TKR Turtle still hoping to cross the finish line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Josephine. Very helpful.
 
I guess it's a good thing when you become practically a stranger on a knee replacement forum. There were weeks when I was on this forum multiple times a day looking for answers or sympathy, and reading what was up with fellow sufferers.

I'm thrilled to report that my effusion, at 13 months, is finally subsiding and I can go all day without thinking about my knee. It's starting to feel a part of me. What a miracle!
 
Woo hoo!:yes 4:
 
Mary, I'm so happy to read your latest post. It does prove that even those with a slower recovery do get there eventually! Your strength and spirit saw you through and your story will be a huge benefit for anyone else out there having a bit of a rough time with their knee recovery. God bless you, hon.
 
I'm so glad to hear that, it gives me hope. :yes 4:
 
Hello Mary,

We used to be on here frequently as we went through our knee journey. I am so glad to hear that things have worked out for you! Happy New Year. :flowerysmile:
 
I'm so happy to hear your news. I still have swelling and effusion and struggling to get the bending to go down steps. You give me hope I will eventually get there too. Yeah turtles!!

Donna
 
Donna, Bees Knees, so nice to hear from you old pals. Gosh, there was a time when I could not see beyond my despair except for the warmth of bonesmarties like you and so many others. wow.

I'm vacationing in Florida for this month, a long planned time out from our regular lives and the hell of 2011 which included not only the difficult TKA recovery but months-long withdrawal from benzos, six months of narcotic use, and care of 90 y.o. mom.

Today I kayaked and biked without having to compensate for a leg that doesn't like bending. It still has much effusion but is very slowly improving. I'm guessing I have 130 degree bend and can feel that it will go another 10 degrees but not with this effusion. It's nice to have the benefit of hindsight and so many months post TKR to have a more relaxed and reasonable perspective.
 
Well bad news.

I was just evaluated by a rheumatologist to get to the bottom of my year-long effusion which has not resolved. He was very methodical and thorough, and organized. After getting a complete history, he tried to call my OS right then and there to see if my OS had cultured the synovial fluid when my arthroscopic lysis of lesions took place. But my OS is out of town. So without being able to answer that question, he aspirated my knee.

Right off I knew something was wrong because it was pink. The doctor said only, "Well it's not TOO cloudy." But it's cloudy. And already he was thinking there was a low grade infection.

I am trying to not to jump ahead and catastophrize 2012 (2011 was hell because of this knee and other things), but I need to map out my life. I still have my now 94 y.o. mother in my care (in her house nearby with 24 hour caregivers), and a wedding (step-son) plus other life things. PLEASE GIVE ME A GLIMPSE OF WHAT I'M FACING.

Does a long-standing low grade infection mean revision? I certainly at this point would go to the lead orthopedic surgeons in my state. I had a friend who had his spacer replaced and the knee washed out, and that was that. Still a wide-open surgery, but one instead of two.

It's going to take time to even get in to be seen by Drs. Becker or Kelly in Portland ME nevermind set up surgery. I'm supposed to see the rheumatologist again in a month but it seems once the cultures come back it's time to get the ball rolling toward resolution. I'm not suffering per se but yet I'd like to get going on whatever new path I'm on. Help!!!?
 
Mary, I am just saying hello. I am fairly new. How frustrating this has all been for you. You knew something was up. I am hoping it's not an infection!! I am sure Jo will be around soon! Good luck.
 
Hi Mary, Just sending you good wishes and letting you know we're all hear to support you as best we can cyberwise. As Megan above say, Josephine will be along soon I'm sure with help.
 
problems 16 months post-TKR

I posted this yesterday on my old thread but it quickly slipped to page two of the knee recovery forum. Thank you campervan and megababyrn (I'm also an RN) for replying.

I had my knee aspirated yesterday for the first time since TKA by a rheumatologist investigating the cause of my persistent effusion. He's going on two theories for the problem: one is some arthritic condition, but he doesn't know the extent of any remaining synovium (has sent a letter to my OS who is presently out of town). His other theory is low-grade infection. The aspirate was pink and a bit cloudy.

I know I have to wait until the cultures come back in a week to know anything, but I'm thinking pink and cloudy means infection, which explains the arthrofibrosis of my early recovery, the heat still in the knee, and the current effusion. As a result of all this, my right quad is still atrophied (despite biking every day for a month during our Florida vacation), and my right hip is showing the strain.

I am trying to not to jump ahead and catastrophrize 2012 (2011 was hell because of this knee and other things), but I need, for my own sanity, to do some preliminary mapping of the coming months while waiting for the culture results. I still have my now 94 y.o. mother in my care (in her house nearby with 24 hour caregivers; my siblings live far away), and a wedding (step-son) plus other life things.

I'm understanding that this will involve a two-stage treatment. What I've learned the hard way and on this forum will really help me negotiate this better than the first time. But how quickly do I need to act once I get the results of the culture? Do I meet with my original OS? Or do I just get a referral to a revision surgeon ASAP?

Last year I received lots of lessons in patience and acceptance, and I guess that was only a level 101 course because it's looking like I need to learn a whole lot more patience and acceptance.

Any advice, encouragement, or words of wisdom appreciated!

__________________
 
Mary, I was thinking of you yesterday and had hoped you were doing better. You've had to deal with so much and I hope someone can give you answers and steer you in the right direction.
 
Thank you Sunflower (appropriately nicknamed).

Since I've had this so long the rheumatologist and I decided before the knee aspiration that there was no hurry . . . but now that I've seen the aspirate, I'm not feeling very relaxed. It's like waiting for the other shoe to drop!
 
Hopefully Josephine will provide information to help you in your decision. Having RA certainly complicates the issue, let alone infection in the joint. :sigh: I really hope for you that is not the issue. :prayer1: Why does life have to be so complicated? :frown:
 
Re: problems 16 months post-TKR

Luckily today I worked and that kept my mind off my knee. But so hard to wait until culture results . . . while knowing that pink aspirate is just not good news.:skeptical:
 
Re: problems 16 months post-TKR

Hi Mary,I don't have a whole lot of imput, but I would get an appointment with a revision specialist. I am sure someone will come along and string your threads together too.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom