problems 16 months post-TKR
I posted this yesterday on my old thread but it quickly slipped to page two of the knee recovery forum. Thank you campervan and megababyrn (I'm also an RN) for replying.
I had my knee aspirated yesterday for the first time since TKA by a rheumatologist investigating the cause of my persistent effusion. He's going on two theories for the problem: one is some arthritic condition, but he doesn't know the extent of any remaining synovium (has sent a letter to my OS who is presently out of town). His other theory is low-grade infection. The aspirate was pink and a bit cloudy.
I know I have to wait until the cultures come back in a week to know anything, but I'm thinking pink and cloudy means infection, which explains the arthrofibrosis of my early recovery, the heat still in the knee, and the current effusion. As a result of all this, my right quad is still atrophied (despite biking every day for a month during our Florida vacation), and my right hip is showing the strain.
I am trying to not to jump ahead and catastrophrize 2012 (2011 was hell because of this knee and other things), but I need, for my own sanity, to do some preliminary mapping of the coming months while waiting for the culture results. I still have my now 94 y.o. mother in my care (in her house nearby with 24 hour caregivers; my siblings live far away), and a wedding (step-son) plus other life things.
I'm understanding that this will involve a two-stage treatment. What I've learned the hard way and on this forum will really help me negotiate this better than the first time. But how quickly do I need to act once I get the results of the culture? Do I meet with my original OS? Or do I just get a referral to a revision surgeon ASAP?
Last year I received lots of lessons in patience and acceptance, and I guess that was only a level 101 course because it's looking like I need to learn a whole lot more patience and acceptance.
Any advice, encouragement, or words of wisdom appreciated!
__________________