I totally agree with Tweetybrd about the differing opinions on age and joint replacement. Hopefully more and more surgeons are realizing that when you can't live life and pain prevents you from being able to do routine activities, it's time to seriously consider joint replacement (when all other treatment avenues have been exhausted).
Best of luck as you now begin preparing for your soon THR!!!!!
 
@Postalgal There was something in the material the hospital sent me about no polish or lipstick--I just glanced at it but I think it had to do with wanting to be able to check lips and nails for oxygenation or something like that--some sort of safety check--I can look for the specific wording later if it helps.
 
Not sure what the protocol is in the US, but here in the UK we had to remove all nail polish (including toes) and even clear polish is not allowed I believe for oxygnation/safety checks. Also no make-up, which actually included false lashes etc. Made me smile when I recently watched a telly programme where a lady was undergoing surgery with full slap, nails, lashes - the lot! :heehee:
 
When I had breast surgery in October '15, I abided by the booklet and removed ALL nail polish! UGH! I mentioned it to the nurse of my OS and he said "Don't worry...leave it on. We've learned lots of new ways to check the oxygen since those old time rules". I made him promise that if I woke up and it was removed, he owed me a pedicure and manicure! He was ready to pay when he visited me while doing 'call' the next day....but didn't have to!
 
It sounds ridiculously vain and shallow, but as a long term lash extension wearer, I really wanted to be able to keep them on for surgery. The idea of coming to and feeling and looking even less than my normal self seemed an unnecessary additional stress. It's not as if you can hop right off to the bathroom and re-apply! So I asked my anaesthetist if it was okay and he assured me he'd use gauze to protect them from the tape pulling them off. This alone made me feel so much more confident going in.
I had to take off all nail polish though.....as soon as I got home I re-painted all except the toes on my op leg.....darn it! I can't reach!!
 
@Miss Muffet you are a hoot indeed! What pray tell is a full slap? I could have toe nails done but fingernails had no polish. No makeup or lipstick. And to be honest I brought makeup for use post op but never bothered to put
It on.
 
Hello all! I was given the instructions to remove my toenail polish, even clear polish, before surgery. I would rather err on the side of caution so oxygenation can be assured. I am still getting a pedicure done, just not with polish.
 
What pray tell is a full slap?
Ha ha! It means heavily applied make-up. I think it comes from wannabe actors "slapping" it on. Pantomine Dames are traditionally totally over the top with this - and, ever since she was tiny, I have explained to my young granddaughter that The Word is subtle ......
[Bonesmart.org] Tweetybrd's pre-op saga.
 
@Tiffany57 That is awesome that they let you keep your lashes on!! I feel kind of silly now that I was worrying about the whole nail polish thing, it has been a couple of months since I have felt up to going in and getting a mani or a pedi. I just don't feel up to getting out of the house much. Driving is pretty hard for me now so I stay home. Thinking about trying to climb into the chair for a pedi and having the ladies move my leg makes me cringe.:gaah:

So I have been just going au naturel on my fingers and toes. One less thing I will be thinking about for surgery really... :thumb:

@Miss Muffet Your photo made me laugh! A full slap...:heehee: Love it!

Just a short update for myself to read back through later on. I did not have that last injection, so it has been almost 5 months since my last one. Doing ok but have started to use my cane to help with the limping. I started taking some supplements my chiropractor recommended to help my body with inflammation and it has helped a some I think. I also purchased a tens unit and use it right before bed so that I can get some sleep.
My husbands company has decided to switch insurance companies and that made me panic for a week or so. Thankfully, my OS and the hospital are on the new insurance list, as is my GP and GYN. :ok:

I have 50 days (I think) until surgery, so in the next few weeks I am planning on getting my blood work and EKG done and going to my joint class. I have been trying to stay busy with some online Christmas shopping. I only have a few more things to get and it is all done. Then I will have to find something else to keep me distracted and not thinking too much. LOL Hope all the rest of the January Jackpots are hanging in there and staying positive. :yes!: Almost there!!
 
@Tweetybrd So happy that all the right Doctors are on the insurance. I am glad you found some supplements to help your pain. And the tens unit. I would not be seen with a cane preop so I got the tall umbrella and used it for a walking stick. Not sure if there is a big difference but felt better about using an umbrella. Yes, it won't be long now and your countdown is smart! Get done what you need to. Isn't @Miss Muffet too much!

@Miss Muffet Ha! Ha! Ha! Too very cute! I get it now! Love the picture!
 
@SwimGirl Oh I don't take the cane OUT of the house.....:whistle:

I do have a countdown on my phone @Miss Muffet , just had not looked at it in a few days. hehe

Yes, hopefully, the insurance change doesnt mess things up. So far so good, but I wont know for sure until they put in the pre-authorization for the surgery on like the 2nd of January. :fingersx::prayer::angel:
 
@Tweetybrd Oh right! Just in house. You will really have a drastic change when surgery is all done.
You will be out and about and never want to come home! Except for that sweet boy! Ha! Ha! And hubby!
Try to relax and enjoy Christmas!
 
@Tweetybrd- just checking on you- how are you doing? Your time is getting close! What's the countdown? How many days til the big day??? I'm praying you can keep your pain controlled right up til the end.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom