TKR Turtle still hoping to cross the finish line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Mary, just want to know something. My doctor is concerned that if he does arthroscopic surgery that will set me back. No long does it take to recover from the procedure. What is arthogenic muscle inhibition.
 
Mary, I also applaud your attitude--in my opinion, it is aways better to look at the positives---not that I always take my own sage advice! The one thing that I struggled with, was to make sure that I did not do any intensive pt for 8 weeks. My pt wanted the knee to heal without becoming inflamed. He still did rom exercises on the table, I did leg lifts, etc--but not as much weight bearing as I have done in the past.

As a result, I am a little behind for ski season and he has urged me to "take it easy", which I am going to do. but, my kneecap is still moving and I can squat without pain.

Mary, you have learned so much about arthofibrosis and your posts are really excellent. Thanks for the help you have offered to others---for me, it helps me to help others and I think it is the same for you. I sure hope this makes a difference in your knee and that life can move on for you. Kelly
 
Josephine, you sound pretty lucid for post-op/surg. Hope things proceed smoothly.

The first months after TKR, I had a truckload of hopelessness, dread, and just all around bum outlook. It's been fun to offer hope to others, which I consider a central role for a nurse. I especially enjoy offering a hand to those with ROM issues and arthrofibrosis. Arthrofibrosis is a curse, poorly understood, and hard to resolve. Even though my knee is a little unstable -- a thicker insert might've been better -- I consider myself lucky to have had the OS I have despite his modest little orthopedic practice. He has been a true ally in getting me through a challenging and frustrating time.
 
Mary, I hope and pray this procedure gives you stability so that you can finally move forward with your knee. You have been through so much, but you ALWAYS are positive and helpful for others. You are a bright shining star here on BoneSmart and I hope you'll always be around to provide that sterling advice and hope for other members!!!
 
Mary,
I'm late in offering my condolences, but I am so very sorry about the loss of your mother. My mum passed away two years ago, and I truly lost my best friend, so I understand a bit of what you're going through.

I hope the news on the knee front continues to be good.
 
Wow Mary I am not sure I even realized that arthroscopies were done on post op tkr patients. Good for you for getting it taken care of and you sure didn't let on about all the trouble you were having when you helped me with your great advice. I am so sorry about your Mom. No matter what age it is so sad and hard to adjust to the loss.
 
Mary, I think Jamie said what I think in a better way than I did!!! You must be a great nurse---and I am also sorry that you have had to go through difficulties---I am also plenty sorry for myself too.

Seriously though, you have just the right tone and are such an asset to the forum. Kelly
 
Birdiegirl, I can see that we highjacked your thread. I do not know what arthogenic muscle inhibition is, but I will tag
Josephine and Orthodoc since one of them will know. Kelly
 
Sorry, I have no idea what arthrogenic muscle inhibition is. Never heard of it and can't find any unrestricted articles on it either.
 
Birdie, the arthroscopic procedure is really minor compared to TKR. This last one, the spinal injection holes (4) hurt worse than the knee. It doesn't sound as if your ortho thinks you need such a procedure OR perhaps it's outside of his comfort zone. But without my first one in Feb. 2011, I'd have a bend of 70 degrees or worse because it was still going backward at that point.

"A consequence of knee joint osteoarthritis (OA) is an inability to fully activate the quadriceps muscles, a problem termed arthrogenic muscle inhibition (AMI). AMI leads to marked quadriceps weakness that impairs physical function and may hasten disease progression." My personal physician picked up on it because he has it and said it took a while before he figured it out because at the time he could not find reference to it anywhere. Even just an effusion can cause this neurological alteration.

Thanks for all your wonderful comments. BTW it's relaxing to come on this forum and chime in so I will stick around.
 
Arthrogenic muscle inhibition is not a term that is frequently used in the orthopaedic literature. I have come across it in the rehab and neurological literature.

However, the concept of quads or hamstring "shutdown" after a trauma or effusion is very well known to orthopedists. We see this phenomenon frequently. The best treatments for this includes: fixing the root cause of the injury/arthritis (surgery or injections), or use of non-operative modalities such as physical therapy or electrical muscle stimulation.

Orthodoc
 
Thanks for your comments, Orthodoc. I'm hoping that the last procedure will resolve the knee enough that my time with the physiatrist will really pay off.
 
That Might explain the problem with riding the bike which i stil cannot do. My doctor says it very important to get on the bike. My knee was in such bad condition before the sugery. My quad strength was a 2 on a scale of 10 and I still have weakness although it has improved. But I also have pressure in my quad just when I even flex my toes. I don't know if its from the effusion or what.
 
Orthodoc Thanks so much for the information!!!!
 
Hi! Mary, just getting back on the forum and trying to catch up. I too hope this last procedure will give you what you need. You've been such a trooper and so helpful to many others. Fingers and toes crossed for you. Take care.
[Bonesmart.org] Turtle still hoping to cross the finish line
 
Mary, I am just catching up too and glad to see this positive turn of events for you! I hope it keeps getting better!
 
How are you doing maryo52?
Hope that you are improving and getting stronger.
I wish you a peaceful Christmas with beautiful memories of your mother.
 
I am now 6 weeks post-arthroscopy and have come under the care of a physiatrist and have started a program of restoring my quad. Progressing well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom