TKR Turtle still hoping to cross the finish line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I ventured in my sea kayak. It was 60 but quite windy so I only did a tiny distance in a sheltered area. The point was seeing if I could in and out of the kayak, and I did, and I was even dry when all was said and done.

I have given up yoga and a mild exercise class, as they seemed to be provoking my knee. For now and the foreseeable future, I'm sticking to my daily stretches and some leg lifts with ankle weights as discussed with OS, and walking. I rub Voltaren cream in 3x day. I've already seen results of my new-found moderation, my knee less stiff past 90 degrees, and the bursitis seems to be settling down. But that's today. We'll see what tomorrow brings! I know I'm not off of that roller coaster yet!

Well at least no one accuses me of not being stubborn!
 
Awesome job! I love kayaking, mostly on lakes. Last summer we paddled out to the middle of a smallish lake in NH, I jumped overboard an Swam back to shore along my husband paddling. I was so proud, but man was I sore afterwards!
Sandy
 
You are doing fine! You have made some excellent decisions and your body is responding in kind. Things can move slowly, but they are moving. Kayaking sounds like a lot of fun---I would like to try that some day.

I am sorry that the roller coaster ride hasn't found its way to the end of the ride, yet, but your attitude and your perseverance are amazing!
 
That's great, Mary!
I am looking forward to being able to kayak again this summer. The past two summers I have been recovering from my tkrs so I am really hoping that my doctors can figure out what's going on so I can get back to it. I live on a small lake and always enjoyed going out in the early mornings in past summers.
 
Coachie, does your kayak have a large cockpit opening? Mine does not. I bought it back in 1993. But over the course of having a bad knee I developed a lot of upper body strength and can hoist myself out using my good leg (at least I hope it's still good) and my arms. My TKA leg just doesn't bend enough for that maneuver.

My kayak is a great serotonin generator.
 
My kayak is a Loon 138 from Old Town Canoe. I bought it at a spring sale at the Old Town Canoe shop probably 12 years ago and really enjoyed it for a lot of years. It does not have a very big opening- I have a really hard time getting out of it because I just don't bend that well. I'm hoping to get back into it this summer as I think it would be great for me to use. Right now my nieces and nephews enjoy using it- so at least it's getting some use!
 
Mine is a tandem sit on top kayak. LOVE it, and you can easily get in and out of it. My hubby sits in front, Max (the lab) in the middle, and me in the back. Can't wait to get back out on it, but the water MUST be warmer.
Sandy
 
IT is great to read that you folks are doing things that once must have brought you discomfort and pain. Now, (and it has been a long time) you are getting an opportunity to enjoy those very same things that may have hurt you in the past---I think that that is wonderful.
 
Yesterday for the first time, there was no pain when I did my stretching routines!!!!!!!!!!

Plus took pain pill for pain only once (at night) the last two days.

Met with med-surg nurse manager today to review my rather mediocre in-patient care. Had meant to do it months ago but was too consumed with my recovery to do so.

Maybe will even get my life back!
 
Maryo
Of course you will get your ife back!!!
Just remember that you are in the slow lane with me and I'm sure several others.
I find that some days my knee is great, with nary a pain, then I' have a day like yesterday, wake up and it is sore, REST all day (day off), then be in much pain at night needing percocet. Today a bit sore but not needing any meds whatsoever for pain and I'm running around in the office.
Go figure.
This w/e going out on my mountain and road bikes in NH, if there is no snow and mud....well, there is always mud and I usually love it. Kayaking will wait till the water is warm enough so my butt doesn't freeze!!!
Best,
Sandy
 
Before TKA, I was working two per diem nursing jobs. I have not worked since. BUT, Friday the 13th is my lucky day because I'm working in my town's K-8 school filling in for school nurse. It's a fun, rewarding job. I'll get to feel useful again!!!!!
 
Mary I love my kayak too and am hoping to be in it again soon this summer. I have a Pungo by Wilderness Systems. It has a large opening and I can stretch out in it.

I made the decision with my OS today to go ahead with a manipulation since I function around 90 to 100 and cant really flex that far without my PT session of a long warm up and lots of bending and assistance on her part. I hope it will help me get back to those hiking and kayak days again.

It is great you got in yours and did not even get wet. The first time I went out in a kayak was in the Sea of Cortes in Mexico. I was hooked and came home to buy my own.

Glad you are making good progress and able to return to work again.

Donna
 
"Feeling useful again."..I love that phrase. Hanging out with co-workers does boast your spirits and that wonderful natural drug in our brain, Serotonin. So happy you're feeling better!
Friday the 13th is a Lucky day for me, too! :biggrin:
Darlene
 
Mary, I'm so happy for you. I know this day where you could go back to nursing has been a long time coming for you. God bless you, hon.....you MADE IT!!!
 
Mary I hope you have a wonderful day at work today doing what you love.

Donna
LTKR 12/06/2010
Manipulation scheduled 05/13/2011
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom