TKR Turtle still hoping to cross the finish line

Status
Not open for further replies.
So glad to hear that your ROM is continuing to improve, Mary!

I am definitely going to go the route of avoiding severe pain with my post-op PT, and embrace the "turtle" path. Thank you for sharing your very valuable experience so that others, like myself, can benefit. :thumb:
 
Mary thankyou for sharing your wisdom and experience. It helps to hear that us turtles with adhesions can safely give our knees a break. I'm so glad your doing well.

Donna
 
My knee bend now.

Before arthroscopic removal of extensive arthrofibrosis on Feb. 23, I never got above 80 degrees.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Turtle still hoping to cross the finish line
    photo.JPG
    9.7 KB · Views: 200
Mary, what a great photo!!! I love it!! And I know you are really happy to have reached this point. Even better things are coming.....
 
You are just beaming with pride in your photo--as you should! Congratulations on your new found flexibility.
 
Well, I'm about 9 months post TKA. About two weeks ago I had to quit all NSAIDs. I had switched from Celebrex to Aleve. Both worked very well on inflammation, pain and swelling. But the NSAIDs were causing me to have insomnia.

I am taking Tylenol and it helps the pain, but not all that much. I'm rediscovering all the places in my nearly 60 year old body that aren't happy. The effusion in my operative knee has worsened without the NSAIDs. I am pretty uncomfortable driving, doing stairs, etc. Not interested in running back to the doctor but not sure what to think.

Would love to hear from people who have had stubborn joint effusions . . . and Josephine and/or Sandy?
 
Well, it's good to see you again, Mary, but a shame about your circumstances. I wish I could help about the effusion but they are very difficult things to handle.

What dose of Tylenol are you taking and how often?
 
Mary I think some of us are just swellers for lack of a better term. My knee still swells easily too and has never really gone completely down. I think part of it is that it is still learning to do new movements and needs to gain strength. I notice if I have been standing a lot I tend to have more swelling.

One thing I did for work was to by some thigh high compression hose 15-20mm graduated compression. They really really help with the swelling. I got them at the medical supply store for patients and medical workers. They are by Jobst. You may try some of these for days you up a lot. They measured me and fitted me and you do not need a presciption. I found they give much better support than support hose and also keep my legs from being so tierd at work.

Goodluck with getting your swelling down.

Donna
 
Donna, we are slowly approaching our anniversaries! Isn't it good to finish up this year with a happy outcome?

Well the swelling seems to be just joint effusion. Other than the knee, the leg is not swollen. It was so much better on NSAIDs.

I'm working in a school for migrant children for three weeks, and was keeping an eye on some 3 year olds. A couple of those cute little kiddos came over and touched one knee saying "hot" and the other saying "cold." Yeah, my TKA knee is still quite hot. Trying to just let time take care of it. But I'm finding stairs difficult again (especially going down) since getting off NSAIDs.
 
Hi Mary,

I am glad you are doing well. I still wear my support hose if I am going to be working. They really help me to not swell.

I am finally off of Coumadin due to post surgery blood clots. I feel so much better. I am trying to stay off of the Aleve and Tylenol. I take one coated baby aspirin a day. I do pretty good most of the time.

The thing that has helped me the most is getting in the water to swim or take Aqua Zumba. The water has made a difference in pain level,ROM,and strength.:thumb:
So good to hear from you. I think we had surgery about the same time. It has been quite a journey.
 
Mary, I also found that my swelling would go down after a water workout. The pressure of the external water helps with the swelling. Kelly
 
I would use a compression brace back when my knee would swell. Effusions are usually manifestations of inflammation and too bad you had to go off the anti's.
I was also told I couldn't use them after I was diagnosed with erosive gastritis during an endoscopy. I lasted 5 days, then politely told my GI doc I was going on them again.
Ice also helps, as does elevtion but you know that. I found that the compression brace (different than compression hose) was the most useful while on my feet all day at work.
Sandy
 
Yeah, I also use a compression brace. It also just makes the knee feel better because it overrides the weird bionic knee sensations.

I am carefully re-introducing Alleve. Maybe if I use it just during the daytime I'll have less of side effects.

Thanks for all of your replies.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom