TKR Turtle still hoping to cross the finish line

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet you are, petal! and I really hope you get some.
 
They do look alike. My kitty is named Spike -- I have his littermate sister -- Anya, I just had to stop Spike from pushing everything off the coffee table. He feels it is his duty to clear off all surfaces. Drives my husband crazy.
My husband is leaving for KS in the morning to pick up his parents to take them to the visitation and funeral of his uncle (his dad's brother -- started 8 kids in the family and now only 2 boys left). He fell and was having hip surgery and never woke up. He had heart issues and lupus...but it was a surprise. I guess no one around can take my mil/fil to the funeral about a 2 hour drive south. So they keep calling and asking exactly what time is he going to be there...They want to be there for the visistation. Then at work today they asked if he could come home a day earlier because they need him in ND for some issues. So I guess he comes home on Thursday and goes to ND on Friday...hopefully he will be home for the weekend. I just found out they made need him to stay up there a while.
I just wish I could get some energy to do more. I see my new GP on Wed and dread it. It is always such a pain to have to go over everything and I never know how it will go. I hope she knows a better OS.
Mary sorry I took over your thread. I was just thinking about the cats and then thinking about how much my cats will miss my husband (They have him wrapped around their paws) -- one look and he melts.
Mary I really hope you find some answers and options to what you can do to make things better. Let me know your cat's name -- when we adopted Spike they thought he was a girl and called him Moonflower and when they figured out he was a he they called him Moony -- I just felt he needed a masculine name hence Spike!
Take care...rest when you need to..
Greda
 
Greta, I wish more people would "take over my thread" and liven it up. I've been wondering inwardly and out loud for many many months what the heck is wrong with my knee and it's become monotonous!

Re: trying to find a better OS. It's hard because there seems to be an ortho in every town big enough to have a medical center or hospital. I chose to go out of state and suddenly there are 100s and 1,000s of orthos to consider. I used a couple of online sites: Becker's "70 of the Best Knee Surgeons" and US News and World Report. Then I look at their website (not healthgrades or the like).

broken link removed: https://www.beckersorthopedicandspine.com/orthopedic-spine-industry-leaders/item/2708-70-of-the-best-knee-surgeons-in-america-named-by-beckers-orthopedic--spine-review

Greta, you are so young for so much trouble! I hope things ease up for you. Sometimes it helps to to take a friend/medical friend to appointments.
 
Mary,
Since we have moved to SD I have had to go to all of my appts. alone. I do miss taking my husband with me, but he has been busy with his new job and out of town. I don't have any family or anyone to come with me. I am apprehensive about seeing a new GP.
I really hope you find the right OS, who can help you. I will look the online sites you mentioned..I am so tired of this knee and I am sure you are tired of yours too.
Take care,
Greda
 
Greda,

Where do you live in SD? I have been through there many times as I was heading to Montana to visit my relatives. My Dad grew up In near Plentywood MT, right across the border from Regina Canada. We would cross into Canada and go shopping. they just loved my TX accent up north!:th_heehee:
 
Mary,

I am sad that I won't be able to meet you but I understand! I hope that the drs. in Mass can get this figured out!:friends:
 
I've just been to Dr. Freiberg at Mass. General. First the fellow came in. I always love being in a learning environment. Then came in Dr. F, friendly and light in his manner.

After his exam, what he said was, "I see hundreds of people like you every year." I replied, "Tall? Red hair?"

What he meant is that he sees 100s of people a year with knee replacements that aren't very good. He said TKRs should have some laxity but mine has too much; it has valgus so my knees knock (as they did before TKR); and as a result there is chronic synovitis. He also explained that the arthrofibrosis I suffered through could've been due to operative technique. So, bottom line, my mistake was the doctor I chose to do my TKR. I do have the option of having the whole thing redone, and at this point we both agreed that living with it is the better option. But at some point the mild disability (lack of strength in the bent position, insecurity going up stairs and uphill, or down stairs and downhill), plus knocking knees may worsen and a revision will seem like the better option.

Basically I'm in shock. I have gone to great pains for 40 years to be as healthy as possible. I traded in a bum knee for a different somewhat bum knee. I'm feeing mad, I'm feeling sad, I'm feeling hugely let down.

I may pursue another opinion but on the other hand what was said today seems to fit.

Blah!
 
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with your knee, hopefully it will get worked out eventually. Try to hang in there.
I know that's easy for me to say as i have not had tkrs yet, just scopes, one helped the other didn't.
But I can feel your frustration in your post, you want it fixed like yesterday. I am praying they find the best solution for you, so you can go on to live a pain free life from your knees:prayer1:
 
Mary, I'm so sorry! You know, we do our due diligence, we ask the right questions, we choose to the best of our ability, and then it's a gamble as to whether we are the 90% or the 10%. It would be an interesting question to have asked him how you could have avoided this outcome.

I like your comeback! (Tall? Red hair?)
 
Mary,
I am so sorry. It has to be really disappointing news, Are you tstill thinking about getting another opinion? I know it takes a lot to process. Did they tell you anything that could help or if there in anything in the future you will be able to do? If you can get another opinion I think you should. Many times with my jaw I was told lots of different things that did seem to fit but later would be told something different from another surgeon that fit too. It is just so complicated and frustrating. You have to do what is best for you -- you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

I have an appt with another OS on Friday. I looked at sites and didn't really have any luck finding any OS within 200 miles. My new GP made an appt with the OS who does specialize in knees -- he wasn't on any list, but I just need to try something.

Sonja -- I live in Aberdeen SD. We have been here since December. I have been told that I have an accent :what: -- I think they are the ones with an accent.
Greda
 
The lesson to be learned is, choose your surgeon carefully I guess.

So of course questions came up in my mind afterward. I asked if a different spacer would help. Maybe one that's thicker on the medial side to compensate for my valgus. He said that doesn't work too well. I need to explore getting my quad strengthened. I am reminded how very bad I am at accepting news that to me is unacceptable!
 
I am still hoping to get thoughts on this situation. Am I without any recourse except a total revision?

I woke up so depressed today. I am on the Advisory Committee of my hospital and we have a big meeting this morning. That is the hospital where my TKR was done. I had previously thought I received a quality TKR but that the hospital experience was not very good. Now I learn that both weren't so good. It will be challenging sticking to the agenda today and not blurting something embarrassing!! Oh well.

Jo, do I just live with what I have then? Got new xrays but will not have copies until a week or two.
 
Mary, Just want to share that my family visits Maine every summer. We hope to retire there we love it that much. We generally visit kind of near Ellsworth, although this summer we will also visit Moosehead Lake area as well.
Maybe you should go to just one more specialist and get another opinion. Hospital for Special Surgery in NY specializes in unusual difficult cases. It might be worth a try just for peace of mind. Good Luck with your decision.
 
Boy, Mary, does patience ever lose a chance to be needed? You will need it if you choose one or both of the solutions: strengthen the legs and/or wait for mild disability to worsen. I think I'd want a more immediate solution.

It's disheartening to learn that the lower leg wasn't aligned properly. I thought that he TKR kits come will all sorts of jigs and doodads to make sure that all bits were placed correctly. :sigh:

How do you choose a second opinion?
 
PooShay -- Yeah, what about those doodads and jigs? Oh, I know . . . he didn't read the instructions!!!

Jancat, I live 45 minutes from Ellsworth. BTW is there a doc at HSS you'd recommend? I think that's a good idea.
 
Mary, My OS was Dr. Steven B. Haas, who I highly recommend, but not sure if he does revisions. I would go to anyone there, honestly. I'd go to the website and look at who does revisions or complex revisions or something more than just joint replacement. I don't think you can go wrong with that decision.
My daughter needs ACL repair, and although it is supposed to be a fairly straightforward procedure, I now want her to have the surgery with the docs at HSS because my experience there was that impressive. I work in a hospital and consider my self very critical of them, and I was truly impressed with every person at every level that I encountered there. https://www.hss.edu/why-choose-hss.asp
Wishing you the best!
 
Jancat, I had been looking at HSS anyhow but now I'm more motivated. Thanks!
 
Mary, I don't think you can go wrong with HSS. They have a place across the street to stay overnight (not cheap but what is cheap in NY?). It takes me 2.5 hours each way from NJ when I go. I think it will be worth the time and trouble.
Good luck.
 
Mary, I have way too much time on my hands today and so while I was icing and elevating after PT I looked up all the knee OS at HSS that did knee 'revisions' or 'complex revisions'. Here they are: David Mayman, Mathias Bostrum, Alejandro Gonzalez Della Valle, Edwin Su, Geoffrey Westrich, Russell Windsor, Amar Ranawat, Michael Parks, Robert Marx, Robert Buly, and Friedrich Boettner. Now you can look them up yourself and see what you think! Have fun!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom