TKR Turtle still hoping to cross the finish line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Mary, saw you mention kayaks, and I had to chime in. It's too hot to hike down here in FL during the summer, so I have a kayak, too....an Osprey that I really enjoy. I hadn't thought about manuvering the cockpit post-tka, though. Guess I better practice on land before I push off.
Hope you had a great day today!
 
Hi,

Well when we dunk it's COLD. When you dunk in Florida it's warm!

I didn't do a dry run. I've been in and out of a kayak for 18 years, and I've gotten good at it because I don't like that cold dunk. I'm sure you'll do fine. I think we develop superior upper body strength and control as our knees deteriorate, and that's what gets me into and out of the kayak.
 
I've had pes anserus bursitis (medial knee) for a few weeks. I notice if I skip my celebrex it's much worse. My ortho wanted me to use conservative measures to address it but it doesn't seem to be improving. At what point do I "give in" and go get a cortisone injection? I'm thinking this morning when for the first time I had sharp pain when stretching my an indication to do the cortisone route.
 
Hey Mary; you might try Wobenzym.
It is a natural anti inflammatory that is an enzyme
It seems to help me at times.
I get real leery of trying to live off Ibuprophen, celebrex and the like..
Those have their side effects too.
 
Thanks for the tip lionsm13.
 
I spent a little time there in Saco/Biddeford, kinda liked it there actually.
Would have liked to spend more time in Portland..
Great Chowdahhhh!
Love Haddock, such a good clean fish!!
One of the best by farrrrrr.

Keep being patient with this TKR thing and exercise it as tolerated and don't try to force it.. It won't do any good.. It'll come.
 
Total meltdown today. Knee hurt after a lot of driving, plus I have this lump on the lateral front side the knee that bulges even more when I bend the knee. Hard to know what it is. Doesn't hurt, just looks like something that shouldn't be there. Bursitis still bothering me.

To tell the truth, I still regret having undergone TKA, but trust my feelings will change with time.
 
Oh Mary I hate to hear you are struggling so. I remember taking a long car ride at about 4 months and it really made my knee angry. Do you have an appointment with the OS soon. Maybe you should call them and let them check to see if there is something that could help. With the additional procedures you have had I would think that would make you progress wise a few months behind those who had theirs around the same time. With that said we all progress at different rates and different knees on the same person progress different too usually. I know what you mean about wishing you had never done this. I have cried that many times myself but then sometimes things go well and I get excited and realize also I had no choice. Staying where I was was a downhill slide to more pain and disability. It is just that this recovery is so full of UPS and DOWNS. The long nature of it is hard too. Sometimes you feel you are banging your head on a brick wall and getting no where. But please hang in there. Come here for comfort. I truly hope you get better days soon.

Donna
LTKR 12/06/2010
Left knee manipulated 05/13/2011
 
So sorry to hear you're hurting, Mary. I hope you can take it easy for a few days and let yourself heal from the driving....obviously a bit much activity for you right now. ((((HUGS))))
 
Well the full story is that just about the time I started to turn the corner on my knee recovery, in February, three months out from TKA, I unknowingly became dependent on a drug I was prescribed for sleep. The tapering off and withdrawal from that drug has consumed the last 8 weeks and is fairly miserable, resulting in additional stress not only to me but in my home life.

I'm getting lots of support and doing all that can be done to keep my head above water, and this forum has been wonderful. I wish the knee would be a little less troublesome. Who wouldn't?

I think I will call the OS office and get that cortisone shot. One thing I know for sure, the celebrex makes a huge difference in my pain. The withdrawal process involves a lot of gastrointestinal distress so I don't know if the Celebrex is upsetting my stomach or the withdrawal or both. Trying to keep the faith that it will all sort itself out.

Very lucky to have a great, loving, patient husband.
 
Mary have you tried the topical Voltaren gel. It is not as absorbed systemically and so easier on your stomach. My OS gave me some samples with a script so I could try it before I filled the RX. I remember when I stopped my hydrocodone I did not feel well for a couple of weeks so I only took it three days with this manipulation and switched to tramadol again. I hate having to take medicine but we will not have to forever. Hang in there and I'm glad your family is supportive.

Donna
LTKR 12/06/2010
Left knee manipulated 05/13/2011
 
Hi Donna,

Yes I have voltaren gel. I can't tell if it's working.

It was xanax that I got dependent on. Poison!
 
I was able to get some rest with the Tylenol PM the other night. Have you tried that? What I am addicted to is my MP3 player! I have this electic mix of music that I've been listening to for the last 3 months. Seems that is what I have to have to really get to sleep.
P.S. we are in the 50s down here in Florida. If I fell in from my kayak, I would get hypothermia!!! <G>
 
I went to the drugstore today and picked up a couple of OTC sleep aids including an herbal one. Both hubbie and I have trouble sleeping and so we'll give it a shot. Last night it was the "good" knee that interrupted my sleep.

I guess the weather has been cool all up and down the Eastern seabord. Fifties in Florida? Yeah, better watch out for hypothermia.
 
Mary, Alteril works good.. I believe that it has the same ingredient in it(Tryptophan) that puts you in a "Turkey coma" at Thanksgiving.
Walmart sells it.
Here is a link for with reviews on it Alteril Sleep Aid


It feels like winter here in the Black Hills of South Dakota again. No snow, for us in the lower elevations 4300 feet, but very well could snow in the higher elevations. We are supposed to get 2-4 inches of rain in the next 36 hours or so..
Not good for all already swollen creeks.
 
Alteril -- OK, great. That's actually what I got. Will try tonight!
 
How did the Alteril work? I found that when I took the prescribed 2 caplets of the Tylenol PM, I was really groggy the next morning, so I'm able to do with just one at night.
P.S. 97 today in N. Florida - summer is here!
 
Mary,

For a while when I was in the middle of PT, a lump suddenly appeared on the side of my knee. My IS told me it was synovial fluid that had accumulated and had no place to go. After starting lymph edema treatments, it started going down, and now it is gone. It didn't hurt, "it just stuck out like a sore thumb!":snork:

Maybe yours is synovial fluid also. Just a thought since it doesn't hurt.:wink1:

I know that you said that you regret having the TKR, but I hope your feelings change with time. You have had a rough time of it!:friends:

I don't regret either TKR even though I have had trouble with the right knee. It is so much better than what I had!:yahoo:
 
I've been away from BoneSmart for a few days, on a trip to visit family in the DC area, and to get warm! Maine weather has been horrible this Spring in addition to the Winter from h--- we had.

But I digress! I decided not to do PT during my trip. That plus wearing a lightweight compression knee brace has made me feel like a different person. The brace is just stretchy material that makes me feel like I'm wearing a stretchy brace and not like I have an alien knee. Its purpose is purely sensory. Which makes my whole nervous system happier! Highly recommend it.

And the Alteril works and I've been sleeping better!!

I mailed a photo of my lumpy knee to the OS but have not heard anything back. Have decided not to worry. I'm walking well and not thinking about my knee much at all thanks to my brace, and am one happy camper for a change!
 
Well, that's just GREAT news, Mary!!! So glad to hear you're smiling.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom